Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

21 minutes ago, KHCast said:

...are we really getting this technical? Skull Kid during the events of MM is a villain, whether it’s by his own will or not. Yes it’s technically the mask doing everything, but up until that moment it comes off, he’s considered a villain in the context of the story, and does villain things. Obviously the smash version would be pre mm ending, thus allowing his villain status 

Technically, the actual villain, and that which he's referred during which is Majora to be fair. Nonetheless, I digress.

I just don't find Skull kid all that entertaining or interesting. Most of his actions are more Majora than himself throughout that game's events, and either way I'd rather not have one-game villains. I suggest Impa because she's in a whole bunch of Zelda games and is one of the more prominent recurring characters, and the massive differences in her appearance and sort of role mean they could basically pick and choose whichever design elements for her they want and it'd fit even though they should go with the HW version because she's hot

If we're talking Zelda reps, I'd definitely be glad to see Impa, Skull Kid, or Tetra. Impa's got plenty of appearances to draw inspiration from (though due to that it's hard to guess what direction they'd go; personally I'd hope for either Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors style), and Skull Kid and Tetra are both pretty unique for Zelda characters and memorable despite being one-shots. Tingle also wouldn't be terrible, but, eh, Zelda's already getting two short green-clothed reps so I'd bump him down the list just to have more visual variety.

None of the other reasonable options really stand out to me. BotW's champions were ok but I don't feel like they're popular enough for Smash (plus there'd be the question of which one to add), and this might be more personal taste than anything but I don't feel like Zant or Ghirahim or Yuga or any other one-shot villains left enough of a mark that they'd be in high demand.

23 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I just don't find Skull kid all that entertaining or interesting. Most of his actions are more Majora than himself throughout that game's events

Eh, not really. Skull Kid was kind of an asshole prankster even before he got the mask; the mask was more like the devil on his shoulder, empowering him and pushing him to pull even bigger "pranks". He certainly wouldn't have done everything he did without the mask, but it was taking advantage of feelings and inclinations that were already there and not just straight possessing him.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think if you want to add more Zelda characters you'll have to accept the fact that you'll be adding one offs. The series only has 3 mainstay characters. The rest are quite literally one offs or close to it besides Impa, who has 5 or 6 appearances.

Hell, Sheik is a one off.

• Thumbs Up 8

That's why I think Impa and Skull Kid are the most likely candidates, since they each have a few incarnations. Not because that's a requirement to get into Smash really but (straight up) more people have probably been asking for them--I don't recall seeing Midna in any polls, for example.

Impa could make a good Sheik Echo, I think. Off the top of my head I dunno any other Zelda character I'd want. I mean... I still want BotW Zelda, but that ain't gonna happen.

I guess uh... What's that one evil lady called? The one with blue skin and the ugly hat? She seemed cool. We don't have any female villains aside from Dark Samus.

1 hour ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I guess uh... What's that one evil lady called? The one with blue skin and the ugly hat? She seemed cool. We don't have any female villains aside from Dark Samus.

Veran, from Oracle Of Ages?  Her whole schtick is possessing people, and transforming into a bunch of weird monsters in her final boss fight, so I don't know if she'd translate terribly well to Smash.

I saw Pig Ganon thrown out as a option earlier. Would that be a good choice? I mean we have different incarnations of Link, so I mean why not have different forms of Ganon’s malice pulled from the different timelines? 

Also, off topic slightly, but if BotW link can get his classic link look as a outfit, we better fucking get for Toon Link his spirit train outfit or outset island costume.>=U

45 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

No love for Vaati. How sad.

He makes great Soulsborne videos and has got plenty of attention.....oh wait you mean that other Vaati XP

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I guess you have to ask, "Which Vaati?"  He's essentially a different character with a different appearance, abilities, and backstory between FS/FSA and Minish Cap.  ...Looking back, the Four Swords elements in Minish Cap seem like a pretty late addition; I bet the villain wasn't originally Vaati.

If anyone is interested in my  2 random 3rd party guesses from me:

Chrono (Square Enix)

Heihachi (Tekken)

Midna would have been my first choice for a new Zelda rep before she was confirmed to return as an Assist Trophy. Having said that, any of Skull Kid, Impa, Zant and Tetra (so long as retains her pirate outfit) would be cool. The way Zant fought was really entertaining but the likelihood of him being chosen is incredibly slim.

Yo real talk, has Impa ever actually... done anything? Most of what I can think of is just exposition and using a Deku Nut that one time in OoT. And fair enough, Sakurai has made characters with a lot less, but people make it sound like she has this huge wealth of material to draw from and frankly I'm just not seeing it from any perspective bar seniority. Sure, she has a moveset in HW but you could say the same thing about Skull Kid really.

She held off Ghirahim with a barrier for a bit in SS. Generally though, yeah, she doesn't actively do a whole lot on screen, but it's less about what we've seen her do and more about what's implied. The Sheikah are basically Hyrule's ninja clan, she's the sage of shadow in OoT, she's shown some amount of magical power, and she's usually pretty buff (or at least athletically lithe in SS) when she's not elderly. It's not the widest or deepest pool to draw from, but there are options to play with even if they were to set aside Hyrule Warriors defining a combat style for her.

Also just noting that Shiek has a beautifully animated and fully fleshed moveset that's also entirely 100% BS aside from the smoke bomb. They made a whole kit up because they liked the character design.  The only thing she does in OOT is play the harp and that's not a thing in Smash somehow.

And make no mistake, her kit is fucking awesome and I wouldn't change it for the world:
CoolFantasticArcticseal-size_restricted.

But still. I think any Zelda character would be easy to make stuff up for. Popularity is what'll decide it imo and Impa hasn't ever exactly been a breakout character like Sheik/Midna/Skull Kid etc. I'm actually surprised she gets mentioned so often when it comes to this game because she's never left an impression on me.

I've played OOT about... three(-ish) times and I still had to look up whether or not Impa was in the game because I couldn't remember while reading this topic

• Chuckle 1

They could go with Hyrule Warriors Impa, though I don't know if there's licensing issues with Koei Tecmo or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always felt as if Shiek filled that Sheikah niche, cause isn’t she technically one(or at least taking the label as part of her disguise)?

C'mon guys, seriously?  We just had an entire Zelda game focus heavily on the Sheikah. 

If Simon Belmont can have a move set with abilities from other Belmonts, then any ability used by the Sheikah (or Yiga) in Breath of the Wild should be fair game for Impa.  Teleportation, summoning, clone generation, wind blades...whatever.

And before anyone says, "but she was too old in that game!" just use a younger version of her.  Past versions of Purah and Robbie showed up in one of Link's flashbacks, do the same thing with Impa.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, G-Force said:

C'mon guys, seriously?  We just had an entire Zelda game focus heavily on the Sheikah. 

If Simon Belmont can have a move set with abilities from other Belmonts, then any ability used by the Sheikah (or Yiga) in Breath of the Wild should be fair game for Impa.  Teleportation, summoning, clone generation, wind blades...whatever.

And before anyone says, "but she was too old in that game!" just use a younger version of her.  Past versions of Purah and Robbie showed up in one of Link's flashbacks, do the same thing with Impa.

This, pretty much. I agree completely with this idea. Just design a young version of BotW Impa based on BotW Old Impa and past Young Impa designs.

I doubt Sakurai saw enough of BotW in advance to do that, though. At least for base roster. Even in terms of the Sheikah Slate itself--I think that could go to Impa.

However, I think if we get Impa she'll just be an Echo of Sheik, because in reality, what is Sheik except Zelda trained in the way of the Sheikah by Impa? Its pretty obvious what the implications are. Similar to what Sakurai said about Richter--"Well, Simon already pulls moves from Richter, so in a way, they're both echoing each other"

Either way, Impa is IMO the best pick for a new Zelda fighter. I don't know about these Skull Kid rumors at all but he just doesn't feel like the right pick IMO.

If Impa makes it in, I'd want her SS design. It's a cool look. Pig Ganon would be really cool to play as a full character with the Trident of Power. I love Skull Kid, so it'd be nice to get him in. Vaati, too, but he seems extremely unlikely.

I'd be legit angry if Dixie got in and she was just a dumb echo fighter of Diddy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

We seriously better get something like this 

how funny, there was recently a video shared by David Hayter's Facebook page for the MGS movie also involving Patrick Zimmerman reprising his role as Ocelot, as a sort of status update for what is going on with production.