Jump to content
Sonictrainer

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - PLEASE SPOILER TAG LEAKS

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

So no Shadow?

Vergeben barely has any additional info. Presumably the only leaked Echo Fighter he ever got was Ken. He never leaked any prior Echo Fighter, nor did he leak King K. Rool. Vergeben not mentioning Shadow doesn't mean anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Let's agree that it's someone with "o' in the name.

You mean Sephiroth?  He's the perfect fit with the life/death and rival theming going on with the game seeing as he is more or less a harbinger of death in his home series (Meteor/Geostigma anyone?) and is the eternal rival of a true messianic figure in the form of Cloud (has made use of the Lifestream in his series, by way of restructuring his fragmented mind with Tifa's aid and curing those infected by Geostigma with water flowing with the Lifestream in it in a way that almost resembles a baptism).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tailikku said:

You mean Sephiroth?  He's the perfect fit with the life/death and rival theming going on with the game seeing as he is more or less a harbinger of death in his home series (Meteor/Geostigma anyone?) and is the eternal rival of a true messianic figure in the form of Cloud (has made use of the Lifestream in his series, by way of restructuring his fragmented mind with Tifa's aid and curing those infected by Geostigma with water flowing with the Lifestream in it in a way that almost resembles a baptism).

So, am I the only person around here who thinks that if Square Enix does get another character, it should, you know, NOT be from Final Fantasy?

I mean, I know that basically no one is gonna back me up on this, but I think a Dragon Quest character would be pretty well justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Why are we insinuating they WONT get another rep when Capcom, Sega and Konami all have multiple? Seems less likely they wouldn’t get one at this point 

Remember that they're the company that only let 2 songs be put in Ultimate as far as we know. However, Sakurai convinced Konami to put Snake and some Belmonts in, so he might be able to work some magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad Breath of the Wild Link looks so cool in his normal design because while the Tunic of the Wild looks better here than it does in BotW proper, it still looks doofy as heck.  Shorts just do not suit adult Link at all to me.  Twilight Princess remains my favourite adult Link design (and I'll always be thankful they stuck with it for Smash 4 instead of using the boring SS design).

But yeah, regular BotW Link is here looking as handsome/beautiful/androgynously pleasing to the eye as usual so "classic" Link having a lame design is no biggie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Remember that they're the company that only let 2 songs be put in Ultimate as far as we know. However, Sakurai convinced Konami to put Snake and some Belmonts in, so he might be able to work some magic.

FF7's music situation is unfortunate, but there's probably a lot more to it than meets the eye. It's not a matter of Square not wanting to play ball; the rights to game soundtracks, sometimes even individual songs from games, can belong to multiple different parties. Getting the rights to more songs may not have been feasible.

19 hours ago, G-Force said:

So, am I the only person around here who thinks that if Square Enix does get another character, it should, you know, NOT be from Final Fantasy?

I mean, I know that basically no one is gonna back me up on this, but I think a Dragon Quest character would be pretty well justified.

You're definitely not alone!

Give us Erdrick/Loto or some other Dragon Quest hero. 

dragonquest3.jpg

Dragon Quest is far and away one of the most significant franchises not represented in Smash-- and easily Square's biggest. It's the grandfather of the JRPG genre, and its influence can be seen in everything from Final Fantasy to Pokemon. Hell, the Mother franchise is a spoof of DQ specifically

Only concern is just how much legal red tape there is surrounding DQ, even if it's crossed over with Nintendo before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solly said:

FF7's music situation is unfortunate, but there's probably a lot more to it than meets the eye. It's not a matter of Square not wanting to play ball; the rights to game soundtracks, sometimes even individual songs from games, can belong to multiple different parties. Getting the rights to more songs may not have been feasible.

You're definitely not alone!

Give us Erdrick/Loto or some other Dragon Quest hero. 

dragonquest3.jpg

Dragon Quest is far and away one of the most significant franchises not represented in Smash-- and easily Square's biggest. It's the grandfather of the JRPG genre, and its influence can be seen in everything from Final Fantasy to Pokemon. Hell, the Mother franchise is a spoof of DQ specifically

Only concern is just how much legal red tape there is surrounding DQ, even if it's crossed over with Nintendo before.

Well the big one is involving Akira Toriyama, since he's the one behind character designs.  Sakurai would have to get the green light from Bird Studio/Toriyama for him to use his designs.

 

Which is another reason why

c39.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not that it probably means anything, but that’s cool lol. It at least shows that square are aware of the high desire for Sora.

edit: apparently this is making a big frenzy in both communities, so I may have been wrong with my initial comment. Oh shit boys. Sora4smash lives on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KHCast said:

not that it probably means anything, but that’s cool lol. It at least shows that square are aware of the high desire for Sora.

edit: apparently this is making a big frenzy in both communities, so I may have been wrong with my initial comment. Oh shit boys. Sora4smash lives on!

See, since it would likely would be under NDA, people would normally take this as deconformation like when Matt Walker commented directly on Dante not being in Smash. 

But then the tweet got deleted. Cue the frenzy. 

On the whole, I wouldn't mind. Sora is still one of my favorite videogame characters, and that would be another Smash reveal I've called with my SSMB Heroes cast-list anyway. 

@Ryannumber1gamer @DanJ86 @Failinhearts @Crow the BOOLET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this would piss more people off than get excited because of the whole geno thing though. At this point seems he’s wanted incredibly more than Sora. Even sakurai has wanted Geno in. Though from a business perspective, makes more sense to market Sora with KH3 releasing so close to it. They’re two of the biggest games coming out winter. And I’m sure Nintendo greatly would grab square fans attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally be surprised if Sora made it in over a Dragon Quest character. A new game has just come out and as mentioned above, is second only to Final Fantasy in the Square pantheon of games. It even started on Nintendo consoles, much like Castlevania. That is unless Sakurai feels that it's more suited to a boss encounter over a character (ala Monster Hunter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, a new kh game is also releasing. And is probably gonna outsell the recent dragon quest. People seem to forget how much of a powerhouse kh has become. And it does have Nintendo ties. So I don’t get why it’d be surprising to see him show up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 9:21 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:
On 9/17/2018 at 1:45 AM, Chili Dawg said:

The mystery Square-Enix character is no mystery. It's Geno.

 

On 9/17/2018 at 8:21 AM, Tailikku said:

That's a wierd way to spell Sephiroth

 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:08 AM, Johnny Boy said:

I think you spelled Sora wrong.

Let's agree that it's someone with "o' in the name. There, now I'm save from someone mentioning Chrono. Unless you said "Black Mage" than I'm screwed.

God forbid it be Noctis to coincide with Final Fantasy XV on the Switch.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, Forte-Metallix said:

We've got a new alt announced: Crafted Yoshi! Plus our first clean look at artwork for alternates like Pikachu Libre, Inkling Boy, and Female Robin!

View image on Twitter

And last but not least, Alph!

*waits patiently for Koopaling artwork*

Mmmmhmmm! it's nice that they got permission from Nintendo to showcase them! Speaking of which! ENgwF4A.png

That Meta Ridley model is something sublime!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I mean, a new kh game is also releasing. And is probably gonna outsell the recent dragon quest. People seem to forget how much of a powerhouse kh has become. And it does have Nintendo ties. So I don’t get why it’d be surprising to see him show up

It would only seem odd over Dragon Quest, given its significance.

EDIT: Hang on, looking it up, KH3's not even on the Switch? That makes Sora even more unlikely, surely? I must be massively late to the party on this, lol. I have very little interest in Square games. =p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Hang on, looking it up, KH3's not even on the Switch? That makes Sora even more unlikely, surely?

Heh, I remember when people made fun of folks like moi for voting for Cloud who was supposedly on even less. Look how that turned out. He was the most voted-for Final Fantasy character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pawn said:

It would only seem odd over Dragon Quest, given its significance.

EDIT: Hang on, looking it up, KH3's not even on the Switch? That makes Sora even more unlikely, surely? I must be massively late to the party on this, lol. I have very little interest in Square games. =p

Remind me again, Dragon quest 11 is currently...

and again, he has a history with Nintendo, even if his current games won’t come to switch. I mean hell, people are asking for banjo due to his history with Nintendo despite never probably getting the games on their system anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Heh, I remember when people made fun of folks like moi for voting for Cloud who was supposedly on even less. Look how that turned out. He was the most voted-for Final Fantasy character.

True, but Final Fantasy is Square's biggest franchise and Cloud is by far its most recognisable character. I don't think Sora's impossible, but the fact that his upcoming game is only being released for the competition would suggest the odds aren't in his favour.

EDIT:

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Remind me again, Dragon quest 11 is currently...

and again, he has a history with Nintendo, even if his current games won’t come to switch. I mean hell, people are asking for banjo due to his history with Nintendo despite never probably getting the games on their system anymore. 

OK, I didn't realise that the Switch version of DQ XI was so far off, but at least it's actually intended to happen. And I'm not saying that Sora has no history with Nintendo. It's just that, while he began his journey exclusive to the PlayStation, DQ established itself longer ago and on the NES, no less.

But who knows. I don't really have any personal stake in the decision, so it makes no difference to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s on 3DS? Huh, never saw or heard about that. 

Ultimately, my personal feelings here are that Sora has just as much a shot as any other square rep, and that this tweet situation certainly has got that back on my radar as it indicates how square and Nintendo are very aware of Sora’s requests, and possibly have talked about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragon Quest has always been a huge deal in Japan even if it isn't in the west. Kingdom Hearts is kind of a big series but the sales have declined with every release and Dragon Quest has almost tripled KH lifetime salesI(24 million vs 71 million)

Both KH and DQ have a history with Nintendo but Cloud was the first character from square to get into Smash so we know that doesn't really matter.

Sora could be in smash but the tweet doesn't really mean anything. He could be sharing the OP's enthusiasm and realized it sounds like a confirmation and deleted it. Similar things have happened in the past

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I was thinking I would be the only one willing to speak up for Dragon Quest, and now we're having a legitimate conversation about the possibility.  Warms my icy heart.

Personally, I don't really care that much about how significant DQ is to Nintendo because, well, that ship has already sailed with Cloud.  However, I would like to point out that Nintendo has actively helped publish some of the games outside of Japan.  They published IX, as well as the DS and 3DS versions of VI and VII, respectively.  The Wii and Wii U were also the first consoles to get X, though admittedly only in Japan.  And as has been said before, XI is on the 3DS in Japan, and is coming to the Switch.  There's some significance there.

When it comes to Sora, the main reason I'm kind of against him is because Kingdom Hearts is basically just an extension of Final Fantasy.  And I'd rather have someone from something that's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.