Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

It's just clouds

proxy.png?width=639&height=500

proxy.png

Very easy mistake to make but the art without the characters on it leaked too and..yeah.

It can't be

Cloud is between Pikachu and Isabelle on the lower portion of the picture.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 7

Pokémon not getting a new rep is fine in my book. Especially given they seem to be branding Pokémon lately off nostalgia so the reps we have to me do a decent enough job. However yeah, if they’re gonna do a new rep at this point, it’s gonna be dlc if anything.

Speaking of which let’s talk Sora. Geno was no doubt gonna get in as a starting base roster character. There was way too much to indicate him showing ranging all the way back to the older Smash games(I believe he was a idea sakurai wanted since 64).  However with all that, I don’t think I’d consider Geno THE Square rep, considering he’s co-owned by Nintendo, and would probably be put in the Mario category. I just don’t think business wise, there’s much in it for Square Enix to promote him as their rep. So likely scenario for me is sakurai approached them for Geno, and they agreed IF they were allowed to also use a more relavent rep for them specifically. Probably another FF7 Rep or Sora due to KH3 releasing so close to smash. And I’m assuming it was either they’d both be base, OR Geno in base and the second Square pick as dlc

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Pokémon not getting a new rep is fine in my book. Especially given they seem to be branding Pokémon lately off nostalgia so the reps we have to me do a decent enough job. However yeah, if they’re gonna do a new rep at this point, it’s gonna be dlc if anything.

Speaking of which let’s talk Sora. Geno was no doubt gonna get in as a starting base roster character. There was way too much to indicate him showing ranging all the way back to the older Smash games(I believe he was a idea sakurai wanted since 64).  However with all that, I don’t think I’d consider Geno THE Square rep, considering he’s co-owned by Nintendo, and would probably be put in the Mario category. I just don’t think business wise, there’s much in it for Square Enix to promote him as their rep. So likely scenario for me is sakurai approached them for Geno, and they agreed IF they were allowed to also use a more relavent rep for them specifically. Probably another FF7 Rep or Sora due to KH3 releasing so close to smash. And I’m assuming it was either they’d both be base, OR Geno in base and the second Square pick as dlc

Sakurai isn't likely to put Sora in if KH3 isn't coming to Switch.  Cloud came.  Last month Final Fantasy 7 was finally announced for Switch.  Banjo-Kazooie are "leaked."  A N64 Classic trademark was recently filed, and a webpage for Banjo-Kazooie appeared on the UK Nintendo site.  Sora won't make it in unless Square plans to bring his biggest game to date to Switch.

5 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Sakurai isn't likely to put Sora in if KH3 isn't coming to Switch.  Cloud came.  Last month Final Fantasy 7 was finally announced for Switch.  Banjo-Kazooie are "leaked."  A N64 Classic trademark was recently filed, and a webpage for Banjo-Kazooie appeared on the UK Nintendo site.  Sora won't make it in unless Square plans to bring his biggest game to date to Switch.

Difference with cloud is Sora already has a Nintendo history.

• Thumbs Up 1

One small thing to point out, some of the counter arguments on the leak are that these are just too many characters to be announced when we're almost a month away from the game. It's worth noting that there's a LOT we still don't know about the game, including the mystery mode Sakurai teased the last direct, so it's not impossible that they'll just make a Smash Direct soon to promote the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Difference with cloud is Sora already has a Nintendo history.

Difference with Sora is Cloud plays an overall representative of the Final Fantasy series, for he is the most well known character in the series. And Final Fantasy is a series with a looong ass history with Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I always got the impression Cloud was picked for being recognizable to even casual fans rather than because of any plans bring FFVII, either the remake or the original over, especially when nobody even knew what the NX was going to be when Cloud was announced. Honestly, he never made sense to me when they could go with an actual Nintendo-based FF character and give them a boost.

I can't say the same for Sora and Banjo, since they both already have a history, and in the latter's case Nintendo and Microsoft have a much different relationship now. They might be securing rights to get Banjo's games re-released in some fashion under Nintendo, but even if they weren't, I think he'd still make sense. Sora I'm half and half about because I don't know how the rights with him shake out, but I think he'd make a decent DLC pick (even if I don't particularly care about him) since there's at least some history there.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Difference with Sora is Cloud plays an overall representative of the Final Fantasy series, for he is the most well known character in the series. And Final Fantasy is a series with a looong ass history with Nintendo.

Yeah that doesn’t really counter Sora/Kingdom Hearts still having close ties with Nintendo regardless...

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Sora I'm half and half about because I don't know how the rights with him shake out, 

Disney seems fine with it 

Plus there’s that shinji tweet that got deleted 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Phil, you make me ANGRY, Phil!

Coulda stopped one of THESE leaks, Phil!

You better be careful with you wording before Phil Swift decides to deal with it first-hand...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Disney seems fine with it 

Gotta say, it's cool how Disney values their relationship with Square-Enix and Nomura even though they appear the own the character outright. Always nice seeing that respect, so it'd be pretty interesting to see if things work out and Nintendo got the OK to use him.

• Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Honestly, he never made sense to me when they could go with an actual Nintendo-based FF character and give them a boost

I think the fact that he was the most voted for of the Final Fantasy reps in the ballot,  is reason enough. 

I'm still getting mileage out of that vote I made. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Right now I'm on team neutral. If this is real I'll be both happy since some of these characters are guys people have been requesting for years and I already got Inklings and K.Rool so I really can't complain about who makes the cut. But on the other hand I'll be sad since Sakurai and his team worked really hard to keep all this a surprised for everybody. 

The biggest shock to me is that Ms. Pac-Man isn't an echo fighter and there's no new Pokemon rep. That's really weird

42 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Gotta say, it's cool how Disney values their relationship with Square-Enix and Nomura even though they appear the own the character outright. Always nice seeing that respect, so it'd be pretty interesting to see if things work out and Nintendo got the OK to use him.

Yeah, kinda funny tht the relationship between Disney, Square, and Nomura seems to be seen as the opposite, and Disney is seen as hard handed and cold and stubborn, when they seem to actively express an interest in exposing KH to more media outside its own franchise

(side note, I feel you don’t actually ask fans about if they want the character, and tease and blatantly answer questions regarding a characters chances of getting in, unless they’re getting in somehow. Similar to how the shovel knight guys would respond kinda teasingly)

Banjo Kazooie only make sense if the N64 Mini has those games in the pack. Otherwise, what a slot wasted that could have been for a long staying character that does well on Nintendo consoles and has been consistently a Nintendo friendly franchise. 

Rayman ought to be a shoo in at this point especially given that he was practicaly the original Arms fighter. He threw his fist to longer distances before Spring Man and Ribbon Girl ever did. Come on. I play Smash for unique characters fighting one another and Ken the Video Game Man Clone Masters might be one of those newcomers? Boo

Also I'm not digging Mach Rider even if she's another woman rep in the game. She's just Captain Falcon on a bike. That's lamer than Dark Pit and the several Fire Emblem reps. This effort would have been better spent on Shantae and/or Lilac. 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

I think the fact that he was the most voted for of the Final Fantasy reps in the ballot,  is reason enough. 

I'm still getting mileage out of that vote I made. 

I dunno. It's been suggested both he and Bayonetta (the declared ballot winner) were already being worked on and in the data of the game well before either of them were revealed. I don't put much stock in fans having any direct influence over that particular decision and the ballot was probably used as a way of both feeling out potential newcomers for a next title as well as at least justifying those two later on. I mean, whatever the case it is, it paid off and I can see the logic in picking Cloud (and for the record, I don't have anything against the character), but he never struck me as the most appropriate choice because of his history.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, the facts don't lie. And I doubt Nintendo would lie about Cloud really winning that vote. 

Whether he was planned already or not is irrelevant as he still got those votes fair and Square showing that there's a lot of interest in him joining the brawl,  and there ain't nothing his dissenters can do about it.

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

but he never struck me as the most appropriate choice because of his history.

Ehh,  "Nintendo History" tends to be a bit of an overrated fan made rule anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Ehh,  "Nintendo History" tends to be a bit of an overrated fan made rule anyway. 

Doesn't stop us from having K. Rool, Duck Hunt Dog, Ice Climbers, and (apparently) Banjo Kazooie and Mach Rider. 

I think the fan rule seems to be an in company rule too. 

1 minute ago, LongcrierCat said:

Doesn't stop us from having K. Rool, Duck Hunt Dog, Ice Climbers, and (apparently) Banjo Kazooie and Mach Rider. 

I think the fan rule seems to be an in company rule too. 

Got shattered with Cloud.

Not saying Nintendo history doesn't help. Lord knows,  I'm counting on it for Phoenix Wright. But it's not the golden rule that fanatics sometimes make it out to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That's fair enough. 

But you and I would like it to be the case given that you want Phoenix Wright and I want Rayman. 

I was also thinking of Sans or Lilac just because an Indie Rep that is really unique would really spice things up in the roster. Again, I play Smash to play as some of my favourite game characters in a ridiculous fighting party game. I think the Fire Emblem cast taking up such a sizable portion in Sm4sh really soured me last time because it wasn't feeling like the Smash I know. Like "Wow, these characters are colourful and silly and weird put together but they're fighting each other to death battles? Wow what?" That kind of feeling. 

17 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Hey, the facts don't lie. And I doubt Nintendo would lie about Cloud really winning that vote. 

Considering Bayonetta's win has been contested ever since that news I linked broke, I think Nintendo's marketing would lie.

Whether he was planned already or not is irrelevant as he still got those votes esque and Square,  and there ain't nothing his dissenters can do about it.

I don't know how you can say the "facts don't lie" and say something like this so matter-of-fact. I think it's pretty clear Cloud was chosen for marketing reasons and sheer shock value because people were joking about him since the Brawl days.

It's probably out the window now with Cloud, but it seems to be a reasonable expectation. Even Solid Snake had games released on the Gamecube well before Brawl was even being worked on. Cloud is literally from the game Square left Nintendo to make on Playstation.

6 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

don't know how you can say the "facts don't lie" and say something like this so matter-of-fact. I think it's pretty clear Cloud was chosen for marketing reasons and sheer shock value because people were joking about him since the Brawl days.

Even that alone should suggest that he had a huge backing. And to be fair,  when it comes to Bayonetta, they didn't even explicitly say she won. She only placed first in Europe anyway. 

Show me an active source to directly proves what was said about Cloud voting-wumise to be bunk and- then you've got a suitable argument to make. 

Either way,  he's popular,  and an iconic videogame character that would help draw in more consumers. Obvious and easy reason to include him,  that the vote just happened to have data supporting such. 

@Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley I think that Nintendo put him in to get Final Fantasy 7.  It seems that, if the leak is true, they worked with Microsoft to get Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, and there's ironically a page on the Nintendo UK website for the game.  Anyways, they just filed a trademark for the  Nintendo 64 Classic Console.  It seems Nintendo is using Smash to gauge OUR interests.

Or maybe they were just a package

Atm I am saying its fake. As GI said its to poor a job for someone to risk their job to just get a blurry badly taken picture just for 8 secs of internet rep