Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

14 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

@Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley I think that Nintendo put him in to get Final Fantasy 7.  

Wouldn't surprise me if the Switch also gets the FFVII remake to boot along with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Ehh,  "Nintendo History" tends to be a bit of an overrated fan made rule anyway. 

This would mean a lot if you one of your main reasons for why Phoenix deserves to be in Smash wasn't because of his history with Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Even that alone should suggest that he had a huge backing. And to be fair,  when it comes to Bayonetta, they didn't even explicitly say she won. She only placed first in Europe anyway. 

Show me an active source to directly proves what was said about Cloud voting-wumise to be bunk and- then you've got a suitable argument to make. 

Either way,  he's popular,  and an iconic videogame character that would help draw in more consumers. Obvious and easy reason to include him,  that the vote just happened to have data supporting such. 

All I'm saying is that it seems he was going to be included anyway and I don't see anything to suggest the ballot had any real effect on Smash 4. It's more likely being seen with Ultimate--nearly every new fighter and echo are fan favorites that missed the boat last time or didn't seem as easily realizable before (see "Too Big" Ridley). The article I linked quotes a series of tweets that suggest they were added in the data the same time as Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. I wouldn't run around claiming the ballot was the deciding factor; characters take a long time to develop, there's no way they were looking at it that closely with 4.

My original point is that I understand why Cloud was included (he's recognizable) but I don't agree with his inclusion.

• Thumbs Up 2

So more info on this leak. Apparently there’s a source Papageno entirely trusts and knows, and his sources come from Microsoft confirming banjo. There’s also someone named Spawnwave who’s saying aside from Incineroar not being here there’s another character he knows of not on here leading him to say it’s fake. PapaGeno is guessing if this mystery character is getting his own separate announcement outside these 7, that would be a hype magnet, it may be Sora at somewhere like the game awards. Not gonna lie, all this mystery and discussion around this leak has me hella interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KHCast said:

So more info on this leak. Apparently there’s a source Papageno entirely trusts and knows, and his sources come from Microsoft confirming banjo. There’s also someone named Spawnwave who’s saying aside from Incineroar not being here there’s another character he knows of not on here leading him to say it’s fake. PapaGeno is guessing if this mystery character is getting his own separate announcement outside these 7, that would be a hype magnet, it may be Sora at somewhere like the game awards. Not gonna lie, all this mystery and discussion around this leak has me hella interested.

DK Vine all but confirmed they heard Banjo was in as well. (They don't namedrop anyone, but its obvious who DK Vine is talking about.)

https://twitter.com/dkvine/status/1055128928191500289

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

This would mean a lot if you one of your main reasons for why Phoenix deserves to be in Smash wasn't because of his history with Nintendo.

I've never really uttered that as a main reason though. 

Do I consider it a convenient piece of the puzzle? Yes. But it's not one of my main reasons of be all,  and all. That would make me a hypocrite.

No,  my main reasons lie elsewhere for Phoenix Wright getting into Smash. 

A company trying to defuse a leak and claim it’s nothing is nothing new. They still want the reveals to be secret and if they can, they’ll try anything to convince the community they aren’t true.

The leaks themselves could or could not be real, I don’t know, but Nintendo, or the Smash dev team would say it’s fake either way to try maintain surprise.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, its still real. The leak just didn't come from Marina. It came from the company the guy went to after Marina. There's a comment on the reddit thread that explains it, I'll see if I can find it.

Even if it did come from Marina, they're simply lying to cover their tracks. There's no way its fake at this point. But I'm pretty sure its from ACP.

EDIT: Here it is.

The leak still happened, and Marina isn't lying. The leak didn't come from them, it came from the guy's new company, ACP.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

I've never really uttered that as a main reason though. 

Do I consider it a convenient piece of the puzzle? Yes. But it's not one of my main reasons of be all,  and all. That would make me a hypocrite.

No,  my main reasons lie elsewhere for Phoenix Wright getting into Smash. 

But you would use it as a reasoning as to why they would chose Phoenix compared to another character from one of Capcom's bigger known IPs more notably Dante. 

11 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

But you would use it as a reasoning as to why they would chose Phoenix compared to another character from one of Capcom's bigger known IPs more notably Dante. 

Not really. I'd question why Capcom puts Dante instead of Phoenix considering how it would contradict their promise of this year being supposedly big for Ace Attorney fans; a promise that's yet to be seen through.

But if it's a case like Cloud Strife, where Dante somehow had more votes and got in base over Phoenix, then I guess it would sadly make sense. And likely the reason that Shu Takumi had that meeting with Sakurai was for Feenie as DLC later on. That or it would be Capcom being hard headed as usual. Point is, history with Nintendo is a virtue but not the sole deciding factor. 

Point being,  while it's certainly a strength in Phoenix's favor,  which I never denied for anyone,  it's not the golden rule that decides stuff in the end. 

Someone probably already mentioned this, but the images are blurry because they were screenshots of a Snapchat video.

I wonder if Mach Rider could get a helmet off costume? I'm not a huge fan of characters that have hidden faces, aside from Master Chief, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Not really. I'd question why Capcom puts Dante instead of Phoenix considering how it would contradict their promise of this year being supposedly big for Ace Attorney fans; a promise that's yet to be seen through.

But if it's a case like Cloud Strife, where Dante somehow had more votes and got in base over Phoenix, then I guess it would sadly make sense. And likely the reason that Shu Takumi had that meeting with Sakurai was for Feenie as DLC later on. That or it would be Capcom being hard headed as usual. Point is, history with Nintendo is a virtue but not the sole deciding factor. 

Point being,  while it's certainly a strength in Phoenix's favor,  which I never denied for anyone,  it's not the golden rule that decides stuff in the end. 

Well for one it’s PR overhyping something and that’s not exactly new. A PR team mistakenly overhyping something doesn’t mean Phoenix gets some kind of step above someone like Dante who has a lot more market appeal considering he’s been in a lot more multi platform titles and has a new game on the horizon.

I don’t even want Dante in and would vastly prefer Phoenix with a Edgeworth echo but some overhyped promise from the people who are supposed to hype things up isn’t good reasoning for why he’d have a step above anyone else as a Smash entry, especially when to keep said promise, it would’ve been announced at TGS when such a spectacle was made. 

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Smash entry, especially when to keep said promise, it would’ve been announced at TGS when such a spectacle was made. 

A Smash announcement at a non-Nintendo event? Ehhhh,  there was always room for doubt there.

And again,  let's not forget,  even there was that possibility,  Capcom have a knack for making dumb,  baffling decisions. And getting themselves into trouble that they could have easily avoided. 

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

A PR team mistakenly overhyping something doesn’t mean Phoenix gets some kind of step above someone like Dante who has a lot more market appeal considering he’s been in a lot more multi platform titles and has a new game on the horizon.

Good thing I didn't use that as the sole reasoning then. 

It's a combination of things really. Granted,  I've also never said for certain that Phoenix would get in over Dante either. Granted,  as some have stated,  normally in a case like marketing for a reason,  so far it's often because the products upcoming have something that involves Nintendo,  which the DMC5 release presently does not. 

Funnily enough,  Ace Attorney recently sits get annouced to have a bigger spread with more platforms,  while including the Switch. 

Also,  there's the case that,  as mentioned earlier,  one of the producers of the DMC series did make a public statement,  that would break NDAs anyway,  by commenting about Dante not being in. Unless it's a special NDA allowing for denial,  those kinds of things are why people aren't expecting Dante.

But like I said, if it's a case like Cloud Strife and Dante got more votes than Phoenix Wright in the Capcom category,  then that's sadly a legit reason. Which admittedly would be partially Capcom's fault given how poorly they market the Ace Attorney series and waste more money on overpriced collections rather than localization for stuff that was practically gift wrapped to them. Like the android re-release of AAI2. And that's not even getting into Capcom's problems this year with other franchises,  but that's besides the point. 

Dante would be weird. With Cloud, the Final Fantasy series still has a long history with Nintendo, but Devil May Cry has never been on a Nintendo console. I think the only time Dante was on a Nintendo console was the Project X Zone games. Even his infamous appearance in Viewtiful Joe was exclusive to the PS2 version.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm on team super fake. 2018 and trying to pass a blurry puck is real. We haven't done stuff like that since what 03? These days leaks are usually all or nothing. Not a rushed blurry picture that looks like someone was running by a desk to snap a picture

4 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Still Team Fake. Don't buy that it's real, but there there's still a chance it is.

Wouldn't that put you on Team Agonistic then?

14 hours ago, Zaysho said:

. I wouldn't run around claiming the ballot was the deciding factor; characters take a long time to develop, there's no way they were looking at it that closely with 4.

I never did. But I am proud in knowing that my vote went on to help facilitate reasoning behind Cloud's addition nonetheless. 

18 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Wouldn't that put you on Team Agonistic then?

Eh it's more I'm open to it being real....just so it's clear and I'm not 100% fake. I still think it is, but I'm not ruling out the possibility. I think 50/50 is more agnostic in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I'm on team super fake. 2018 and trying to pass a blurry puck is real. We haven't done stuff like that since what 03? These days leaks are usually all or nothing. Not a rushed blurry picture that looks like someone was running by a desk to snap a picture

It was a screenshot of a Snapchat video. That's why it's blurry.

The point is that blur is so easy to fake that you can usually do it in about two clicks in photoshop, and said blur can be used to cover up otherwise obvious inconsistencies in artstyle, which has been a consistent trait of fake leaks since like the beginning of time as far as Smash is concerned. While I don't think the roster choices themselves are all too unlikely, I personally wouldn't take the Snapchat excuse at face value.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

It was zoomed in on a pic from a vid that wasn’t focused on the mural, all on top of everything else that leads it to be considered legit, and why it’s still being discussed over 24 hours later 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the whole blurry image aspect is where I'm kind of torn.

On one hand, supposedly this wasn't even meant to be presented as any sort of leak and was just a random Snapchat video sent to a friend, and there just happened to be something that wasn't meant to be seen in the background, and the friend was only able to get those low-quality screenshots from the video, which would completely explain the blurriness and everything if this were the case.

On the other hand, if this were fake, passing it off as a screenshot from a Snapchat video that's no longer available would be the perfect reasoning for the picture being so blurry and low-quality (which I'm sure would make the image itself a whole lot easier to Photoshop to look like a real thing).

I don't know anymore. I think I'm still staying neutral on this, but, I still really want this to be real. I'll just have to keep tempering my excitement in case this does turn out to be fake.

Also, yeah, if this is real, I would feel really bad for Sakurai and his team. I know how much he hates leaks, and considering how major this is, it must be tearing him apart if it's all legitimate. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

If it does somehow turn out real, I wonder if Sakurai is just gonna say fuck everything...kinda like the reaction to the whole Subspace stuff.