Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Well that was a Direct all right. There was excitement, confusion, anger... lots of anger, and excitement again, kinda. Trophies are gone, which means challenges are gone too. Piranha Plant being a fighter is funny, but having to buy him through a pre-order or from My Nintendo Gold Coins makes my insides boil a bit. 

Also, almost no talk of the single-player content besides Adventure mode though...? You spent time on the Help section and Spectator mode but nothing on Games & More? Come on.

Piranha Plant is the coolest shit, and a testament to just how wacky Smash should be. They could have had Petey, but a generic Piranha in this case is just so much more creative. In how many other fighting games would something like a Piranha Plant even begin to work? 

Don't give a toss about Ken or Incineroar.

• Thumbs Up 5

They really spend time and money in making a regular Piranha Plant a playable character? I have to give them probs for surprising me with this move. But still... they choose a regular enemy over characters like Issac, Shovel Knight, Shadow, Waluigi, Dixie Kong and Spring Man? 

• Too Many Rings 1

Hokay, uh....

Positive points:

• Incineroar was cool I guess...

Negative points:

• Shadow's an assist trophy. Meaning Sonic has two assists. RIP in pieces
  • No Decidueye but I guess hes in Pokken
  • Guillie's remixed theme sucks.

The FUKIN DIDNT SEE THAT COMING points:

• The Spirit/Story mode at the last second pulling an INFINITY WAR (kinda...)
  • Piranah Plant as a fighter-

And the ironic part is...it's actually got an interesting fighting style.

Overall it was meh, (Prolly because I dont have a switch so i cant play the game rip) Kinda disappointed that Wright didn't get in but they confirmed DLC so I can still low key hope. Things I'm looking forward to the game now is the animations of all characters and the music.

• Thumbs Up 1

Woulda loved Tails. Sad he didn't even get assist trophy treatment but only spirit. Well if a spirit can become DLC he has a chance.

Sometimes it hurts to be right. Though my expectations were prepared for this. 

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, dbzfan7 said:

Woulda loved Tails. Sad he didn't even get assist trophy treatment but only spirit. Well if a spirit can become DLC he has a chance.

Sometimes it hurts to be right. Though my expectations were prepared for this. 

All I wanted was Tails and/or Isaac to be happy... and instead I got a Piranha Plant.  Why did he even get considered?

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

All I wanted was Tails and/or Isaac to be happy... and instead I got a Piranha Plant.  Why did he even get considered?

It's the potential totem pole that saddens me most more than not being in.

• Promotion 1

Wait... did they really say, that their will be no trophies to collect this time around? Man... those where one of my most fun things to do in Smash besides fighting of course. 

• Promotion 1

The single-player mode almost looks interesting enough for me to get the game, so full credit to them for that; looks like an interesting new approach to including ever-more characters in this wildest of crossovers.  And the Golden Sun fan in me is glad to see Isaac back as an Assist Trophy, after his curious absence from Smash 4.

I was a little bit confused about how you obtained Piranha Plant at first, but the press release confirms that pre-ordering just nets you it for free when it comes out, while latecomers will have to pay.  I'm also not entirely clear on whether it constitutes the first DLC character or not, although it looks like it does.  Interesting that the others are already set, by the sound of things.

Can't wait to hear how the Grinch feint was pulled off.  Internal foiler, or wildly over-the-top hoax?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Wait... did they really say, that their will be no trophies to collect this time around? Man... those where one of my most fun things to do in Smash besides fighting of course. 

Makes sense

You would have to keep making trophies, and maybe i'm wrong but I assume that they weren't stealing the models for all those trophies sometimes creating them, that takes dev time. i would also say it might take a lot of space, but people download video games, and Disks hold a crazy amount of space now and I assume the switch cartridges are the same . So maybe if they had more development time.

The way they basically went through and systematically deconfirmed all the wishlist characters was goddamn hilarious.

Anyway they didn't deconfirm Arle, so ARLE NADJA FROM PUYO PUYO FOR SMASH ULTIMATE DLC, WE'RE GOING THERE LAAAAAAAADS 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

The way they basically went through and systematically deconfirmed all the wishlist characters was goddamn hilarious.

If you think that's funny I guess

This Direct was roller coaster of emotions. The moment I saw those flames I just knew it was Incineroar, and Vergeben was right all along.

It was kinda scummy for them to keep Shadow hidden like that for all this time, knowing full well that people are expecting him to be an Echo Fighter. I mean, Street Fighter and Castlevania get Echoes, but not Sonic? Oh well.

The Direct was kinda boring after the first trailer. Spirits mode just seemed like a glorified events mode.

However, the trailer for Adventure Mode was simply amazing. My hype for this game is not dead, but I am disappointed a bit.

Also, Piranha Plant? Who asked for him? 

Well...at least Bandana Dee fans have some consolation. There's no excuse to keep him out of smash at this point, what with a fucking plant in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Incineroar and Piranha Plant's challenger videos are up:

And y'know there's a lot of disappointment with this direct, much of it justified, but I have to say, I appreciate that plant. That is a good plant and I am happy that he is in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, this Direct was pretty disappointing and it''s not really because of characters (though seeing Shadow, Isaac and everyone else that was "leaked"/speculated being assist trophies was kinda sad). Incineroar and Ken being fighters - fine, whatever. Shadow and every other assist trophy being, well, assist trophies - whatever. The 2 main things that actively annoyed me (that's not characters-wise) are
1) Season pass being a thing. I mean, at least it's not lootboxes or w/e, but I never was a fan of Season passes, and this sure won't change my mind.
2) Why exactly was this Direct 40 minutes? Sure, they talked about the new characters, showed a little bit of Adventure mode (which looks pretty neat, especially when EVERYONE IN THE GALAXY JUST FUCKING DIES), some online stuff, but why show every freaking menu option for 10 minutes, and then put so much attention to the Spirits thing? Like, when you look at it, it's sort of stat customization from Smash 4 + mutators, just a little bit more in-depth. This Direct shouldn't have been 40 minutes

In terms of characters I'm annoyed at Piranha Plant being a thing. Out of all characters, even first party ones, you choose Piranha Plant. And it's apparently a pre-order bonus? W H Y Y Y Y Y Y Y ?!

Ahem anyway, everything else was whatever. Which sucks, I expected a bit more of hype things. Oh well

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Incineroar and Piranha Plant's challenger videos are up:

And y'know there's a lot of disappointment with this direct, much of it justified, but I have to say, I appreciate that plant. That is a good plant and I am happy that he is in Smash.

Parahna plant is the one i'm least upset about

That's some weird shit , i'm into that

Wish it was pety though,

...I just want to say F#@$ you to everyone who made fake leaks with Shadow. I'm considering to say the same to every dummy who shared them, but I guess I'm the biggest dummy for reading them.

YES, I AM SALTY! I could live with Shadow not being in Smash, but toying with his fandom (leaks, not revealing his AT so long, etc) is jus cruel.

6 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Season pass being a thing. I mean, at least it's not lootboxes or w/e, but I never was a fan of Season passes, and this sure won't change my mind.

...this isn’t new. Mario kart, Hyrule Warriors, BotW All had them and didn’t fall into the bs most AAA games do when it comes to it. Least imo

Welp, gotta say, not surprised at all on that leak being fake.

But holy crap, that Direct was boring as hell until the Adventure Mode trailer.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

...this isn’t new. Mario kart, Hyrule Warriors, BotW All had them and didn’t fall into the bs most AAA games do when it comes to it. Least imo

I know that, hence why I still hate that they're doing Season passes. "Didn't fall into the bs" barely means anything if I never liked this business model to begin with

• Thumbs Up 1