Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

6 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

The fact that at some point people will have to pay to play as Piranha Plant shows fully how this move is insane under any aspects.
Also, here's a good series of pics that would have fitted better as a big WTF character and would have not been another Mario character:
*Captain Rainbow
*Qbby
*Mr. Saturn
*Excitebiker
*Grace
*Kyle Hyde
*Ricky Winterborn

Yeah, Piranha Plant being a Pre-Order Bonus/My Nintendo "Free" Purchase and then paid DLC in around February irks me.

Those are all good picks, could be potentially even better characters, but I think the point was a WTF that could be recognizable and while those others are bizarre sure, but besides Excitebiker none of them are recognizabe to the wider gaming audience.  

Bandana Dee is actually extremely plausible as a fighter since he's actually one of the main characters of the Kirby series and apparently very much wanted in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

You can say the same about any character from any series. I'm pretty sure no one cares about Richter or Daisy.

Richter is actually heavily like tbh.  He was the main character of one of the most critically acclaimed entries (Rondo of Blood) and also a major player in Symphony of the Night.  He's more hyped everywhere I look than Simon, with more people wanting to play him (According to a Smashboards poll). 

11 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I would be saying that if Simon and Ryu didn't get Echo Fighters.

Even among third party characters Sonic isn't unique in being a loner. Snake, Mega Man, Pac Man, Cloud, and Bayo are all one-shots too, I think all of them have a character that could've plausibly been an echo, and some are at least as "deserving" of one as Street Fighter or Castlevania. But hey, shit happens, not every series gets equal treatment.

15 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

And to add salt to the wound, they intentionally kept Shadow's Assist Trophy from us for all these months, leading 99.99% of people to assume that he will be an Echo, especially after Richter became a thing.

Okay seriously what is with this "intentionally" stuff. We have no reason to think they were intentionally hiding him, rather than him just not ending up in any of the footage of returning ATs they decided to use, or maybe even just not being finished until later.

If you're disappointed a character you wanted didn't get in, fine, probably hardly anyone isn't on some level, but the devs aren't responsible for your runaway imagination.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Well... to be fair, is anyone of Sonic's friends really that relevant nowadays? OK, the same thing I can say about King K. Rool, but do people outside of the Sonic fandom really care much about Sonic's friends as much as we do? 

Sakurai outright admitted that most people would even know who Rhicter even is. 

So if the person who has yet to respond to my query actually has basis for their statement, its probably sega. And you know what, I would believe it, looking at the brand decisions as it stands as of currently , i'll believe Sega 100% fucked up the bag. And there is historical prescient for this, because sonic almost wasn't in brawl, but they changed their minds at the last minute

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Richter is actually heavily like tbh.  He was the main character of one of the most critically acclaimed entries (Rondo of Blood) and also a major player in Symphony of the Night.  He's more hyped everywhere I look than Simon, with more people wanting to play him (According to a Smashboards poll). 

As much as polls for these work for me because they tend to have shadow on them. I never trust them really. 

I bring up shadow being popular is because sega talks about it. If Shadow being popular was a fan theory I wouldn't bring it up as much if at all. I run in a lot of nerd circles and sometimes you see characters propped up by the core fanbase but not by the general audiences. That said I don't think sonic likes this issue because despite us its a casual platformer. And I don't think Zero, Alucard, Shadow or Knuckles are lacking popularity in general audiences by any amount. Espically Alucard who's aces in the netflix anime. 

...Where was I going with this, Oh yeah. I wouldn't trust polls on sites like that, ever. The data is skewed. And I say this even when it leans in my favor , which after this it probably will for shadow and knuckles. But even then, nah. 

My initial disappointment over Shadow and Isaac is basically gone now, and I'm really excited for World of Light. I just hope it has some more cutscenes. I loved how there was voice acting too. And Sonic was actually in it! Sonic wasn't in any CG trailers back in Smash 4.

Spirits seems fun to play around with, and challenges having the comic book theme is pretty sweet too.

There wasn't any Xenoblade Chronicles X content in the Direct, so I'm hoping Elma still has a chance as DLC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I want to make it as clear as I can. If you're posting in here just to stir the shit, then stop. I'm being lenient with some of the Shadow memes, but then I see stuff like the Niboc.Rock picture being posted with comments like "shadow fans btfo" (most likely because of similar fanboy whining I've tried to stop) and this thread is heated enough without someone trying to pile on the salt.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

If we're really letting Piranha Plant in, then I demand we get our Bullet Bill/Bob'Omb combo.

I mean, if you can't get Shadow as an Echo, then you might as well give us something almost as good.

24 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Okay, I want to make it as clear as I can. If you're posting in here just to stir the shit, then stop. I'm being lenient with some of the Shadow memes, but then I see stuff like the Niboc.Rock picture being posted with comments like "shadow fans btfo" (most likely because of similar fanboy whining I've tried to stop) and this thread is heated enough without someone trying to pile on the salt.

Fine I promise stop whining about Shadow

image.png.94bd1405cfbfbc260a5a92e63e2524c5.png

Almost ...One more... aaaand...Okay finished.

• My Emmerdoods 1

16 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

If we're really letting Piranha Plant in, then I demand we get our Bullet Bill/Bob'Omb combo.

I mean, if you can't get Shadow as an Echo, then you might as well give us something almost as good.

It's official. At this rate,  it won't be a surprise if even Bowsette gets in before Waluigi.

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Simon and Ryu

Try again

I don't believe in bias, but this what I think about SF, Castlevania and Nintendo:

Looking at the past, Street Fighter and Castlevania are a much more important part of Nintendo's story than Sonic. Street Fighter II had its first port on SNES and was a important killer app for that console. Castlevania is a franchise with a legendary legacy that was born on the NES and is often associated with it.

Sega and their mascots were Nintendo's biggest rivals on the video game market and Sonic deserves his place, but these franchises were two of the things that made their own consoles be fondly remembered as they are today and both deserve to have 2 or more characters in Smash.

Leaving that aside, we don't know what kind of decisions were made about Shadow or any other character so blaming Sakurai for anything isn't a very wise choice.

The only thing I'm hung up on as far as complaints is the trophies being gone. I knew they were the thing I was anticipating the most but I seriously didn't realize just how much until I heard they're not here anymore. 

I understand, I guess. It's hard making them and I'd rather they not burn themselves out for the whims of a casual fan of Smash. I really wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the other stuff here if it meant they could come back but I'm no game developer so if it truly was that big of an undertaking than alright. It's not like I have any choice but to concede.

I'm slightly more interesting in the Spirits mode now that I know that it's an Adventure mode but not entirely. The "focus on fun not story" thing makes me think that there probably won't be a lot of scenes with the characters interacting in cutscenes with one another. That's basically all I could ask for out of Subspace so it'd be nice to see that again. I hope it's not treated as an occasional formality but we shall see. It's cute watching stuff like Peach offering people tea on board Meta Knight's ship. 

This weird revamp of the Stickers system from Brawl doesn't, at the moment, feel like a satisfying replacement but something is better than nothing I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

Leaving that aside, we don't know what kind of decisions were made about Shadow or any other character so blaming Sakurai for anything isn't a very wise choice.

Oh no i'm not blamaing sakurai for this, or rather i'm not blaming him for this yet. Maybe its my general distrust of sega, sonic team and who's in charge. But if you told me " The reason why he and no other sonic character is in smash is that they were weird about their brand " , I would believe and it would also explain the lack of music. And Square enix with final fantasy is kind of the way. 

So if sakurai was like " nah " i'm like " Darn sakurai why " but  it was probably sega 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

Fourth, yes, World of Light looks cool, but initial cutscene aside how does it unfold? Will it be like a proper story mode with at least text dialogues here and there or the only other major cutscene will be at the end?

I mean...it was explicitly said even in the direct there wouldn’t be a story mode. But yes, they further explained after that no there’d be no form of story after the intro 

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Thanks Dash, I can't even sulk without feeling like idiot. Thanks

No one 'hates' Shadow. I know it's surprising, but Shadow isn't center of the universe. Some people love him, some hates, but majority is just indifferent. STRANGE, ISN'T IT?

EDIT: Also, I don't mind Kirby being the main hero. He's popular, but not overused, like Mario/Pokemon/Zelda. Easy to play, seems like a good choice. Only weird part is that he escaped when everyone else failed, that's silly.

I find that hard believe but believe whatever you want. I never said he had to be the center of things, but I feel they aren't taking his popularity within consideration or even taking it serious at  this point since he's arguably the second most famous side character and popular in sonic. You can't brush off not being included or even brought up during the months of anticipation like this and not call it "hate". It's pure raw irreverence, you don't deserve to call yourself a Shadow fan if you don't think this isn't fair. Ken and a Plant is more popular than Shadow the Hedgehog? Please. 

Just now, Dash Speed said:

I find that hard believe but believe whatever you want. I never said he had to be the center of things, but I feel they are taking his popularity within consideration or even taking it serious at  this point since he's arguably the second most famous side character and popular in sonic. You can't brush off not being included or even brought up during the months of anticipation like this and not call it "hate". It's pure raw irreverence, you don't deserve to call yourself a Shadow fan if you don't think this isn't fair. Ken and a Plant is more popular than Shadow the Hedgehog? Please. 

You realize more goes into roster decisions than popularity. Especially when dealing with having to licence shit from a 3rd party.

Maybe sega's weird about the sonic brand. And if you want shadow in smash bros, make it known. There are forums, there is bount to be another ballot. This game is gonna be around a while, just make your voice heard. 

Also Ken is one of the most famous characters in video games , and in fiction so there's that. But yeah it was probs sega man. Chill

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Let me get this straight. Green Hill and Windy Hill are Sonic's stages. I can get that. But do they both have the exact same music choices, from what I remember Smash 4 only added Lost Worlds theme and that was it.

3 hours ago, Pawnkin said:

I imagine so, or there would be very slim pickings. Either way, the song list could do with a hefty upgrade (at least outside of vocal tracks).

Smash 4 added Lost World's Theme, Windy Hill, Escape from the City and Rooftop Run: Act 2, but it also removed Emerald Hill, Scrap Brain Zone, Sonic Boom and I think one or two others from Brawl.

Sonic's getting a few new songs as we've seen his song total on the My Music footage.  I can't remember exactly what it was now, but worst case scenario we're getting just 1 or 2 new songs for him (that's if all the songs from 4 are back AND they re-add the ones that were only in Brawl).  But it's possible we'll get 6 or so new ones on top of 4's list, OR they'll axe a few from 4 too in order to make room for a more varied selection, who knows.

It is a damn shame that 4 came out when it did.  Sonic really deserves more variety than Green Hill and Green Hill in the sky.  Windy Hill was fine when it was the only Sonic stage in the game, but now it's just a sad artifact of Lost World being the most recent release when 4 came out.  Nowadays, that isn't considered a major release for Sonic at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm personally really excited for Ken, oddly. Ryu is already one of the coolest Smash 4 characters so there's that. 

I think the presentation was a bit sloppy and poorly paced but the character selection is solid. Also if you don't think playing as a potted plant is amazing then get out of my face. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

14 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The grinch leak was a troll and some friends 

D02DE623-F987-4A04-9ECC-0BBAACEB8D55.jpeg

Any proof they're the leakers or if it's just people taking credit?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

It is a damn shame that 4 came out when it did.  Sonic really deserves more variety than Green Hill and Green Hill in the sky.  Windy Hill was fine when it was the only Sonic stage in the game, but now it's just a sad artifact of Lost World being the most recent release when 4 came out.  Nowadays, that isn't considered a major release for Sonic at all.

It's especially disappointing when they could have gone with

slw3__large.jpg

since it covers both Classic and Lost World and is one of the most Sonic-y tropes in the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

You can say the same about any character from any series. I'm pretty sure no one cares about Richter or Daisy.

I can not really speak for Richter, but Daisy seems to have many fans. At least how I see it.

• Thumbs Up 1