Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

24 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Skull Kid?

Assist trophy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It feels good to have an actual surprise character that wasn't preemptively ruined by leaks or insider souces or whatever. I miss those kind of things in my hype phases for video games ya know?

Piranha Plant is exactly that kind of deal, and I appreciate Sakurai for that. 

As for everything else, I wasn't majority disappointed in Spirits itself, but it does suck we lost Trophies for it. It does appear to be a mishmash of Stickers and Event mode now huh. Imma wait for the execution myself to see how it fares toward my enjoyment of the actual smash battles I guess.

All that time explaining it and I come out it as confused I was going in haha. The explanation behind how Online works was complete background noise to me. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Assist trophy. 

I know, I was asking rhetorically with regards to being playable.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

You need to chill. I'm a huge Shadow fan and there is no conspiracy against Shadow or anything.Don't be so dramatic.

I've been a sonic fan for 8 years, outside the sonic fandom Shadow's always been shafted as a lesser edgy Sonic since his debut and became a laughstock ever since iizuka wanted a game about him, since then sonic team puts less the effort in making Shadow a staple breakout star with his own unique focus gameplay from sonic in fear he might damage the series beyond repair. 

48 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I just don't get it. Konami and Street Fighter get echo fighters, why not Sonic?

We can only speculate but I don't think the devs were ever looking for that sort of parity between third party franchises; the process of character selection has always been more intuitive than that. Castlevania and Street Fighter getting echo fighters has a lot more to do with who the characters themselves are rather than what they're from. 

Richter, for instance, probably got in because he's the original practitioner of many of Simon's moves. Simon is obviously the more well-known Belmont, but he doesn't use Grand Cross, his d-tilt, dash attack or even his recovery move in his own games. Like Sakurai said, it's hard to tell who's echoing who, so Richter was probably thrown in as a bonus to make things feel proper. Meanwhile Ken is essentially the original fighting game clone character and he's been around ever since the original Street Fighter. It's hard to mention Ryu without mentioning Ken as well-- they're two sides of the same coin. He makes a lot of sense as an echo pick simply because of how established he is, both as a gaming icon and how he might play when compared to Ryu. 

When looking at it like that, Shadow isn't nearly as obvious a choice. He'd be neat for Sonic fans but Sakurai will probably always be a lot more selective about third parties than first parties. I'm honestly just curious why they took so long to reveal his AT. 

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

On the bright side nobody can tell me Skull Kid or Midna doesn't belong in these games anymore, lol.

Just as they can no longer tell me Waddle Dee doesn't belong because he's "just an enemy."

• Thumbs Up 2

Already worked out the colors for Piranha Plant:

image.png.3e33a9947e4e990168dda91a6ba2db6c.png

going from left to right:

• SMB
  • Wild Ptooie Piranha
  • Nipper Plant (All-Stars)
  • Pale Piranha
  • Nipper Plant (Yoshi's Island)
  • Blue Piranha Plant (MLSS
  • Frost Piranha (Super Paper Mario)

Likewise, I made a mockup of Ken's black costume:

image.png.91e53bed668c3de1eaf13d21b5c40fe2.png

from what I have read, it is actually one of his alts from Super Street Fighter II Turbo

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

I've been a sonic fan for 8 years, outside the sonic fandom Shadow's always been shafted as a lesser edgy Sonic since his debut and became a laughstock ever since iizuka wanted a game about him, since then sonic team puts less the effort in making Shadow a staple breakout star with his own unique focus gameplay from sonic in fear he might damage the series beyond repair. 

So have I but you seem to complain about Shadow in almost everything, whether it's smash or comics. There's no conspiracy against him. Chill out

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

"DK fans got a new character but you guys still have the same character that was in 10 years ago."

Eh, it doesn't really even it out. I will stop bitching now.

DK is a first party franchise, Sonic isn't. Sonic is lucky to be in at all.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

Theoretically whoever was behind the Grinch leak could take pictures of the stuff they made for it as proof, but there's not really much point to that since, well...they're probably never come off of anon to talk about it. Or at least nobody with any sense of self-preservation would, because holy shit are people (understandably) pissed.

It doesn't really matter if they never come off of anon, just providing proof of the source images is more than enough.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

One of the most notable things about the hoax was that they used a real actual person's name for a scapegoat. However since none of it was real and the person in question hadn't even worked at the company for like two years,  even if there's any laws about this (which I kinda doubt) it...probably wouldn't count?

I can't think of anything else that happened that'd potentially get the hoaxers in trouble but I might be forgetting something.

According to that 4chan post, there was no scapegoat, the doxxing only came because the guy in question failed to properly hide his name. Also, the company that the info came from wasn't the first company Marina, it was ACP (even that 4chan post says so). Whoever did this still went way above and beyond what was ever necessary, though, printing multiple wrist bands (which could get this guy in trouble), moving characters on the image that absolutely wasn't necessary, etc.

Just a really weird situation overall.

I'm not convinced that 4chan post is legit until they post the full mural though. (Not that I'm saying the Grinch leak is still real or anything, but that explanation doesn't quite satisfy me.)

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

DK is a first party franchise, Sonic isn't. Sonic is lucky to be in at all.

I know, I was replying to the context of his message.

"We got a new character but at least Sonic is still there!" I don't know, that doesn't make me feel better lol.

I have a feeling a lot of Sonic friends are a laughing stock nowadays. I mean people gave them the nickname "Sonic's shitty friends". Tails is a coward, Knuckles an idiot, Shadow an edge lord  and Big is a meme. This is kinda their image now. 

If you're gonna act like they're going with fake internet bullshit to determine who's in, then Sonic himself shouldn't be here because EVERY SONIC GAME SINCE THE 90S HAS BEEN TERRIBLE AND ALSO ALL THE ONES BEFORE THAT LOST WORLD MURDERED MY PARENTS THE ENTIRE SERIES IS GARBAGE

• Way Past Cool 2

I am sorry but Incineroar was a pretty dumb addition. but thats just me don't come hunting me down. I could not finish sun and moon from just how boring it was and the starters held barely an ounce of water to others.  a lot of great additions in this game like holy crap. but those last two characters felt crappy.

So let me ask the important question here.

How long until we get the Smash version of these legendary videos?

• Chuckle 2

4 hours ago, Solly said:

What is with Smash fans' obsession with cutting characters? Why does it always come to this sort of whining with some people?

And while I get thinking Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are redundant, how is Marth, the original Fire Emblem hero "unneeded baggage"? 

Oh brother. 

Because some characters are that redundant yes. I get playing to the nostalgia, but what is the genuine difference between Young Link and Toon Link when they also both have the same Final Smash now? This just feels like it was done for nostalgia, and I'm sorry. But it kind of rubs me the wrong way. 

Okay maybe I shouldn't have talked about game passion. It's probably more personally that the magic isn't working this time. 

I'm sorry. Smash 4's Events Mode was such hot garbage that I can't really look forward to this new Adventure Mode when it's mostly an Events Mode with cutscenes and story. 

The Great Cave Offensive and countless fighting a big boss and two annoying enemies at the same time in a time limit was aggravating, and if that's the baseline for the World of Light design then I'm out. This stopped being fun. I asked for a cohesive Adventure Mode that tells a story and while it's cool that the world map is combining these games into one Smash Universe, the game structure just doesn't seem to do anything for me and feels like Smash 4 but "here we gave you a Solo Story Mode and a handful of characters". 

And I know Brawl technically started the sticker stat helping, but it's rubbing me all kinds of wrong how focused on it is this time around. I don't think I'm being unreasonable. It's just that I think this is an unpopular opinion that I and very few others have right now. Fine if you don't agree, but Smash Ultimate doesn't feel all that... well, Ultimate

Like, I play a lot of Smash with my sister right? Events Mode kind of burned us out and Smash Tour wasn't fun to play at all. Yeah, base game was still as good as ever, but the consistency in quality between Brawl's content and Smash 4's content was so night and day that anything less than that has put me off. 

The gimmick of Everyone is Here fell flat on its face and all games involving Mario insisting that the staple mooks play a major part now makes it an easily telegraphed joke character even and it's kind of true. Anything would have been a better WTF character to play as than a standard Mario enemy. 

Like I'm somewhere between a hardcore and casual Smash fan. I play these games for what they'll bring out new but when they're trying to do the old things that people asked for and we don't get an Adventure Mode like Brawl's? Yeah, I'm going to be kind of salty when the nostalgia isn't done right. That and I'm hoping for new bosses instead of expecting to wow us with Brawl's Bosses. 

I've already accepted I'm in a weird minority here, but the meat of the actual game isn't doing it for me this time. This has turned into my least favourite Smash next to Smash 4 and I kind of just want Nintendo to focus on talking about their other games now because they spent so much time hyping us up and now it's stuff I don't even want. Now I'm just waiting for them to go back to focus on juggling advertising other games now instead of just Smash. It would be really easy to say it's only the fans who hyped this game up, but I think that's wildly disingenuous when half of the E3 Direct, and two Directs of the year were now focused entirely on this game. Nintendo set up an expectation and they failed to meet it. 

People were going to be wildly mass guessing about fighters. This is just the new normal for Smash. Because we know that the game is always on a solid foundation and there was the potential that Adventure Mode wasn't in this game. So yeah, the Fighter count feels a little lacking when Smash 4 was 2014. My sis and I played Smash 4 when that Black Friday Smash/Splatoon pack came out when I and my dad had bought that for Christmas in 2015. So, yeah, it's still very fresh in my mind. 

I know game dev is a hell of a process, but I think a set linear platformer story could have really worked for the game's favour. It's okay. This game's just not for me I guess. Here's to the DLC packs or a Youtube Let's Play selling me on this instead? Oh well. It's just a videogame, right? Eh.

300px-Galeem_SSBU.png

So it's been confirmed from the official site that this character's name is Galeem (aka Kiira in Japanese).

Galeem's name is a corruption of the word "gleam," and his name in Japanese is a corruption of the Japanese onomatopoeia (キラキラ, shine/twinkle). Both names are tied to the Adventure Mode motif of light.

Kiira is additionally similar to the Japanese transliteration of "killer" (キラー, Kiraa), using the same characters aside from the placement of the long-vowel mark.

Also, here's that theme song with lyrics

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

I have a feeling a lot of Sonic friends are a laughing stock nowadays. I mean people gave them the nickname "Sonic's shitty friends". Tails is a coward, Knuckles an idiot, Shadow an edge lord  and Big is a meme. This is kinda their image now. 

Tails somehow has more die hard fans than either Shadow and Knuckles in many fan media groups that stay subtle of how much they adore tails over anyone not name Sonic. Shadow hasn't had a huge die hard fandom since Shth, and, which is mostly girls nowdays. Meanwhile Tails is STILL getting more pictures and fanfics with him and other girls, more screen time than Shadow and Knuckles and .has alot of popularity over the other characters in being the second sonic character that stars with sonic every game.

36 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Because some characters are that redundant yes. I get playing to the nostalgia, but what is the genuine difference between Young Link and Toon Link when they also both have the same Final Smash now? This just feels like it was done for nostalgia, and I'm sorry. But it kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Young Link would be middle weight and speed, with fire arrows, rapid jab, and move properties close to Adult Link.

37 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

...countless fighting a big boss and two annoying enemies at the same time in a time limit...

This literally only happens 3 times. Buuuuut...co-op? There's a few more giants.

I'm just gonna go out and give my non-memey thoughts on this Direct. The content on its own? It's... fine. Ken? Cool. Incineroar, it seems fun, and I love how every move ends with some sort of mini-taunt. It adds a lot of personality.

Hell, even Piranha Plant? On paper, that sounds like a hilariously great idea for a fighter.

...But in context, this is really underwhelming, especially compared to the promises of the Grinch Leak.

This is not a good way to end off on. K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, Richter, these characters are far better choices to end the base roster with. But Sakurai dealt his cards too early, and that resulted in many hype trains falling into a sea of salt larger than the planet of Crait from Last Jedi, and the Piranha Plant was just sort of that salt on the wound.

It's like Nintendo themselves saw the future and what the leaks held, and made a concetrated effort to punish those who believed in them.

But hey, DLC is a thing. Rayman train's setting off for a new course.

Online? It's cool, I suppose. I never play Online anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me, but the improvements are nice, just in case. There aren't much to talk on... but has gambling in Spectate still confirmed? Loved doing that, adds stakes.

Spirits, Spirits, Spirits. Gonna miss you Trophies, since that's a big series staple and it feels weird to see them gone. But I like how it's an improved Sticker system, and you can do things like level them up, raise them, do tasks Neptunia Scout style, I like how they have more use. Just a shame nothing unique goes into their design and all. But hey, this is our Events Mode guys, and these set ups are at least pretty fun.

Also, yay, I can feed them to my amiibo. The amiibo Metagame is still on, good. Thought they stripped out the customization quality to what's arguebly my favorite thing to do in Smash 4.

The single player content, minus the story mode is okay... but underwhelming. I missed the variety of modes from Brawl and 4. As a purely local guy, I loved things like Classic, All-Star, Smash Run, Smash Tour, Home Run, Special Orders, Target Blast, etc. Seeing all this content stripped out is sad, especially seeing how All-Star has turned into glorified Multi-Man Smash, that actually hurt.

But hey, World of Light seems fun... but yeah, hope there's more story to this than what we're shown. But knowing Sakurai's fear of cutscenes after Brawl, I unfortunately doubt it and he showed the only one to us first before anyone can spoil it.

This is the biggest problem of calling a game like this "Ultimate". With that suffix, a lot of weight is on your shoulders. You have all fighters, most stages, amazing new tweaks to the gameplay... but things like neutered or excluded modes, and certain characters you are aware are in high demand takes away from this lofty moniker.

It's still an amazing package, but I'm unsure if this is really something I can really consider truely deserving of "Ultimate". It's a hair too short in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Absolutely 1

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Classic at the very least is still there, @Failinhearts.  It was confirmed in August I think!

I'm aware of Classic's existence. I was just listing the modes I loved playing in the past.

Not changing the fact that also, I think going back to the old style of Classic is a dissappointment since I did like what Wii U did, although I'm aware this is an unpopular opinion.

28 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Tails somehow has more die hard fans than either Shadow and Knuckles in many fan media groups that stay subtle of how much they adore tails over anyone not name Sonic. Shadow hasn't had a huge die hard fandom since Shth, and, which is mostly girls nowdays. Meanwhile Tails is STILL getting more pictures and fanfics with him and other girls, more screen time than Shadow and Knuckles and .has alot of popularity over the other characters in being the second sonic character that stars with sonic every game.

If all you're gonna do is just lament "Oh woe is me" about Shadow in this thread, can you please take it to another topic.

Anyway, Direct was pretty boring outside the opening and endings. They spent way too much time on Spirit mode that I almost fell asleep. I can't say I'm on board with a Season Pass when I have no idea what the content is. There's having faith and then there's blind faith. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

I don't know about Shadow, but you know who else could be an echo fighter now?

latest?cb=20160411194537

Sakurai just said that the DLC characters will not be Echo Fighters.  So Zavok is off the table.

as well as anyone else who wanted in with the Echo Fighters.