Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I would like to respond to this part separately, I don't particularly are for anyone introduced in this game, and played all the ones I cared about in previous. So everyone being here does nothing for me. But I can be catered to, Infact the top 3 people I wanted in the game are assists. And they aren't outlandish choices, they are extremly popular well known characters who if they were revealed... wouldn't be much of a surprise. Zero, Alucard and shadow. I'm not saying everyone is me, someone is probably really upset that like nathan  drake didn't get in or something. But I feel like there are quite a few people like me, who had...fairly like not crazy expectations... and we just left assed out and disappointed

Another Capcom and Konami Rep, on top of the already 3 Capcom and Konami reps we have? In base roster? That doesn’t sound that reasonable 

22 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Another Capcom and Konami Rep, on top of the already 3 Capcom and Konami reps we have? In base roster? That doesn’t sound that reasonable 

This is before I knew the roster?

I was going to list characters I wish they got into Smash, but I realized it's shorter to say "Dixie" and then point at Assists Trophies and a large hammer. Shadow, Waluigi, Krystal, etc

So, instead I have a different question: who would you pick for Smash over Piranha Plant assuming that last person must be
A completely unexpected (so no Isaac or Majora)
B very well known (no Captain Rainbow or Mr Saturn)
C First Party (no Ace Attorney or Bubsy)
D Waaaaaaaaaacky (in loose sense)

My ideas

1 Metroid: you can't get more iconic that being name of friccking franchise
2 Mother Brain: All those years I assumed "would be cool, but obviously impossible". Well, now I have second toughs!
3 Mario in car: Numbers don't lie, Mario Karts sub-franchise made more money than Zelda or Metroid.
4 MII playing Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, etc : A bit late, I realize
5 Bowsette: At least that would make me laugh

I think I can answer that easily. Captain Toad. 

Someone that doesn't jump in their own game but does because if the Piranha Plant can anything can? Someone with a great sense of adventure and ready to play and have a good time with friends. Plus, the Final Smash would just be weird, quirky, and funny regardless of what it was whereas the Piranha Plant went the easy route for Brawl nostalgia. 

Also I do have a thing with Fire Emblem characters being mostly sword wielders and that Lucina could have been an easy Marth replacement, @Solly but I mean. It is what it is, I guess. Is this selfish? I guess? Look. Some things have to give when you're making games and that means some characters get cut in new installments. I've seen it happen in many a fighting game so I don't know why you're acting like this is some weird obsession. But for what it's worth, I kind of stopped caring to have this conversation, and I'll leave this Smash be. It's not for me, and I'll just leave this be. 

That sound fair? 

Well if it has to be first party, I'd say take a leaf from Wii Fit Trainer's book and make it a franchise that hasn't been repped at all yet. Off the top of my head there's Mach Rider and Excitebiker, but I don't think they lend themselves to an original moveset quite as well as Captain Falcon did, so I'm gonna have to look back a bit further real quick.

Lip from Panel De Pon? One of the fighters from Teleroboxer? I'd consider Takamaru and the Simcity mayor too if they weren't ATs.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I was going to list characters I wish they got into Smash, but I realized it's shorter to say "Dixie" and then point at Assists Trophies and a large hammer. Shadow, Waluigi, Krystal, etc

So, instead I have a different question: who would you pick for Smash over Piranha Plant assuming that last person must be
A completely unexpected (so no Isaac or Majora)
B very well known (no Captain Rainbow or Mr Saturn)
C First Party (no Ace Attorney or Bubsy)
D Waaaaaaaaaacky (in loose sense)

I'm going to pretend that option C is not there and post my most wanted (no matter how unlikely):

ib88Rjb.jpg

- Amaterasu is self-explanatory, but it would be nice to get a purely quadrupedal character (since Ivysaur and Duck Hunt Dog share their spots) and she has plenty of moves to draw from

- Eggman might be better suited to a boss, yet I'd still love to see him in a suit based off his Palmtree Panic mech (as it features a paint job resembling his body, is relatively small and includes the series' iconic bumpers)

- Carbuncle and Puyo are probably the most plausible of this wishlist, with Puyo Puyo being one of SEGA's most successful franchises (and the Switch version of its Tetris crossover selling near 1 million). The team could even look at Olimar and his helpers for inspiration. Some would rather see Arle or maybe Amitie, of course, and I wouldn't complain. I just prefer the weird little rabbit thing

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Tornado said:

I can think of plenty of reasons why, and none of them require an elaborate conspiracy of not wanting Sonic in the game but feeing obligated to include him. Some of the reasons I can think of aren't even the result of Sega.

That's not what I meant, but yeah, you're right.

It was foolish of me to expect a 3rd party character in a Nintendo Fighting game. Here's hoping for a Sonic Fighting game one day.

Dq7836nWwAIeNC7?format=jpg&name=large

I just really, really want Arle. I do think Puyo’s a plausible choice for Smash, and she’s got plenty of moveset potential - they could even try factoring in stuff like offsets and garbage Puyo as some kind of buff system or something. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Who is gonna be DLC in my opinion:

Bandana Dee

Banjo-Kazooie

Geno

Dixie Kong

Rayman/Brand new third party character

Just some ideas.

Plus, I've been out of the loop, did we find out what exactly is Adventure Mode "World of Light"? I mean, how it plays, etc. if you could explain it to me, thank you!

Ugh, my brain's turned off rn...can't think of any good ideas. I can only think of Gooey as echo. He's literally 2nd Player for Kirby3. also Mad Piano as stage hazard pls

As for third parties.....Idk, maybe Nintendo and Level5 can temporarily settle their difference and add Jibanyan. Or whatever's tha mascot in Yokai Watch rn.

22 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Dq7836nWwAIeNC7?format=jpg&name=large

I just really, really want Arle. I do think Puyo’s a plausible choice for Smash, and she’s got plenty of moveset potential - they could even try factoring in stuff like offsets and garbage Puyo as some kind of buff system or something. 

It'd be pretty wacky if they brought back pre-Puyo Arle where all her combo? are based on. In movesets anyway.

I have to say, it is kinda hard to come up with good ideas for potential DLC characters. Most of the candidates are sadly now confirmed to be either assist trophies/Pokéball-Pokémon (Shadow, Isaac, Ashley, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Spring Man, Shovel-Knight, Bomberman, Eevee etc.), a background character (Cranky Kong) or a spirit in the spirit mode (Dixie Kong, Tails etc.).

The 5 upcoming DLC characters have to be some big names, so big, that people are willing to pay money for them. They have to be some really big name characters in the industry. I can not imaging having another normal enemy like the Piranha Plant as a playable character. I mean, I hardly think that a character like a Goomba, or an Octorok will make people go insane for the DLC. No, those 5 have to be some heavy hitter like Simon Belmont, K. Rool and Ridley. And I have to say... it kind is really hard to come up with any good Nintendo characters that are worthy the money. I mean, they are no scratching the bottom of the barrel with stuff like a Piranha Plant. 

The only characters, that I can think of, are mostly some big named third party characters.

1. Geno is very likely in my eyes. I personally do not care much for him, but I know, that people are obsessed with this character for some reason. 

2. I also think that Sora from Kingdom Hearts has good chances now. KH is a huge series and tones of fans adore this series so much. I think he has very good chances in becoming a playable character.

3. Another character that I think has good chances is a character from Monster Hunter. MH is like KH a huge big deal now. People love this series and it is very popular in Japan and also here in the west. Plus we already have a lot of MH content in SSBU already.

4. I also think a new Fire Emblem character is possible. Probably one from the new upcoming FE game for Switch.

5.  The last character I can think of that might have a chance becoming a playable character, is Slime from Dragon's Quest. This series is huge in Japan (and also a bit here in the west). 

I'm not really sure, when it comes to western third party characters. Sure, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie are all very popular, but mostly here in the west. I'm not sure, how the Japanese people would react, if one of those guys will be playable. Crash Bandicoot has in my eyes the best chances out of them all, since I have heard that this series ahs a bit of a fanbase in Japan.

The final build is in Spain now, and people are going right into it.

Particularly, Pichu seems to built like a berserker glass cannon. Tilts are so quick to end and aerials autocancel and end super quick, so he's in and he's out.

And Luigi's grab is indeed a tether grab. He uses the Poltergust and shoots a plunger to grab, like he did in the Simon cinematic.

And Robin straight up got a new move added into his kit. He can use the Levin Sword with his Nair now.

@LongcrierCat Lucina's so similar to Marth that it doesn't make sense to not have both of them as a two-for-one deal. If this sort of thing bothers you then you can just stack them on the CSS. And yeah, obviously development resources are finite and there are a limited number of characters they could make each game, but I don't think fans should sweat that. The circumstances of every fighter's inclusion is unique and it's presumptuous to say "if only they cut A B and C, we could've gotten X Y and Z instead." Let's not get stuck in the bargaining phase.

We'll agree to disagree. 

You're right that the FE cast being mostly sword wielders sucks though. 

1 minute ago, Rowl said:

5.  The last character I can think of that might have a chance becoming a playable character, is Slime from Dragon's Quest. This series is huge in Japan (and also a bit here in the west). 

Before today I wouldn't have considered Slime getting in over one of the main protagonists, but we DID just get a potted plant as a fighter.

1 minute ago, -Robin- said:

The final build is in Spain now, and people are going right into it.

Particularly, Pichu seems to built like a berserker glass cannon. Tilts are so quick to end and aerials autocancel and end super quick, so he's in and he's out.

And Luigi's grab is indeed a tether grab. He uses the Poltergust and shoots a plunger to grab, like he did in the Simon cinematic.

And Robin straight up got a new move added into his kit. He can use the Levin Sword with his Nair now.

Oh shoot, source? How does the Levin Sword even work as a neutral air? Isn't it normally done with Smash attack motions?

Nair would always call out the Bronze Sword even if Robin was holding the Levin Sword in Smash 4. They simply just removed that trigger, and gave Nair a power boost with the Levin Sword factored in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

Says who? The whole idea of "balancing" which company gets how many fighters is one of the fanmade ones.

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

lmao Chrom still helps out with Robin's Final Smash

What a swell guy.

So....he can help him/her defeat himself then. That is quite polite.

Though I wonder why they bothered holding off on showing it.

So far, Yoshi's seems to be the only different final smash from ones held back so far.

• Chuckle 1

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Dapper Ridley said:

Says who? The whole idea of "balancing" which company gets how many fighters is one of the fanmade ones.

So....he can help him/her defeat himself then. That is quite polite.

Though I wonder why they bothered holding off on showing it.

So far, Yoshi's seems to be the only different final smash from ones held back so far.

Well Diddy's is different of course. Even if its basically just Super Sonic's new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Well Diddy's is different of course. Even if its basically just Super Sonic's new one.

Oh, right, what is his?

I think my favorite of the revealed ones so far is Yoshi's (strictly talking about recent final smash reveals).

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Sheiks final smash has changed too. It should be on YouTube somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

lmao Chrom still helps out with Robin's Final Smash

What a swell guy.

Does Alfonzo take his place if Robin is fighting Chrom

Also, I think it's cute that Pichu got a new set of hats, like the Team Aqua bandana, since some of his were transferred to Pikachu later on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

10 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Also, I think it's cute that Pichu got a new set of hats, like the Team Aqua bandana, since some of his were transferred to Pikachu later on.

Team Aqua Pichu is probably one of the most adorable things I've seen in this game so far. I'm curious to find out what else he's been given. (I know he's at least got the goggles from Melee again.)

Anyway, I think I've sorted out the roster I'm most interested in playing as, once I get the game:

428562608_Screenshot_20181102-1401092.thumb.png.4186357553062e52d4c11c8d39810b67.png

With so many characters, there's no way I could narrow it down to anything lower than this!

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Oh, right, what is his?

I think my favorite of the revealed ones so far is Yoshi's (strictly talking about recent final smash reveals).

Can be viewed here.

He looks to automatically target K. Rool in the video. I wonder how it'll work in matches with more than one opponent. 

It sounds like they've already decided who all the DLC characters will be, if they've decided to make five specifically.  I wonder what the ratio of first-party to third-party will be; I think there are any number of third-parties who seem reasonable.  Rayman, Sora, Phoenix Wright, even Tails...  In a way, it's almost harder to think of first-party characters, because one would imagine they'd have prioritised the bigger names for the base roster.  (Piranha Plant is a goofy bonus character and I'm not counting it in that regard - though it is incredibly well-known and recognisable.)  I suppose first-party DLC characters could be other latecomers who only made it to Assist or Mii Costume or Spirit status; Pauline, perhaps?  (I think Geno was confirmed as a spirit, so I'd imagine he's out of the running.)

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Just saying given what this series focuses first on, Nintendo, basically 4 characters for Konami and 4 for capcom, doesn’t sound realistic unless it was dlc we were talking vs base. You don’t think I know there’s not a fucking smash rule book? Personally, I feel like Nintendo probably wouldn’t wanna go that crazy with 3rd parties regarding the initial list of characters, unless they diversified into other companies.

anyway, as for DLC, yeah that’s a tricky one. Basically anyone at this point is a option, but for me personally I’ve got a couple choices.

1. Sora: he was on the ballot(even if not that high) is popular, has been demanded quite a lot this time around, Nomura and yoko have worked on the game so the idea possibly has been thrown around, and it’d be perfect with KH3 releasing soon after Smash. He just looks like a perfect Smash character, especially with the whole “world of light” thing now lol

2. Geno: kinda goes without saying, dudes a hype magnet, heavily expected, sakurai has wanted him in for forever, and he got a mii costume last time around so totally possible he could show up 

3. Bandana Dee: cmon, another Kirby character? Sakurai would be ecstatic to do that lol

4. Shantae: I doubt wayforward would make this much of a deal over a sticker, so I get the feeling she may be in some other way, and DLC would be a good option 

5. Karate Joe: idk I don’t play the rhythm games, but the idea of this sounds hella cool so I’m down for this one. Just a wild guess

other choices:

-Banjo

-Impa

-Tails

-Mach Rider 

-Monster Hunter

• Thumbs Up 2

I really do wonder who people that want Sakurai to be replaced as creative director for Smash have in mind. I really can think of only a few people who could possibly do the job and even if they did Smash may turn out very different. Sakurai's creative signature makes this thing what it is.

I've watched the spirits mode trailer again and I've kind of warmed up to it. The little "Event matches" each one gets looks cute. Might be a fun time waster. 

Otherwise this game seemed intent on streamlining or cutting things modes that weren't apart of that base Smash experience and fleshing out the core even more than Smash 4. It's hard for me to disagree with this approach with how much better the online mode is, the huge amount of stages, and just how much fun the base game looks in general. I like Melee and Brawl as much as anyone else, but I seriously cannot see many of those modes appealing to me in the same way now that I'm older and have no patience for repetition. I barely touched All Star Mode in Smash 4 due to how lengthy it was, so hearing it got morphed into a Multi Man Smash type thing was kind of a relief.

I think Smash Bros has kind of run into a problem where there's too many characters to build actual content around. Melee and Brawl could build stages and story sequences that accommodate all the characters, but with the roster more than doubled since then that suddenly turns an order that was tall back then to an impossible one. It's not hard to see why the series turned into this though. Roster discussion dominates most of the internet with everything else being pushed to the wayside. The team is simply responding to demand.

I think the game could easily be the best Smash Bros game from a pick up and play perspective and that's...kind of the point of Smash Bros, so they're doing it right as far as I'm concerned. Still I wonder what they'll do about this massive roster in future games. Cuts are inevitable. It might even be a drastic amount. 

• Thumbs Up 1