Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

As long as Sakurai is on a warpath to flatten every good Smash Brother and Sister butt this time around, would there really any point

There's more to my sister Twintelle than just that man. 

Besides,  if ZSS's swimsuit alt is anything to go by..... it may not entirely disappear. 

14 minutes ago, JezMM said:

As long as Sakurai is on a warpath to flatten every good Smash Brother and Sister butt this time around, would there really any point

Thankfully, Peach and Wario have seniority in that regard. (And now Daisy, by proxy) 

Butt yeah, Twintelle is best Arms fighter either way.

New Meta Knight Final Smash: (At the end of the match, we don't get to see the full thing)

Also, Nairo's chat will be watching the Nintendo Live tournament tonight!  He's streaming Smash 4 right now!  If you want to see Smash Ultimate action as it happens you can always drop in

(Also, the ghost is in this forum.  Someone tell him Halloween ended)

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

I think the game could easily be the best Smash Bros game from a pick up and play perspective and that's...kind of the point of Smash Bros, so they're doing it right as far as I'm concerned. Still I wonder what they'll do about this massive roster in future games. Cuts are inevitable. It might even be a drastic amount. 

Oh dude, I think about this all the time. It's going to be interesting seeing how this is handled going forward because I do feel like there's only so much the later installments can take. Things will have to chill out eventually, in some way. A good place to start is probably all the Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters but even then I could see some people being up in arms about a few of those guys. I hope Sakurai declares this his magnum opus and hands it over to someone else because that dude deserves a break and I don't want him to have to face the wrath of Smash fans anymore.

Also, here's my roster thing. Ain't much to it.

Smash Ultimate Roster.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly considering "everyone is here" in Ultimate I'd say the next game would be the right time for a reboot of some sort. Obviously nobody's going to be happy with characters getting cut, but Ultimate having practically everything in it can at least soften the blow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Would a reboot use the original 8 still, or not be restricted to requiring them anymore you think? What kind of traditional things do you think they could do without?(basically a Botw styled reinvention of the series)

13 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Would a reboot use the original 8 still, or not be restricted to requiring them anymore you think? What kind of traditional things do you think they could do without?(basically a Botw styled reinvention of the series)

Maybe it could have a main theme that's more like something by Vince DiCola or Chris Huelsbeck instead of Orchestral.

i.e.,

Spoiler

The original 8 are going to stay. I don't think that's something they're going to change and, to be honest, I don't really see why they'd want or need to.

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Honestly it's hard to even imagine how to go about stripping down and rebuilding Smash. Of the original 8 the only one I could imagine getting cut is Fox, since his series seems kinda mostly dead and I'm not sure he ever had the same level of recognition or impact as the other 7, but even then he'd probably still be in due to being an "original 8" member unless they were cutting down to like...a dozen characters or something extreme like that. Aside from characters it'd be less about cutting and more about having the freedom to change things. Like, they could more easily mess around with some of the base mechanics when those changes don't then have to propagate through 50-70+ characters. And making it into a reboot of sorts would allow them to more easily justify radically changing a character's moves and playstyle. Maybe having fewer characters would allow them to have a more in-depth story mode, if that's something they were interested in.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe having fewer characters would allow them to have a more in-depth story mode,

Pffft. Not gonna happen. They hate story modes because of youtube and all that crud. 

Let's be quite honest. The amount of characters is not what led to story getting snubbed yet again. 

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Pffft. Not gonna happen. They hate story modes because of youtube and all that crud. 

Let's be quite honest. The amount of characters is not what led to story getting snubbed yet again. 

I'm not saying it's the reason, but it sure as hell ain't helping. And I'm talking about a pretty radical shift in how Smash is handled anyway, so maybe Sakurai retires from the series and someone who is more amenable to storytelling in Smash takes over, who knows.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

I'm not saying it's the reason

I know. I just told you the reason,  and that's not liable to change unless the series gets a different director,  as it's become apparent since yesterday with the "more fun than story " sentiment. Bah.

If you have all the other 7 I wouldn't bother cutting fox at that point.

To be honest though the picks for the first 5 games were so good it's hard to not see the series just retracing it's own steps. This would be interesting for some characters who'd be rebuilt from the ground up to something that might suit them more, but there are some characters who I honestly can't imagine changing much mechanically, if at all. 

The focus would have to be on some kind of deep, meaningful single player component to even justify a risky venture like this. 

I’m curious, would they ever reboot smash into a more traditional styled fighter maybe? Or something 3D-esque like disiddia? 

A actual voiced story now I’d fully be down for

I know. I just told you the reason,  and that's not liable to change unless the series gets a different director,  as it's become apparent since yesterday with the "more fun than story " sentiment. Bah.

Who do you have in mind that can solve all of the logistical problems and address the legitimate grievances Sakurai has of building a story mode around Smash?

I can't even see them touching the original 12, much less the original 8. 

Whatever the next game is, I doubt it'll have too small a roster but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as big as it is now either. Keeping what they consider to be the essentials and adding in replacements for those no longer "worthy" sounds like a task I wouldn't want to give my worst enemy.

Just now, Wraith said:

Who do you have in mind that can solve all of the logistical problems and address the legitimate grievances Sakurai has of building a story mode around Smash?

A director who's not scared at the mere thought of cutscenes being leaked on youtube as a reason to snub story mode obviously. 

Something like the director of a Project x Zone game or something to a similar scale. 

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

A director who's not scared at the mere thought of cutscenes being leaked on youtube as a reason to snub story mode obviously. 

Something like the director of a Project x Zone game or something to a similar scale. 

You want Soichiro Morizumi, a strategy games expert, to direct a fighting game? And your reasoning is because of sequences of character interaction that were probably not written by just him?

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You want Soichiro Morizumi, a strategy games expert, to direct a fighting game?

Come on Wraith,  don't stoop to trying to take my answers out of context. 

I'm talking about the simple mentality that most directors of crossovers have. 

Hell,  Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 had a story mode in the works,  but that only got scrapped because of the unfortunate tsunami disaster and whatnot. A reasonable enough reason. And that had a huge roster as well. 

And even without that story,  the active character interactions are amazing. 

So if you're looking for a specific fighting director,  sure whoever directed UMVC3.

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

And your reasoning is because of sequences of character interaction that were probably not written by him?

I'm sorry. You've lost me with this train of thought. It sounds like you're trying to strawman me here. 

Look,  it's simple. There were plenty of ways they could've had a story mode. They simply chose not to. For reasons that we've known for quite a while. 

What exactly is the confusion here?

Look,  it's simple. There were plenty of ways they could've had a story mode. They simply chose not to. For reasons that we've none for quite a while. 

What exactly is the confusion here?

The confusion is that you've decided to sidestep all the logistical reasons for why there's no story mode to continue harping on an offhand quote Sakurai made about cutscenes in 2013.
You're now talking about the "general mentality when developing crossovers" and citing UMVC, a game with half of the characters the new Smash Bros has that still have cut story mode content. There are pretty obvious problems, logistically, with making a meaningful single player story mode work in these types of games. Fighting games with way less characters than Smash have struggled with it for ages. Part of that have to do with the roster size. Juggling a story with over 70 characters is hard enough, but you're not even considering the actual game design side of this whole thing. This is just about getting some flashy cutscenes with cute interactions out of the devs. That's something I couldn't care less about in the grand scheme when I talk about single player. 

Oh, another thing I feel could be worked on regarding a reboot: items and final smashes, cause man are they going crazy with both 

Y'know I don't need a ton of pre-rendered cutscenes for World of Light but I'm hoping for some sort of character interactions via, like, character heads talking or something... The way Sakurai said to "leave the rest to your imagination" after talking about the fateful day kinda makes me think that's the only cutscene in the mode. Eh.

• Thumbs Up 6

They aren't really going crazy with Smashes...in 1 v. 1 they should be at least one guaranteed kill if you land it. But certain characters who still get quafted.

The way Sakurai said to "leave the rest to your imagination" after talking about the fateful day kinda makes me think that's the only cutscene in the mode. Eh.

He only said that in regards to everything else that happens...doesn't imply  anything really.

• Thumbs Up 1