Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The confusion is that you've decided to sidestep all the logistical reasons for why there's no story mode to continue harping on an offhand quote Sakurai made about cutscenes in 2013.

Until you have solid proof suggesting otherwise, this debate between us is conjecture at best. It's not too much to ask for text boxes. It's not too much to ask for character interactions. Never asked for cutscenes or whatnot. Handling the weight of so many characters is nothing new and not impossible.

What you're arguing is theoretical at best versus actual stuff said. So when you have solid proof  of your claim, feel free to present. Otherwise, you're coming off as not allowing anyone to be upset with the story snub philosophy. In which, it's best to just let this one go.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

This is just about getting some flashy cutscenes with cute interactions out of the devs.

Oh good heavens, that explains stuff. You're assuming  I wanted cutscenes. Ah well, allow me to correct that notion and inform that no, that's not what it's about strictly.

There are plenty of other, less costly ways to still have a story mode.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

UMVC, a game with half of the characters the new Smash Bros has that still have cut story mode content. 

Last I checked, 50 was not half of 74.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I literally posted that already on the last page lol

Image result for stop stealing my videos

(Just kidding BTW)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Dude. That’s fucking awesome. This mode grew on me pretty fucking fast 

Well now, that is pretty awesome. Regardless of the story snub, this mode is looking rather fun nonetheless. Not more fun than a story. Honestly fun and story aren't mutually exclusive, but I digress.

Stuff like this and using the Lapras to travel across the water are all great touches that I hope we see more of in this odd mode.

The original 8

Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Ganondorf, Mewtwo

Marth, Ike, Robin

Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Palutena, Olimar

Wolf, King K. Rool, Lucario, Villager, Little Mac, Shulk, Ridley

Potentially Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man

That's a good 32 characters to work with for a "rebooted" Smash Bros. that covers most of the bases. Not impossible to get some story-centric content out of that, though it does come with the cost of losing some key players and some of the quirky blokes that have contributed to Smash's charm over the years. And then you have to add newcomers on top of that.

What's with all this talk about a Smash reboot? Don't think the series really needs it, unless Sakurai retires and he didn't groom a successor.

as far as the revealed skins thus far for newcomers and certain returning fighters, I've made my compilation of sorts:

image.png.1c552ee6f8adccbdbf361d0a3c94f14e.png

We've already seen the one for Audrey III, but I decided to throw in the ones for Incineroar, Pichu, and K. Rool as well.

For K. Rool, his first four skins are from DK King of Swing's Jungle Jam mode (the multiplayer mode).  The Pink skin is based on Klump or Kannon from the first two DKC titles.  The Brown skin is based on the Rock Kroc enemies from the original game.  The Yellow skin is based on the Kutlass enemies from DKC2.  And the White one is based on Kudgel.

Incineroar's skins include both a Shiny variant and an inverted color scheme, with the inverted one fitting with the heel persona he presents in combat.  He also has a black skin which I think could be a reference to Marshadow, the "Big the Cat on steroids" skin, an orange skin based on an actual Bengal tiger, a Lucario skin, and a skin based on Tornadus.

As for Pichu, the Red and Blue skins return from Melee (Ribbon and swimmer goggles). It also has a skin wearing a lilly on its ear.  Then we have the confirmed female skin, Notch-eared Pichu as well as the bandanas of Team Aqua and Team Skull.  Nevermind the backpack outfit; it was an oversight on my part when compiling this in MSPaint

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Big the Cat Incineroar has basically justified his spot on the roster for me.

My theory regarding this skin is that it might have been made for World of Light where Incineroar is posessed by Big, while Big is already posessed by Duke Nukem teaming up with the green Greninja posessed by Froggy who is already posessed by Chaos.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

They aren't really going crazy with Smashes...in 1 v. 1 they should be at least one guaranteed kill if you land it. But certain characters who still get quafted.

He only said that in regards to everything else that happens...doesn't imply  anything really.

Well I mean that plus "focusing more on fun than story" doesn't make me very optimistic. But I dunno. Seems like an awesome mode regardless!

I don't know why people constantly ask for a Smash Bros. reboot. I don't see this with Street Fighter or Tekken.

• Thumbs Up 3

People don't ask for that. It's something Sakurai implied he "might" have to do since he can't exactly keep upping the scale of the game, especially in regards to characters...3rd party characters specifically.

That was a long time ago.

It might not even be true.

What is true is that no one has ever asked for a reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know, Sakurai's claim that they abandoned the idea of a story mode because people just leaked the cutscenes on YouTube always struck me as an obvious lie, and that they actually simply weren't interested in producing an integrated story mode on top of everything else they wanted to include.  After all, they then went on to make the cutscenes anyway and put them on YouTube themselves, only under the guise of being character introduction trailers.  World Of Light is more of a framework, or if you prefer an excuse, than a true story; at this point there are too many characters for it to be remotely practical, unless perhaps they were to make it literally its own independent game.

• Thumbs Up 1

“Putting the character trailers on YouTube anyway” was part of the logic behind no cutscenes - because instead of players posting them and potentially spoiling it for other players, Sakurai could control when and what the players saw, such as the animated features. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

I would actually welcome a "Smash reboot" or maybe... just maybe, simply a "smaller, more focused Smash" with less characters (no clones) + story + new content (new characters and stages) + more third party franchises. That would be the best for me, which is actually what the fangame is doing.

Now, can we talk more about that Adventure Mode? I'm really curious about it, that... IF there is more to see about it that hasn't been announced to keep the surprise, like, actual platforming stages or more bosses.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

People don't ask for that. It's something Sakurai implied he "might" have to do since he can't exactly keep upping the scale of the game, especially in regards to characters...3rd party characters specifically.

That was a long time ago.

It might not even be true.

What is true is that no one has ever asked for a reboot.

I've seen plenty of people say they want it.

It's quite apparent to me now that Spirits Mode is not a glorified Event Mode...but just Master Orders but with more variety and just better.

It looks interesting enough, it's honestly not nearly as complicated as people thought it was...the over explained info dump in the direct really doesn't do a mode like that justice.

And since Classic Mode is character specific, that actually means a lot more since a character like Ryu gets most likely all stamina mode matches.

GameXplain have compiled all of the cut and returning Assist Trophies:

I think all of my favourites made it in. I'd also forgotten how great some of the new ones revealed at E3 are, like Klaptrap and Kapp'n.

Sakurai played a fair amount of the single player stuff on a stream yesterday - PushDustIn is going through and translating.

There’s more on his page. One part he hasnt got to just yet is that they actually dipped into Classic Mode. There’s another giant mural for the difficulty select, and Ryu’s Classic Mode is made up of 1v1 stamina matches with music replacements (such as vs ZSS on Onett, with Chun-Li’s Theme playing)

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm actually more sold on Spirits as a mode and Classic Mode now, first reaction was kinda rough, but I'm warming up to them. 

I would still love if we knew more of Adventure mode... No one seems to talk about it.