Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

On 11/3/2018 at 8:44 PM, JezMM said:

The exact phrasing doesn't make it clear that he's saying the planning of the game or the DLC.  When I watched the direct, I assumed he was talking about the former.  He was fairly clear that the development on the main 5 DLC characters won't begin until after the main game goes gold, which is likely still a couple of weeks off.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:50 PM, Tracker_TD said:

It seems like he was referring to having the DLC planned out to me - I feel like they’d have to in order to deliver them all within the next year, given how long making characters can take. We can kind of see this with another game from Namco, Tekken 7 - Negan in Season 2 of the DLC was announced at least 6 months in advance of his release, let alone planned. I say at least because we don’t even have any footage or a release date for him yet! So I’d imagine whilst actually producing the characters may not have started, they at least know what they’ll be working on at this stage, to help facilitate that “by 2020” deadline.

Urgh,  this vagueness is frustrating!

I wonder..... what if the DLC hasn't completely been decided on? But some has of course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's hard to imagine them deciding on the exact number of DLC characters + stages, as well as when they'll begin work on them (which is really soon by the way) without also deciding who/what they are. I'd be willing to bet that all of the planned post-launch fighters are set in stone by now. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Something interesting not many have brought up is that possibly each pack may not include the same content throughout. What I mean by that is that while we may get a character from one franchise, the stage and music could be different. As in for example if Sora got in, the stage may not be from KH, and instead maybe say, Shibuya from TWEWY, while the music is also from a bunch of different square games. Idk, it’s a thought. Though they’ll probably just go for the simple all 3 pieces from the same franchise route 

Interesting. That might switch up my personal predictions a bit. (I was leaning towards Heihachi being likely because of his originally proposed involvement in Smash 4 coupled with the fact that he isn't an Assist Trophy like Akira, but since Ninty are the ones picking, I'm not so sure.)

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

As I suspected - the DLC lineup is already decided. It was selected by Nintendo this time. 

Now everyone leave Sakurai alone, poor guy

Ah! Thank goodness! Well, more so on the clarification. The vagueness was gonna drive some madness, something fierce if not tended to.

And yeah, that second tweet is nice disclaimer as well.

This does later the perspective, though it does raise some of my hopes, sans Shantae obviously now. The likes of Phoenix Wright, NiGHTS, a SE rep, Twintelle, and whomever look more inviting from this perspective.

46 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

As I suspected - the DLC lineup is already decided. It was selected by Nintendo this time. 

We should remember guys. This isn't entirely the case. It's stated that Nintendo gave him a list of contenders. And Sakurai selected 5 from that list. Still some influence on his part.

If Nintendo picked the characters then that means Geno is RIP.

But I think it raises the chances for characters like Rayman or Sora.

53 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

If Nintendo picked the characters then that means Geno is RIP.

But I think it raises the chances for characters like Rayman or Sora.

I do think its a RIP on Geno and also Elma (the game didn't sell well and isn't being ported to Switch). Its probably a boon for first-party characters in general.

However, Nintendo didn't exactly pick the characters. They had a list of choices which Sakurai narrowed down. So Sakurai still had the final say, its just the initial list wasn't his.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would explain Piranha Plant if Nintendo decided that too. Still, if reaction is of any indication, fans would be happy if DLC characters were Toad, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Lakitu and Toadette... Lmao, I know they wouldn't, joking aside, because Piranha Plant works as a WTF choice but an entire DLC selection of that would be suicide.

11 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's tragic that this is one of Sakurai's only English tweets. And we all know why it's in English. 

I have to wonder how much the DLC picks being "curated" by Nintendo is going to matter in the end. Answering that would probably require a lot more insight into the normal character creation process. It's interesting that Sakurai even shared this piece of information with us, thinking about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing i've found strange enough is that so far none of the newcomers have been Sakurai's personal fan favourites/pet projects (either Kirby or Kid Icarus), and he has always put at least one in each new game, so i'm suspecting one of those is reserved as DLC.

All I know is that I'll probably be salty about all of these picks.

I guess they can't be worse than Piranha Plant at least.

22 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

The thing i've found strange enough is that so far none of the newcomers have been Sakurai's personal fan favourites/pet projects (either Kirby or Kid Icarus), and he has always put at least one in each new game, so i'm suspecting one of those is reserved as DLC.

Except Melee.

Also:

1 Every game had either Star Fox or Animal Crossing

2 Fire Emblem or F-Zero

3 Mario or Chibi-Robo

4 DK and Metroid get newcomers in the same games. So far Earthbound was as well, so one of DLC is Mr Saturn

See, I can make-up patterns as well. Saturn joke would be funnier before Piranha Plant announcement.

Considering the majority of new characters have been fan favourites, Sakurai's tweet could suggest that the rules of entry will be different for DLC. It's possible he and Nintendo don't entirely agree on who is popular, but I'm not so sure. The company might want to capitalise on relationships with third parties or simply hype up new titles like Three Houses over celebrating old ones.

Banjo would ordinarily seem like an obvious choice for a crowd-pleaser, but I don't know if that's the objective here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear, if we get one of the protagonist of Three Houses just like Corrin was added on the wave of Fates, i'm gonna go to Japan and strangle someone at Nintendo.

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 1

8 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

They had a list of choices which Sakurai narrowed down. So Sakurai still had the final say, its just the initial list wasn't his.

He said he decides if he can make a fighter depending on their selection, and seeing that he made a fighter out of fucking Piranha Plant, this shouldn't be a problem

55 minutes ago, Solly said:

It's tragic that this is one of Sakurai's only English tweets. And we all know why it's in English. 

I know the fans can be really annoying and insensitive sometimes, but when Sakurai makes the top picks of newcomers from Smash (Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid. And even my top picks like Knuckles, Zero, Waluigi, and Shovel Knight) Assist Trophies, and instead uses his precious time and resources to work on Piranha Plant, then he has to expect some backlash.

I love Sakurai, man. But sometimes he makes absolutely idiotic decisions.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

YUZO KOSHIRO BAYBEEEEEE. It's Guile's Theme!

Oh man pleeeeease let there be more Yuzo Koshiro tracks in the game she's just way too good.

...The aside, I assume Guile's Theme will be the one song in the game that is available on the My Music list for every single stage, for obvious reasons.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3

Piranha Plant seems pretty tailor-made for its status as an early-purchase bonus, as a peripheral Mario character with a particularly wacky non-standard moveset; I think judging it on the same level as either the base roster or the other DLC characters is not quite fair when it was probably budgeted for in a category of its own.  My inclination would be to say that Sakurai probably wanted to specifically avoid having the early-purchase bonus character be someone highly-requested, as opposed to something recognisably optional.

• Thumbs Up 5