Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Wow. Consider me hyped! I was expecting to see some cut characters, but nope, they just straight-up confirmed 60+ characters right from the start. I'm glad Sonic's back in obviously, but I wasn't expecting to see Knuckles as (what appears to be) an assist trophy. That's just AWESOME!

I'm really looking forward to hearing more of the music. The official page has been updated with this wonderful gem:

16 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

KNUCKLES IS AN ASSIST

So I still hope for Eggman as Sonic’s second character, plus Shadow and Metal as Echo Fighters. 

9 minutes ago, Marcello said:

It's not a souped-up port. I'm not sure how people are getting that from what we saw.

Because that's literally what it is, maybe? It's Smash 4 on steroids. Even though the game has been heavily re-worked to the point of bringing in new mechanic, it clearly isn't 100% new. Referring to it as a souped-up port might undersell it somewhat, but that's what it is. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

So I still hope for Eggman as Sonic’s second character, plus Shadow and Metal as Echo Fighters. 

When was it said sonic would get a second character? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

That is to say, if it does. Not that it will.

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

That is to say, if it does. Not that it will.

It's less like a port and more like a new game that just reuses a lot of stuff from the previous one. I think when people hear enhanced port they think MK8 Deluxe or any "special edition" of an already released game. This is like Splatoon 2 or Xenoverse (or hell, most EA sequels), except with the amount of added content cranked up a BIG degree. The fact that this happens enough with game sequels means that calling this specifically an enhanced port when full-on sequels have come out with more reused stuff and less new content seems wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm both happy and sad that Knuckles is an Assist Trophy. On one hand I'm glad he's in the game and not in the background of Green Hill, but on the other hand that means he won't be playable or even DLC. Oh well.

Shadow is most likely gonna be an Echo Fighter so we got that.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

While impressive size-wise, lack of new content makes you wonder. When  Smash 4 came out I suspected that it will be impossible to top that. "Bring everyone" sound like last option maneuver that you do when you really don't have any what to do next.

I mean, I'm sure game will be a blast, but how Smash 6 will look? Smash Ultimater? Reboot and bringing first stage for nostalgia sake? Son of Smash Bros?

A reboot is more or less what I'm expecting for whenever another Smash game follows up on this.  A purely iterative sequel simply can't hope to match up, but a rework from the ground up that can't fairly be compared to Smash Ultimate will give them the leeway they need to go forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

It's less like a port and more like a new game that just reuses a lot of stuff from the previous one. I think when people hear enhanced port they think MK8 Deluxe or any "special edition" of an already released game. This is like Splatoon 2 or Xenoverse (or hell, most EA sequels), except with the amount of added content cranked up a BIG degree. The fact that this happens enough with game sequels means that calling this specifically an enhanced port when full-on sequels have come out with more reused stuff and less new content seems wrong.

The words are honestly interchangeable if that’s the case. “New game borrowing most of its shit from the last game”, or “port of last game with lots of new features and additions.”  It’s easy to get why people are getting vibes of the latter. Especially given how Nintendo has handled ports as of late and brought over many of their Wii U games to switch. New smash games always visually define themselves to set them apart from the others also, and smash 5 isn’t doing that, so that probably ain’t helping

15 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Probably cause it visually looks like Sm4sh with new additions and slight tweaks to existing characters? It shouldn’t be hard to understand how people are getting that impression...like you really shouldn’t be confused as to why people are saying this. What we’ve seen doesn’t exactly scream brand new game 100%

It doesn't, though. The UI is completely different. The characters have new models and designs and a new style. The stages got graphical overhauls. There new mechanics and characters movesets have changed. Ganon for example now uses his sword in his Smash attacks. 

Obviously, it doesn't look completely different since it's a sequel and there's no big upgrade in tech or drastic change in art style, but there are changes and upgrades

This game does everything a new game does.

7 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Because that's literally what it is, maybe? It's Smash 4 on steroids. Even though the game has been heavily re-worked to the point of bringing in new mechanic, it clearly isn't 100% new. Referring to it as a souped-up port might undersell it somewhat, but that's what it is. 

How?

• Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

That's what a port is. From what I hear this is basically sf4 to s4 ultra edition

Still it sounds good

• Bad Quality Post 1

So glad to see this isn't just a port as some feared. Takes stuff from old games, but it's gonna be in a substantial amount of new stuff. They've already reworked enough shown in just the bare surface scratched for it to be its own game, and yet there's more! Holy cow!

Well, it's pretty much what I thought it'd be. Basically the Splatoon 2 of Sm4sh. Has enough new content to make it a sequel but there's no denying that they built it all right on top of Sm4sh's build. They just added some new models to characters and a better lighting engine.

Though, with that being said.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Damn, I am so in on this. I'd pre-order the game right now if it weren't for me moving soon. Every character that's ever been in Smash returning? Fuck yes. I know people are disappointed that we won't be getting that many new fighters this time around but for me... this roster has already surpassed what I thought was even possible. Literally just add some popular indie character (and one more rep for KI) and I literally couldn't ask for more.

The only thing I'm worried about are the modes. They didn't show anything in that regard so I'm a bit worried about what's actually going to be there. I'm still holding out hope for a SSE but better equivalent but it's all guessing at this point.

Anyways, Smash is Smash. Saved Nintendo's ass again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

9 minutes ago, Marcello said:

It doesn't, though. The UI is completely different. The characters have new models and designs and a new style. The stages got graphical overhauls. There new mechanics and characters movesets have changed. Ganon for example now uses his sword in his Smash attacks. 

Maybe it’s my eyes, but I don’t see much of a new stylistic difference, again , YOU may be able to see those details at first glance and come to that conclusion, but your initial “...how on earth are people getting port vibes” comes off as you putting your way of thinking as the basis expectation and standard for everyone. At its base, it uses Sm4sh as it’s foundation, it stylistically retains that feel, lighting wise looks the same, the general tone is still going for what Sm4sh went for, many of the characters look unchanged(like the dlc characters) etc. and Nintendo as of late have been on a enhanced port craze. Of course it’ll add things to differentiate it but I don’t blame people, and I’ve already seen tons, for getting “souped up port” vibes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok I think I will go with assist because the website doesn't list Knuckles as an echo. If there is one for Sonic I am sure it's shadow. I'll just be in the corner, dark corner, foolishly hoping for Tails despite being certain he won't even make an assist or echo, much less a full character. Don't mind me...just a crazy dreaming fool.

This is honestly all I could possibly ask for from a new(-ish) Smash title! I especially can't wait to try out Ridley (or more specifically, Meta Ridley)!

One last detail I want now is if Rayman is finally getting his due.  Ubisoft and Nintendo seem back to enjoying their friendship, so here's hoping they can pull him out of the bag... or they just use the freaking rabbids again.

Y'know, what's crazy is that not only do I not own a Switch I haven't ever played Smash of any sort, yet I'm still hyped for this.  The Ridley reveal somehow urges me even further to at least get my hands on Smash Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1