Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

To be honest, I always find the suggestion a bit strange that Shadow would make a good Echo Fighter for Sonic.  Shadow has a wealth of additional powers, and creating a moveset for him made entirely out of Sonic's moves and with none of his own seems to me to be doing him a disservice; it's so easy to imagine a radically different and much more individual Fighter for the character (ditto Metal Sonic, really).  The two characters look similar, but that's about where the similarities end, and I don't truly believe it'd be really such an honour for him to be effectively demoted to recolour status; it just validates criticism of the character as a shallow copy-paste.  And I'm not even a fan of Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, FFWF said:

The two characters look similar, but that's about where the similarities end.

Not to mention that Shadow would want to distance himself from his "faker" by doing this:

latest?cb=20070626003325

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

To be honest, I always find the suggestion a bit strange that Shadow would make a good Echo Fighter for Sonic.  Shadow has a wealth of additional powers, and creating a moveset for him made entirely out of Sonic's moves and with none of his own seems to me to be doing him a disservice; it's so easy to imagine a radically different and much more individual Fighter for the character (ditto Metal Sonic, really).  The two characters look similar, but that's about where the similarities end, and I don't truly believe it'd be really such an honour for him to be effectively demoted to recolour status; it just validates criticism of the character as a shallow copy-paste.  And I'm not even a fan of Shadow.

Shadow was meant to be a copy-paste of Sonic, though. Like, that's half of what SA2 was about; a mysterious evil hedgehog who (supposedly) looks just like Sonic and has all his moves shows up, frames him, and beats him at the skill that most defines him, forcing Sonic to work harder to catch up and prove himself to be more "Sonic" than his doppelganger. Obviously that isn't all there is to Shadow, but you can't accurately discuss Shadow without acknowledging that he is Dark Sonic, and I don't see how making him an echo because of that would be any more insulting than it is to any of the characters who did get in as echoes.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

It's a miracle that Cloud made it to Smash in the first place. We can conclude that the reason FF only has 2 tracks is because of Square Enix. 

There's even been some word going out that Cloud was the last veteran that Sakurai got back for Ultimate because of Square being difficult.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, CC14 Breaks the Internet said:

Chrom stops talking about Robin and gets a little attention himself.

I was expecting Chrom himself to intervene the dialogue again but guess not...

Also is it me or did they replace Viridis voice actor?

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

That's what I've heard

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Not just you, Viridi does sound different. 

Eh, it's too high pitched now. I know it's slight, but still.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

She sounds so different that there's no way they could possibly have not redone all of her lines in the reused guidances.

No.

IIRC, Hynden Walch was uncredited in Smash 3ds/Wii U, which lead people to claim someone else took over for her (I don't remember who) 

Maybe she's acually playing Viridi this time?

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/323095-smash-bros-ultimate-will-not-allow-for-custom-moves-or-equippabl

Nov_SSB_scrn003_BMP_jpgcopy.0.jpg

Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS let you add in custom moves to your favorite characters, but that's not going to be the case with Smash Bros. Ultimate. A Nintendo rep confirmed that custom moves will not return, unless you're playing as the Mii Fighter. Equippable items have also been removed.

As someone who only played the 3DS version- and even then, very casually- I didn't do much with Customs. What's the general consensus on them?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Forte-Metallix said:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/323095-smash-bros-ultimate-will-not-allow-for-custom-moves-or-equippabl

Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS let you add in custom moves to your favorite characters, but that's not going to be the case with Smash Bros. Ultimate. A Nintendo rep confirmed that custom moves will not return, unless you're playing as the Mii Fighter. Equippable items have also been removed.

As someone who only played the 3DS version- and even then, very casually- I didn't do much with Customs. What's the general consensus on them?

Ok that's good to know. I was hoping Mii Fighter's weren't locked to the defaults. I don't care much for everyone else having custom as they were way too much of a pain to unlock. 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

They were essentially alternate special moves for fighters.

They were nice.... until shenanigans like custom Palutena occurred and they,  along with customized miis were banned from online play. 

So, not really used a lot in the long term. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, pretty sure they changed the voice for Viridi. The one from Wii U was unmistakably Hynden Walch, and this actress definitely isn't her. Granted, it's close enough to be serviceable, but yeah, still different 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I'm not saying there's some sort of conspiracy against Sonic, but seeing as he's the only 3rd party character that's been with the series since Brawl, I'd say he deserved an Echo Fighter like Ryu and Simon did.

Well, in my eyes he's still pretty much a guest. He's not owned by Nintendo so any and all representation he gets is easy for me to be grateful for. I don't really think he "deserves" anything honestly.

I'd be all for them giving him more stuff if they wanted to though.

• Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

I liked the idea of Custom moves, but the way they were handled was disappointing. It was really annoying you couldn't modify them on the character select, instead having to set them up before hand in the Custom Character section. And the game didn't tell you how many custom moves you'd unlocked for each character, so you'd had to check each one manually, which was such a slog with a huge cast. Unlocking them was completely random, and you could get duplicates of moves you'd already obtained, so not only could you get Customs for a character you never play, you could keeping getting those ones again. Not being able to use them in online play also reduced the incentive to get invested in a character's alternate moveset. 

I wasn't a fan of the equipment. A lot of them had a bunch of different effects that'd felt cheap to use in standard matches with friends (like getting healed with every attack you land on a opponent, Double Final Smashes, etc) and were only useful to counter the BS of going through Classic mode on harder difficulties. They also suffered from the aforementioned issues with setting up Custom Fighters before matches.   

• Thumbs Up 1

There's something I noticed after watching this ProZD video a few years ago:

All the Awakening characters have a line that goes "Time to ___________!"  With that being said, what do you think Chrom's will be?

56 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, in my eyes he's still pretty much a guest. He's not owned by Nintendo so any and all representation he gets is easy for me to be grateful for. I don't really think he "deserves" anything honestly.

I'd be all for them giving him more stuff if they wanted to though.

It's hard to be grateful when all Sonic representation in Smash has been almost the same ever since Brawl. All people wanted was a Sonic clone in the form of Shadow.

It's useless to bitch about it now, but I'm just saying.

2 hours ago, Penny said:

Yeah, pretty sure they changed the voice for Viridi. The one from Wii U was unmistakably Hynden Walch, and this actress definitely isn't her. Granted, it's close enough to be serviceable, but yeah, still different 

Close enough? That doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Since now we know that mode that had the Geno icon can contain spirits, does that confirm Geno is a spirit?

It was confirmed that mode can contain spirits? If so then Geno is probably a spirit yeah.

Koji Kondo himself brings us this sick take on King Bowser from SMB3.

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

It was confirmed that mode can contain spirits? If so then Geno is probably a spirit yeah.

Yeah in the announcer trailer they mention how that little mini game can also use spirits. So if so, that may possibly deconfirm Geno for wave 1 of dlc.