Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Heihachi is unlikely because Sakurai tried to do him in Smash 4 but couldn't figure how to implement his moveset

10 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Heihachi is unlikely because Sakurai tried to do him in Smash 4 but couldn't figure how to implement his moveset

Awww, this sucks! Hey, are you a dream crusher? Because you definitely crushed mine.:joy::stuck_out_tongue:

8 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

It was the most business those two ever got their whole lives. 

Actually, since we're on the subject: Is there really nothing at all from the Ace Attorney franchise in Ultimate?  Considering that it's a fairly recognisable, largely Nintendo-exclusive franchise from a third party which has otherwise been pretty generous with lending their material to Smash, I have to say its absence seems curious to me.

• Promotion 1

10 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

His current VA also has passed away recently, so i'm guessing they avoided trying again out of respect until Bamco decides who's gonna voice him in eventual other titles.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Sakurai can make a moveset for Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, etc. but he couldn't make one for a character that's literally from a fighting game.

Seriously, I don't understand why people like Sakurai so much.

"Bring me the ultimate fighting game in exactly TEN days!"

"We can leak it in NINE!"

"EIGHT!"

"SEVEN!"

"SIX!"

*copyright strikes*

"...Ten it is, then."

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

18 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

He said the same thing about Villager during the Brawl days. Guess who got in 4?

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

He said the same thing about Villager during the Brawl days. Guess who got in 4?

HE said that Villager didn't seem like a fighter.  Heihachi he said he straight up couldn't figure out to how to implement Tekken style moves

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sakurai can make a moveset for Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, etc. but he couldn't make one for a character that's literally from a fighting game.

I mean exactly, those characters all have so much room for interesting, wacky stuff.  If Heihachi doesn't play in a way that evokes his source material, instead taking moves based off his personality or other more obscure concepts from the franchise, people would be disappointed and cry foul that he was turned into a "joke character", a description that could be said to apply to all the characters you just listed.  Fortunately, since those characters don't come from fighting games, there's much more wiggle room in adapting gameplay concepts from their games into fighting moves.  If a character's moveset is already "fighting moves" and they don't work for Smash... what else can you do?

(EDIT: Granted don't take the tone of my reply with full force since upon scrolling up I'm reminded that "Sakurai couldn't get the Tekken moves to work for Smash" was a tidbit that hadn't been mentioned at the time of your post yet).

• Thumbs Up 4

Heihatchi from Tekken literally has dozens upon dozens of moves spread across 4 different attack buttons for each of his limbs that also depend on whether he's facing his opponent or not. 

Smash Bros has two attack buttons and around 12 moves per character max. 16 if you count special moves. Maybe a few more for some of the more gimmicky characters from Smash 4 specifically. 

As a Tekken player, I don't see how Heihachi works logistically. I would count on them to figure it out given time, but they don't have time to fuck around with stuff like that forever. It doesn't make any sense to hold this against Sakurai unless I wanted to be an entitled baby about it. 

Don't be an entitled baby about it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Have you not been paying attention to everything this man has managed to accomplish?

• Thumbs Up 7

42 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

TFW Final Fantasy only has two Spirits

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.5732ac54cb1d2356d6ea58bfcf4ff3b0.png

God I kinda wish they had never put Cloud in Smash. The utter lack of FF content in the game compared to every other franchise is such an awkward little inconsistent stain with the rest of the product.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Heihatchi from Tekken literally has dozens upon dozens of moves spread across 4 different attack buttons for each of his limbs that also depend on whether he's facing his opponent or not. 

Smash Bros has two attack buttons and around 12 moves per character max. 16 if you count special moves. Maybe a few more for some of the more gimmicky characters from Smash 4 specifically. 

As a Tekken player, I don't see how Heihachi works logistically. I would count on them to figure it out given time, but they don't have time to fuck around with stuff like that forever. It doesn't make any sense to hold this against Sakurai unless I wanted to be an entitled baby about it. 

Don't be an entitled baby about it. 

I mean, to be fair, PlayStation All-Stars had Heihachi in the game, and his gimmick was using a more traditionally-styled fighting game setup as opposed to the more "out there" moves of others and he worked out relatively fine there. Heihachi also has control of electricity and several possible back-up characters like Kuma for usage. It would be difficult to translate, but I don't think impossible.

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

God I kinda wish they had never put Cloud in Smash.

I'm ecstatic that we have Cloud (lord knows it's great the Smash 4 helped revitalize his sturdy "Let's Mosey" persona that modern Square had been trying to bury).

Yes,  it comes with great difficulties but the alternative of having him not show would suck. 

Square need to get off their high horses either way.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

I'm ecstatic that we have Cloud (lord knows it's great the Smash 4 helped revitalize his sturdy "Let's Mosey" persona that modern Square had been trying to bury).

Yes,  it comes with great difficulties but the alternative of having him not show would suck. 

Square need to get off their high horses either way.

Yeah, maybe I'd feel differently if I was a FF fan.  I just think I get frustrated enough with how little love Sonic gets in the game, I feel like I'd get an ulcer if I was super into FF.  As a non-fan I'd say my biggest frustration is the lack of music.  Midgar is an extremely cool stage and I'm glad it's in the game... but I hate that I can only play on it with a choice of two plarpy-warpy midi songs that don't evoke the grandeur of the visuals whatsoever to someone who doesn't have a nostalgia filter to artificially upgrade said music.

It also feels kinda awkward that Smash would celebrate the game which iconifies Square jumping ship from Nintendo for the Playstation but I guess water under the bridge and all that at this point lol.  With FF7 on the way to Switch soon, you'd think they'd do just a little something extra.

My (admittedly limited) understanding of Tekken is that a lot of high level play seems to depend on an odd variation of juggling - less knocking people into the air and intercepting them, and more catching them as many times as you can with attacks before they hit the ground. Based on that I guess you could make a character that relies a lot on low/fixed knockback moves, but by that point you're kinda just making a much more boring Bayonetta?

I think the important consideration here is that Smash is almost as much a platforming game as it is a fighting one, and although I have little doubt Heihachi has an overwhelming amount of material for the latter, he has nothing going for him in the former. Even Ryu, traditional fighter though he is, still had very obvious platformy interactions with the Tatsu and the Shoryuken going for him.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Have you not been paying attention to everything this man has managed to accomplish?

It's not like he accomplished everything on his own.

I'm mostly just pissed at him for the characters he chooses to put in the game.

5 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sorry but it's hard to take this post as anything other than "When Sakurai does good stuff he doesn't deserve credit because he had a game development team.  When he does stuff I don't like, it's entirely his fault alone."

I mean, that aside, you gotta take a step back and appreciate the fact that you wouldn't be so pissed that Heihachi isn't in the game if it wasn't for said game being goddamn amazing.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1
  • Absolutely 2

I'm calling it. This character WILL make it in DLC:

Spoiler

Sylux

Image result for sylux

A minor character up to this point, it is HEAVILY suggested that he'll be the main boss of Metroid Prime 4.  This is because he appears in the final cut scenes of both Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Federation Force.  He's also the only other hunter to have his ship be seen. He also does NOT have a Spirit, and while Spirits don't seem to deconfirm characters, it sees odd that he wouldn't (Other people say the same about Porky, but Giygas is missing one too and there won't be two Mother characters.  #Ninten4DLC ).  Also, every Metroid Prime main antagonist is now covered up to the upcoming 4 (Ridley, Dark Samus).  We'll probably get a  Metroid Prime 4 stage and at least this theme:

He's the only deadlock in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Sorry but it's hard to take this post as anything other than "When Sakurai does good stuff he doesn't deserve credit because he had a game development team.  When he does stuff I don't like, it's entirely his fault alone."

I mean, that aside, you gotta take a step back and appreciate the fact that you wouldn't be so pissed that Heihachi isn't in the game if it wasn't for said game being goddamn amazing.

It makes sense, doesn't it? Everyone credits Sakurai for putting characters like G&W, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt in the game.

And when Bayonetta is OP in Sm4sh people are quick to blame the entire development team and Nintendo for not fixing her, not just Sakurai. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit for the great things in the game (like bringing everyone back) but I don't think he deserves all the praise he gets.

And I don't care about Heihachi, I was just using him as an example. The characters I'm mad about are the ones that ended up as Assist Trophies.

I know I'm acting like a whiny kid. First world problems.

36 minutes ago, JezMM said:

With FF7 on the way to Switch soon, you'd think they'd do just a little something extra.

Square tend to be stingy with a lot of crossovers sadly. You should see the Noctis in Tekken ordeals, oy vey.

Ironically enough, they split with Nintendo because of cartridges...so here they are back on a cartridge system of Nintendo's.

24 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I'm calling it. This character WILL make it in DLC:

Hide contents

Sylux

Image result for sylux

A minor character up to this point, it is HEAVILY suggested that he'll be the main boss of Metroid Prime 4.  This is because he appears in the final cut scenes of both Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Federation Force.  He's also the only other hunter to have his ship be seen. He also does NOT have a Spirit, and while Spirits don't seem to deconfirm characters, it sees odd that he wouldn't (Other people say the same about Porky, but Giygas is missing one too and there won't be two Mother characters.  #Ninten4DLC ).  Also, every Metroid Prime main antagonist is now covered up to the upcoming 4 (Ridley, Dark Samus).  We'll probably get a  Metroid Prime 4 stage and at least this theme:

He's the only deadlock in my opinion.

I may be in the minority, but I've always found this one to be a case of putting the cart before the horse.

36 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Nobody ever said he did.

36 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Dude, as someone who's agonizing over whether or not Phoenix Wright will get in, I'm sorry, but even I know that's some weak entitlement complex there.

What even gets you riled about the character choices? Yes, some of the assists are disappointing and their reveal times weren't that well handled, but still, it sounds like more of a coincidence than an actual pattern to get pissed at him for.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

I may be in the minority, but I've always found this one to be a case of putting the cart before the horse.

It isn't because Nintendo is likely to want to promote their upcoming big releases.  Those next year are Animal Crossing (We have Isabelle), Luigi's Mansion (Luigi's new poltergust), Pokemon (They're probably be some new rep), and Metroid Prime 4

Spoiler

True, there is Dark Samus and Ridley, however, neither of them appear to be set to have a presence in the game (Maybe RIdley will appear in a cutscene, no mention of him yet).  Samus doesn't have any new tech to from it.   Sylux is also is unique in one way I forgot to mention:  He also is the only hunter other than Samus to have his ship shown, which really says something about how the Metroid developers view him.