Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

Not quite Smash news, but Smash-adjacent: remember how Mythra's design was "censored" for her spirit?

Apparently the design is now available as a costume in XC2:

Makes all the complaints about it ruining the sanctity of the developer's artistic vision or whatever look pretty silly.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Today's countdown to Smash Ultimate picture is...

Sonic the Hedgehog!

Oh how I love it when the series artists draw the characters in the game for this countdown!

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Oh snap! This ain't a drill folks!

This clip has been known about for awhile now, this was at e3. It’s why people have been so sure of a announcement at the game awards

• Thumbs Up 1

Having Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee save data on your Switch starting Dec. 14th unlocks exclusive Spirits, apparently. No official word on if this is the only way to unlock them, though.

So I’m curious, what’s the first newcomer character you’re gonna try out? (The Smash 4 dlc characters can count if you never got around to buying them and trying them out.) For me, it’s almost without a doubt Richter or Incineroar. The former cause he’s the more interesting Castlevania character, and the latter because his moveset looks so fun! (If piranha Plant was out in the base roster, would have been him tho.)

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So I’m curious, what’s the first newcomer character you’re gonna try out? (The Smash 4 dlc characters can count if you never got around to buying them and trying them out.) For me, it’s almost without a doubt Richter or Incineroar. The former cause he’s the more interesting Castlevania character, and the latter because his moveset looks so fun! (If piranha Plant was out in the base roster, would have been him tho.)

Definitely wanna give Incineroar a shot out of the newcomers seeing his moveset and the little touches he has for them, like those taunts. He seems like such a showoff and I love it.

Whoever I unlock first

Spoiler

The unlocks are random outside of Classic it seems

So, my configuration seems to be Sonic as my main;  Pichu, Richter, Ridley and Wolf as my secondaries; and Tails as my Smash Tag.  What about you guys?

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Whoever I unlock first

Hide contents

The unlocks are random outside of Classic it seems

So, my configuration seems to be Sonic as my main;  Pichu, Richter, Ridley and Wolf as my secondaries; and Tails as my Smash Tag.  What about you guys?

Hold my beer.

Mains: Dr. Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, King Dedede, Ryu, K. Rool, Bowser Jr.( Larry, Roy, Iggy, Morton. No point as listing them separate)

Secondary: Young Link, Pac Man, Ken, Wario,Little Mac, Simon Belmont, Dark Pit

Third :  Mario, Pichu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo

fuKsneD.jpg

Since I have Sonic's amiibo, he'll be the first, in addition to the most used, character on my end. I plan to play as Sheik and Pikachu Libre as secondaries and am most interested in Isabelle as far as newcomers go.

2 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Since I have Sonic's amiibo, he'll be the first

Amiibos don't unlock characters (It's been tested)

9 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Amiibos don't unlock characters (It's been tested)

Oh. I thought it had been confirmed for some reason. At least I don't have to go looking for it then...

Sooo it looks like the first thing I'll be doing is

Beating Classic Mode with Mario

39 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Oh. I thought it had been confirmed for some reason. At least I don't have to go looking for it then...

It was a rumor started from misleading information on the website.

I'm glad they avoided Yoshi for Espio's possession...but Sonic instead of Greninja? What, did they think two Pokemon and K.Rool would be unbalanced rep?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 days left. So new topic to discuss! Which 3rd party franchise do you personally feel got the best treatment in Ultimate? And who got the worst? 

Personally? I’m gonna have to say either Castlevania or Street Fighter, which is a bit surprising considering those aren’t the big names you figured that’d get as much attention. I thought megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic would get that, but they’re just kinda...there? Like I genuinely forget Pac and Megaman are in sometimes. But maybe I’m the only one that feels like this.

as for worst, hands down Cloud. The dude barely even came back for Ultimate, and doesn’t seem to be getting much in the way of content outside his stage and character...like he passes Sonic, who for the longest time was considered the 3rd party rep that got the short end of the stick. (He’s still gonna be one of my mains tho.)

47 minutes ago, KHCast said:

megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic would get that, but they’re just kinda...there? Like I genuinely forget Pac and Megaman are in sometimes. But maybe I’m the only one that feels like this.

as for worst, hands down Cloud. The dude barely even came back for Ultimate, and doesn’t seem to be getting much in the way of content outside his stage and character...like he passes Sonic, who for the longest time was considered the 3rd party rep that got the short end of the stick. (He’s still gonna be one of my mains tho.)

Megaman has 31 songs in the music files and two Assist trophies.  Sonic has 2 assist trophies and 2 stages.  Pac-Man would have 2 stages, but there's something about the 3DS one that somehow doesn't work.  And Cloud isn't being treated bad, Enix is just have a deathgrip over all FF music and characters not in Smash 4.  Bayonetta has new tracks and an assist trophy; and Metal Gear has new tracks and a fan-favorite stage.  None of them are being treated badly.

Here is the Mega Man songlist if you don't believe me:

Spoiler

Mega Man 2 Medley

Spark Man Stage

Cut Man Stage

Air Man Stage

Quick Man Stage

Shadow Man Stage

Mega Man Retro Medley

Mega Man 2 Retro Medley

Mega Man 3 Retro Medley

Mega Man 4-6 Retro Medley

Mega Man 4 Medley

Flash Man Stage

Wood Man Stage

Central Highway

We're Robots (Dr. Wily Stage 2)

Guts Man Stage

Fire Man Stage

Dark Man

Top Man

Ice Man

Metal Man

Crash Man

Gravity Man

Napalm Man

Bomb Man

Hard Man

Flash In the Dark (Dr. Wily Stage 1)

X Vs. Zero

Theme of Zero

Shooting Star

Snake Man

• Thumbs Up 1

Square being restrictive in tern results in a underwhelming character with little to offer. So I’d still argue isn’t getting the same love others are

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Square being restrictive in tern results in a underwhelming character with little to offer. So I’d still argue isn’t getting the same love others are

Doesn’t matter what sakurai and Nintendo can and couldn’t do. The end point is still regardless the same. A underwhelming character with little to offer in terms of feeling like it got the same level of care. Especially when there’s people implying he was a last second edition in Ultimate. I definitely believe they did what they could, and what we have is nice, but it’s obvious he’s just there and doesn’t feel nearly as impactful to the game despite how iconic Cloud is. He’s just there, and hasn’t even brought anything iconic aside from Midgar and 2 unchanged tracks to the table. And that sucks and is underwhelming 

• Thumbs Up 1

Underwhelming? With a case like Cloud,  that's not really the proper term.

His treatment is weak,  but the last thing people find him to be is underwhelming as a character. 

Music and stages are nice,  but they aren't what shape the character additions themselves; lets not kid ourselves. 

For example,  the likes of Sephiroth or Sora,  even if say,  Sora gets castrated of the Disney stuff and music,  or Sephorith only comes with One Winged Angel for a track (and even still,  it's freaking "One Winged Angel), the characters themselves are what people are fighting for the most. 

Doesn't excuse their treatment,  but you'd be foolish to think that the majority find the character underwhelming because of that stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I'd say Castlevania definitely got the best treatment.  A stage with tons of bosses, an echo fighter, tons of music from a wide variety of games, and an assist trophy too.  Street Fighter would be next thanks to an echo fighter and assist trophies - the only black mark on it's record being that, if I recall, all the music is remixes of stuff from Street Fighter II?  I'm not into the franchise though so it could be a case where that is literally the only game with memorable music or something lol.  Mega Man is probably next due to a huge amount of new music from a variety of games across the series.  Bayonetta and Sonic prolly come after that since he at least gets two stages even if they are both old, as well as a new Assist Trophy and a tiny amount of new music.  Bayonetta had a very generous amount of content to begin with so she's fairly equal to Sonic with her small additions too.  Pac-Man is kinda rubbish just because his stage was kinda rubbish and he doesn't get any new music that's directly attached to him, just the whole "representing Namco's arcade games generally" thing.  It's a shame they couldn't just rework Pac-Maze to remove the "each player has their own screen" features.  It could've just relegated the Pac-Man gameplay stuff to aesthetics and leave it as a standard, hazardless stage like Umbra Clock Tower or Suzaku Castle etc.

And... yeah Cloud is just dead last and it's disappointing and just bothers me on a consistency basis regarding the overall package of the game.  But I ranted about that a week or two ago already lol.

• Thumbs Up 4