Awoo.

Sonic game based (roughly) in SATAM/Archie Universe

GOAT

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there is a game out there that (is fanmade obviously), takes place in the Archie/SATAM universe and is an rpg style. Or I guess any game type for that matter that takes place in this universe. Ya know like using a lot of the characters from it and the various places.

I have been wanting a game like this for a long time. I always have dreamed about it. I think about it being a sandbox RPG game based off Mobius. You'd be able to go to the Floating Island, Robotropolis, etc and zones would be instances and such. You can interact with characters like the Chaotix, all the freedom fighters, mobians and many more. Even better would be if you could play different characters and have it be a style like Sonic Adventure where everything ties together. Anyways, I am just thinking about it and felt like posting something about it. Wonder if anyone else feels how I do on a game like this.

I heard there was a SatAM fangame in development, and I think a few demos came out of it but that was it. It was more of the Classic Sonic type.

There was actually a SatAM that was gonna be made before it became Sonic Xtreme, and we all know what happened to that. Here's the prototype.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was not going to become X-Treme, this is an unrelated pitch that was made way earlier than X-Treme started development. It's not tied to the SatAM-based story ideas X-Treme had early on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine based on it or was that the other cartoon? 

The best SatAM related game you’ll find out there is Sonic Epoch for the Game Boy Advance. It started life as a DOS game before being ported and completed on Game Boy Advance hardware by the primary developer. You can find the Rom file with a quick google search and Visual boy Advance M emulator should be able to play it with save files working (when not on original hardware, the game has glitches regarding save files, but VBAM seems to get it right).

It’s a 2D sidescroller, not an rpg, but it has plenty of cutscenes and written dialogue. It’s a fair bit darker than SatAM or Archie ever got; it’s essentially a lost fanfic from an era in which writers like Dan Drazen and Robert Brown & Francis Tolbert were developing the SatAM world into something much more threatening. Epoch’s story is not as good as those author’s works, but it about the best you’ll find in a Sonic fan game. Surprisingly good musical score too. Shame the gameplay is so basic, but its a relic of the DOS development days.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Thank you all. I am currently researching all these. I remember that SATAM demo and salivating over it hoping something of it would be playable someday. I wish I knew how to make video games....I'd try to make one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Wasn't Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine based on it or was that the other cartoon? 

That was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog only, right down to using some very obscure characters from it (or the show used some game characters, idk). 

Funnily enough, Spinball is technically a mixed tie-in game; it has equal representation of SatAM and AoStH in the bonus rounds, and the only edge SatAM has above that is the Cluck cameo in the first stage. Everything else is either original assets or from the main games and not either of the cartoons (Tails' Tornado, Eggman's general design even though it's not exactly his classic clothing either). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of Mean Bean's "obscure" cast are from the first episode, all the bots Robotnik employed before inventing Scratch and Grounder.

4 hours ago, antyep said:

There was actually a SatAM that was gonna be made before it became Sonic Xtreme, and we all know what happened to that. Here's the prototype.

I was wondering if anyone brought up Sonic Mars yet.

What is up with that music?

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

That was not going to become X-Treme, this is an unrelated pitch that was made way earlier than X-Treme started development. It's not tied to the SatAM-based story ideas X-Treme had early on. 

Really now? Heh, everyday's a school day.

3 hours ago, Legendary Emerald said:

The best SatAM related game you’ll find out there is Sonic Epoch for the Game Boy Advance. It started life as a DOS game before being ported and completed on Game Boy Advance hardware by the primary developer. You can find the Rom file with a quick google search and Visual boy Advance M emulator should be able to play it with save files working (when not on original hardware, the game has glitches regarding save files, but VBAM seems to get it right).

It’s a 2D sidescroller, not an rpg, but it has plenty of cutscenes and written dialogue. It’s a fair bit darker than SatAM or Archie ever got; it’s essentially a lost fanfic from an era in which writers like Dan Drazen and Robert Brown & Francis Tolbert were developing the SatAM world into something much more threatening. Epoch’s story is not as good as those author’s works, but it about the best you’ll find in a Sonic fan game. Surprisingly good musical score too. Shame the gameplay is so basic, but its a relic of the DOS development days.

...Is this an actual thing?

24 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog only, right down to using some very obscure characters from it (or the show used some game characters, idk). 

And by very obscure, she mean mostly cleaned up versions of badbackground designs.

• Fist Bump 1

Hey, I actually know of a few SATAM based/inspired games-

A 2D platformer called "Sonic Nebulous", here's the MOD DB page for it 

http://www.moddb.com/games/sonic-nebulous

That guy was working on a sequel for years, but it appears progress has ground to a halt on that. Still, here a version that's publicly available 

There are a few MUGEN based brawlers under the name "Sonic Freedom Fighters" that are of... umm... dubious quality. 

Razor and Zennon covered this game "Sonic SatAM Liberations"

Lastly, somebody has indeed been working on SATAM based RPG's here a link to his site- 

http://knuckleschaotix.net/twisted.htm

I found out about this after he entered "Forces of Mobius" into last years SAGE contest. You're going to want to look up that game up for yourself on Youtube. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I was actually going to bring up Sonic Nebulous, too. Hehehehe~

That game was really fun as an off kilter and totally unique Sonic game in art direction even though the gameplay took a ton after classic Sonic games even with Sonic having a boost button that uses up rings. The sequel is extremely interesting for those who want to check it out since like Sonic Chrono Adventure it's also a Sonicvania game but with this one continuing to take place in its SatAM based world. This one also is a ton more focused too with the character focus being sharpened into a handful of characters over the Sonic World level of playable characters the first one did. It's also the rare 2D game that features and night and day system too. I don't think it's too finished and I'm sure that's the case because I replayed the original Sonic Nebulous some time ago and was shocked to find out it was still getting updated. I was pretty happy to find that out. It's far away from being my favourite Sonic fangame and I'm still yearning for the first actually good/great Sonic Comics/SatAM game but it's a fun romp for anyone hungry to see SatAM and the comics represented in a game. 

I still have yet to play Sonic Liberation but it's direction as Sonic Streets of Rage is so much fun and I love that you get dialogue in levels like in Streets of Rage 3 but while you're playing the level. It's good fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr Silvia said:

Hey, I actually know of a few SATAM based/inspired games-

A 2D platformer called "Sonic Nebulous", here's the MOD DB page for it 

http://www.moddb.com/games/sonic-nebulous

That guy was working on a sequel for years, but it appears progress has ground to a halt on that. Still, here a version that's publicly available 

There are a few MUGEN based brawlers under the name "Sonic Freedom Fighters" that are of... umm... dubious quality. 

Razor and Zennon covered this game "Sonic SatAM Liberations"

Lastly, somebody has indeed been working on SATAM based RPG's here a link to his site- 

http://knuckleschaotix.net/twisted.htm

I found out about this after he entered "Forces of Mobius" into last years SAGE contest. You're going to want to look up that game up for yourself on Youtube. 

Can't help but find some amusement in Sally using fire attacks there.

But why does she have a ponytail and is that Rosie at the end of the video?

Also, can't say I approve of that color palette and music.

I forgot how much I liked the bonus stage music.

Are those mini-bosses based on anything in particular?

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Funnily enough, Spinball is technically a mixed tie-in game; it has equal representation of SatAM and AoStH in the bonus rounds, and the only edge SatAM has above that is the Cluck cameo in the first stage. Everything else is either original assets or from the main games and not either of the cartoons (Tails' Tornado, Eggman's general design even though it's not exactly his classic clothing either). 

I did'nt know that about Sonic Spinball , I've played the game but not that much. Never knew or just didn't realise that it was a tie-in game to those series. I remember the shows being shown in the UK back in the day but I never really latched on to it. 

The fact it ties into SatAM is pretty well known, the fact it ties into AoStH isn't. I guess since MBM is purely AoStH then many people assume that Spinball is the SatAM equivalent, when in reality there is no purely SatAM game. Even Underground got a Tiger Electronic game to itself, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Are you serious?

Yep.

Even has some of the cast (Sonia, Manic, Dingo, maybe Sleet but I can't tell), which is impressive for a Tiger Electronic game. 

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Yep.

Even has some of the cast (Sonia, Manic, Dingo, maybe Sleet but I can't tell), which is impressive for a Tiger Electronic game. 

Huh.

You know, I was gonna get annoyed that Underground got a game over SatAM, but that's actually kinda neat there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know of this one that someone's been working on.. 

( I was also working on one myself but.. not sure if I'll ever get back to it..)

• 1 year later...