Awoo.

SEGA Genesis collection for PC XBOX ONE & PS4

Eurisko

Oh yay! The original Sonic on PS4!

...you know, that isn't on PS Now if you count Generations.

Now if only they could sell this on the Switch. I could use some Genesis goodness in that library.

Can't say I particularly care. Would've enjoyed it a lot more if it was the Taxman ports, otherwise it's pretty meh,

• Thumbs Up 2

Aren't most of the SEGA Classics backwards compatible on Xbox One from what I remember?

Makes sense for PS4 though. 

All in all it's most likely just a SEGA thing to get some quick bucks. Nothing out of the extraordinary. 

Honestly unless it has something else going for it ( like moddablility like that SEGA Mega Drive Classics thing for the PC) then I don't see the point. After all, I already have like three of those things. But that isn't the important thing. No, let's reflect on the fact that SEGA let something leak AGAIN! Seriously, they can't keep a secret of the fate of the world depended on it.

Copying from Neo Hazzard on Sonic Retro:

Posted Image

*Screenshotted from the removed trailer

It might not be entirely devoid of new features, I don't recall the extras menu being on the current Steam version either!

• Thumbs Up 3

I hope it has some new games separate from Sonic's UGC. There are still some games I never got, so naturally, any new games here would be welcome. But only time will tell for sure.

I'm gonna keep my eye on it, at any rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean this is decent only if you've never played sonic 1 in the multiple rereleases over the years or most these in collections.  neat trailer music I suppose

2 hours ago, The Loudest Loud said:

Copying from Neo Hazzard on Sonic Retro:

Posted Image

*Screenshotted from the removed trailer

It might not be entirely devoid of new features, I don't recall the extras menu being on the current Steam version either!

So uh, Sonic 3 and Knuckles seems to be removed from the game.

If you look closely at the shelf, you can see the Sonic games in the collection, in order - Sonic 1, 2 3D, and Spinball. If you looked above 3D, you can see Mean Bean Machine too but that's likely there more for Puyo more than anything.

Well, it will be nice to play mega-drive games on PS4 even if it is just emulations. As this appears more or less to be like the recent Steam versions, SEGA has had more than enough time to get the emulation running as smooth as possible. Looking forward playing and streaming these games.

However....

...from that screenshot alone I'm expecting the Sonic 1 & 2 versions to be emulations of the original and not the Taxman ports, M2 ports or even the SEGA Forever versions. If this is the case then SEGA can fuck-off. Unless of course they are planning to release a separate collection with the Taxman ports or they are going to be included with the Sonic Mania Plus edition, which after seeing this announcement I now seriously doubt!

Doesn't look like this collection will include Sonic CD, or even the original version (which of course is a Mega CD game and not a Mega-Drive title).

As for Sonic 3 & Knuckles not appearing to be included. Honestly, is anyone surprised at this point? The best 2d game continues to be ignored due to all the music legal-issues bollocks. I'm a bit surprised that S&K (on it's own minus the Sonic 3 half) isn't included, but whatever...

So, YAY to a collection of Mega-Drive games and Spinball, 3D Blast and Mean Bean.

NAY for the shitty emulations of Sonic 1&2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, alright I guess. Can't say I'm too wild about it personally (or the lack of a Switch version, what's up with that?), but it makes sense to port the lot over and, hey, if it's a chance to play 3&K on the telly again I'll happily take i-

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So uh, Sonic 3 and Knuckles seems to be removed from the game.

CHANGED MY MIND COLLECTION IS TERRIBLE NOW

• Thumbs Up 1

The Genesis collecton's been officially announced! Features like Rewind, mirror mode and screen filters are included! 

• Thumbs Up 1

No sonic 3 eh I'll wait for it to hit the 10 dollar bin. Sega used that damn money from miku stuff and buy the rights to sonic 3 already

Do you know how depressing it is that SEGA are straight up ignoring arguably the best Sonic game in the franchise? Not counting the Steam version the last time you could play the full fat S3K experience on a console at least was on the fucking Wii. They keep pushing Sonic 2 out there onto every platform and gave it the Taxman treatment and I love me some Sonic 2 but the total neglect of S3K... it genuinely hurts man.

Apparently there are legal issues surrounding the soundtrack, not from MJ's estate but from some of the team members MJ brought with him. So it may not be SEGA being deliberately neglectful. What a saddening situation. The game is a bona fide classic that is going to be 25 next year.Something has to be done to save this wonderful game from the purgatory its stuck in...

Full Game List.

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/03/14/sega-mega-drive-classics-featuring-over-50-iconic-games-hits-ps4-on-29th-may/

• Thumbs Up 1

There's actually not much difference from the Ultimate MegaDrive collection on 360/PS3 really. Nice to have Sonic 1+2 on PS4 but no Sonic 3&K? Wow!! glad it's got Revenge of Shinobi though

EDIT: Oooh Phantasy Star AND Toejam and Earl!! I'm actually quite exited for this now

Where the fuck is Sonic 3 and Knuckles?

How dare they remove my favourite Sonic game of all time.

*Shakes fist* How dare they. :mad:

• Thumbs Up 1

I was waiting until a list came out before touching this but no 3K really surprises me honestly. A Taxman remake I see the issues but as far as I knew they were perfectly fine re-selling the roms since they're just redistributing the existing version of the game and not really making a new product in of itself. The fact that the game remained part of the Steam version as of the "hub" update suggested to me there weren't any right issues on THAT front and I'd like to imagine circumstances haven't gotten worse since then given that the update was fairly recent.

So comparing to the Ultimate collection very quickly the new additions seem to be:

• Alien Soldier
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Crack Down
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Space Harrier II
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

While these were dropped:

• Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco: The Tides of Time
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Alien Syndrome 
  • Altered Beast 
  • Congo Bongo
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Golden Axe Warrior 
  • Phantasy Star
  • Shinobi
  • Space Harrier 
  • Zaxxon 

The games listed after Sonic and Knuckles were arcade and Master System games

Just now, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Very Cool!

The Ultimate Genesis Collection for the X-Box 360 and PS3 was already great.

Agreed , it was like £20 when that came out which i thought was a steal for the content that it provided. Hopefully this will be similarly priced.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Marcello said:
  • Altered Beast 

Wait what.... but...

sega-genesis-classics-01-895x375.jpg

It's on the boxart!?

... ... The list isn't complete!

I AM THE MONARCH OF THE SEA!

• Thumbs Up 1