SEGA Genesis collection for PC XBOX ONE & PS4

Eurisko

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Wait what.... but...

sega-genesis-classics-01-895x375.jpg

It's on the boxart!?

... ... The list isn't complete!

I AM THE MONARCH OF THE SEA!

Pretty sure he means the arcade version.

55 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Pretty sure he means the arcade version.

Yeah there was two different versions of Altered Beast , but I'm sure Marble Madness was on that collection though

Depends if the list also counts the unlockables, as far as I know all the other console games weren't the default ones on the previous collection.

Monsters Lair is a cool addition (as much as I prefer the Arcade/Turbografx versions), shame about no Ecco or S3+K though.

Seriously though, we're STILL just milking the Genesis/Megadrive market. It's been two generations since Sonic Mega Collection already. Besides some Game Gear games on Nintendo e-shop, barely anything else of SEGA gets distributed. I mean, shouldn't at least one developer have gotten a good Saturn emulator running by now, or even just one of the add ons like Mega CD or 32X, which if anything would compliment this collection.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised the Ecco games were dropped. They are very popular. Was hoping they'd be included.

As for the features, a mirror mode sounds cool. Trying to beat Sonic 1 by playing in the opposite direction could be a fun challenge.

• Thumbs Up 1

@E-122-Psi Problem is that none of those have the same interest in them as the Mega Drive. It's not like Nintendo where they could basically sell a collection of any console and get back good return, the market wasn't exactly warm to the CD, 32X or Saturn.

Doesn't help that I'm pretty sure there are indeed still issues with emulation for all of them. 

I do appreciate stuff like the Rewind feature, but if this serves as an excuse not to have Taxman's remakes on consoles than no.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

@E-122-Psi Problem is that none of those have the same interest in them as the Mega Drive. It's not like Nintendo where they could basically sell a collection of any console and get back good return, the market wasn't exactly warm to the CD, 32X or Saturn.

Doesn't help that I'm pretty sure there are indeed still issues with emulation for all of them. 

Even then though, CD and 32X have more relevance being in a Genesis/Mega Drive collection than the Master System/Arcade ones in the previous compilation, and while they may not sell brilliantly on their own, a few noteworthy games from either platform added on would likely make interest for this compilation sky rocket.

I thought CD and 32X emulation had been mostly fine-tuned (granted professional emulations always seem to be several steps behind fan ones, Megadrive sound emulation STILL has bugs in many retail releases). Gametap had distributed Knuckles Chaotix previously. Anyone know the emulation quality for that?

Pre-ordered it to add it to my Mega Drive collections collection... :thinking:

So, any info released about the ports yet? I'm assuming it'll be the exact ones from the previous compilations, but I'm hoping they've updated Sonic 1 & 2 with the Taxman versions.

Regarding Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I feel like there’s got to be something else going on with that. They’ve re-released those games numerous times in the past through Sonic Jam, Mega Collection, Wii VC, XBLA, the Classic Collection on DS, Steam, etc. It hasn’t been an issue to release these games in their original form for decades, so I’m not sure why it would be now for this collection.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up or anything, but one possibility could be that they’re finally giving us Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered, and so they don’t want it on this collection to conflict with it and take away potential sales. I would love if this turned out to be the reason for Sonic 3 & Knuckles not being in this collection.

As for the collection itself, eh. I’ve got more than enough Genesis collections from over the years (not to mention still owning an original Genesis console itself), so I’ll probably pass on this, at least while it’s at full price. The number of games included is definitely nice though, even if one of the very most important ones is missing.

• Nice Smile 1

• 1 month later...

Just over two weeks now until release date.

SEGA have been tweeting about some of the games in the build up to release:

• Thumbs Up 1

We finally have some decent footage of the new collection which was recorded (on PS4) by one of the youtubers who has been advertising the game for SEGA. He was lucky enough to visit SEGA's European headquarters in London and has been allowed to the play the game and show-off some footage. 

In his video (where he does a "10 games he's most looking forward to playing in the collection") he shows-off some brief footage of Sonic 2 in "mirror mode" with the screen flipped horizontally. Imagine trying to do the special stages with the screen flipped...

pCMpLlA.png

He confirmed that we can also play the Japanese version of Ristar. I wonder if the JP version of Dynamite Headdy (which was added to SEGA Forever release) will also bne playable in this collection?

Edit:

Another youtube who is promoting the game uploaded this Xb1 footage: 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing very mixed things on this. 

The YouTube influencers who were paid to promote the game are praising it (Shock).

But a lot of people are saying, when you look past the extras it throws in, the emulation is still really bad and some games even have missing sprites.

What's the truth SSMB?

Got the game today, it's pretty standard quality. Not a great deal of extras, though the display and mirror options are okay.

The emulation, while thankfully not ATGames level bad, is still pretty faulty in areas though. You'd think they'd have got this nailed down by now.

I find it a shame they took out the mod support given it's obviously using the Steam compilation's engine and that would have added a ton of extra appeal. Also maybe could have added more Japanese ROM options, like for the bug fixed Sonic 1 or maybe even the original Puyo Puyo version of Mean Bean Machine.

I'm hoping the game at least gets some patches for emulation and a few extra titles for DLC. It's okay for a Megadrive compilation, but there's so many other ways to play these games already that it's hard to advise.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Got the game today, it's pretty standard quality. Not a great deal of extras, though the display and mirror options are okay.

The emulation, while thankfully not ATGames level bad, is still pretty faulty in areas though. You'd think they'd have got this nailed down by now.

I find it a shame they took out the mod support given it's obviously using the Steam compilation's engine and that would have added a ton of extra appeal. Also maybe could have added more Japanese ROM options, like for the bug fixed Sonic 1 or maybe even the original Puyo Puyo version of Mean Bean Machine.

I'm hoping the game at least gets some patched emulations and few extra titles for DLC. It's okay for a Megadrive compilation, but there's so many other ways to play these games already that it's hard to advise.

I honestly probably would've been tempted if S3&K was apart of it. As is now, completely disinterested.

• 3 months later...

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

It's now coming to the Nintendo Switch this winter!

This is a bit of a weird announcement, mainly because it's coming out alongside the SEGA Ages line of games. I know some folks might balk at the idea of having a collection of (what I understand to be) quite middling emulations when there's a much better line of games coming out alongside it, but I kinda get the logic behind it.

The Genesis Classics are a cheap collection for people who aren't too fussed about the emulation quality and are more concerned with just being able to play old favourites, or having a whole bunch of games on the go (if I'm ever going to play Phantasy Star IV to completion, it'll be on a handheld). Meanwhile, the SEGA Ages line is a more expensive series intended for the die-hard SEGA fans - the people who really care about the quality of the porting, who want something special to make it stand out, who want to play SEGA games that haven't been emulated 3 billion times before.

It was always weird to me that the biggest divide between these two options was which console you owned, so I'm glad to see that the Switch has at least got both options (considering the overall shite nature of the Switch and re-releasing old games, it's just as well). It would be pretty cool if SEGA Ages did something similar and showed up on the PS4/X1, but we'll see how things go.