Awoo.

Should Infinite return to the Sonic series?

Blueknight V2.0

Now I don't know about everyone else here, but I think Infinite should return to the series. Now it could be possible since we didn't see what happened to him in Forces. Now to be fair Infinite is probably the best villain in the entire series, below Eggman and pre-anti-hero Shadow and above Nega, Metal Sonic, Chaos and Zavok. Some if not most villains I don't care for like erazor djinn, 2006 villains outside of Eggman, Black Doom, the 5 other Zeti, now villains like Black Knight and Dark Gaia I didn't mind because they made for great boss battles in those games. Now Infinite is more unique and interesting than most other Sonic villains and one of the very few who can even come close to defeating Shadow or Sonic.Since the Phantom Ruby was destroyed at the end of Forces and if Infinite did return he could still retain his mask and maybe bring back his sword skills. Or with the Sonic movie getting released next year, Infinite could appear as like a secondary villain or appear in a later 3rd film or possibly a new Sonic TV show in case Boom season 3 doesn't make the cut. Maybe Blaze and her dimensions equivelant to the Phantom Ruby (but more powerful) get transported to Sonic's world in the next game and Infinite and Eggman once again harness it's powers, of course maybe with new twists like whoever touches it becomes controlled by those who control it's powers, both Sonic's and Blaze's worlds are in danger of being destroyed. I don't know but, Infinite has only been in 1 game and a lo of people including me want to see more of the character. So, be sure to post your thought on this, if a new main series Sonic game gets announced tomorrow Infinite could reappear if it's a main series game or possibly a movie tie-in game depending if Infinite is in the film

I liked him well enough, but I know many didn't. So I'm not sure if it's wise to "capitilize" on him. Then again, Deadly Six were arguable too. And he's better choice than Mephiles, Erazor or anyone other villain from main modern games. Heck, I would prefer him that pulling out Chaos for dozenth time, no matter how I like him.

Bigger question would be a role. I think he would work best as a secret boss to a spin-off game. Maybe main villain in Olympics, alongside Fawful or something. But in the actual main tittle? Unless Sega goes wild with his illusions, I think bringing him back would feel repetitive. And if he's gonna be just one of few villains, that's Villain Decay.

But I would love to see him in IDW.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I Think he should , the character had a lot of potential and a great aesthetic. I wouldn't say his boss fights were that difficult (except that one mission where you had to beat him in under 2:20 I think it was - that drove me nuts) but the story from start to finish wasn't that hard as a whole. The Sonic franchise could cough up anyone from the past really , heck if they can bring back Zavok they can bring back anyone.

Infinite deserves another go in my opinion , that character has got legs if done properly.

I think story-wise there'd still be good potential for him as a villian who wants revenge on Sonic for humiliating him, sans his powers, but without his powers he'd lose the thing about him that made for some nice boss fights - the whole "if you get hit you get teleported to the danger zone and have to survive for a few moments" shtick.

I guess maybe he somehow obtains some weaker, artificial version of the Phantom Ruby that allows him to retain his powers but to a limited scope (i.e. he can only use them on one person at a time for boss battle purposes, he can't conjure up armies or suns anymore).

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to the idea, but given how utterly shite he was in Forces he'd need a considerable re-tooling for me to actually see a point to him returning. Granted the same would be true even if he hadn't been naff - he should only return if there's actually a decent reason for it, not because SEGA forgot to switch off the Furry Maker and now feel obligated to shove him in stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

I guess maybe he somehow obtains some weaker, artificial version of the Phantom Ruby that allows him to retain his powers but to a limited scope (i.e. he can only use them on one person at a time for boss battle purposes, he can't conjure up armies or suns anymore).

You want to turn Mr "Sharpest of Blades" into a small fry villain?

Can be a fun boss fight, but keeping him like that would kinda miss the point of the character.

16 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You want to turn Mr "Sharpest of Blades" into a small fry villain?

Can be a fun boss fight, but keeping him like that would kinda miss the point of the character.

On the contrary, it'd be more interesting to see how he would deal with being reverted to a weakened, potentially pre-"I got the mask" state and how he would react to or mitigate that, as opposed to more "look at me I'm so strong, Sonic is a BUFFOON lol" 

• Thumbs Up 7

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

On the contrary, it'd be more interesting to see how he would deal with being reverted to a weakened, potentially pre-"I got the mask" state and how he would react to or mitigate that, as opposed to more "look at me I'm so strong, Sonic is a BUFFOON lol" 

Well, calling him "Infinite" will be weird. It's like Tails losing his tail. For a while, I can imagine, but not as new 'status quo'. And now we're talking about ideas way too complicated for Sonic games writers.

I wouldn't even rule Infinite out of taking the "villain becomes a hero" path like others before him, having to learn the Bonds Of Friendship shtick that Sonic espoused. But yeah, his fate seemed ambiguous enough to have him return.

7 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Now to be fair Infinite is probably the best villain in the entire series

Yeah actually personally I would disagree.

Personally I consider Infinite complete trash, a completely uninteresting character with an utterly wasted ability. Nothing I've seen of him leads me to believe there's any value in bringing him back.

• Thumbs Up 8

I really didn't care for him in Forces outside of a few good boss fights, so I can't say that I'm on board with this.

I'd be down . Compared to most all bosses in the series besides adventure eggman. And merlina he was a good villian. Sega just sucks at writing. I  liked the all powerful attitude. Same for mephiles had he not played with his food and just right to the endgame. He has potential.

I wanna say I don't care, but if he ever did come back, I'd find myself questioning why, so I'm gonna say I'd kinda prefer if he didn't.

No.

He is one shitty villain. His backstory is shit. Even Betrayus didn't have a backstory that shitty. There is no valid reason to see him return unless his is literally torn to bits on screen.

• Thumbs Up 2

While we're on subject of controversial villains, who do you think is better: Deadly Six or Infinite?

I prefer Infinite for design, music and any attempts at depth, when DS have only attempts at comedy. I don't dislike them as much as I use to in2013, but still.

The character was wasted, so in that sense alone, if I genuinely believed Sonic Team could do a better job by bringing him back then I'd be all for it - and also in favour of any sense of continuity this decision might bring.  As it is, I'm more interested in what IDW might do with him.  But if it's a question not of whether they should, but whether they will...  Infinite was quite a polarising character; but, much like the custom character, those who liked him really liked him.  Sega may well sense that Infinite retains marketing potential.

Edit: Regarding the above, I would say that Infinite is superior to the Deadly Six in at least the sense that he felt like a Sonic character, which the Deadly Six absolutely did not.

• Fist Bump 1

Depends. If he was intended to be dead at the end of Forces, he should stay dead. If he was intended to be alive, it'd be interesting to see him go back to mercenary work post-Ruby and maybe fill the role some fans want Fang back for.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well, calling him "Infinite" will be weird.

It's been confirmed that Infinite is his real name, not a moniker, so that'd be what they do.

26 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

While we're on subject of controversial villains, who do you think is better: Deadly Six or Infinite?

I'd gladly take the Deadly Six over Infinite. They're all simple characters, but that's deliberate, compared to Infinite being about as shallow but we're expected to take him seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

It's been confirmed that Infinite is his real name, not a moniker, so that'd be what they do.

Oh, really, where was that?  Seems like an odd name for him to have as a simple jackal mercenary, prior to becoming an enigmatic science experiment who explicitly threw away his past identity.

Why not? Just write him better obviously, I would like that if there's an opportunity, but no one can say that he is worse than the zeti or those generic monsters.

• Fist Bump 1

As a main villain? Absolutely not.

As a small fry villain? Heck yeah.

Infinite was such a lame character, that making him Eggman's minion or just a mercenary leader would give him a chance of "redemption", take away the powers of that trash plot device that was the Phantom Ruby. I would be totally down for another a chance to the Jackal Squad. I think they would make awesome small fry villains if done right. A nice change of pace from Eggman's robots.

latest?cb=20171111100227&path-prefix=pl

• Thumbs Up 4

No, there's nothing to bring back. He's literally a caricature of every generic "grimdark" villain ever. If you want to modify him to be "written better", you'd have to make changes that would deviate from what everyone already thinks of him so much you may as well make a new villain that at least would start off life without a tarnished reputation. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

For the lo e of all that's holy keep the deadly six away from the series at all cost going forward. Unless they are placed in mania as wacky as it is. Wacky and modern need to stop mixing

• Thumbs Up 1