Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

26 minutes ago, Tenko said:

So..if Encore Mode is a remix or continuation of sorts with Mighty & Ray, do you think it might be like Knuckles in Sonic 3K, their story is after the main Mania Mode? Could they potentially finish off the HBH's since they didn't seem to get destroyed over the course of the main game? Or do you think the HBH's will be saved for a potential sequel?

I'm also curious about this.

If Angel Island is still the starting point for the Adventure, how will Mighty and Ray get there?

Will their Zone progression be the same as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles?

latest?cb=20170123165136

Also, it seems their Classic Redesigns were decided awhile ago.  

• Thumbs Up 4

32 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I'm also curious about this.

If Angel Island is still the starting point for the Adventure, how will Mighty and Ray get there?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Mighty & Ray both inhabitants of Angel Island? I'm also wondering how their adventure would start, I doubt they would just sub them in using Knuckles intro.

It would be cool to see a new portion added to the animated intro, even if it just shows them briefly somewhere, at the end maybe along with the still action images of the original three? I doubt that's on the cards, even replacing the almost still shot ending with a proper fully animated scene doesnt seem likely for a reasonably cheap DLC, tho I guess we did get surprised before with the opening and all. Filling in the blank transition scenes would still be top priority in my books as far as extras go.

Just now, StaticMania said:

They already were, dude. Have you seen the way she grinds down rails in Advance 1?

I played that game and still doing so, I was saying how much her cuteness will help her in Mania for when they add it.  

Another look at the Amy argument, this time focusing on the demographics instead of gameplay:

I think it's important to mention that Amy is a relatively blank slate for gameplay in a game. While Advance 1 and Adventure 1 gave her a very unique moveset, in Advance 2 and Heroes she was a mostly just reskin of Sonic. She never appeared as a playable character in a standard Classic game though, and that's the important thing. While we know she has a hammer and needed rescuing in CD, that's the extent of it. The team could do anything they wanted with Amy, with absolutely no prerequisite that they stick closely to the way she appeared in Adventure 1 or any of the games that followed. I believe that one of the enduring messages around the time of Mania's announcement in 2016 and indeed more as well with Mighty and Ray is that one of the few limitations in place is that the game can only use Classic material.

I'm still stoked to see these two characters return, but the response to them has definitely made me think that it's a bit of a mistake to do include them over Amy. As main draw of the Plus expansion, they're definitely very niche. Amy on the other hand was the subject of a lot of discussion when the game was first announced, has an existing fanbase and is a female character. As much as I don't like gender politics and feel that they often miss the mark when it comes to real issues, I can't say that Sonic games wouldn't benefit from a better inclusion of female characters. Mania does technically have Heavy Magician and Heavy Rider, but they're both non-playable villains and not obviously female.

Whatever interesting gameplay mechanics the team can come up with for Mighty and Ray could also have been considered for Amy as well. They definitely wanted to focus on bringing back the forgotten characters, and I can't argue with that; Mania is all about reworking old ideas into something new. Amy could have been a part of it though.

This entire announcement was pretty botched. They should have given us some glimpse of Mighty and Ray's gameplay, to give us something to latch on to. Encore mode too, because the details there were so vague. And on a related note, SEGA should have been more clear about the pricing of the DLC. I've seen far too many outlets report that it's a free update, and almost none that it's going to be paid. 

I can't wait for Mania Plus, but ouch. They did kinda drop the ball when it came to introducing it.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't know what the team behind Sonic Mania was thinking by leaving Amy out its on the levels of leaving Knuckles out of the game. 

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Mighty & Ray both inhabitants of Angel Island? I'm also wondering how their adventure would start, I doubt they would just sub them in using Knuckles intro.

Their homes aren't confirmed in the Games.

Although, the Japanese Manual for Knuckles Chaotix tells us that Mighty loves to travel and one of the dreams on his bucket list is visiting every place in the world...

21 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

...Mighty loves to travel and one of the dreams on his bucket list is visiting every place in the world...

Seems that Mighty is more like Sonic than just being a mere palette swap...

As someone who's not really a Classic fan, from the outside looking in, despite not really caring about or liking Mighty and Ray, I find their inclusion to be something that I could see being easier to implement and making more sense than the Classic version of Amy. If it's following the old aesthetic, than she really doesn't have much to latch onto there. That said, if they're moving forward with this Mania sub-series thing than it could be one of the many opportunities they have down the line to expand it and make it grow into something that reached beyond what the Classics had a chance to achieve before the Modern Era hit. 

As in, it's working with what it's got now and as time goes on it'll allow itself to grow and get better by actually finding ways to reinvent what Classic Amy is all about. You know, yet another thing that the Modern games will continue to refuse to do.

Yeah, this year's panel really lacked gameplay, I mean, they could have shown a trailer for Mighty, Ray and Encore Mode, 4P mode or a glimpse at the racing game like they did with Forces. At least it shouldn't take a long time to have a new video.

Anyway, considering the details Iizuka announced, I'm really thinking Encore Mode is like Sonic Megamix mode + Hard Mode combined. That would be exciting so I'm hoping it's the case. But yes, they seriously need to include the missing cutscenes, and a different campaign for Mighty and Ray would be more than welcome.

1 hour ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Yeah, this year's panel really lacked gameplay, I mean, they could have shown a trailer for Mighty, Ray and Encore Mode, 4P mode or a glimpse at the racing game like they did with Forces. At least it shouldn't take a long time to have a new video.

Anyway, considering the details Iizuka announced, I'm really thinking Encore Mode is like Sonic Megamix mode + Hard Mode combined. That would be exciting so I'm hoping it's the case. But yes, they seriously need to include the missing cutscenes, and a different campaign for Mighty and Ray would be more than welcome.

I'm sure they will eventually. I'm kinda glad they didn't have many gameplay clips this time. It opens everything up to many questions, and it's just getting me excited. Yes, such as Mighty and Ray's gameplay and what it looks like, but also, what levels are there gonna be, what bosses will we be facing this time, perhaps since we're getting Might and Ray we'll also be getting Bark, Bean, and Fang in their true forms and not just a robot. What if, and I doubt it, but what if Freedom Fighters is involved (Sally, Antoine, Rotor). They probably won't be but you can't help but wonder things along those lines, right?

Oh! The suspense!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Seems that Mighty is more like Sonic than just being a mere palette swap...

However, the manual and other sources describe Mighty as a Martial Pacifist.

We've seen this version of him in the Pre-Reboot in the Archie Comics.

However, he's the complete opposite in the Fleetway Comics.

There was kind of a mix of both personalities in the Archie Post Reboot where Mighty did training to control his anger...

Not much to say about Ray though...

8 hours ago, Tenko said:

So..if Encore Mode is a remix or continuation of sorts with Mighty & Ray, do you think it might be like Knuckles in Sonic 3K, their story is after the main Mania Mode? Could they potentially finish off the HBH's since they didn't seem to get destroyed over the course of the main game? Or do you think the HBH's will be saved for a potential sequel?

Also as someone on Twitter mentioned earlier today...Is this now cannon? :P

IMG_20180319_161410.thumb.jpg.dc4374e95fd95405b1567178208ee7ef.jpg

I hope the heavies get saved for a sequel. Or they'll probably make more.

And Ray confirmed for a bossfight in hidden palace zone. XD

The thing with the heavies is that the phantom ruby transformed those regular Egg Robo badniks, now without that I don't know if they can still be Hard Boiled Heavies. I hope so because they look really nice.

46 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

The thing with the heavies is that the phantom ruby transformed those regular Egg Robo badniks, now without that I don't know if they can still be Hard Boiled Heavies. I hope so because they look really nice.

They could easily come up with a reason for their return, though, ie: Eggman liked what he saw from the Ruby, so modified some Egg Robos to replace them. Metal Sonic's rebuilt for nearly every appearance and they can be too; perhaps with different weapons/abilities each time to match their personalities.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it would be a little unnatural to see the Hard-Boiled Heavies again, but a new group of Heavies modelled after the illusions would be a bit of a different matter, if perhaps derivative.  Quite frankly, I'd be interested in seeing a Heavy-type unit derived from the Egg Pawns (chess-themed?  Egg Knight, Bishop, etc.?) in a Modern game, but small steps.  If Sonic Team weren't too set in their ways to allow Metal Sonic variants, it would be refreshing to see him show up with new attachments, perhaps modular elements that can be swapped between battles, and so on; Eggman is far too fond of Metal Sonic considering its record of failure (and betrayal).

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

32 minutes ago, Pawn said:

They could easily come up with a reason for their return, though, ie: Eggman liked what he saw from the Ruby, so modified some Egg Robos to replace them. Metal Sonic's rebuilt for nearly every appearance and they can be too; perhaps with different weapons/abilities each time to match their personalities.

Well, none of them were attached to the Ruby, nothing says they can't still have its effects on them even if it isn't around anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Tenko said:

Also as someone on Twitter mentioned earlier today...Is this now cannon? :P

IMG_20180319_161410.thumb.jpg.dc4374e95fd95405b1567178208ee7ef.jpg

That was never cannon. That was ray trying to buy time by faking it.

So should I buy the console version to get that art book even though I don't own any console?

5 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

So should I buy the console version to get that art book even though I don't own any console?

That's what I'm doing.

I'm also an unstable wreck of a Sonic fan, so I might not be the best example to follow.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Sonic Mania Plus European Factsheet has just been sent out. It confirms that Mighty and Ray aren't reskins, and that another studio called "Hyperkinetic Studios" is contributing towards the game in one way or another. European release date is still Summer 2018, but no price point is given.

Poster with European variant Mega Drive boxart:

Reveal hidden contents

SMP_MULTI_ARRAY_EN_V5_1521045541.png

Fact Sheet:

Reveal hidden contents

Sonic Mania Plus™
Publisher Name: SEGA
Developer Name: Hyperkinetic Studios, Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest Games in conjunction with Sonic Team
Genre: Platformer, Action
Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam
Number of Players: 1-4 players
Global Release: Summer 2018 

Game Overview: 
Sonic Mania Plus is the definitive retail enhanced version of the original Sonic Mania’s digital release, presented in a pristine collectable physical release.  Building off its momentum and critical acclaim as one of the best platform games of 2017, the nostalgic pixel-perfect visuals and fresh gameplay will deliver a classic experience to gamers across the world!  See why Sonic Mania was declared as the “Best Sonic game ever!” by Gamespot, and a blazing example of why Sonic the Hedgehog continues to break barriers over the course of 25+ years as one of gaming’s most iconic characters of all time!

Key Features:
A true, classic Sonic experience: Gorgeous pixel graphics featuring a variety of new Zones with iconic favorites from Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic The Hedgehog CD  
Definitive version: Pixel-perfect HD visuals, 60 FPS gameplay and all new content in one package! Join Sonic and his friends as they face off against Dr Eggman and his new robo-henchmen the Hard Boiled Heavies!
New playable characters join the fun with Sonic: Seen in past Sonic titles, Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel join the Mania each with their own unique abilities!
All-new Encore mode: A new mode that adds a fresh look to familiar locations while challenging new and veteran players alike
New and improved features including Competition mode

The emphasis on the game being released to "gamers across the world" and Summer 2018 being touted as a "global release" intrigues me. I wonder if that means Mania Plus will also get a physical release in Japan? Granted, Sonic historically has been a footnote in terms of popularity; and the few people there who do like Sonic seem to prefer the modern half of the series more than the classic half (case in point: Forces, despite otherwise tanking in Japan like Sonic games usually do, still the best opening week for a Sonic game in the region in years). But Mania arguably did quite better in that region than what you'd normally expect (the game ranked as Japan's #17 most-recommended Switch game in a Nintendo-published survey, and was overall the #22 most-downloaded eShop exclusive Switch game in Japan for 2017. Sega (of Japan)/Sonic Channel also the first to promote Mania with physical materials (outside the Collector's Edition); such as the billboards in local malls and Sonic-themed trains/cafes as well as merchandise such as the neckerchief and hoodie.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

The logo's looking really slick:

Sonic-Mania-Plus-Logo.png

I'm really glad I held off on buying Mania although I really want the PC version for mods but that won't come with a physical package with the art book. I hope that they'll give out the art digitally on the PC but I don't think that will be the case.

I am wondering what will become of vanilla Mania after Plus releases. Maybe it will get relegated to the same status as Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are as seperate games.

I also know this is not happening but I want this to be Mighty's victory animation:

Segasonic-Unused-mightyswole.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

That's what I'm doing.

I'm also an unstable wreck of a Sonic fan, so I might not be the best example to follow.

Same. I really need that physical edition, and maybe I could buy a Switch? So that's my plan.

• Thumbs Up 1