Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

I would love if a modern character became a classic character. I think the one who has most chances with that is Blaze.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

I would love if a modern character became a classic character. I think the one who has most chances with that is Blaze.

Interesting. If I may ask, why do you think as much? Is it because Blaze originally appeared in a 2D game?

I'm pretty certain you're never going to see modern characters (or characters classed as just modern) in the classic style games. Mania's basically acting as a sandbox outside the scope of Sonic Team, it's not like the team has free reign to do whatever it wants with any part of the Sonic franchise. 

What about the Chaotix? Would they stay modern because Sega wants to ignore and uncanonize Knuckles' Chaotix? They could always take Vector as his original concept, and include him in Sonic's band. But yeah together and as detectives they fit the modern franchise more. But I would definitely welcome more original characters in the classic branch, since it's really becoming what Boom was meant to be.

Oh man speaking of getting more characters in this, I wish they’d include the classic Chaotix in Mania. Seriously I’d pay good money to get my classic, twirling, wall clinging, color changing Espio back. 

ezgif-2-dcc60130a1.gif

Good money.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would take team Chaotix (Charmy excluded) over any other character. I still think Ray is kinda dumb and bland while Mighty is cool, Vector and Espio would be tight. 

Nah, Espio and Vector would make the cast way too bloated already. They can wait till Mania 4, Amy and Honey come first. :rolleyes:

I'm personally more interested in redesigned levels, but I'm glad people who buy it physically don't have to re play everything again... not that it would be a bad thing.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Maniac said:

"Optimized level of difficulty of bosses".

Really hoping this means they've fixed the unfair boss fights. About a quarter of the bosses in Mania aren't fair fights (such as LR act1 and PG act2). Boss fights should be tough, yes, but also fair (i.e with skill you should be able to defeat them every-time without taking damage).

• Thumbs Up 3

On 24/03/2018 at 9:12 PM, Sonikko said:

So I just bought Mania for the third time, retail PS4. I'll get the digital upgrade on Steam when it comes out.

I officially spent 160€ on Mania so far. Not sure if proud of it or if I feel really dumb lol.

Nah , not dumb. I have it for PS4 and Xbox One AND the collectors edition. I'll be getting the physical version too. The game is simply THAT good. As @Indigo Rushsaid there is no  substitute for passion, which in turn breeds amazing results.

Legit question, if there's a Classic Universe and a Modern Universe now. Then..was Modern Sonic's first adventure timeline wise Sonic 4 and not Sonic Adventure? Cause Mania seems to have wiped Sonic 4 from the Classic Universe cannon, and he was in Modern Universe style, what with the whole "green eyes" uproar that went on.

I'm curious as to which side Sonic 4 fits now and where...

I'm pretty sure the classic games happend in the Modern Universe but not exactly the same.

Sonic meets Amy and Metal Sonic (Sonic CD)

Sonic meets Tails (Sonic 2)

Sonic meets Knuckles (Sonic 3K)

Sonic fights Chaos (Adventure) or the Hard Boiled Heavies (Mania).

... Sonic 4 can happen in any placment, it has no importance at all. Doesn't even need to exist.

Any kind of serious long-term continuity is pretty well fucked at this point, but Forces has Chaos, which implies SA happened, and SA references 2, CD, and 3&K, so I'd say we can assume the classic games are still part of the modern dimension in some form.

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Any kind of serious long-term continuity is pretty well fucked at this point, but Forces has Chaos, which implies SA happened, and SA references 2, CD, and 3&K, so I'd say we can assume the classic games are still part of the modern dimension in some form.

My band-aid on the situation is adding a timeline split when Classic Sonic returns to his time period after Generations. I assume Sonic 4 to be the next game after 3&K in the regular timeline, with Mania happening after 3&K in the post-Generations timeline. 

It doesn't really resolve that much, and I'm sure Sega will find a way to make it even more unlikely, but that's what I'm going with for now.

• Thumbs Up 9

40 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not to mention Forces has Green Hill, Chemical Plant, the Death Egg..

36 minutes ago, Razule said:

Not to mention Forces has Green Hill, Chemical Plant, the Death Egg..

Oh, and Zavok. Also, the Death Egg’s prescence in the modern day seems to indicate 4 is canon. 

19 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Oh, and Zavok. Also, the Death Egg’s prescence in the modern day seems to indicate 4 is canon. 

Those Forces tie-in comics are canon to the game, right? Knuckles not being surprised to see Chaos out and about at the beginning of "Stress Test" makes Sonic Battle canon.

c4kaj7v.png

Yeah, Sonic Adventure referenced various things from the Classics such as Sonic and Tails meeting, Sonic saving Amy from Metal, and basically everything about Knuckles from Sonic 3 is re-established. Everything happened, but with one particular change: it happened with modern designs, I think.

• Thumbs Up 2

So do you think Mania Plus will add the missing transitions and/or more cutscenes for Knuckles' story and possibly Mighty & Ray? I sure hope so.

44 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

So do you think Mania Plus will add the missing transitions and/or more cutscenes for Knuckles' story and possibly Mighty & Ray? I sure hope so.

Not for nothing but they kiiinda have to? If they wanna make Mania Plus the full experience, they BETTER add some transitions and cutscenes to Mighty and Ray. lol

I'm hoping they add some of the missing cutscenes but I'm not holding my breath. It hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

The missing transitions were one of the biggest gripes about the game, mentioned in most of the reviews and YouTube playthroughs, the fans keep bringing it up, to the creators and Sega. So they know alright, if they don't fix it, I think that would be more shocking than if they did at this point. 

Sega may not have wanted to green light a patch or fix with refinements when the game was stable and pretty much complete as far as the general oublic knew. But this retail updated version gives them the opportunity to fix all those little nagging issues as well as add the extra content they have been contracted to do. They don't seem like the kind of team that would pass up this opportunity, especially since they will likely be working on transitions for Ray & Mighty anyway.

• Thumbs Up 9

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

The missing transitions were one of the biggest gripes about the game, mentioned in most of the reviews and YouTube playthroughs, the fans keep bringing it up, to the creators and Sega. So they know alright, if they don't fix it, I think that would be more shocking than if they did at this point. 

Sega may not have wanted to green light a patch or fix with refinements when the game was stable and pretty much complete as far as the general oublic knew. But this retail updated version gives them the opportunity to fix all those little nagging issues as well as add the extra content they have been contracted to do. They don't seem like the kind of team that would pass up this opportunity, especially since they will likely be working on transitions for Ray & Mighty anyway.

Not only that, but because of the new characters which'll be added into the game, they need to revist the cutscenes anyway in order to animate their movements and reactions throughout the older ones. If they're going to revisit old ones, couldn't they just make new ones for the levels without cutscenes already? It's really my old really big gripe with the game.

Some zones are easy to think about a transition, but others like Hydrocity to Mirage Saloon... yeah, how the fuck did Sonic and Tails grabbed the Tornado AND pick up Knuckles like that from the "hole" they were at the end of HCZ? 

Flying Battery to Press Garden would be pretty cool if it was like this: after defeating the boss and opening the animal capsule, the whole place quickly starts to loose altitude, basically: IT STARTS TO FALL. Sonic jumps off and Tails grabs him. Both land safe and sound in Press Garden exactly like the beginning of Carnival Night in Sonic 3. They're probably gonna have to add a little outdoor area to the beginning of  PGZ, kinda like an entrance to the factory. This outdoor area could be snowy like Act 2, which basically means Sonic went in AND out the place before moving on.

I imagined Flying Battery finally crashed into Press Garden. You do damage to a couple of the propeller units on the way to the boss after all.

Picking up the Tornado after Hydrocity makes sense since they are back on Angel Island again, but yeah, unless Tails parked near where Angel Island Zone turns into Hydrocity it seems a bit out of reach. As for Knuckles, I believe he is meant to be traveling with them for the course of the game, even if he's not shown much, pretty sure someone in a panel or Q&A or something mentioned the events happen at the same time for everyone.

With Little Planet chained to Lava Reef and the volcano area, the transition between Stardust Speedway and Hydrocity would be a weird one to explain. I imagine Oil Ocean to Lava Reef would be following the pipes, or using them to get there. Lava Reef to Metallic Madness would be easy if the big chains were re-implemented back into the Heavy boss fight. Just use said chains to reach Little Planet ala Sonic CD intro.

I do think Metallic Madness to Titanic Monarch really needs a decent cutscene tho. Coming across the construction of that ginormous Death Egg looking robot seems an important event and heading towards the climax of the game. In game assets would be fine, but even a really short couple second animated one would really drive the point across. Sonic (and crew so you don't need a different one for each character) coming across it, looking up at it towering above and then heading inside a look of resolve on their faces.

Wish list I know, since they likely don't have that much resources and time, but tweak the ending too, it really stands out when it's not animated like the opening but is obviously trying to be similar enough to pass. After the beautiful and fluid opening, the ending being soft animated stills while nicely designed is still a bit of a letdown after the work the player puts in to save the day. Even CD had a fully animated ending as well and that was in what '93?

• Thumbs Up 1