Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

Nice set of updates. I'm especially glad that there's now an option to disable the time limit - it adds absolutely nothing to the game except limiting your ability to explore. For longer levels like FBZ2 and TMZ, it's a real nuisance.

I'm a little disappointed to see that "& Knuckles" is the only partner option available still. I'd like to be able to choose any partner for any character. Some people have said they was to see an option for three or more characters at once, which is think is messy and don't particularly like even in the famous S2 Heroes mood. Can't think of any reason why the co-op character needs to be limited though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

WHAAAT??? I always though that phase 3 of Metal Sonic's boss fight was kinda weird and even bad, but this sounds awesome! Also, new transitions? Oh boy! 

I think Mania Plus will come sooner than we expected :) June maybe?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, The Loudest Loud said:

GUYSSS!!! Take my word on it for now but the metal Sonic fight has had it's 3rd phase completely reworked! Eggman throws him the phantom ruby and he turns into what seems to me to be a blue version of the final Chaotix fight!

I'm doing a full playthrough right now. Will let you guys know if I find any other changes.

Spoiler

Awful quality I appreciate (I'll let Ocelot handle the HQ video) but here ya go! The fight ends with Eggman zapping you with the Ruby again. There's also a hologram in the background of what looks to be the Titanic Monarch robot seen in the ending

Hey guys, any big spoilers like changes to levels, bosses and zone transitions are spoilers. Please tag them.

• Thumbs Up 1

How dare you spoil this 

I get a second chance to go into this blind and y'all had to ruin it 

Actually mad right now 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Hey guys, any big spoilers like changes to levels, bosses and zone transitions are spoilers. Please tag them.

Yep that's my bad getting in my head this was an untagged topic, my bad dudes!

They made the third special stage harder. The UFO now takes the short-cut route everytime...

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...but that's not what's happening. The hammer isn't "from" the modern era, it was introduced in Fighters. It wasn't a major or essential part of her character in the classics, but nothing you could use as a game mechanic was, because she was only playable in a couple of spinoffs and she wasn't even much of an active character otherwise. People associate classic Amy with using a hammer because it's one of the most memorable things that classic Amy did.

I must just be peculiar because I never associate the hammer with Classic Amy even when watching playthroughs of Fighters as it only comes out once in a while and feels more like a prop than a part of her character. To me that just isn't a memorable thing to do. If anything I can argue about how unmemorable she is if her swinging a hammer for like one or two attacks is the most memorable thing she did. It's a difficult argument for me to make though as I was always aware of most of the games she showed up in and she left a strong impression on me since she appeared in Sonic CD back when it debuted. As for the 'modern era' comment I was referring to gameplay use of the hammer being from Adventure onward (though it really is just Adv.1 that most people seem to reference). 

On the topic of game updates some of this stuff is sounding crazy and I like the idea of the change in SS boss fight as it takes an opportunity to celebrate a little celebrated game in a unique way. On the other hand, this topic may start becoming to spoiler happy before long and I'll have to bail until Plus releases XD.

4 minutes ago, The Loudest Loud said:

Reveal hidden contents

Awful quality I appreciate (I'll let Ocelot handle the HQ video) but here ya go! The fight ends with Eggman zapping you with the Ruby again. There's also a hologram in the background of what looks to be the Titanic Monarch robot seen in the ending

Now that's more like! I never understood, let alone like it, the spiky wall that they came up with...

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

How dare you spoil this 

I get a second chance to go into this blind and y'all had to ruin it 

Actually mad right now 

Would you feel better if I pay you a sundae? 

Wait, didn't you spoiled the whole game before release anyways?! I remember you being there during the leaked Switch stream Indigo my boy!

Spoiler

Can confirm the Metal Sonic changes. They also added a few more Zone transitions, but not all. I think the Update was really uploaded by mistake.

1 minute ago, FReaK said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Can confirm the Metal Sonic changes. They also added a few more Zone transitions, but not all. I think the Update was really uploaded by mistake.

Spoiler

I hope so to and that it was just a test to make sure the code can be patched in. It'd be disappointing not to have stage transitions for all of the zones even after they had the opportunity to add them in. 

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

Reveal hidden contents

Now that's more like! I never understood, let alone like it, the spiky wall that they came up with...

Would you feel better if I pay you a sundae? 

Wait, didn't you spoiled the whole game before release anyways?! I remember you being there during the leaked Switch stream Indigo my boy!

To be fair, at least with a stream of an unreleased game you know full well what you're getting going in. People that don't know about this accidental update who go into this topic or on twitter could and will be hit with numerous spoilers. The menu images I feel are fine since they don't really reveal anything but the others stuff is a bit much.

I took down my tweet of the gameplay video out of respect for the devs putting all the effort into this. If I hadn't found this somebody else was going to within the hour so it won't change anything but it's a principle of respect really. Feel a bit bad for it to be honest.

• Nice Smile 2

Sonic Paradise thinks the release of the Plus DLC is close, but it's currently unconfirmed.

Yo SSMB.

I have a PS4 version right here and ready to test any leakings, how do I update Mania as it won't let me via the console app.

Dammit, they pulled the update.

....OH SHIT!

PS4 users... do these leaks work via shareplay!? Meaning you if you have the update version, others can play/see if you use the shareplay option.

Just now, Mayor D said:

Yo SSMB.

I have a PS4 version right here and ready to test any leakings, how do I update Mania as it won't let me via the console app.

Mine's was an automatic update when I booted the system up to play Mania (before I even knew what had happened). If you aren't able to updated it via pressing the options button and doing a "check update" then I expect they've pulled the update. Well, that's my guess anyway. I'm not sure if that's something they're able to since I know nothing about software updates.

1 hour ago, The Loudest Loud said:

Mine's was an automatic update when I booted the system up to play Mania (before I even knew what had happened). If you aren't able to updated it via pressing the options button and doing a "check update" then I expect they've pulled the update. Well, that's my guess anyway. I'm not sure if that's something they're able to since I know nothing about software updates.

Yeah not working for me.

Must have literally just pulled it before I logged on.

But if anyone has this game on their PS4 and has auto updates turned on and was using their PS4, they have the new build of the game. 

There is no way they will be able to damage control this like the last time the game leaked.

14 minutes ago, The Loudest Loud said:

Can confirm this is the case - just checked and I've got no update. Although it's weird considering I've had my PS4 in rest mode today, it should've downloaded it.

That said, I have another theory as to what happened. Because I have my doubts they leaked an patched build early. The reason being that - as many publishers and developers have made it known and unless things have changed in recent times, Sony has a bunch of guidelines for patches. As in it costs money to release a patch IIRC and on top of that, it needs to be approved by Sony themselves before release, this is why a few Overwatch patches were delayed and why Overwatch in particular had an issue where Bastion was broken with a reworked ability and it got fixed within two days on PC but took about a month on PS4/Xbox One. The approval process and the monetary cost for patch releases usually mean these patches have to be scheduled.

Which leaves me to believe with other evidence like the mention of Mania's DLC listing on Steam that it's possible the actual patch is meant to release very soon, and was sent in for approval on the console platforms to get it scheduled and ready for co-current release with the PC patch which can be released at any point. However, since the patched build as mentioned here was buggy with a few stage transitions among over things - it's possible Sony received an early patch build as opposed to the final build and released it prematurely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just recorded the new added zone transition from FB to Press Garden. Here you go:

Spoiler

I love the Sonic 2 8-bit Sky High reference!

I love it!

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

Tails has a new animation at the start of Chemical Plant!!!

It's not the full original cut animation, but it's still different. Here you go:

Also, you can now skip cutscenes.

• Thumbs Up 8

The update was pulled?? You luck boys hahaha Hopefully this patch will be out for everyone soon. Mania Plus' content is at most Ray, Might and the Encore Mode. But the Metal Sonic change is quite substancial tho'. Dunno what happened there.

Anyways! When?!

40 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Just recorded the new added zone transition from FB to Press Garden. Here you go:

I love it!

Reveal hidden contents

I love the Sonic 2 8-bit Sky High reference!

Decided to treat myself to this as the "one thing" I'll watch out of hype-fueled curiosity (I wouldn't do this were it not an update to the game I've already played, the anti-spoiler nut I usually am).

I am ALL about more Sonic 2 8-bit references YES I am so happy lol.  They even use the spring animation just turned on it's side, just like they did on the Sky High Zone title card artwork!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Spoiler

N E W S T A G E T R A N S I T I O N S

YES

It's the main and only thing I needed. Thank you so much. The fact that the first half had stage transitions and the later half randomly didn't was awkward as fuck. It's all I wanted.