Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

6 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

A million for a game of his nature in THIS day in age.is very impressive.

Cuphead sold 1 million in its first two weeks. It sold 2 million by December. I'm just disappointed Mania did worse.

• Thumbs Up 3

If both Mania and Forces sold about the same amount, then yeah I am a bit disappointed. Guess the DeviantArt pandering worked wonders for Sega, but let's not get too off topic. :P

10 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Cuphead sold 1 million in its first two weeks. It sold 2 million by December. I'm just disappointed Mania did worse.

In some fairness to Cuphead, that was a new IP that wasn't coming off the back of (and was subsequently followed by) some mediocre-to-seriously lousy games. Mania was following games like Lost World and the Boom games, and was succeeded by Forces.

I do understand and agree with the disappointment though. I'm glad we finally got sales numbers to work with, but with the great reception it got, the Sega report of it doubling the amount of packaged games they sold that quarter compared to last year, and becoming an Nintendo Switch eShop best-seller...I was hoping for something more than this. At least two million were my personal hopes.

But on the other hand, I think I even called it a while back prior to the game's release, that the game would do modest numbers, rather than do gangbusters; precisely due to the digital-exclusive release (and to a lesser extent, the retraux presentation); the notorious delay of the PC version also couldn't had helped. And while there are other digital-exclusive games that have performed better (i.e. the aforementioned Cuphead), Mania to sell that much in less than a year as with hardly--if any--price cuts is still pretty good.

I guess the least I can say about is that it was announced to have passed one million downloads faster than Sonic 4: Epi. I did (eight months vs. one full year) and outsold Lost World and the Boom games (though that's not too hard to do at all). We also actually have a hard sales number source for Mania to go off of compared to Forces for that matter (which are being reported to be estimates).

I really hope the game gets a significant boost in sales with the retail release of Mania Plus, but I'm worried Sega releasing it months after the vanilla release and the competition it might square off against may hinder its potential.

• Thumbs Up 3

In the pre-order trailer we see Sonic, Tails and Knuckles get in the lift. Do you think we'll see a new bit of animation with the lift door closing, only for Mighty and Ray to turn up too?

Probably not, me being overly excited by that little picture.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, silvereye27 said:

In the pre-order trailer we see Sonic, Tails and Knuckles get in the lift. Do you think we'll see a new bit of animation with the lift door closing, only for Mighty and Ray to turn up too?

Probably not, me being overly excited by that little picture.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Yeah, I thought we'd get something about Plus after Famitsu posted some info on it. But that also means that we're getting a release date tomorrow, which is nice.

I won't say a specific day, but I feel like it's gonna be a June release. July at worst.

I'm expecting a new animated cutscene in Plus, either something related to Encore Mode, an updated opening with Mighty and Ray, or an ending cutscene with the Titanic Monarch falling down.

Sonic all like, is that you guys, hold the lift, Mighty & Ray are coming. Would be funny seeing them all try to cram in there. If they are expanding or changing the intro I would love to see the pencil sketch part from the trailer added to the start too. Do it!

Waiting another week for Mania Adventures next episode is going to be painful after seeing Plus's trailer tomorrow!

1 hour ago, TheOcelot said:

Sonic's reaction; "WTF, Ray, Mighty what're you guys doing here?! Care to tag along? We're gonna take down Eggman!"

DbkP5HQV4AA73ek.jpg

Can't wait!

More like,

uLYwqr7.png?1

• Chuckle 4

4 minutes ago, superman43 said:

What if Encore mode is the substitution for Sonic 3 remaster ? Hmmm...

Eh, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. They did say that Encore "offers new ways to explore each of the game’s acts and will come with some unspecified visual changes". This doesn't indicate that there will be any new zones.

10 minutes ago, superman43 said:

What if Encore mode is the substitution for Sonic 3 remaster ? Hmmm...

I thought that's what Mania was.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I thought that's what Mania was.

Eh, not really. I wonder whether we will have an indication of where Press Garden is in Encore Mode. The 4-player competition mode looks more or less like Mirage Saloon at night or maybe I just trust the others who see that.

37 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Eh, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. They did say that Encore "offers new ways to explore each of the game’s acts and will come with some unspecified visual changes". This doesn't indicate that there will be any new zones.

Very true, but..

Spoiler

It already looks like Angel Island will be playable to some degree. As pointed out it has the life counter and score showing in the Famitsu scans so it isn't just a cutscene like the start of Mania which don't have any HUD items until the game starts proper in Green Hill. 

• Fist Bump 3
  • Absolutely 1

24 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Very true, but it already looks like Angel Island will be playable to some degree. As pointed out it has the life counter and score showing in the Famitsu scans so it isn't just a cutscene like the start of Mania which don't have any HUD items until the game starts proper in Green Hill. 

Even if it only turns out to be half an act it would still be a cool edition, but a fully playable AI where it's vegetation has recovered - after Eggman bombed it to hell in Sonic 3 - would look amazing.

One of the screenshots also shows another location in AI, I think where Knuckles first started in Mania? So it looks like there's going be quite a bit of meat to AI.

If Team Mania (amongst all the other changes) have included a complete additional zone (so we would have 13 in total for Encore Mode), then no wonder they needed HyperKinetic Studios to help with development. 

1 minute ago, TheOcelot said:

Even if it only turns out to be half an act it would still be a cool edition, but a fully playable AI where it's vegetation has recovered after Eggman bombed it to hell in Sonic 3 would look amazing.

One of the screenshots also shows another location in AI, I think where Knuckles first started in Mania? So it looks like there's gonna be quite a bit of meat to AI.

If Team Mania (amongst all the other changes) have included a full additional zone (so we get 13 in total for Encore Mode), then no wonder they needed HyperKinetic Studios to help with development. 

Like seriously ? I believe there are some, but definitely not all. But I wonder... they might do like reverse Mania mode of some kind... it will start with Angel Island and end with hm... sunset Green Hill and Scrap Brain. I still believe those Scrap Brain leftovers were not in Mania just for the sake of leftovers !

8 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Even if it only turns out to be half an act it would still be a cool edition, but a fully playable AI where it's vegetation has recovered after Eggman bombed it to hell in Sonic 3 would look amazing.

One of the screenshots also shows another location in AI, I think where Knuckles first started in Mania? So it looks like there's gonna be quite a bit of meat to AI.

If Team Mania (amongst all the other changes) have included a full additional zone (so we get 13 in total for Encore Mode), then no wonder they needed HyperKinetic Studios to help with development. 

Retro peeps were trying to translate the blurry image from Famitsu and mentioned that it sounded like..

Spoiler

Ray had an ability called "Air Glide", and Mighty had one called "Hammer Drop". The latter is interesting as there were those pics from the update leak showing sections in Lava Reef with breakable rock in a downward pattern. I'm thinking this "Hammer Drop" sends Mighty downward with the speed to break objects under him, opening these new routes. So it's all coming together..

I decided to spoiler the zone thing above in case the Famitsu stuff is considered a leak or spoiler type info till the trailer tomorrow. Sorry anyone that may have seen it before I did!

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Not sure if this would be the place to post it but, according to Famitsu, Sonic Mania sold a million copies worldwide. 

Who is famitsu that they should have access to such information, when the company (in regards to both forces and mania) has been keeping it so close to the chest thus far and no one else has a clue? There have been people tracking these things since launch. I don't know what would make famitsu special unless they heard directly from someone at sega. Otherwise, their guess is no better than ours.

It seems really unlikely that forces and mania sold nearly the same amount, in any case. Mania has been out longer, peaked much higher, and had more staying power on the charts.

Famitsu is the prime gaming magazine in Japan. SEGA, being primarily Japanese at this point, is far more likely to give sales figures to them than the average sales tracker. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I will buy Sonic Mania 3 more times if I have to, to show SEGA that this is the way to go with this franchise, or, at least, with this classic branch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does the one million sales figure indicate that Sega is in any way dissatisfied with Mania's performance?

Mania did well enough to have new content made for it. Mania did well enough to get a physical release. Mania did well enough to get a web series. The game is clearly performing either to Sega's expectations, or much more likely exceeding them.

If anyone's worried about us getting more Mania-esque content in the future, I wouldn't be. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just read that according to Famitsu Mania Plus will release on July 19th in Japan. So normally western audiences normally get it a little sooner , but I guess we’ll find out later Today :)