Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

Another great callback to a classic Sonic commercial:

The crew behind the setting for this commercial absolutely nailed the 90s aesthetic of the original room. The riffs on current gaming trends, while a bit on-the-nose, are totally welcome; especially since that FPS game looks all too well like those terrible early access games that show up on Steam in waves. And the last bit at the end--the 90s "SEGA!!!" scream by Hoshino himself, with that awkward zoom-in--was total perfection.

This is too good to be made just for online viewings; I hope Sega is able to sneak it on television airwaves somewhere, like they did with that one commercial for the Sonic social media advert that showed up on [adult swim].

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I'll put it here too in case anyone is interested. I'm streaming Mania Plus via Twich on my Playstation 4. TenkoTAiLS in a search sjould bring it up. There will obviously be spoilers tho. One of many now I'm sure :P

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Just a heads up

Well that's perfect timing, it releases at the exact time I need to leave for work.

No Plus till tomorrow for me. 😕

5 hours ago, molul said:

Am I seeing a mistake in the Mega Drive packaging? 

image.png.d48c0aa89d2e843cf899ecb659e14e1b.png

it's just you, the plastic on the lower R is making it look different for you.

So... I just checked my PS+ saved data for Mania. Which was 100% complete.

It's file size is just 3.15 MB.

Mania Plus creates a second save file as well as keeping the original file.

The mania plus save file is 67.11MB.

That's larger than my saves for Back Ops 3, The Surge, No Mans Sky, Dark Souls 3, MGSV and Bloodborne.

Why does Mania Plus need that much data for a save file?

2 hours ago, Tailikku said:

it's just you, the plastic on the lower R is making it look different for you.

Mmmm... not really sure about that. Two different pictures show a wrong R on the lateral Mega Drive logo 😕

image.png.a1309d06b6e6a7ca1f550def68ad048d.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Steam has updated as of like 20 minutes ago.

Oddly, you can't find Sonic Mania - Encore DLC from the in-game "DLC" button, nor from the Sonic Mania store page.

You have to search in the Steam search bar for Sonic Mania and one of the results will be the Encore DLC, which upon installation will link up to your Sonic Mania game.

So in short:

DONT: Try and get the DLC from in-game or the Sonic Mania store page (though this may update to work soon)

DO: Search Sonic Mania - Encore DLC in the Steam search bar.

Good luck everyone! Happy day!

• Nice Smile 1

I somehow skillfully dodged the first release of Mania, so I can't wait to play Mania Plus tomorrow (or tonight depending on how fast Prime ships)!

I got some stuff spoiled like old zones returning but the new zones are completely unknown territory for me.

I just cleared Encore mode for the first time. It was alright, the level changes and tag team mechanic are just enough to keep Mania fresh. Outside of overusing the color yellow for some reason, the palate changes were nice. With that being said, holy balls are the special stages hard. I only managed to get Emeralds, and I didn't get the second till Metallic Madness. With all due respect dev teams, I think you over did it with the difficulty there.

Well it does seem to justify the $5.00 more than any other DLC these days.

I mean its got some cool mechanics and I really enjoy playing Ray and Mighty, its not much but its pretty fun.

The DLC could be cheaper but at $5.00 its a nice add on

At least its not lootboxes and its a one time thing.

At some point in the future, I'm going to write up a major review on the whole Mania package now that Plus is out and I've been able to play it.

Man, I had so much fun with this.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2

I actually really like playing Mighty, I love how thew screen shakes and item boxes fly a tiny bit in the air when you pound the ground and nearby Badniks are taken out too

I rate Mania Plus a "I love Ray so much he's the best Sonic character to play as ever" out of 10.

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

I rate Mania Plus a "I love Ray so much he's the best Sonic character to play as ever" out of 10.

I dunno his glide leaves a lot to be desred

With enough gliding skills, you can fly at ridiculous speeds, can be used as a hover for platforms... To be honest people who say he sucks just need to train more. Even in small spaces his glide can be useful since you can spam it very easily. In my opinion he is the best playable Sonic character of all time.

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well I didnt say he sucks per se, just a different gliding mechanic than say Rouge or Knuckles

Is very different from those for sure.

Still, with a bit of practice you will almost never just do a normal jump.

Put me on the "Ray is awesome" train. I've begun to get a hang of him, and man is he fun! I suppose some adjustment and natural experimentation was required, but he is so liberating, and his aerial mobility is a proper delineation of one of Sonic's core gameplay pillars: momentum. Taking note of the environment around you and using that to facilitate mobility, but it doesn't come without risk. Genius. 

Even in more crowded spaces his glide still has some potent utility, allowing the player greater degrees of aerial control than would be afforded with, say, Sonic or Mighty, and gaining slightly more height, all while still maintaining good game-feel. It's just a matter of giving him some time and being willing to experiment.

• Promotion 1

It's very interesting to finally play as Mighty and Ray in a new Sonic game.

9 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Is very different from those for sure.

Still, with a bit of practice you will almost never just do a normal jump.

I loved Ray the second I learned to use his glide. Oddly, didn't take more than few tries and it felt right. He still is too tall.

I'm gonna be honest: I really don't like Ray's glide for multiplies reasons: inverted controls, the fact that you can still take damage, not use it to attack enemies.