Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

Always been a fan of the blue border for the European box art for the Mega-Drive games (which I believe started to replace the traditional Black-border around 1994):

Related image

Image result for sonic & knuckles blast european box art

Owning a physical copy of Mania with the reversible cover is gonna feel wonderfully nostalgic:

Speaking of which, pre-orders for the physical edition are supposed to go live today, at some point.

So, this could mean nothing, but, Amazon has the release date listed as August 28. A bit far out, but, I'm fine waiting if this does end up being the actual release date. I've been hoping that there would be a physical release for Sonic Mania, so I'm definitely going to pre-order this. I try not to double dip too much with games these days, but this is definitely an exception that I'm perfectly fine with.

SonicManiaPlusRelease.png

On 3/16/2018 at 5:03 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

This means nothing to me. I barely play Sonic Mania. In fact, I barely play Sonic games at all. Because the Chaos Emeralds are nearly impossible to get.

I only played through Sonic Forces because there were no shitty and nearly impossible special stages.

Not to take the bait, but I'd never 100%ed a 2D Sonic game and Mania was my first. It wasn't even that hard, since you can get all the Emeralds on the first level. 

Ah crap, I just remembered.. I never want to go through the hell of collecting all the emeralds again

Thank goodness for the DLC

Can't really see why people are disappointed with this. I would bet a hefty chunk of change that Mighty and Ray both have interesting new mechanics. Hell, I could see Ray playing almost like Cape Mario. Would be so fun to try to maintain air momentum with timing your arcs. We'll see, but color me excited. PRE-ORDERED on switch and PS4. (5 copies now.)

I wonder if Mighty and Ray will have their own story or if they're just sort of...there?

I'm looking forward to a physical release but the character choices are a bit odd. Who'd have thought Mighty and Ray would be playable in a mainline 2D Sonic game before Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Preordered both the Switch and PS4 versions.

..no, I don't own either console, why do you ask

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I don't have the budget for it right now, but I'll definitely pick up a copy sooner than later. Need me that shiny slipcover and artbook.

I don't even have a PS4, a XONE, nor a Switch, but i'll be sure to get one physical copy for me, the artbook is needed in my collection.

Soo..if people think the HBH's won't return for the eventual sequel, even tho none of them seemed to be destroyed. What about instead of bringing back old levels, how about an old set of enemies? The return of the Battle Bird Armada perhaps?

Edit : Sonic Mania just showed up on EB Games Australia page. Might show up on the NZ one later, or never if it's anything like Wonderboy in Monsterland.

Sorry for the terrible quality but the Australian cover seems to have a sticker..or ugly ass advertising thing on the game cover, advertising the art book and reversible cover..at least I hope it's a sticker. Hate unneeded stuff cluttering the artwork on covers. I still remember DBZ Boudokai on Gamecube *shudders*, it had what looked like an ad sticker...but it was printed on the cover itself.

236eb7c19ef2417e8fba39254c83fff6_Medium.png.e9cbc07269c5e5776d39fb0149f08dbf.png

It's looking real nice. I'll be using the reversible cover for sure. Proper nostalgic MegaDrive cases from back in the day , I did make one for the Mania special edition back in August so I had somewhere to put that cartridge. 

Glad to hear Mighty and Ray aren't  re-skins , that was something I was initially concerned about. Will be interesting to see how different they can make the game feel then.

A random thought, but it'd be great if the physical version is able to detect and copy over your save data from the digital version.  I have no reason to buy this for anything other than the Switch, which I already own (and have 100%'d) the original of.  It'd be nice if the first time I load up Plus it'll ask if I want to import my save data from the original so I already have my initial four completed saves there and everything unlocked for replay purposes in the future so I can dive straight into playing Mighty, Ray or encore mode without the looming despair that I'll eventually have to redo Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Sonic & Tails playthroughs to avoid feeling empty inside.  To say nothing of them gotdang blue spheres.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I wonder if Mighty and Ray will have their own story or if they're just sort of...there?

I'm looking forward to a physical release but the character choices are a bit odd. Who'd have thought Mighty and Ray would be playable in a mainline 2D Sonic game before Amy.

Encore Mode seems suited to the idea of a new story, if they want to do one.  But it might just be a matter of suspending disbelief for one mode or another.

...Also, while I think there's some logic to the use of Mighty and Ray, then I would not be in the least surprised if Team Mania had asked to make Amy playable and Sonic Team had nixed it for one of their bizarre reasons.  "Amy platforming is part of the Modern brand," or the like.  Conspiracy theory, I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also will preorder one of the physical versions even if I don't own any console atm, but maybe I will buy a Switch later...

I love collecting this kind of Sonic stuff and just...look at it. :lol:

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

Encore Mode seems suited to the idea of a new story, if they want to do one.  But it might just be a matter of suspending disbelief for one mode or another.

...Also, while I think there's some logic to the use of Mighty and Ray, then I would not be in the least surprised if Team Mania had asked to make Amy playable and Sonic Team had nixed it for one of their bizarre reasons.  "Amy platforming is part of the Modern brand," or the like.  Conspiracy theory, I know.

Yes; the missing context of Encore Mode is quite intriguing!  At first when they described it, it felt like it would be a playthrough all of the game's current zones but adjusted somehow. 

It may be, however the press information yesterday simply says "familiar locations" which might mean something else.  It is very exciting to wonder if it will represent something similar to what is being depicted in the animated series.  Will there be a Mania version of Angel Island after all, or, could this mode pick up where the animated series ends? 

As far as i can tell, by not including Amy just yet, they can have the next game display the origins, or simply represent the earliest days, of the Piko Piko Hammer! 

That is not something that the Mania team would pass up, as it is really quite special! 

New here!

Really excited for the absolute blast from the past-ness that Sonic Mania has been. 

Sonic Plus, and particularly the Mighty and Ray announcement has my hype levels out of control!

But I haven't seen much discussion going around, so I came here.

I admit I would have never seen this coming. Amy, Metal Sonic, and even Fang had priority in the classic era if you asked me, but seeing these two, out of the blue, was quite the surprise!

Mighty is awesome. And his Chaotix gameplay was one of my favorites (only after Espio), so I can't wait to play as him again. And his Megamix gimmick (of shield storing) is my favorite in the series, because you can pull of really crazy tricks. I doubt we'll see that, but one can dream.

Now Ray has me slightly more intrigued. I loved Segasonic Arcade, and Ray grew on me a bit. But the only time when I've played him in a 2D sidescroller was in a crappy Sonic 1 hack where he played like an odd version of Knuckles.

I'm really curious what they're going to do with him. I'm on board the whole "Cape Mario" moveset train.

Although if they try something different, that'll be great too. (Automatic slow fall, anyone?).

I just wish we get to play them in Knuckles' Mirage Saloon 1.

I'm also extremely excited for the 4P competition mode.

...now if only I could find 3 more Sonic fans IRL ... ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you think they will fix the Hydrocity slides? Dunno if it was just me, but it was a bit weird having them run down the slides that had water going down them, without going into the sliding animation. Or was that intended? First time I got up to Hydrocity was fully expediting an epic slide like in Sonic 3, and just nothing...they just keep on running.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

Do you think they will fix the Hydrocity slides? Dunno if it was just me, but it was a bit weird having them run down the slides that had water going down them, without going into the sliding animation. Or was that intended? First time I got up to Hydrocity was fully expediting an epic slide like in Sonic 3, and just nothing...they just keep on running.

That actually did weird me out a bit the first time, too. There are a few other oddities that differentiate Mania from Sonic 3's HCZ as well; not necessarily worse, but having played Sonic 3&K for so long, it still throws me off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

That actually did weird me out a bit the first time, too. There are a few other oddities that differentiate Mania from Sonic 3's HCZ as well; not necessarily worse, but having played Sonic 3&K for so long, it still throws me off. 

More subtle differences feel especially weird when Hydrocity's level design and appearance probably changed the least out of Mania's returning zones.

I actually didn't really notice it to be honest since I'm usually rolling down those slides anyway!

2 hours ago, The Loudest Loud said:

I actually didn't really notice it to be honest since I'm usually rolling down those slides anyway!

Well that's just it - rolling isn't an option either, in the original Sonic 3, it uses the sliding/damage sprite. 

Not saying it's worse, just odd.

• Thumbs Up 1