Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

11 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Well that's just it - rolling isn't an option either, in the original Sonic 3, it uses the sliding/damage sprite. 

Not saying it's worse, just odd.

See this is interesting, it's not used on the slides but ya know where it IS and feels fairly out of place to me? Those Egg Robo monorail things in Titanic Monarch. It's a total nitpick put something looks wrong about them freezing in their damage poses on those that looked fine on the S3 slides!

Gonna be super honest - I think the box art could be improved. The individual art of the three characters is great, but Knuckles seems to be the main focus and Tails is relatively hidden. It's just the basic "floating characters and logo" style. It is at least very bright and stand-off though. I'd just rearrange the cast so that Sonic is a bit larger and more centred, with Knuckles and Tails to either side of him. The Genesis/Mega Drive variant art is lovely, although it's probably not right for store shelves so works better as an alternative.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Gonna be super honest - I think the box art could be improved. The individual art of the three characters is great, but Knuckles seems to be the main focus and Tails is relatively hidden. It's just the basic "floating characters and logo" style. It is at least very bright and stand-off though. I'd just rearrange the cast so that Sonic is a bit larger and more centred, with Knuckles and Tails to either side of him. The Genesis/Mega Drive variant art is lovely though.

They could also have Ray and Mighty in there too, the main boxart is kind of lazy.

I'm getting the Mega Drive version hopefully, looks so much better than the Genesis one.

Even though... It should be Saturn.

There is a small to medium chance for a trailer or screenshots today isn't there! 

That is to say, today a stream is coming in about two hours.  The modern/racing game is considered highly likely to have an additional revealing or trailer; but, Mania Plus is happening much sooner and multiple games have regularly been receiving new updates in the streams!  I do think that although the basic information has been sent to press, there will eventually be a trailer!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I feel out of the loop; I didn't even know there was a stream or anything coming today. A trailer or something would be awesome! Even just a teaser would be great. I'm really curious to see "Encore Mode" and find out some more information about that.

8 minutes ago, mikeblastdude said:

Wow, I feel out of the loop; I didn't even know there was a stream or anything coming today. A trailer or something would be awesome! Even just a teaser would be great. I'm really curious to see "Encore Mode" and find out some more information about that.

Sorry buy usually they don't show anything new at the streams, just merchandise and recap stuff.

I'm another parent with a young daughter,  who would've pre-ordered this in a heartbeat if Amy were playable.

Now I'm getting flashbacks to Super Mario Wii, trying to fathom how two Toad versions were playable instead of Princess Peach...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Now I'm getting flashbacks to Super Mario Wii, trying to fathom how two Toad versions were playable instead of Princess Peach...

Because dress physics...

Because dress physics...

Pfff. Everyone loves Peach's dress physics in Mario 2. Great for sequence breaking. ;)

As for Amy, others have pointed out she was a Sonic clone in Advance 2 and Heroes. The miniskirt wouldn't stop her from rolling, if rolling is the only way to put her in such a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if like the Ball Hog's and other enemies of similar nature, they had Mighty's spindash and roll have him destroy but bounce off enemies due to his shell, like a pinball mechanic. Might annoy speedrunners and cause potential unwanted slowdown to the core gameplay tho if you kept shooting off back the way you came. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

What if like the Ball Hog's and other enemies of similar nature, they had Mighty's spindash and roll have him destroy but bounce off enemies due to his shell, like a pinball mechanic. Might annoy speedrunners and cause potential unwanted slowdown to the core gameplay tho if you kept shooting off back the way you came. 

This actually kinda reminds of an idea I've had, where Mighty's gimmick is more about general defense.  You'd be able to curl into a ball whenever you want, stay that way indefinitely, and roll around manually.  It would make you immune to certain hazards, like spikes and enemy contact, but the trade offs are that your speed is more limited without momentum, you can't jump as high, and you can't defeat enemies at all unless you're moving fast enough.  I imagine they could make spike lined paths and stuff that only Mighty could safely get through with these skills.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wonder how the teleport mechanic will be implemented  in the 4 player competiive mode, i always play teleport only, and i can’t see how that would work in this case.

I can't wait to play a 4P match between Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray to determine who the best sidekick is!

That's if I even find 3 people to play this game with. ?

Also, any idea when the first episode of SMA airs? I'm going to share the heck out of it. It MUST become a success!

7 hours ago, NikoS said:

I wonder how the teleport mechanic will be implemented  in the 4 player competiive mode, i always play teleport only, and i can’t see how that would work in this case.

A random combination would work, I think.

1 hour ago, Rock-DJ said:

I can't wait to play a 4P match between Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray to determine who the best sidekick is!

That's if I even find 3 people to play this game with. ?

Also, any idea when the first episode of SMA airs? I'm going to share the heck out of it. It MUST become a success!

It would be really cool if we could play with any Sonic Mania owner, not only friends in the platform's network.

• Nice Smile 1

55 minutes ago, EmeraldNeo said:

sonic_mania_plus_art___mighty_and_ray_pi

Two new heads for Mighty and Ray

Wait are they official? I assume not, but they're looking good.

18 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wait are they official? I assume not, but they're looking good.

They're by this guy, apparently.

I hope they have a beginning and ending cutscene for Mighty and Ray. It would be disappointing if it was like Sonic CD (2011) where you didn't have a opening or ending cutscene when playing as Tails.

What about the beginning cutscene in Angel Island? I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be like Sonic & Tails intro; with Mighty on top of the Tornado and Ray piloting (and with Mighty piloting when playing with Ray). It also seems unlikely Mighty and Ray will start from the same location which Knuckles does (lower down in Angel Island and then ending-up lower down in Green Hill). 

It would be super interesting if Mighty and Ray get a different starting point in Green Hill. Maybe a different cutscene where they get warped to GH after encountering the Hard-Boiled Heavies (in possession of the phantom ruby). Perhaps Team Mania will expand Green Hill act 1 and give Mighty and Ray their own unique routes?

Also, I wonder if Mighty and Ray will get their own original act for Mirage Saloon Act1. Them using the Tornado (again like Sonic & Tails) in act1 seems unlikely and Knuckles route would need to be reworked to allow Mighty and Ray to make it through. So, maybe giving Mighty and Ray their own unique act for Mirage Saloon act1 would be a better option. Perhaps expand Eggman's train-make it much longer and play most of the act (with Mighty and Ray) moving across the train??? It always felt disappointing that Sonic and Tails route across the train is so short. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 3

5 playable characters. It's like the sonic advance era all over again for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They're by this guy, apparently.

This guy better be working on the missing cutscenes for Mania Plus, he's really good.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, molul said:

A random combination would work, I think.

Yeah i suppose it would, but then there it goes all the strategy when playing teleport only... oh well, at least it will still be there for 1 v. 1.

3 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

I hope they have a beginning and ending cutscene for Mighty and Ray. It would be disappointing if it was like Sonic CD (2011) where you didn't have a opening or ending cutscene when playing as Tails.

What about the beginning cutscene in Angel Island? I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be like Sonic & Tails intro; with Mighty on top of the Tornado and Ray piloting (and with Mighty piloting when playing with Ray). It also seems unlikely Mighty and Ray will start from the same location which Knuckles does (lower down in Angel Island and then ending-up lower down in Green Hill). 

It would be super interesting if Mighty and Ray get a different starting point in Green Hill. Maybe a different cutscene where they get warped to GH after encountering the Hard-Boiled Heavies (in possession of the phantom ruby). Perhaps Team Mania will expand Green Hill act 1 and give Mighty and Ray their own unique routes?

Also, I wonder if Mighty and Ray will get their own original act for Mirage Saloon Act1. Them using the Tornado (again like Sonic & Tails) in act1 seems unlikely and Knuckles route would need to be reworked to allow Mighty and Ray to make it through. So, maybe giving Mighty and Ray their own unique act for Mirage Saloon act1 would be a better option. Perhaps expand Eggman's train-make it much longer and play most of the act (with Mighty and Ray) moving across the train??? It always felt disappointing that Sonic and Tails route across the train is so short. 

I like your enthusiasm and ideas!

Yeah Mighty and Ray should have their own intros and outros.

I would have loved it if they had an intro in Carnival Island (KC) but they have to be somewhere in Angel Island to bump into the HBH.

Or Green Hill Zone assuming the Phantom Ruby warps through locations, and it's not all just mere illusions.

If Might keeps his KC moveset, I don't think MS1 will be a problem. (There weren't purely gliding areas were they?) And Ray can probably glide on some fashion but not climb.

I like the idea of them having access to a full train stage. (And take down the train boss at the end).

OR, unless they allow full freedom of choosing main character + partner, Mighty and Ray could be the after story to Mania (just how Knuckles had one in S&K). It could take place while Sonic is in Forces. (Although in my head cannon, Knuckles Chaotix happenned precisely then, until the cartoon pilot was shown).

The intro could have Mighty / Ray be coming from the other side of Angel Island (the Sonic 3 boss area in act 2) before they bump into the HBH.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1