Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

Sonic Mania Plus for Nintendo Switch, I hear that about twitter no spoilers and do not upload the video with sonic mania plus leaked until release on July 17

IGN released a video review on Sonic Mania Plus, they gave it a 7/10.

I don't recommend you watch it because it contains spoilers.

Also 13 minutes of gameplay.

I watched the review... and I actually agree with it. Sorry, but Encore Mode could have been a lot better, with a lot more changes, than what I know it has, more innovations with level design, and some bonus features perhaps. I could have been at least a hard mode, or add some new levels, I dunno. Mighty and Ray are a neat feature but still, only for long time fans who know obscure stuff. It's just an update, but not a particularly good one. The package however, is really a good deal.

16 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

I watched the review... and I actually agree with it. Sorry, but Encore Mode could have been a lot better, with a lot more changes, than what I know it has, more innovations with level design, and some bonus features perhaps. I could have been at least a hard mode, or add some new levels, I dunno. Mighty and Ray are a neat feature but still, only for long time fans who know obscure stuff. It's just an update, but not a particularly good one. The package however, is really a good deal.

I agree. Some minor changes are good, but as I have seen the PS4 patch "leak", the amount of slightly changed stuff doesn´t quite match up with how the game progresses. But I honestly hope fans (including me) would enhance it a bit with Maniac Editor. 

20 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

I could have been at least a hard mode

I'm pretty sure it is. There certainly seems to be more spikes and enemies and more complicated object arrangements compared to the base game.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Drifting Jack said:

Yes! It's nowhere neeeear as good as Forces' DLCs. The Sanic t-shirt, oh man, now that's a good update!

Sonic Mania Plus is an update that makes a game that was already great, even better, literally fixing everything and adding new stuff. I don't get the lower score. It makes a 10/10 game into a 11/10 if anything.

Spoiling just in case.

Spoiler

Are the new/missing stage transitions locked behind Encore Mode or are they part of the update patch?

If it's the latter then yeah I have to agree Mania Plus doesn't look that appealing to me. Ray and Mighty I've never really cared about and if the only new additions are recolored stages with more spikes here and there then... Woo. I guess. 

It's only 5 bucks isn't it? So it's not a big deal. A nice bonus but nothing mindblowing as I hoped.

12 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yes! It's nowhere neeeear as good as Forces' DLCs. The Sanic t-shirt, oh man, now that's a good update!

Nice on being condescending and completely belittling someone's opinion (that's pretty valid mind you), I'll give you a 10/10 on that one.

I do agree that the DLC looks to be a very solid "ok" - Encore Mode looks to be mostly a pallete swap with minor changes, but overall is still a pretty okay DLC for 5 bucks. I'm more weirded out by the fact that the writer looked at the Plus DLC as something completely separate. I'd understand if it brought some major changes to gameplay mechanics that's drastically different from the main game, but it just looks to be a supplement to the original game, so eh...

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Blue Wisp said:

Spoiling just in case.

Hide contents

Are the new/missing stage transitions locked behind Encore Mode or are they part of the update patch?

If it's the latter then yeah I have to agree Mania Plus doesn't look that appealing to me. Ray and Mighty I've never really cared about and if the only new additions are recolored stages with more spikes here and there then... Woo. I guess. 

It's only 5 bucks isn't it? So it's not a big deal. A nice bonus but nothing mindblowing as I hoped.

No, they're not. The update that fixes the transitions and other glitches/bugs (and changes 

that boss) will be release on the same day as Sonic Mania Plus for free. The 5 bucks "Plus" update itself is Encore mode, 4-players mode and playable Mighty and Ray.

45 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Nice on being condescending and completely belittling someone's opinion (that's pretty valid mind you), I'll give you a 10/10 on that one.

I do agree that the DLC looks to be a very solid "ok" - Encore Mode looks to be mostly a pallete swap with minor changes, but overall is still a pretty okay DLC for 5 bucks. I'm more weirded out by the fact that the writer looked at the Plus DLC as something completely separate. I'd understand if it brought some major changes to gameplay mechanics that's drastically different from the main game, but it just looks to be a supplement to the original game, so eh...

Thanks, but it was a joke. Not exactly about other opinions, but a joke about how ridiculous Forces' DLC was compared to Mania's. Another jab at Sonic Team? Maybe. But they're two games from the same franchise and I'm on my right to compare. Reviews like this makes me salty. Why IGN didn't reviewed Episode Shadow then? They clearly didn't got what Mania Plus was meant to be. Encore mode could've been better, say, like the Shovel Knight's extra campaings? Of course. But Plus will be out less than a year after the original release, while Shovel Knight's DLC took way longer. What we got here is frankly way bigger than we are even worthy. Saying it's "ok" or rating it lower than the vanilla Mania is just being somewhat ungrateful.

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

Thanks, but it was a joke. Not exactly about other opinions, but a joke about how ridiculous Forces' DLC was compared to Mania's. Another jab at Sonic Team? Maybe. But they're two games from the same franchise and I'm on my right to compare. Reviews like this makes me salty. Why IGN didn't reviewed Episode Shadow then? They clearly didn't got what Mania Plus was meant to be. Encore mode could've been better, say, like the Shovel Knight's extra campaings? Of course. But Plus will be out less than a year after the original release, while Shovel Knight's DLC took way longer. What we got here is frankly way bigger than we are even worthy. Saying it's "ok" or rating it lower than the vanilla Mania is just being somewhat ungrateful.

Ungrateful though? What do those reviews own the Mania Team?

I think the IGN score is well deserved. I would take a full Angel Island stage over the entirety of Encore mode.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Jango said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No, they're not. The update that fixes the transitions and other glitches/bugs (and changes 

that boss) will be release on the same day as Sonic Mania Plus for free. The 5 bucks "Plus" update itself is Encore mode, 4-players mode and playable Mighty and Ray.

Critics are here to judge if content is worth the asking price. They aren't here to pat developers on the back. There's plenty of your type around to handle that. 

The new content is an individual transaction, so it makes sense to rate it individually. It's not just an update we're getting for free. It makes sense to judge DLC on it's own merits in terms of what it brings to the table. I'm glad that they're keeping it real because I know I can hold off on buying this for a while based on the impressions I'm getting.

• Thumbs Up 7

My only real issue with the IGN review was that the structure was somewhat confusing - as they dipped into features that are part of vanilla Mania for everyone as of the 17th. The writer’s now clarified that it is supposed to just cover the DLC though, and to that end I’d say a 7 is about what I expected. Still questionable as it goes into a Metacritic pool with reviews that for the most part seem to have reviewed it as a single package, but that’s down to the failings of Metacritic, not the reviewer. 

Seeing them as “ungrateful” is a pretty dumb take for reasons Josh already said, but furthermore the writer triple-dipped on the original Mania. This isn’t some Sonic-hating bogeyman journalist that some people still somehow thinks exists - this is a review by a die-hard SEGA fan that just suffers from a slightly unclear structure. And even that’s debatable with the clarification out. 

Anywho, Plus sounds about what I expected so I’m cool with it and excited to hop back in to check out Encore and how it’ll play with my muscle memory. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

I didn't even expect reviews in the first place for this, lol, but I guess I should have. As I own the PS4 and PC versions, I am mainly buying this to play it in the Switch's handheld mode and to own a physical version. Mighty, Ray and Encore Mode are just gravy to me, so the odd 7 from a major outlet among higher praise seems pretty good for extra content.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I couldn't think of where else to put this, so I'll do it here.

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Could that mean that Amy could be full Super too?.... I mean, maybe the Hedgehogs only rule might apply... Would be so cool if when you get all emeralds in a Mania 2 as Amy and when you activate Amy doesnt just glow but floats around like a legit badass super Saiyan... Man that would be silly yet cool as hell.

2 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

Could that mean that Amy could be full Super too?.... I mean, maybe the Hedgehogs only rule might apply... Would be so cool if when you get all emeralds in a Mania 2 as Amy and when you activate Amy doesnt just glow but floats around like a legit badass super Saiyan... Man that would be silly yet cool as hell.

I'd probably like that. Would've thought that'd to be a possibility here.

38 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I couldn't think of where else to put this, so I'll do it here.

Hide contents

Yes, only male hedgehogs. Check the spoiler topic when you're not avoiding them for more elaboration.

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Hide contents

Yes, only male hedgehogs. Check the spoiler topic when you're not avoiding them for more elaboration.

I haven't played either version myself, so I might go ahead and do that.

ViOFa7G.jpg

gDkCf6S.jpg

Spoiler

I thought it was a bit early, but the Switch version arrived just now! I'd forgotten about the reversible cover, so that's neat. The little art book's pretty nice too.

This will probably be the main reason I begin to cart my Switch around with me.

This is the sort of on point marketing that never should've gone away.  If Sega were as savvy as its own 80 second long ad Forces would've probably been a masterpiece.

Is the disc on the left the game or did they bring the soundtrack overseas?

4 minutes ago, Patron said:

Is the disc on the left the game or did they bring the soundtrack overseas?

It's the game - you can see the ESRB logo on it. All of the game packaging used in this video lacks console branding.

• Thumbs Up 1

The package, by the look of it, is basically: 

- The game's box with the disc, art book and poster inside;

- The Mega Drive/Genesis box, empty I suppose... Or is it just the cover?

- Both inside the holographic cartboard sleeve.

Is it?