Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

Just now, RedFox99 said:

I'm gonna be honest: I really don't like Ray's glide for multiplies reasons: inverted controls, the fact that you can still take damage, not use it to attack enemies.

Inverted controls? They're not inverted...

Being unable to attack is one of the two things that keep Ray's air glide balanced. You could either try to swoop down underneath them, or stop gliding and start falling instead, which puts him back into a ball. 

• Thumbs Up 7

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Inverted controls? They're not inverted...

Being unable to attack is one of the two things that keep Ray's air glide balanced. You could either try to swoop down underneath them, or stop gliding and start falling instead, which puts him back into a ball. 

Whenever I push up, he glides down.

14 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Whenever I push up, he glides down.

You don't use up/down to control him; you use left/right. Relative to the direction he's facing, forwards will make him go into a dive to speed up whilst backwards will tilt him up to gain height and slow down. Pressing up/down does nothing at all.

13 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm gonna be honest: I really don't like Ray's glide for multiplies reasons: inverted controls, the fact that you can still take damage, not use it to attack enemies.

What's wrong with Ray's gliding controls? He's literally Cape Mario with greater emphasis on falling momentum.

• Thumbs Up 2

I might have tweaked a bit the momentum when you release the left direction on d-pad (when gliding to right), but it didn't feel difficult to make to me at all.

So there's a cap on his flight as well? I think it depends on how fast you go...

Just that he can't be in the air forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

So there's a cap on his flight as well? I think it depends on how fast you go...

Just that he can't be in the air forever.

As soon as he hits a flat ceiling, a wall or the top of the level, his flight is cancelled and he falls. The longer you glide for, the faster you go; and the faster you go, the greater your ascent when pulling backwards. He can theoretically fly forever, but it becomes much more difficult the longer it goes on.  The level design will most likely bring a stop to it. You can fly over significant potions of some levels without much effort at all though.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Okay then, I guess it's just if you pull back too much. The rest is normal.

If you pull back too much, you just slow down with no increase in height. Basically you accelerate to go down and brake to go up.

Ok, beat Encore mode, few though.

1) Suggestion for Mania plus, let me use Drop Dash when I have Shield. Or give Tails "fall faster" button. At very least make Knuckles climbing a faster, I can't imagine this breaking the game, but sure would improve pace.

Tiny things, but I thing would be welcomed.

2) Mighty and Ray are a success (gameplay wise). I was sure that Mighty will be useless, but I really kept using his drop move and avoiding spikes is works great. I love how he can kill some enemies with ease (even previously immortal plants on Stardust Speedway)... but not all of them (bombs in Metallic Madness). That kinda went trial and error.

Ray is a bit tricker. He's OP in very few places, weaker Tails in others. Still, using him takes some skill and I appreciate it. In the end they aren't better that Main Trio, but good enough I would like to play as them from time to time.

3) Encore mode... as zones alone it's 'meh'. New paint, slight changes here and there, super short Angel Island. I think I would prefer if they scrapped the whole thing and just gave us one flesh out zone.

...than again, maybe the true point was gimmick of two characters. That was kinda fun, even if trivialized thing a little. Hard mode it ain't. Anyway, I'm mixed.

4) The story... unless there is something coming (Forces DLC?) that makes sense of it, it's kinda crap. Messing with Mania Adv continuity, teasing giant robot we never fight, the ending. It all feels just pointless, makes me wonder why have story here at all. I mean, why Eggman and HBH repeat all the boss fight in exact same fashion, even with Eggman taking Ruby from HBH?

5) One boss was improved (you know which one), still not perfect but I guess I shouldn't look gift horse in his mouth. After all, most bosses aren't challenge, just novel ideas to play with (I'm looking at Flying Battery act 1. Don't even need to move, just jump).

Also, Mighty and Ray have superfroms. Not Amy Rose, not Metal Sonic not Eggman, Mighty and Ray. Kinda funny, but I get it, gameplay comes first over Lore. Still, they look a bit lame.  wasn't aware you can make yellow glow look unimpressive. Maybe we should think of it as as cannon as extra lives or invincibility? They don't have story importance. (Or we cant except that even Professor Pickle could go Super, given opportunity. That works too).

@MetalSkulkBane What giant robot fight that we never get to fight are you referring to? The things you see at the end of Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness are the Titanic Monarch which Eggman is building on Little Planet. Act 1 is climbing the structure and act 2 is exploring the insides.

• My Emmerdoods 1

34 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

@MetalSkulkBane What giant robot fight that we never get to fight are you referring to? The things you see at the end of Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness are the Titanic Monarch which Eggman is building on Little Planet. Act 1 is climbing the structure and act 2 is exploring the insides.

Right. It was added to Mania Mode too and serves as a tease for the end of the game. Logical, considering you just passed the mid-game climax. Though it should have been in original release.

1 hour ago, molul said:

Gotta say that I'm still not find of the name "Mania", but it's quite better than "Discovery".

It is ? I don´t find it better, really.

I still think about one thing. Christian said that the 4P Competition Mode was made up because of playing the game while being together. Why not playing the game in multiplayer while they are not together isn´t a thing = Online Competition is still a mystery.

Plus I thought Christian would do a streamed gameplay as did Tee and Simon.

9 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh god, tell me I'm not the only one who never noticed that.

Still, the fact that I managed to miss it shows how strange choice this was. Almost like parodying most popular space station ever and then never really showing it in a game, just kinda mentioning it in manual, you know, i better stop talking.

It's Friday and I finally have time to play Sonic Mania Plus!

*Tries to buy the DLC*

>It's not available right now.

Awesome, brazilian PlayStation Store, just awesome... I guess I'll have to buy this using my international credit card on the american PS Store...

FFS, I can't find the physical copy nor buy the digital version 😫😫

Discovery would of been an ironic title in a game where you spend 2/3rds of the game revisiting past zones. Probably changed when the concept of new and past zones was introduced.

12 hours ago, silvereye27 said:

Discovery would of been an ironic title in a game where you spend 2/3rds of the game revisiting past zones. Probably changed when the concept of new and past zones was introduced.

That's literally exactly what happened.  "Sonic Discovery" was pitched as a small extra game with all-new stages to go alongside a console compilation of the Taxman 1, 2 and CD ports (and potentially 3&K I guess).

After Iizuka came up with the idea of making a full game featuring remixed classic levels too, the name was reconsidered at some point during the project.  The decision to change the name wasn't necessarily connected to the revisited stages stuff though.

I still kinda hate that that was our last chance at ever getting PC or console ports of Sonic 1 and 2. The M2 Switch version of Sonic 1 was when I finally gave up on holding out for it happening.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:07 PM, MadmanRB said:

I actually really like playing Mighty, I love how thew screen shakes and item boxes fly a tiny bit in the air when you pound the ground and nearby Badniks are taken out too

Same here, and he can destroy a bunch of stuff other characters can't. Plus, when he's curled up he's protected from certain projectiles so it's really fun to play as him.

Do not use Mighty's downward attack when you're in the oil on Oil Ocean Zone! It's the one place it becomes a liability.