Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

It's the biggest opening in the UK for a Sonic game since Heroes, 15 years ago. It's good that Sonic is successful.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Drifting Jack said:

It's good that Sonic is successful.

Good Sonic is successful. 

30 minutes ago, Jango said:

Good Sonic is successful. 

I hope this means we get new classic games with all-original stages and more cartoons! (animated cutscenes between stages would be nice too)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm surprised and thrilled that Mania Plus has done so well. I kind of thought it wouldn't do so incredibly well since Mania's been out for a year already, but just shows you the power of a physical release.

Although, when I think about it, when I was a girl I wouldn't have been able to buy anything digitally. Physical games were the only way I could play something because we didn't have internet back then. I know it's more common know, but I'm sure some parents don't let their kids use the internet until they are older. When I remember stuff like that I always push for physical releases.

I also think the sheer power of seeing a game on a shelf/amazon helps. 

• Thumbs Up 4

So I have physical copies of Sonic Mania Plus, but since I don't have a PS4 or Switch, I just have them for collection's sake and so I can play them in the future. For anybody who has actually been playing via physical version (on any platform), are there any mandatory installs or updates before they can operate?

Nothing beyond the norm on the PS4. It did ask me about switching from digital to physical though, but other than that I only had to wait for about a minute or so before I could play.

Yup, the PS4 version at least has no updates to download if you got physical. My previous copy was digital on Steam. So the PS4 version was new to my system and i just popped the disc in and away it went. Plus version etc all seems to be on disc even tho the disc comes up as "Sonic Mania".

Cool. Yeah wasn't sure if it was a weird case where it simply installed the game to your hard drive (like JP Okami and Journey's physical copies do on the PS3) and you had to keep the disc in anyway to play it, or if it ran off the disc like it should. I assume the Switch version is the same case. Thanks for the replies.

I was going to ask actually if anyone has messed around with this: On Switch, I've noticed that it doesn't consider my original Sonic Mania app and the cartridge version to be seperate.  If I take out the cartridge and then click on the same Sonic Mania that just a moment ago had the cartridge icon above it, it'll try to launch the digital version (telling me I need to update it due to the v1.4 thing, naturally).  I haven't bothered to see what happens because most of the time I'm turning the switch on to play Mania, it's on a break at work and I don't want to waste precious minutes finding out, lol.  I may as well ask here - if I load up Mania without the cartridge plugged in, will it have "unlocked" the Plus content, or will it launch the vanilla game?  I'd be surprised because it seems prone to abuse, but it'd be cool if I don't need the cartridge to play the Plus content.

If not then... it's a shame it's forcing me to update the digital version before I can play, since I would've liked to have kept a version with the original Metal Sonic and Dunkey mode intact, just for nostalgia's sake.

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

I was going to ask actually if anyone has messed around with this: On Switch, I've noticed that it doesn't consider my original Sonic Mania app and the cartridge version to be seperate.  If I take out the cartridge and then click on the same Sonic Mania that just a moment ago had the cartridge icon above it, it'll try to launch the digital version (telling me I need to update it due to the v1.4 thing, naturally).  I haven't bothered to see what happens because most of the time I'm turning the switch on to play Mania, it's on a break at work and I don't want to waste precious minutes finding out, lol.  I may as well ask here - if I load up Mania without the cartridge plugged in, will it have "unlocked" the Plus content, or will it launch the vanilla game?  I'd be surprised because it seems prone to abuse, but it'd be cool if I don't need the cartridge to play the Plus content.

If not then... it's a shame it's forcing me to update the digital version before I can play, since I would've liked to have kept a version with the original Metal Sonic and Dunkey mode intact, just for nostalgia's sake.

Unfortunately, if you don't have the Sonic Mania Plus Game Card, the digital game data won't have the Plus DLC when you play it. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Plus is just the latest version of the game with DLC already included. When you try to play the game without the cart after having already used it, you won't be able to play the digital version without updating. It's the exact same application on the cart as you would get from downloading, so once save data has been created for the newer version, the old version will be incompatible. If you update and play the digital version but don't buy the Plus DLC, the game will lock you out of Encore Mode, Mighty, Ray etc without the cart. You'll be able to play the game fine, but the Encore Mode option will be replaced with a Purchase DLC button. Selecting a Mighty or Ray file will just say "DLC not found".

Version 1.0.4 contains everything in the Plus DLC, but the new content is hidden behind a DLC unlock code. It's all included in the cart.

• Thumbs Up 2