Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

What excites me about Mighty and Ray, is the possibilities it opens up. Now I can, not totally unrealistically, hope for characters like Espio or Fang to be playable in the future.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I feel like they were chosen BECAUSE it's easy to make them reskins compared to other characters.

Like..I feel like if the Mania Team proper was working on this the updates would be more substantial, but nothing is confirmed.

I agree. I think someone who takes more work like Amy is being saved for Mania 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I know I'm asking this a lot... but did they say if there is a PC physical version or not? I remember they said something about those who bought it digital, new content will be added for free or something like that.

Please give me some hope.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I feel like they were chosen BECAUSE it's easy to make them reskins compared to other characters.

Like..I feel like if the Mania Team proper was working on this the updates would be more substantial, but nothing is confirmed.

Reskins though? Really? That's the last thing I would expect after all the effort that went into Mania. Ray has never appeared outside of a game where every character was a reskin. Surely they're going to work to make him more original with new abilities, and they've updated his look to be based on his Archie design. Mighty has his Chaotix wall-jump as a starting point for differentiation.

Reskins just don't seem likely. At all.

• Thumbs Up 4

Amy is a much more prominent character in the series, so adding her to Mania would be a much bigger reveal...it seems pretty obvious to me they're keeping her for the inevitable sequel. Mighty and Ray are more fitting as bonus characters, Metal Sonic would also have fit that role but he already got that treatment before in a certain other "classic" game.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I dunno how difficult this could be, but if anything she could have a mirrored gameplay from Sonic(includes having a proper spin jump, spin dash and rolling) with a few differences, like changing the dropdash/insta-shield with a hammer attack.

Probably wouldn’t be that difficult, and that sounds a lot better than her Advanced play style. It’s definitely an “A” and Amy does cameo as a bomb and the unused matchmaking slot machine so I’m just saying that she might’ve been considered.

10 minutes ago, superman43 said:

I still believe it was f*cked up on purpose, to get all caught on Amy and Metal Sonic. Let me just say, if it was R from the beginning, what´s the chance you will make out the "Plus" might have Mighty and Ray ? 

I still don’t know if it’s supposed to be an R. Is there any other character in the series who’s name starts with “R”?

With the announcement of the Plus edition I feel so pleased for Stealth, Taxman & PagodaWest. Especially because they now have the opportunity to release Mania as it should have been released last year. Mania's release date was of course pushed back three months in 2017, however, it still felt incomplete (with half the end-of-zone transitions missing, the final boss-fight arena feeling unfinished etc). So they now have extra time to polish it up, restore the content which got cut and include additional content for good measure.

It's fantastic that Team Mania are happy to continue to work on Mania. Gives me hope that in three or four years time SEGA will greenlight another new 2d game.

You know, I think it would be really cool if Mighty gets to keep his wall jump moveset from Chaotix. Wouldn't give him much of an advantage over the other playable characters in Mania due to how the stages are designed, but could be fun experimenting.

Any guesses as to how Mighty and Ray are going to tackle the story and Mirage Saloon? I'd love to see these two starting out together, ala Sonic and Tails.  I'll be surprised and disappointed if they don't get cutscenes and the missing cut don't get added in.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

they've updated his look to be based on his Archie design.

Not really, the only thing he shares with comic Ray is the shoe colour. Otherwise he looks completely different, and modern-based for that matter. 

Well, there was that one cancelled cover I think, #294? That had classic interpretations, lemme check that.

*checks*

...Huh. Matches. 

...But was Mania Ray based on that...or was Mania Ray already done and the comic version based on it instead?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I wish Amy was in this instead. At least it’s confirmed that these two will be available for those who already bought the game. It would have been a dick move to screw those who bought/supported the game early on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fuck yes, more stuff, I wonder if they will add new zones, because I felt there wasn't enough new zones.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Not really, the only thing he shares with comic Ray is the shoe colour. Otherwise he looks completely different, and modern-based for that matter. 

Well, there was that one cancelled cover that I think, #294? That had classic interpretations, lemme check that.

*checks*

...Huh. Matches. 

...But was Mania Ray based on that...or was Mania Ray already done and the comic version based on it instead?

Given Bean, Bark and Fang being represented as a gang of rogues a la the comics (whereas in game canon, their only real development was in a Fighters Megamix guide that didn't cast Bean and Bark as villains at all) I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on the comics. 

• Thumbs Up 5

what do you think encore mode is?

i'm placing my bets on it being like extra mode from kirby's return to dream land: a harder version of the original game.

53 minutes ago, Jango said:

The question is... will the digital version have the Plus patch? Or at least paid DLC? Or do we actually need to buy the physical version to play it?

100% free update for current Mania owners. They were very specific on that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I give up on the PC question, I guess there are no PC gamers here, but do you think there are more new features to be announced?

2 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I give up on the PC question, I guess there are no PC gamers here, but do you think there are more new features to be announced?

SEGA often don't bother with PC physical releases these days. The content will definitely be coming to Steam as paid DLC as with other platforms, but a physical release is unlikely. It's not included in the press release so far.

8 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Sorry, what was your question? PC gamer here.

I don't think there are more features. I hope they add the missing cutscenes, but that's not a cool feature to announce.

EDIT: a new bonus stage wouldn't hurt, also.

10 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

what do you think encore mode is?

i'm placing my bets on it being like extra mode from kirby's return to dream land: a harder version of the original game.

Maybe it’s the original layouts for the returning stages?

The lack of new stages is a shame, this would have been an ideal opportunity to even out the new/old level ratio.

Granted I suppose adding too much will lead to those who bought the original feeling they only got half the game. It's not like it's small as it is after all.

• Chuckle 1

17 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Any guesses as to how Mighty and Ray are going to tackle the story and Mirage Saloon? I'd love to see these two starting out together, ala Sonic and Tails.  I'll be surprised and disappointed if they don't get cutscenes and the missing cut don't get added in.

The Japanese manual of Chaotix does state that Mighty is "a traveller who feels definite aim in life for travelling every place". Maybe he simply enters certain stages while holding a map?

There's also the option of riding Ray's back ala Cream and Knuckles for Mirage Saloon.

Related image

• Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, molul said:

100% free update for current Mania owners. They were very specific on that. 

They were not at all specific about it being 100% free.  They said pricing would be announced at a later date immediately after talking about the update.

• Thumbs Up 9

Physical release means I'll pick up the Switch version. Mega excited about Mighty and Ray, if only for what it means for their viability as characters. Between them and the Hooligans, all the classic characters I really care about are back (Honey is my last pipe dream, but I'll live).

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

They were not at all specific about it being 100% free.  They said pricing would be announced at a later date immediately after talking about the update.

So my initial guess is that there will be general standard updates (bugs/glitches) and then specific "plus" updates.

I don't expect the "plus" to be free and don't think it should necessarily be free either.