Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Reveal (Coming July 17th) - NO SPOILERS

Sonictrainer

Funny coincidence I had SegaSonic arcade on my mind like a week ago.
Like others I'm pretty disappointed in no Amy. I guess I would have to agree that they're likely saving her for another game.
I mean, with the game's current control scheme she can hardly have her Advance moveset.

Excited to see what they do with Ray and Mighty. It's crazy to think they're being brought back after all this time

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Diogenes said:

That's a huge leap to make.

It just seems weird that everyone get bigger stuff to do, yet Amy was reduced to having enemy minions look like her.

• Thumbs Up 1

UM YES I AM PUMPED.  The only downer is that it's not Blaze ;_;....but who cares, Mighty and Ray are getting some spotlight and that's awesome! Plus, MANIA PHYSICAL EDITION!

They should've done this to begin with but I'm actually glad they've gone to great lengths to make this awesome.  Holographic cover, art book and $30? SOLD.  I'm a happy guy.  They should've called and Sonic Mania and KNUCKLES though...it would've been awesome.  

6 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

It does seems a little unfair that Amy's only appearance was as little evil dolls. Like @SpongicX said, it seems that the creators of Mania hate Amy.

Or they are holding her for the Sequel.

• Thumbs Up 1

My impressions?

This had to be an event about gaming and they have talked a lot about cartoons, comics and movie. Just less time to gaming side that everybody knows.

Sonic Mania Plus? Welcome but:

a) How's possible they hadn't thought about Amy Rose?

b ) no more stages?

Nice conference, but it could be more interesting. I hope they'll add Amy!! (credits to gen8hedghod from deviantart).

sonic_riders___amy_rose_by_gen8hedgehog.jpg

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Well... there it is...

I want to say this is ok. Because in theory it should be, they're adding so much and even changing the network multiplayer. 

But then on the otherhand... games like Strafe did this for free...

Hmmmm I think it's going to have to very much depend on the price. But honestly... leaning more towards the side of this being ok.

I agree it should be free for those who initially bought Mania.

But I also think the Mania crew should be supported and for Sega to see that report. As long like Aaron said that it would be reasonable

One has to also keep in mind that if made playable, Amy would likely utilise her Advance mechanics or something similar, and the levels aren't designed specifically for it. Not to say it's impossible to make her work, but it would require a LOT more finicking with the programming of both her and how everything in the stage works compared to what Mighty and Ray will likely be. Believe me, I know first hand. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega have played this perfectly with the two new characters. They've delved into their treasure trove and pulled out two characters that were created in the golden era of Sonic, yet are still ripe to explore fully. Wonderful.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not really. She wasn't "reduced" to anything; there was no obligation that she appear in the game in any form. It's a bit unfortunate that she's only represented by a quick cameo, but it's the nature of every work that not every character can have a major role. And assuming active hatred from that is, as said, a pretty huge leap.

Sorry, I was going through a real hard time, and have overreacted in the past. It was wrong of me to assume they hated Amy. I just wish the game gave her better recognition, instead of treating her like a monster that needed to die. For a game that was supposed to be celebrating the classics, it felt like they were saying Amy wasn’t important enough.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't bought Mania yet but if I ever do, I suppose going for the one with the Plus in the title makes the most sense.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Dude, it wasn't even the real Amy. It was a doll made in her appearance by EGGMAN. Like really, this is such an illogical conclusion to take from that, even if you are a fan of Amy. No the Mania developers do not have some secret agenda against Amy, and no I'm sure their thought process of making that cameo was "SHE HAS TO DIE!!!" It's a shout out and nothing more. She was not chosen, plain and simple. If you're upset because you would have preferred her, fine. But you don't have to do mental gymnastics to justify it. 

There are better ways to have her make a cameo then her being a bomb its hard for me see how they couldn't make a better role for her then that she could have easily been a NPC or playable.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

I feel like some of the disappointment with Mighty and Ray is a little unfair. Yeah they're a little uninteresting but like..... They literally have not been in  a game for over 20 years, they haven't had a chance to even BE characters much at all. I'm more then willing to give them a chance, especially when it comes to how they'll be implemented in the gameplay, can't wait to see more of them 

You're admitting they're basically non-characters, so it should be expected that a lot of people aren't excited about them appearing. Their role in the games so far is to literally to play similarly to characters that are in Sonic Mania already.

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

One has to also keep in mind that if made playable, Amy would likely utilise her Advance mechanics or something similar, and the levels aren't designed specifically for it. Not to say it's impossible to make her work, but it would require a LOT more finicking with the programming of both her and how everything in the stage works compared to what Mighty and Ray will likely be. Believe me, I know first hand. :P

Sonic Mania requires a bit more rolling than the Classic games and it honestly wouldn't do any harm to give her this ability if she were to be playable in Mania. Her not rolling at least for slopes was the only bad thing about her Advance  1 play-style.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

You're admitting they're basically non-characters, so it should be expected that a lot of people aren't excited about them appearing. Their role in the games so far is to literally to play similarly to characters that are in Sonic Mania already.

A lot of scrapped characters have no personality yet a lot of folks popped off at a character like Bark  getting just a cameo in this game. How they're executed now matters to me more then how they were in some old obscure games. This same thing happened with the Chaotix in fact (non characters to actual characters).   I also don't buy the idea they're just reskins at all right now given the game's pedigree and team behind it. Not to mention I doubt they'd give this big of a show for just character  reskins ... 

• Thumbs Up 6

I hate how I have to say this after Forces but.... Can we please wait for the game before we jump to conclusions about them being clone with nothing different? Who knows? They might get their own unique cutscenes showing their personalties and movesets like they are actually new characters which debut was Mania.

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

A lot of scrapped characters have no personality yet a lot of folks popped off at a character like Bark  getting just a cameo in this game. How they're executed now matters to me more then how they were in some old obscure games. This same thing happened with the Chaotix in fact (non characters to actual characters).   I also don't buy the idea they're just reskins at all right now given the game's pedigree and team behind it. Not to mention I doubt they'd give this big of a show for just character  reskins ... 

I'm not saying they'll be reskins in the game, I'm saying that's literally been their go to thing in their other appearances. Mighty stood in for Sonic in Knuckles Chaotix after they decided to take him out. They play nearly identically to Sonic in SegaSonic the Hedgehog. This is their "History" in the series.

I'll admit to liking Fang, Bark and Bean more than Mighty and Ray, but thats because their designs are really unique and ooze personality. There's not really anything like those three in the rest of the series, while Mighty and Ray designed pretty blatantly to be Sonic and Tails expies. If they announced Bark the Polarbear was playable in the game my mind would be going crazy wondering what the hell they had planned for him. Same thing with Fang considering his springy tailand his gun.

This is all compounded by the fact that Amy got shafted again. It's not Mighty and Ray's fault Amy got shafted again, but I think it was gonna put a damper on the announcement no matter what.

I'm not coming at anybody for being excited for Mighty and Rey but it shouldn't be hard to see the other side of the coin too, IMO. Maybe they'll do something cool with them. I'll wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Again, reason why people love those charcater is because of the comics specially, niche or not.

I myself like Mighty, Ray and the Hooligans because of the comics, just like many others do. I couldn't care less about what they done in the games they were in.

The Mania Team is smart, they made the Hooligans bad guys because of fans of the comics. Even Ray's shoes changed to the color that they are in the comics... How about giving him his personality from the comics too huh? Giving Mighty the same treatment.

I don’t get why some are assuming Amy wouldn’t work, because “she can’t roll”. She’s rolled in games before, heck, every character can roll, apparently, at least according to Sonic Heroes and Sonic Dash. The designers can easily make Amy roll if they want to.

It would honestly make more sense for Amy to roll, compared to Tails or Knuckles, since she’s a hedgehog like Sonic. Sega has made it obvious that they don’t care about continuity anymore, so what’s so bad about having classic Amy playable?

There are many things they could do with Amy. She could be the most defensive character, and could deflect certain attacks by jumping. Or they could give her a double jump. Just because she never was playable in the old games, doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve to be given a chance to officially be in a classic inspired game.

She’d honestly make more sense in a Genesis inspired game than Ray, who wasn’t even in a sidescroller to begin with. He was only available in an obscure Japanese arcade game that used a ball for a controller. At least Amy was actually in a more traditional classic Sonic game, she even existed before Knuckles made his debut. 

• Promotion 1

58 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

There are better ways to have her make a cameo then her being a bomb its hard for me see how they couldn't make a better role for her then that she could have easily been a NPC or playable.

It. is. HARMLESS. If a harmless cameo like that bothers you so much, then I honestly don't know what to tell you...

2 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I don’t get why some are assuming Amy wouldn’t work, because “she can’t roll”. She’s rolled in games before, heck, every character can roll, apparently, at least according to Sonic Heroes and Sonic Dash. The designers can easily make Amy roll if they want to.

It would honestly make more sense for Amy to roll, compared to Tails or Knuckles, since she’s a hedgehog like Sonic. Sega has made it obvious that they don’t care about continuity anymore, so what’s so bad about having classic Amy playable?

There are many things they could do with Amy. She could be the most defensive character, and could deflect certain attacks by jumping. Or they could give her a double jump. Just because she never was playable in the old games, doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve to be given a chance to officially be in a classic inspired game.

She’d honestly make more sense in a Genesis inspired game than Ray, who wasn’t even in a sidescroller to begin with. He was only available in an obscure Japanese arcade game that used a ball for a controller. At least Amy was actually in a more traditional classic Sonic game, she even existed before Knuckles made his debut. 

You're literally complaining now.

• Thumbs Up 2