Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

By the way, I know this is going to sound like heresy, but it really shouldn't be hard to make these better than the OVA in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

By the way, I know this is going to sound like heresy, but it really shouldn't be hard to make these better than the OVA in my opinion.

With only 5 minutes to work with per short and a presumably smaller budget considering they're viewable for free and exist for promotional reasons? Doubt it.

I'm not really going to compare the two either The OVA and the animated Mania stuff have a completely different vibe even if the designs are kind of similar.

I'm excited for thise, but I'm hoping thisis just a stepping stone bigger animated Sonic stuff in the future and not just a one and done commercial for Mania.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Josh said:

With only 5 minutes to work with per short and a presumably smaller budget considering they're viewable for free and exist for promotional reasons? Doubt it.

Yeah, honestly, none of that really matters to me. The OVA is just... 

... I mean I don't hate it but...

Oh, so this is what people are talkin about. Guess it further explains the whole Two Universes thing.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah, honestly, none of that really matters to me. The OVA is just... 

... I mean I don't hate it but...

What's not to love about Robotnik crackin yolk 15 times?C3WuBS7WYAADFBD.jpg

• Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 4

Tyson Hesse,  Tee Lopes.  They are the modern Sonic Team bringing quality back to the franchise.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

God. I'm such a slimey, jealous fuck-toid.

I see something this amazing looking and my literal first thought is "How come Classic Sonic gets all the good shit?! There's Modern Sonic with a ruler jammed up his ass and you're not helping him out SEGA. He needs help SEGA. Help him!"

But yeah, it looks cool. I'm all for it. 

This further convinces me that they're burying Modern Sonic

Yknow, after thinking a bit more, this only further, despite all the confirmations, makes it hard to believe the thing we saw in Forces/Gens was the same sonic as this one. Even when this starts immediately after Forces and we see him waving. This sonic is so much more fucking expressive in 3 seconds compared to the classic sonic throughout all of Gens and Forces.:-/ there’s such a obvious dissonance between these games portrayals of the same character(classic in Gens and Forces is just there to be cute ans mute and that’s it, whereas in Mania and here he actually displays expressiveness and attitude to trade off having no voice, his actions tell the story for him), and yet we’re told despite the personality and visual expressive differences they’re one and the same timeline wise...

• Thumbs Up 4

tumblr_p5pd3q0u9n1uwb389o1_540.png&key=c

MFW there's a new Mania cartoon

Im more interested in this than the rest of the things revealed tbh

7 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

There is zero evidence to support this idea. In fact, Aaron just reiterated (yesterday) how important Modern is to the team. They have legions of Modern fans out there that they need to keep into the fold, at least until they come up with a better foundation for their games.

For me though, Modern Sonic absolutely deserves to be buried. I mean I definitely don't hate Modern (I'm watching a longplay of SA1 as I type this) but he's had nearly 3 times as long as Classic Sonic now to get his act together and has spent most of that time floundering in mediocre games and a complete lack of direction. He is the epitome of "just gimme one more chance I'll get it right this time I swear". Nope. He will never get it right because he's like five different things at the same time and has to juggle all of these often contradictory identities to make his fans happy. 

Modern Sonic could improve with better writers and better planners but you'd then, once again, be changing what he fundamentally is like you have numerous times already. Can Modern maintain ANY single focused direction without pissing off a huge section of his fanbase? I'll answer: he can't and its obvious he can't.

Classic by contrast has basically never had this problem because he's always had a focused identity, gameplay concept, and universe. You know what he is, know what to expect, and it has a uniquely immediately identifiable charm in comparison to anything else both inside and outside the franchise. If his current popularity is also high enough to carry the games forward successfully in 2D and eventually even 3D, then to me its a no brainer that he should primarily represent the series while Modern should see a greatly reduced presence.

Again though, I see no evidence to suggest Modern is going anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 2

7 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

This is the exact same situation as when they revealed Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces last year.  They're going to focus all their PR efforts on the one that is coming out sooner, so right now the big focus is on Classic Sonic.  Don't forget that the IDW Comics and the new Sonic racing game also launch this year, the former being a Modern Sonic product and the latter is almost certainly going to be as well.  Modern isn't going anywhere, and if Classic is currently earning them money, it is sensible to give him more attention in order to fund their continued efforts to improve Modern's reputation in his products.

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

Yknow, after thinking a bit more, this only further, despite all the confirmations, makes it hard to believe the thing we saw in Forces/Gens was the same sonic as this one. Even when this starts immediately after Forces and we see him waving. This sonic is so much more fucking expressive in 3 seconds compared to the classic sonic throughout all of Gens and Forces.:-/ there’s such a obvious dissonance between these games portrayals of the same character(classic in Gens and Forces is just there to be cute ans mute and that’s it, whereas in Mania and here he actually displays expressiveness and attitude to trade off having no voice, his actions tell the story for him), and yet we’re told despite the personality and visual expressive differences they’re one and the same timeline wise...

Eh, it's nothing new really.  Remember even modern Sonic is the same Sonic we played through the classics, adventure games, 2006, etc.  The good thing is it seems these shorts aren't really going to depend on anything that happened in Forces, so if one wants, they could just see Classic Sonic's re-appearance as being his return from an unknown adventure in another dimension, etc.

11 minutes ago, JezMM said:

This is the exact same situation as when they revealed Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces last year.  They're going to focus all their PR efforts on the one that is coming out sooner, so right now the big focus is on Classic Sonic.  Don't forget that the IDW Comics and the new Sonic racing game also launch this year, the former being a Modern Sonic product and the latter is almost certainly going to be as well.  Modern isn't going anywhere, and if Classic is currently earning them money, it is sensible to give him more attention in order to fund their continued efforts to improve Modern's reputation in his products.

Eh, it's nothing new really.  Remember even modern Sonic is the same Sonic we played through the classics, adventure games, 2006, etc.  The good thing is it seems these shorts aren't really going to depend on anything that happened in Forces, so if one wants, they could just see Classic Sonic's re-appearance as being his return from an unknown adventure in another dimension, etc.

I like to think of it as an AosTH episode without Robotnik nor Tails (for example Sonic enter merhog dimension and fights captain Memo)

Because in my headcanon, Sonic Forces happens without classic!

Because it's supposed to be only 1 Sonic!

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Eh, it's nothing new really.  Remember even modern Sonic is the same Sonic we played through the classics, adventure games, 2006, etc.  The good thing is it seems these shorts aren't really going to depend on anything that happened in Forces, so if one wants, they could just see Classic Sonic's re-appearance as being his return from an unknown adventure in another dimension, etc

I’d say the difference here is there’s a clear narrative structure being told that attempts to connect these games. Forces modern sonic brings up Generations events and Mania directly links to Forces. So it’s more obvious and distracting for me here compared to vague implications that never actually directly ties itself to a concrete lore.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

If they were burying Modern Sonic they wouldn't have a whole new comic series coming out focused on him. As much as I've started to wish they'd kill off Modern Sonic, there's no reason to think it's actually going to happen any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

11 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I’d say the difference here is there’s a clear narrative structure being told that attempts to connect these games. Forces modern sonic brings up Generations events and Mania directly links to Forces. So it’s more obvious and distracting for me here compared to vague implications that never actually directly ties itself to a concrete lore.

That's fair, I tend to just take all Sonic content as it comes without being too harsh (like I embrace Sonic 4 being a follow-up to CD or Lost World's nonsense being part of the lore without any grumbling - I personally only get annoyed when CHARACTERS act inconsistently (like Tails being a little shit in Lost World) - I don't find Generations/Forces Classic out of character, just... underwhelmingly animated), but I can certainly empathise with those who are bummed out by all this great new Classic content being tainted by Forces' shortcomings and bad ideas.  It's a shame that this couldn't exist in the pure, self-contained bubble it deserves.

• Thumbs Up 3

If they bury Modern Sonic, where do you think will we get games with Shadow, Rouge, Silver and other popular modern character?

Bury Modern Sonic and we lose 70% of the fanbase!

I HATE the divide between modern and classic fans. For me it was always one Sonic, I never thought about eye color change! I just thought it was a designer's choice for the 3D transition.

But no! There had to be some angry fans who hate green-eyed Sonic to force Iizuka to shove him into Sonic Forces and making them 2 SEPARATE CHARACTERS (how much I hate that), and thus, messing years of established lore (even it's not perfect, like Blaze or Nega's origin, Sonic's world was consistent!).

I consider Mania in the same world as Adventure games, there is no direct contradiction to modern world (it's only in Sonic Forces).

• Thumbs Up 3

You know I just realized. Since Generations is to be taken as legit canon here, does that mean that Classic Tails will perhaps talk? (I really doubt they thought through that deeply on this)

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But no! There had to be some angry fans who hate green-eyed Sonic to force Iizuka to shove him into Sonic Forces and making them 2 SEPARATE CHARACTERS (how much I hate that), and thus, messing years of established lore (even it's not perfect, like Blaze or Nega's origin, Sonic's world was consistent!).

The lore was already shit, the world was never consistent, and this never would have happened if the series hadn't mutated so radically that it barely even resembled what it started as, leaving a whole load of dedicated fans out in the cold.

23 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The lore was already shit, the world was never consistent, and this never would have happened if the series hadn't mutated so radically that it barely even resembled what it started as, leaving a whole load of dedicated fans out in the cold.

So know we blame it on Modern Sonic and the modern cast?

11 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Having recently rewatched the OVA, Sonic's unfinished animation in this is already of a higher quality. Seriously, it was a fun 90s cartoon but it's definitely aged a lot. I'd say a better comparison would be with CD's opening/ending, since that's by far the best 2D animation (alongside the Man of the Year short) in the series. I doubt they have the budget for that level of action, though.

Either way, this was by far the most interesting reveal for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing Tyson Hesse and his team nail some fun character moments.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

So know we blame it on Modern Sonic and the modern cast?

I'd say we should blame it on Sonic Team first and foremost. But acting like things were fine until a bunch of classic fans "forced" things to change is a pretty dishonest spinning of the situation.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I've seen people say Mighty and Ray are in this. Is there any matter of truth there?

Jennifer Hernandez has published some art stuff for Mania Adventure for Mighty, so it might be true, I think ?

https://twitter.com/ChibiJenHen_Art/status/974986158680805376

About the possibility of them burying Modern, I also think it's very unlikely for the time being, especially as we are getting some new Modern stuff too, and that most of the classic new things are Mania-centered… Maybe Classic will become a sub-brand like they tried with Boom, but I don't think it'll replace Modern. (and maybe that Classic will make some cameos or be a playable character in the "party" games like the "Sonic Racing" stuff)

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Jennifer Hernandez has published some art stuff for Mania Adventure for Mighty, so it might be true, I think ?

https://twitter.com/ChibiJenHen_Art/status/974986158680805376

About the possibility of them burying Modern, I also think it's very unlikely for the time being, especially as we are getting some new Modern stuff too, and that most of the classic new things are Mania-centered… Maybe Classic will become a sub-brand like they tried with Boom, but I don't think it'll replace Modern. (and maybe that Classic will make some cameos or be a playable character in the "party" games like the "Sonic Racing" stuff)

Jen wrote "obvious fanart is obvious fanart" in the picture.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Jen wrote "obvious fanart is obvious fanart" in the picture.

Woops, my bad.

Maybe I should get to buy new eyes, ahah.

So nevermind, for the moment we might not know at all.