Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

Pretty cool short, though I find it kinda disappointing that mostly all the expressions in the episode have already been seen before.

tumblr_p5pbgeQ4RJ1w8ttwgo2_r1_1280.jpg

5d9659d98d755ca072dc43ff682e239a.png

When they said that the animators would be using them for reference, I wasn't expecting them to use all the expressions shown in one go. Though that probably means that all the rest of the shorts will be 100% never-before-seen, I guess... (aside from Tails, who also has a slide)

Aside from that, I'm also kinda disappointed at how Sonic moves around in the short. What we got in the opening cinematic and pre-order trailer was crazy energetic and fun, so to have the "movement" scene be him basically... flying around? Idk, it didn't look natural and that makes me kinda sad in this instance

Spoiler

Also a really niche hope of mine is that one of these shorts is going to have a more "serious" action scene, so that tyson and co can maybe strut their stuff in a more intense area we've only gotten a glimpse of

UXNo29C.png?1

Prolly never happening tho

Overall though, while I am disappointed in some ways, I can't help but enjoy this short for what it is. I love it when these characters have interactions like this, and the music that Tee Lopes made almost made me nostalgic for some old cartoons in some way. Dunno how, but it charmed the h*ck out of me. Can't wait for the next one, especially the Knux-Alone one, lol

4DgVmPZ.gif

Also best scene

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

What in the hell does this even mean. Is Sonic...not supposed to stretch?

It's one of the Sonic Colors cutscenes where he basically does his stand up routine, some push ups, and then would keep talking before finally going into action.

Yes but why is this such a problem.

Sonic stretches. It's a thing he's done for years.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Bobnik said:
  Hide contents

I hate the Rule of Funny, it makes Emeralds even less relevant than they already are. I guess they gave him an Emerald for that reason, but let's entertain the story reason

Story reason: 1) Green Emerald also flew away from the vortex at the end of Mania, so there's no way he picked it up

2) Even if he picked it up in the vortex, why did he never have a thought to pull it out of his blue butt and help the resistance with it in Forces?

Man, even the simplest continuities can't be followed anymore, and that's annoying me a tiny bit.

Spoiler

Regarding point two, what exactly could he have done with one Emerald? The dang things aren't useful individually unless you know Chaos Control or something.

It's a 2~ minute dialogueless short with all the limitations thereof, so I think some handwaving is acceptable. Let's say Sonic took a brief detour into the Special Zone at some point off-screen somewhere in middle of this short.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Yes but why is this such a problem.

Sonic stretches. It's a thing he's done for years.

The stretching isn't the problem, it's going on a really long bad comedy stand up routine. Stretching on it's own is just fine.

1 hour ago, Nestor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Guys, I'm like.... 99.99% sure Eggman isn't supposed to be actually dead.... bearing in mind the tone of this cartoon, this is supposed to be the equivalent of Wile E Coyote having the TNT he laid for roadrunner go off in his face. I mean, how many times has Eggman been at the epicentre of some huge explosion and got out merely dazed and singed?

Pretty sure they're joking, if not I'll eat my shoes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic talks smack, Sonic is apparently really lame when he talks smack...especially to non-sentient robots.

Unfortunate, to be sure, but whatever.

A little lameness in a cool character wouldn't hurt every now and then, but Sonic Colours took it places.

I really really love Tyson Hesse's style of Sonic where he imitates some of the classic art and Sonic's head isn't a separate "bubble" from his body.

I feel like it really emphasizes Sonic's "hedgehoginess" 

It's such a breath of fresh air for the character

Hey guys, we don't need spoiler tags in this topic. If someone waltzes into this topic intentionally without having seen a three-minute clip on Youtube and gets mad about it, then that's their fault.

• Thumbs Up 8

This was really great! Forget about Sonic Boom, Sonic Mania Adventures is where it's at.

The only complaint I have is the weird sounds they make when someone laughs. lol

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking at a cartoon villain's frame-by-frame is my favorite pastime

LJE7WpW.png

XaQ57Cs.png

Spoiler

NszMeVF.pngpzJI1lK.png

KrGgOPr.png

OUfNGhF.png

xaNRcPh.png

FYdb0E4.pngwwQRajf.pngiDWIkXs.png

84N4L0x.png

oGXOK7o.png

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 3

Just now, The Deleter said:

Looking at a cartoon villain's frame-by-frame is my favorite pastime

LJE7WpW.png

XaQ57Cs.png

Reveal hidden contents

NszMeVF.pngpzJI1lK.png

KrGgOPr.png

OUfNGhF.png

xaNRcPh.png

FYdb0E4.pngwwQRajf.pngiDWIkXs.png

84N4L0x.png

oGXOK7o.png

Eggman is literally perfect.

• Promotion 2

84N4L0x.png&key=de791485fc7cf658fa08839c

>MFW

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, despite being a failure, got the green light for a new series with 2 full seasons, over 50 episodes or so.

Sonic Mania, a complete success, gets 5 shorts, 2 and a half minutes long. 

You always bet on the wrong horse, SEGA. It's incredible, FASCINATING even, that SEGA went on and out with Sonic Boom, they took a HUGE leap, but they're still taking baby steps with Mania (old zones, a whole year for an actual physical release).

"A completely new universe with questionable redesigns, un-Sonic gameplay, a robot snake as a villain, exclusive to a doomed console?" HELL YEAH, LET'S INVEST ON THIS! "Truly fanatic and competent devs create the return to form of Classic Sonic games, incredible soundtrack, art and level design, tons of references and passion, a game that basically prints money?" NAH, TOO RISK, LET'S TAKE IT SLOW.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Celestia said:
  Hide contents

Regarding point two, what exactly could he have done with one Emerald? The dang things aren't useful individually unless you know Chaos Control or something.

It's a 2~ minute dialogueless short with all the limitations thereof, so I think some handwaving is acceptable. Let's say Sonic took a brief detour into the Special Zone at some point off-screen somewhere in middle of this short.

Hmm... nah, that seems like a stretch

I think assuming he just had it the whole time but never used it because there was no reason works better than assuming a random event took place off-screen in the six seconds between seeing Eggman and finding the capsule.

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

84N4L0x.png&key=de791485fc7cf658fa08839c

>MFW

Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, despite being a failure, got the green light for a new series with 2 full seasons, over 50 episodes or so.

Sonic Mania, a complete success, gets 5 shorts, 2 and a half minutes long. 

You always bet on the wrong horse, SEGA. It's incredible, FASCINATING even, that SEGA went on and out with Sonic Boom, they took a HUGE leap, but they're still taking baby steps with Mania (old zones, a whole year for an actual physical release).

"A completely new universe with questionable redesigns, un-Sonic gameplay, a robot snake as a villain, exclusive to a doomed console?" HELL, YEAH, LET'S INVEST ON THIS! "Truly fanatic and competent devs create the return to form of Classic Sonic games, incredible soundtrack, art and level design, tons of references and passion, a game that basically prints money?" NAH, TOO RISK, LET'S TAKE IT SLOW.

Would 50 episodes based on Mania work though? Like.. an 11 minute per episode show where no one talks? 

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

Would 50 episodes based on Mania work though? Like.. an 11 minute per episode show where no one talks? 

It's not impossible.

But there's no obligation that the classic series stay unvoiced, anyway. If the dialogue and voice acting got the same care and effort we've seen in SMA so far I'm sure they could make something worthy of getting 50 episodes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Pretty sure Tom & Jerry got over 50 episodes, movies, specials etc all without a word spoken, well, with the odd exception here or there, but it was hardly worth noting.

With the expressions, musical accompaniment and actions they are currently using in telling the story, having a literal voice really isn't needed.

All the people commenting in different places that it couldn't carry a plot without voice clearly didn't pay attention to the episode at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

The lack of voice acting seems kind of arbitrary here. If they expanded on this I'd want them to embrace full voice acting. That doesn't mean the expressiveness of the animation has to go away.

The Classic games were silent more out of necessity than anything else. They embraced voice acting as soon as they had a good opportunity to, so I don't see the point in limiting themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 2
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

The lack of voice acting seems kind of arbitrary here. If they expanded on this I'd want them to embrace full voice acting. That doesn't mean the expressiveness of the animation has to go away.

The Classic games were silent more out of necessity than anything else. They embraced voice acting as soon as they had a good opportunity to, so I don't see the point in limiting themselves.

I don't see it as limiting though, because the short was able to convey everything it needed without voice acting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I don't see it as limiting though, because the short was able to convey everything it needed without voice acting. 

Well yeah, but I'm assuming a full series would have to embrace setups more complicated than "Eggman traps Sonic, then traps himself" at some point. Even if it was 11 minutes long instead of the standard 22

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Well yeah, but I'm assuming a full series would have to embrace setups more complicated than "Eggman traps Sonic, then traps himself" at some point. Even if it was 11 minutes long instead of the standard 22

Oh if we're talking about a full series, then yea, a more complicated plot with voices would be needed. But these 2-3 minute shorts are fine with no voices.

14 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Pretty sure Tom & Jerry got over 50 episodes, movies, specials etc all without a word spoken, well, with the odd exception here or there, but it was hardly worth noting.

With the expressions, musical accompaniment and actions they are currently using in telling the story, having a literal voice really isn't needed.

All the people commenting in different places that it couldn't carry a plot without voice clearly didn't pay attention to the episode at all.

The specials, movies, and cartoons have other characters around Tom and Jerry speaking, especially the adaptations, sometimes to the point they become side characters (not to mention when the original shorts featured characters that did speak, or the incredibly rare times Tom and Jerry spoke, or that one movie where the two spoke the whole time). They're not an hour of the two characters pantomiming to each other. And the shorts were only like 3-5 minutes long.

Yes, and the story for Mania Adventures works as it is, it's great, but could it work without voice acting as well if made into a full series? 

49 minutes ago, Jango said:

That's not even close to the point I was making.

I got it, but pondering the idea of Mania getting it's own cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Razule said:

And the shorts were only like 3-5 minutes long.

6 to 7 minutes in standard time.