Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

How to literally ruin everything, and I'm even a Modern fan more than Classic!

Judging by the person's channel being mostly standard Sonic fan content, I'm 90% sure the uploader created this as an April Fools' Joke and not because they're a rabid anti-classic fan.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

*Starts watching first episode and gets to Eggman and Sonic in a slap fight*

At last, the duel we have all been waiting for...  Can we just get a whole bunch of these together and make an anthology show out of them Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry style?  As hilarious as Boom is, I wouldn't mind getting an extra show.  Besides Tyson Hesse's talent needs to be fully utilised.

How about Sonic Mania Kids? It's about Sonic and Eggman.. but as kids. Everything's the same but that.

3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

How to literally ruin everything, and I'm even a Modern fan more than Classic!

NO! Literally one of the best things about this was that it was silent! It has been tarnished by bad dialogue!

• Absolutely 1

That probably would've been better with isolated clips...and more grunts. But it was a positive video.

I'm friends with the channel owner and it's an April Fools joke, guys.

Will Forces get referenced more in the series? I would like to see some cameos from the modern characters to explain some more things.

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm friends with the channel owner and it's an April Fools joke, guys.

I don't believe you, now where is this cretin hiding

Spoiler

jk

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Will Forces get referenced more in the series? I would like to see some cameos from the modern characters to explain some more things.

Very doubtful, that would get extremely messy for the Sonic Mania "brand" they seem to be building, and with only three minutes per short, this series is going to be 15 minutes long in total by the end. There's really not gonna be the screentime for a cast larger than the classic group.

That aside... what things do you feel need explaining that would require modern cameos anyway?

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Very doubtful, that would get extremely messy for the Sonic Mania "brand" they seem to be building, and with only three minutes per short, this series is going to be 15 minutes long in total by the end. There's really not gonna be the screentime for a cast larger than the classic group.

That aside... what things do you feel need explaining that would require modern cameos anyway?

Where Infinite wound up and if he has ties to the Heavies. Why Silver was there.

30 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Where Infinite wound up and if he has ties to the Heavies. Why Silver was there.

1. We don't know, but a modern Sonic property set in modern Sonic's world is the place to explain that, not something clearly intended as a follow-up to Sonic Mania, set in Classic Sonic's world, in which Infinite did not appear.

2. He does not have ties to the Heavies.  We were given clear, canon insights into who Infinite is and his connection to the Phantom Ruby through the main story, Episode Shadow, and the prequel comics.  There was ample opportunity to establish a connection between them and they didn't, so it is very safe to assume they have no ties to one another other than that they both used the Phantom Ruby to increase their powers within their respective worlds.  They are no more related to one another than Chaos, Black Doom or Light Gaia are for making use of the Chaos Emeralds to increase their powers.

3. Silver's presence was explained in the prequel comics: http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/166573317873/knock-knock-its-issue-2-of-our-sonic-forces

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

1. We don't know, but a modern Sonic property set in modern Sonic's world is the place to explain that, not something clearly intended as a follow-up to Sonic Mania, set in Classic Sonic's world, in which Infinite did not appear.

2. He does not have ties to the Heavies.  We were given clear, canon insights into who Infinite is and his connection to the Phantom Ruby through the main story, Episode Shadow, and the prequel comics.  There was ample opportunity to establish a connection between them and they didn't, so it is very safe to assume they have no ties to one another other than that they both used the Phantom Ruby to increase their powers within their respective worlds.  They are no more related to one another than Chaos, Black Doom or Light Gaia are for making use of the Chaos Emeralds to increase their powers.

3. Silver's presence was explained in the prequel comics: http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/166573317873/knock-knock-its-issue-2-of-our-sonic-forces

1. Unless they don’t, like with the Deadly Six.

2. They could pull a Chronicles and add the connection later.

3. Sorry; but that isn’t enough. More elaboration would be nice.

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe Sonic Mania Adventures should be allowed to be Sonic Mania Adventures and not have to do cleanup for Sonic Team's fuckups.

Well, SOMEONE has to do it, and Mania itself set up Sonic Team for something. It’d Be nice to see things go full circle.

In regards to that video, Modern Sonic's problem really isn't even the fact that they talk. The dialogue is such a steaming hunk of garbage and the voice director has to be on an infinite coffee break or something. It's no wonder how incredibly different they sound when speaking in something like Sonic Boom. 

Like most of the things wrong with the 3D games, it's just a matter of execution. I'd very much love (and admittedly prefer) a fun, expressive, action-adventure show where the modern characters in their modern designs were allowed to talk. All you'd have to do is not make the animation look like shit. Not have shit dialogue. And not have shit voice directing.

Classic Sonic works best silent of course. Even back when I wasn't happy to see him around, all that talk of having Jaleel White coming back made my stomach churn. No offense to the guy. He did his duty well back in the 90s but this one episode of Mania Adventures was so adorable I think it converted me from tolerating to outright liking Classic Sonic in a mili-instant. Sometimes you can't argue with a working formula.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

1. Unless they don’t, like with the Deadly Six.

2. They could pull a Chronicles and add the connection later.

1. Still no reason to shoehorn it into SMA.

2. Sure?  But until further notice then, there is no connection and thus no question that needs to be answered.

3. I love Sonic lore and wish they paid more attention to details too, but I've made peace with the fact that not every stone goes unturned in Sonic storylines.  I'd highly recommend making peace with that fact too or directing your energy towards more mature franchises that have creators that care more about this sorta stuff.  At the very least you need to get better at identifying when and where is the appropriate time to explain these things.  Having a checklist of unanswered questions from previous entries is murder to the creative process.

The example I always think of is how people asked Pixar how, in Monsters University, Sully and Mike could meet in college when a line from Monsters Inc had Mike imply that they'd known each other since they were young kids.  Their answer was basically "yeah that's annoying but we weren't gonna throw out an entire movie concept just because a single throwaway line contradicts it".  Applying this kind of common sense logic to plotholes in Sonic makes a lot of them easier to digest.  The reason Silver was here was because he has a fanbase who hasn't seen him have a prominent role in a main series title for a long time and they wanted to include him.  Unfortunately, he's tied down by a bunch of lore baggage in terms of justifying his appearance (I don't understand why they didn't just have him decide to stay in the present after Generations pulled him back again), so they gave a quick explaination to justify his return in Forces without dwelling on it too long because otherwise it would've been massively distracting from the main focus of the plot.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, SOMEONE has to do it, and Mania itself set up Sonic Team for something. It’d Be nice to see things go full circle.

I'd rather keep my peas and potatoes separate, thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Is there really anything else to explain though? The future's gone crazy (due, unknown to Silver, to the Phantom Ruby entering the modern Sonic timeline from another dimension and allowing Eggman to take over) and Silver's come back to fix it (also neatly explaining why Knuckles becomes involved). I'm not sure really what further details are needed? That kind of gives the whole reason right there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I mean, my problem with Forces' story wasn't necessarily that things weren't explained. It was just that it's premise provided the opportunity for some extremely beefy content and what we got instead was some garnish of lettuce on a plate. It's not as though it takes much to make things feel like a compelling adventure. You don't really need a bunch of lore or anything too complex in lue of battle strategies to get that across. 

Eggman's plan for the Prison Island escape thing was fairly simple back in Adventure 2 but everything it led to was an enjoyable cluster-fuck because there were like six characters (plus an army) with different motivations and objectives in mind. When those motivations and objectives overlap, it sends a monkey wrench into the plan and a bunch of the chess pieces start moving in directions they weren't supposed to before. Eggman gets delayed when he comes across Tails trying to break the law by breaking Sonic out. The G.U.N personnel on the island don't know Rouge is a secret agent so they attack her and get her locked in the vault with the emeralds. Sonic comes across Shadow while he's in the middle of escaping. Etc.

It's just a matter of utilizing their personalities and positions within the story to its fullest. When it came to Forces, talk of where Shadow's allegiances lie, what Tails's deal was, how Rouge ended up being missing in the beginning but ended up in the resistance at the end, what happened to Omega after his confrontation with Infinite; all that kind of talk and the ideas people shared had more interesting about it then what actually transpired within the story.

I would like Mania Adventures to be what it is and nothing more. It clearly knows what it is and,  if the first episode is anything to go by, it does a damn good job of capitalizing on it.

I would love it if Modern Sonic got it's own thing, of course. You don't need to shoehorn him into Classic Sonic's stuff for that. I hate it when they do that the other way around so I wouldn't find it charming if they did the opposite here.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I mean.....the sonic in this and modern are the exact same character.  classic is just in his immature slapstick years. He works best silent at times. Modern just needs better writers. Aka comic writers.

Uuuh. I think Sonic Mania Adventures isn't the best place to explain detailed Sonic Forces aftermath plot points. These are just fun and silent  cartoon shorts after all.

48 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Uuuh. I think Sonic Mania Adventures isn't the best place to explain detailed Sonic Forces aftermath plot points. These are just fun and silent  cartoon shorts after all.

I’m inclined to disagree, after all, Forces is very well tied into Mania. If Sonic Team doesn’t bother explaining (like with Lost World), why shouldn’t the Mania team? Unless there were another series for that (Sonic Forces Legends? Sonic Forces: Aftermath?).

56 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I’m inclined to disagree, after all, Forces is very well tied into Mania. If Sonic Team doesn’t bother explaining (like with Lost World), why shouldn’t the Mania team? Unless there were another series for that (Sonic Forces Legends? Sonic Forces: Aftermath?).

I believe it's the IDW comic series. The first arc is called Fallout. Mania will probably carry on along its own timeline, but not cross over the modern world again. 

Anyway, the first episode of SMA really is 2 minutes long, not three. But yeah, I believe the other parts would be slightly longer. Or at least I hope.

They said from the get go they are going to be short. I would not get hopes running high for anything over 3 minutes if that.

4 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

It's not really the Mania team's job to clean up after Sonic Team though. Sonic Team's time to explain this stuff was when they were making the game. 

I don't even like the fact that Mania and Forces are tied to one another.

• Thumbs Up 6