Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

7 minutes ago, Cuz said:

and cloning isn't?

Because when you break him down to themes Shadow is just that, bio-engineering run-a-mack, which fits nature vs machine perfectly fine and isn't that far off the mad scientist wheelhouse as robotics run-a-muck. See Frankenstein or Mewtwo...

Because Mewtwo is a character that shows up willynilly.

But yes--the clone that existed 35 years prior to the original because of a prophecy/mural that inspired the creator to shape his [part-?]alien cure-generating host after. Tale as old as time.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Because Mewtwo is a character that shows up willynilly.

But yes--the clone that existed 35 years prior to the original because of a prophecy/mural that inspired the creator to shape his [part-?]alien cure-generating host after. Tale as old as time.

He's doing pretty good for a Pokemon willynilly-ing around. xD

That's why I tried to stick to 'bio-engineering' rather than 'clone', it's more apt to Shadow's situation, but cloning is the sub-branch that more commonly shows up in typical science fiction tropes.

Just now, Cuz said:

He's doing pretty good for a Pokemon willynilly-ing around. xD

I was being sarcastic. And potentially ignorant

Mewtwo isn't really a versatile character either.

2 minutes ago, Cuz said:

That's why I tried to stick to 'bio-engineering' rather than 'clone', it's more apt to Shadow's situation, but cloning is the sub-branch that more commonly shows up in typical science fiction tropes.

I guess.

The point is that he's mighty complicated for what was conceptualized as "Dark Sonic."

Loved the ending! Very charming. :3

I enjoy greatly how epic they made Metal-Sonic in this series, when he appears Metal Sonic should always be a real threat... no point in using him otherwise I say because turning big time villains into mere punching bags just to make the heroes seem cooler is among the worse things you can do typically.

Tiny bit disappointed they didn't make Metal Sonic turn gold for his super form when Mecha Sonic was allowed to be super gold in the past. I guess Sonic Team's opinion on that has changed... Either-way I want to play as him even more in a new official Sonic game!

I now want to see somebody take that whole Metal Sonic boss fight, revision it and include it into a fan game!

That's weird. You'd think Super Metal Sonic would totally stomp Sonic, Tails, Mighty, and Ray, but everyone seemed fine. lol

Well, I guess they wanna stay consistent with how Knuckles knocked out Super Sonic and defeated Super Mecha Sonic.

I loved it! I hope we can get some more miniseries like this from time to time (but with no contradictions to the modern era! I want a consistent canon).

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I was being sarcastic. And potentially ignorant

Mewtwo isn't really a versatile character either.

I guess.

The point is that he's mighty complicated for what was conceptualized as "Dark Sonic."

I figured, that's why I played off with a laugh. 😛  He's got two Mega-forms and regular appearances in Smash. I think he's doing fine.

I just feel like people are getting hung up on trivia details when Shadow can (and would maybe have to in order for him to work in a Mania Adventures style series), be easily boiled down to themes more familiar than people either realize or are willing to admit.

As for Metal, not to hate on him, I just feel he gets more credit for being his own character then he really is. Like He's a credit to the Doctor's accomplishments first, and his own person is often a distant second to that.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

snchoimkcpst_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=15318533

sncezpposmty_a90466e0-5f02-40fd-9f41-076

There's also a bunch of Sonic Mania Plus stuff

snchoipossmp_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=153185

For the love of god let me buy this stuff in the UK.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I found the ending slightly anti-climatic.

Not the Knuckles part. That was brilliant. If they must keep Knuckles as idiot, at least make him ass-kicking idiot, who can save ME by himself.

I mean to be fair, I wouldn't exactly class Knuckles as an "idiot". Naive, yeah. Absolutely, he grew up alone on a floating island with on a brief idea of his ancestry, the guy isn't going to be a people person, but he was able to consistently and constantly abuse all of Angel Island's various zones to his advantage to constantly mess with Sonic and impede his progress. 

That's partially the reason why I dislike "dumb" Knuckles. He shouldn't be a completely hopeless fool because I don't believe that's what he even was to begin with. He was a naive hot-head who misunderstood situations, not a complete idiot. 

Mania Adventures and by extension Mega Drive if anything has been one of the most accurate portrayals I think. He's got his egotistical and tricky side from S3&K, he's still an effective bruiser, and Mania Adventures as previously said actually gave him actual reason to blame Sonic this time, because Eggman actually did a good job framing him. A lot of his comedy and goofiness can come from the fact he's hot-headed, nowhere near a people person (I.E trying to throw Ray away from the Master Emerald), and overly paranoid.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

That's weird. You'd think Super Metal Sonic would totally stomp Sonic, Tails, Mighty, and Ray, but everyone seemed fine. lol

Well, I guess they wanna stay consistent with how Knuckles knocked out Super Sonic and defeated Super Mecha Sonic.

Eh, I think they did pretty well with the time they had.  Not like they could've spent the whole cartoon having him whale on the heroes just to establish how strong he was.  They had him easily beat Sonic 1-on-1, then he was still holding his own and didn't seem fazed against four of them at once.  Only once Tails exploited the phase panel things (that were shown explicitly to capture Emeralds, I liked that) did they gain any real ground.

Honestly I think Metal Sonic was the star of the show this time around and it's only right that Knuckles avenge his precious baby in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

My thoughts about this series:

Good. Real good. Good comedy, funny expressions, and nice timing. The music wasn't half bad either.

Best part was part 5's ending with Knux, in my humble opinion. When I first saw that, my first thought was "Wait, what?!" Then I laughed a bit at Sonic's shrug and the tiny part where Tails started to choke.

All and all, 5 :star:

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved this series. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a modern Sonic cartoon series.

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

and cloning isn't?

Because when you break him down to themes Shadow is just that, bio-engineering run-a-mack, which fits nature vs machine perfectly fine and isn't that far off the mad scientist wheelhouse as robotics run-a-muck. See Frankenstein or Mewtwo...

You picked one aspect of shadows backstory, which isnt even his primary motivation, ignoring the rest. If that were ALL shadow's backstory was, with that level of simplicity, then obviously we would be in agreement. But everyone knows it isnt and one of his primary motivations has to do with things that have nothing to do with the sonic narrative and are tonally far out of sync with the rest of the series.

I dont want this to get too far OT, so I'll get back on track here. My opinion is just that shadows backstory does not very well complement the simple and straightforward general narrative of the sonic series, which means he would require significant changes to make him fit....which may or may not fly with many of his hardcore fans. Do I think it is possible to make it work? Yes but again, the changes would likely turn off most fans of his that got into his character in the SA2-SHTH arc from 2001-2005.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I figured, that's why I played off with a laugh. 😛  

Ah. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

He's got two Mega-forms and regular appearances in Smash. I think he's doing fine.

I meant in terms of story-stuff. Where that specific character actually appears and/or matters.

I do like him being in Melee though, even if he's actually easy to mess up.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I just feel like people are getting hung up on trivia details when Shadow can (and would maybe have in order to work in a Mania Adventures style series), be easily boiled down to themes more familiar than people either realize or are willing to admit.

I suppose. It's primarily a matter of what's been the established mode for his involvement in a story and a bit of what people expect out of him concurrently.

Either way, he simply doesn't have as much versatility as many Sonic characters.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

As for Metal, not to hate on him, I just feel he gets more credit for being his own character then he really is. Like He's a credit to the Doctor's accomplishments first, and his own person is often a distant second to that.

I agree on some levels. Really, the individuality comes more from the fact that he is seen as THE robot Sonic than much overt characterization.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Dude, I was about to say, what the FoCK are you talkin about?! :joy: 

You cannot be a fan of this series and not know what I'm talking about with the whole child with aids killed by the government thing. ;)

Which is why I said shadow is a bit too convoluted. 

Not trying to pick on shadow either. The only character I actively dislike in the entire series is silver and thats primarily because I hate everything about the game he was introduced in. Shadow is a very cool design that was obviously going to be popular with kids. Just written too carelessly in my opinion...but that goes for a lot of Sonics history, not just him.

I appreciate how overall the episodes included elements like Tails being put-off by Sonic's recklessness, Sonic cheerfully dashing off to battle with Super Metal Sonic, and Knuckles' hostility to Sonic while also avoiding pitfalls seen in Modern Sonic's characterizations (ala Tails coming off as a stick in the mud/arrogant brat). The last one is especially notable since Eggman actually went to the step of framing Sonic for the MEs theft.

Did anyone notice the OVA callback with Tails? Tails used a handheld thing to try and get the upperhand over Metal Sonic once before.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Red said:

Did anyone notice the OVA callback with Tails? Tails used a handheld thing to try and get the upperhand over Metal Sonic once before.

I thought he was literally going to do the OVA thing at first and try to fry Metal's circuits with interference.  I like what actually happened was much better.

Egg looks a lot like his OVA counterpart when his glasses fall down, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

When the splitscreen of everyone attacking Metal came up, I'm sure Tails' attack was a callback to the Champions arc of the Archie comics. Same kick, anyway. 

Edited by HywelAtTheMoon
Typo

Sonic putting his hand on the ground while charging his peel-out for a second reminds me of...

tumblr_oz1g1vnKLI1v3myuxo1_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Tyson Hesse revealed some neat trivia about Metal's "Super transformation":

I think that actually makes Knuckles' finishing blow serve as two clever callbacks: Not just to his fight with Super Mecha Sonic, but how he's capable of literally punching the Super out of people!

I've been wanting to ask this myself, glad to see it got answered.

It would've been really cool if they would've had Metal Sonic flash that dark gold color Mecha Sonic turns before getting clobbered by Knuckles.  I wonder why robots and machinery seem to get more power from the Master Emerald than the Chaos Emeralds themselves, while we rarely see living things draw energy from the Master Emerald?  Maybe it's got something to do with the exhibitor/inhibitor relationship they have?

And hell yeah I hope we get to see Super Metal Sonic one day in the future, animated or otherwise.  Also cool that Hoshino designed Metal's power-up, but I mean...it was just yellow eyes, cool as the effect ended up being.

If I were to design Super Metal (and was allowed something more creative that 'make him yellow') I would do something like this

Spoiler

X.png.c69609de0635633ce39dc37cef59e698.png

Chaos Energy rather than joining with flesh, flows around his robotic body. The light is so bright, rest of his body seems black in comparison. Only his eyes glow, since they  always were the most "emotional", thus 'alive' part of him. And single eye glow is so strong too, it fillouts his whole visor.

I know it doesn't fit with Mecha Sonic, but I can come up with several excuses why it works different for Metal Sonic. Probably I would give it some special name, like "Master Metal" or "Mega Metal". Or perhaps "Hyper Metal" as little reference to OVA.

Nothing too interesting, but here's something I noticed while watching Part 5:

When the characters are paralysed by those traps, Sonic can still move himself a little bit.

ezgif-1-636a1c8c15.gif

Tails, on the other hand, can't move whatsoever.

ezgif-1-05f80552a8.gif

Even Super Metal Sonic can't seem to budge.

ezgif-1-c658fc8351.gif

Sonic's really tough.