Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

Hmm..I don't know, I think it would lose a bunch of its charm if it was voice acted. Browsing the comments on YouTube and Twitter etc there's a lot of love for the mute'ness and pantomime of the characters. Less comments wanting voices to be implemented.

I get the feeling that if they did do a series, a full one, and plonked dialogue in, no matter how good the voice acting, or the script, it wouldn't go down as well. It might lose a bunch of the interest it's getting by doing so. 

It is a tough one, as I can see what you mean, and things like Mega Drive handles the dialogue well..but I just don't know if dialogue would suit what they seem to be achieving quite well as it is. If it ain't broke and all that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Tom & Jerry had talking characters including Spike. Talking characters are really important for long plots.

Eeeeeh, Wall-E managed to do without dialog for a good half of a movie, and many people thought the humans were unnecessary as a focus.

Alternatively, they could take the approach of Eggman having a voice, due to being Human and all, while keeping the animals silent instead. That could get a lot of possible exposition out of the way without being as out-of-place and annoying as Tom and Jerry's voiced characters, or as unnecessary as Wall-E's humans.

I wouldn't say that I'd never want to see a good voice for classic Sonic, though. They need to find the perfect cast before that happens, though; don't just go slapping a Jaleel White sound-alike for the sake of it. That'd be awful.

34 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Eeeeeh, Wall-E managed to do without dialog for a good half of a movie, and many people thought the humans were unnecessary as a focus.

Alternatively, they could take the approach of Eggman having a voice, due to being Human and all, while keeping the animals silent instead. That could get a lot of possible exposition out of the way without being as out-of-place and annoying as Tom and Jerry's voiced characters, or as unnecessary as Wall-E's humans.

I wouldn't say that I'd never want to see a good voice for classic Sonic, though. They need to find the perfect cast before that happens, though; don't just go slapping a Jaleel White sound-alike for the sake of it. That'd be awful.

Or Roger Craig Smith

Count me in the camp who thinks that these work better dialogue free. Not that I'm opposed to the classic model getting a voice, but for the purposes of this toon and its format, pantomiming seems to be working VERY nicely. 

Anyway, this is rather spectacular! Honestly I'm kinda surprised they didn't try something similar to this years ago- just doing shorts with Eggman and Sonic going at it like Wile E. and Road Runner or Tom and Jerry. Either way, I really can't wait to see more. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Throughly enjoyed that. It felt very Tom and Jerry, no need for any vocal when it's done in that style. I really liked the music cues that were taken from the game and kinda skewed but were still recognisable. 

Do you think these shorts are just hype for Sonic Mania Plus being released or testing the water for potentially something bigger Cartoon/anime centric? 

Really adorable short! I also am "pro-mute" regarding any voice acting. The cast can be very expressive with their simple designs so being mute isn't really a problem.

Kinda makes me wish the series had been like this the whole time in a way...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still wondering about those holes at the start on Angel Island. It didn't seem like Eggman had made them, and if they were meant to be from the initial digging for the Phantom Ruby then Sonic wouldn't have been so curious about them.

Also the broken trees and some of the trees with holes in, in the sneak peak , it looked like Metal was coming across them, he didn't seem to have created them.

So who's going around putting holes in everything? Some might guess Knuckles but I doubt he would just go round destroying his home island.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those of you who enjoyed this for its Tom and Jerry qualities should check out Zig and Sharko, seriously.

But am I the only guy who loves this AND Sonic Boom? So many of you chided Boom for not being as serious or dark as Sonic X, for setting up a structure where Eggman almost has a casual relationship in getting constantly defeated by Sonic. And what do we get with this? A slightly different (voiceless) version of the same relationship, with Sonic letting Eggman explode for the sake of a joke, with no mortal consequences. They'll be fighting and chasing each other again with no consequences, just like Tom and Jerry, or Sonic Boom.

And I love it. I love both.

5 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I'm still wondering about those holes at the start on Angel Island. It didn't seem like Eggman had made them, and if they were meant to be from the initial digging for the Phantom Ruby then Sonic wouldn't have been so curious about them.

Also the broken trees and some of the trees with holes in, in the sneak peak , it looked like Metal was coming across them, he didn't seem to have created them.

So who's going around putting holes in everything? Some might guess Knuckles but I doubt he would just go round destroying his home island.

I'm guessing that there was a fight at some point...I feel like the other 6 Chaos Emeralds may have scattered across Angel Island. The damage we see is the result of Knuckles trying to protect the island.

In fact, I wonder if the Prison Capsule trap was met for someone else? Or did Eggman know Sonic would return soon? Eggman knew Sonic had the Green Chaos Emerald.

I wonder if the Phantom Heavies will make an appearance during these shorts? Could they have the Red and Grey Chaos Emeralds?

Something tells me Metal Sonic is being powered by one of the 4 Emeralds Eggman has.

The first episode is really cute. Lots of great expressions and character on display here, I definitely agree it feels like Sonic Mega Drive in motion. My biggest problem with it is how bland the backgrounds look. It's trying to keep them simple to match the character designs, but it looks rushed and cheap instead, in particular during the wide shot when Sonic's approaching the capsule, especially when in comparison to pretty much every other piece of Sonic animation for the last 25 years or Sonic CD and the OVA particularly. Even AOSTH's backgrounds felt more inspired, and I hate AOSTH's backgrounds.

I'm looking forward to the next four episodes, and I wouldn't mind if we got even more shorts in the future. As for a full fledged show... yeah I'm not really feeling it. This is pretty good proof of concept animation to show how expressive Hesse's style and writing can be, but you'd need to change a lot to make this into a sustainable work for 11 minutes, let alone 22. I think it's better than Boom and Underground, but those aren't high bars for me. There are four more episodes to change my mind though, so I'm keeping an open mind and will change my tune accordingly if they prove otherwise.

I LOVED IT (and I'm an Adventure fanboy who wants a Sonic Adventure 3 with deep stories like the first two ones, and I also can't wait for the new IDW comics hoping classic Sonic never appears in it to butcher the vibes).

It's best to keep the Classic and Modern brands separate. (= new products for each one, but never put them together like the failure of Sonic Forces).

KEEP THESE TWO SEPARATED!

1876d4abf65b6f2def5804204b84e807f962ae7c

Anybody can share fanarts for this animation short?

I loved this moment!!

DZkEo-lWkAAkBTH.jpg

The style reminds me of Sonic OVA:

Sonicandrobotnik.png

Finally watched it and it was glorious.

The animation, colors and mostly the expressions were on point! Really shows the character that Sonic and Eggman have in them. And comes with some amusing moments such as:

tumblr_p6f20rspFJ1u46670o5_r1_400.gif

Eggman laughing in soft trumpet sounds which had me in stitches

tumblr_p6f20rspFJ1u46670o8_r1_400.gif

Sonic baiting Eggman with the emerald and having a slap fight

tumblr_p6f20rspFJ1u46670o6_r2_400.gif

Sonic breaking out of the trap and the flickies help him as he gives off that smug look while going "lol bye" on Eggman

tumblr_p6f2stRurU1s777noo2_1280.png

And let's not forget Sonic's "I'm done with your shit" expressions. I tie them with Boom Sonic's expressions as pretty cool imo.

And THAT ENDING. Looking forward to more of these!

• Thumbs Up 1

If we ever get a Classic Sonic and co voiced, I'd like to seem hire fan voice actors over professionals. A main gripe with professional VA's is that they're in literally everything so they have a tendency to reuse voices, taking away the uniqueness of some characters. A fan has spent their life and time dedicated to being the perfect Sonic voice specifically. I'm sure they'd be chuffed if SEGA ever recognized them and gave them official work.

It's no surprise to me at all that this pantomime Classic Sonic works so well, but Eggman is even better than expected here.

Eggman is an unusual case because he's been pretty well-characterized and voiced for years. Mike Pollock's voice has come to define the character so much for me that I'm impressed by how much I liked this interpretation.

Jeepers, over 62K likes on it in less than 24 hours. That's 3x more than the actual teaser has received between the panel and now.

If that doesn't speak volumes I don't know what does. Tyson, Tee and the crew should be proud, it's getting praise across the board, and their passion, hard work and love for the material really shows through and people are noticing and responding in kind. Its like the release of Mania all over again.

Amazing job to all involved!!

• Fist Bump 1

13 hours ago, Tenko said:

Back when we first saw the preview I assumed the holes in the ground were left over from when Knuckles ambushed Super Sonic at the start of Sonic 3, but there's a lot of 'em so I guess that wouldn't make much sense.

I think Heavy King and/or the Heavies in general is the best guess since well...who else could be running around if not Eggman and Metal?

45 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Back when we first saw the preview I assumed the holes in the ground were left over from when Knuckles ambushed Super Sonic at the start of Sonic 3, but there's a lot of 'em so I guess that wouldn't make much sense.

I think Heavy King and/or the Heavies in general is the best guess since well...who else could be running around if not Eggman and Metal?

....Fang, Bark and Bean? They are thiefs/mercenaries, aren't they? Fang is a treasure hunter and Bean loves shiny things if we are going with the Archie characterization. They would fit well for someone trying to get some treasure in Angel Island.

Maybe they know about the origins and  location of the Phantom Ruby and tried to find it in that spot, but the HBH already found it first, so they made a lot of holes trying to find it with no success... That's my theory.

Screenshot_2018-03-31-17-20-54.thumb.png.f065127008417c43ba722e3f89b377e1.png

They sneaked in an easter egg (sketch in the style of Hirokazu Yasuhara!) (Designer for the original Sonic game, who worked with Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima)

Sketchy_Sonic-4158-150-150-100.png

Can you find it?

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

Yeah the multiple holes put me off the Knuckles theory too. The Heavies and/or Eggman while being the most logical seems in question since Sonic seemed quizzical about the holes on his return. If they were the holes from the Phantom Ruby excavation wouldn't Sonic have recognized them since he came across the retrieval of the Phantom Ruby at the start of Mania and would have seen the holes then?

The trees damage being caused by Metal also seems a logical explanation since he shows up in the scene in question. But he's coming towards them, so unless he fired off blasts, shooting the trees from a distance it may be he's not the culprit.

I'm just wondering if this damage to the island is part of the mystery of the shorts, along with the collecting of the other two emeralds and stopping Eggman. Metal was a surprise as in the panel they only said Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman would be present, so it gives hope to more characters and surprises in store. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Red said:

If we ever get a Classic Sonic and co voiced, I'd like to seem hire fan voice actors over professionals. A main gripe with professional VA's is that they're in literally everything so they have a tendency to reuse voices, taking away the uniqueness of some characters. A fan has spent their life and time dedicated to being the perfect Sonic voice specifically. I'm sure they'd be chuffed if SEGA ever recognized them and gave them official work.

Maybe have a narrator do all the work, ala Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids? 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, BaronGrackle said:

Those of you who enjoyed this for its Tom and Jerry qualities should check out Zig and Sharko, seriously.

But am I the only guy who loves this AND Sonic Boom? So many of you chided Boom for not being as serious or dark as Sonic X, for setting up a structure where Eggman almost has a casual relationship in getting constantly defeated by Sonic. And what do we get with this? A slightly different (voiceless) version of the same relationship, with Sonic letting Eggman explode for the sake of a joke, with no mortal consequences. They'll be fighting and chasing each other again with no consequences, just like Tom and Jerry, or Sonic Boom.

And I love it. I love both.

For my personal distaste toward Boom, it makes out their relationship to be literal frenemies; with evidence of Eggman stalking Sonic and secretly wanting his approval. I don't think that Boom Eggman has a true hatred against Sonic, and is only being "evil" as some sort of overcompensation; A big turn off for this longtime Egg-fan.

Also, Eggman would get comically burnt from his contraptions exploding in most if not all the classic games.

burntegg.PNG.3111304c9630577d683f2b0f86564df2.PNG

*Starts watching first episode and gets to Eggman and Sonic in a slap fight*

At last, the duel we have all been waiting for...  Can we just get a whole bunch of these together and make an anthology show out of them Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry style?  As hilarious as Boom is, I wouldn't mind getting an extra show.  Besides Tyson Hesse's talent needs to be fully utilised.