Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

Been wondering on whether Mania Plus would include a video gallery that has all five Mania Adventures shorts included (alongside other animated stuff like the opening/ending scenes and the pre-order trailer). That would be great.

Also worth noting that Episode 1 is now over one million views on YouTube. Neat milestone achieved.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 2

6 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

Been wondering on whether Mania Plus would include a video gallery that has all five Mania Adventures shorts included (alongside other animated stuff like the opening/ending scenes and the pre-order trailer). That would be great.

Also worth noting that Episode 1 is now over one million views on YouTube. Neat milestone achieved.

Obnoxious hot take is obnoxious.

About that video gallery, perhaps even include an exclusive animated clip as well, like with Unleashed? 

It just occurred to me that the beginning of this essentially does away with the "Classic was an Illusion" theory.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

It just occurred to me that the beginning of this essentially does away with the "Classic was an Illusion" theory.

Pfft. It just changed itself to modern was the illusion. Also 1M views. Nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know those action or sci-fi movies where there's a black hole generator or maybe a sun generator, and the heroes destroy the generator, but it's too late because the blackhole/sun has already become large enough that it's self-sustaining?

The Classicverse has grown so much that it has become self-sustaining, growing larger even after the Ruby's destruction.

(Assuming the Phantom Ruby actually is destroyed.)

• Promotion 1

I wonder if they have a reason for the split in their screwy behind the scenes cannon or if it was just a retcon when they decided to dabble more in the now "Classic Dimension" after Mania's popularity.

Like did the events of Generations and messing with time cause what was once Sonic's past, to turn into a whole new dimension.

Or is it more, damn this was popular, we should do more with it, but we don't want it to mess with what we may or may not do with the "main" branch of games etc. So let's split them up. Screw continuity they are different dimensions now for those that bother to keep track. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Terriful said:

Pfft. It just changed itself to modern was the illusion. Also 1M views. Nice.

...What? 

13 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I wonder if they have a reason for the split in their screwy behind the scenes cannon or if it was just a retcon when they decided to dabble more in the now "Classic Dimension" after Mania's popularity.

Like did the events of Generations and messing with time cause what was once Sonic's past, to turn into a whole new dimension.

Or is it more, damn this was popular, we should do more with it, but we don't want it to mess with what we may or may not do with the "main" branch of games etc. So let's split them up. Screw continuity they are different dimensions now for those that bother to keep track. 

It's obviously the latter.

25 minutes ago, Razule said:

Modern Sonic is an illusion.

Even though Classic is the one who transported into and out of the world because of the Phantom Ruby, which was found by Eggman? Okay

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Even though Classic is the one who transported into and out of the world because of the Phantom Ruby, which was found by Eggman? Okay

It's an elaborate holographic illusionary world. Nothing is real. You'd know this if you followed the lore

I think of the whole "separate dimensions" thing like Back to the Future Part II where Biff stole the almanac and created as doc described an "alternate reality" where he became corrupt and powerful and married to Marty's mother.  Sonic's alternate reality was created when Robotnik forked up time using the Time Eater in Generations and Classic Sonic/Tails somehow escaped the effects along with Modern Sonic.  In order to "fix" reality, they had beat the Time Eater so they could get back to their point in the timeline and Classic Sonic/Tails could go back to their's just like Marty and Doc could go back to 1985(the reality they lost access to when Biff created his with the almanac) once the almanac was destroyed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thus creating an alternate "modern" universe/timeline version of the events that played out in Sonic - Sonic 3K called Sonic Pocket Adventure.

It all makes sense now...wait...no it still doesn't.

Well, I've checked this short, and, YES, YES, AFTER SO MANY YEARS WE GOT A GOOD SONIC CARTOON!

It has no edgy stories, no awful writing, it doesn't even attempt to have a story: In other words, Mania Adventures is basically the "How to-" guide for any company that decides to make a Sonic cartoon. 

It's just nice, colorful fun, and I appreciate that.

I loved it. It was simple, harmless, and fun and perfectly captured the cheeky, Mickey Mouse-like nature of Sonic's origins. As much as I've enjoyed all of Sonic's animated ventures (well...apart from Sonic Underground...), this kind of short web series could work wonders for improving Sonic's standing in the wider community.

All they have to do now is ditch the 3D style of the main series videogames and just make a title completely in this style, kind of like Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

31 minutes ago, Honey_Flash said:

That was lame.

Sonic Unleashed's shorts, and Night of the Werehog, were WAY better than this.

Out of curiosity, why? I can't say I feel the same, though I can at least understand why Night of the Werehog could be considered better.

35 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Out of curiosity, why? I can't say I feel the same, though I can at least understand why Night of the Werehog could be considered better.

I'm not good at giving large elaborate reasons,  but here's my thoughts:

-the Hand-waved reference to the start of Sonic 3 (I CLAPPED WHEN THEY REFERENCED "X")

-the Expressions remind me more of Gravity Falls than Sonic for some reason,

-the part before Sonic breaks the capsule is a low rent version (and Condensed) of Sonic CD's intro

-the Genesis-era chiptune music that plays during it feels annoying, dumb and unnecessary (again, I CLAPPED WHEN THEY REFERENCED "X")

-the part where the spikes pop up look poorly animated

-Eggman's (non-voice acting) laugh doesn't mesh well with a short with sound effects, (INB4 NO VOICE ACTING....just have hesse himself laugh since most animators voice their own cartoons for a lot of the time)

-Sonic's angry stare expression looks some dumb cal-arts cartoon facial expression,

-sound effects that sound like a dated cartoon from the 60s (i think?)

-the music constantly switches all over the place per moment,

-Eggman's (about to cry face, or whatever cartoon face cliche face that is) looks dumb,

-the sound effects playing on the miniature-monitor are annoying,

In between all those, the expression just felt flat, that's surprising considering this was from Hesse and it's Sonic-related. possibly because it was just something to expand Mania's relevance, even if it was done with a small budget in mind.

1 hour ago, Honey_Flash said:

I'm not good at giving large elaborate reasons,  but here's my thoughts:

-the Hand-waved reference to the start of Sonic 3 (I CLAPPED WHEN THEY REFERENCED "X")

-the part before Sonic breaks the capsule is a low rent version (and Condensed) of Sonic CD's intro

-the Genesis-era chiptune music that plays during it feels annoying, dumb and unnecessary (again, I CLAPPED WHEN THEY REFERENCED "X")

-Eggman's (non-voice acting) laugh doesn't mesh well with a short with sound effects, (INB4 NO VOICE ACTING....just have hesse himself laugh since most animators voice their own cartoons for a lot of the time)

-Sonic's angry stare expression looks some dumb cal-arts cartoon facial expression,

-the music constantly switches all over the place per moment,

-Eggman's (about to cry face, or whatever cartoon face cliche face that is) looks dumb,

In between all those, the expression just felt flat, that's surprising considering this was from Hesse and it's Sonic-related. possibly because it was just something to expand Mania's relevance, even if it was done with a small budget in mind.

pZQ8KVA.gif

I mean, wow.

No dudete, just kudos for having such a different opinion.

You're free to have your own opinion, but you seem hung up on very minor aspects of the short. 

And I'm pretty sure the intro isn't just a "just because" reference to Sonic 3 either, it's calling back to the Sonic Mania intro and the HBH digging up the Ruby.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the title screen to Sonic 3, the fact that Sonic is Angel Island, or the fact that this takes place directly after the end of Sonic Forces.

c7256eb4384674ec7239819103d6af43.jpg

latest?cb=20180320192644

...I'm not really seeing it...

So you wished the chase between Sonic and Eggman was longer?

So you don't want any background music in general? Or do you not like hearing the game music from the actual games?

It's not that different from how Pop-Up Spikes work in the games.

Also, I think that was the joke.

I disagree because

1. During the Genesis Era, lots of video games enemies and Villains did this

2. There's no point in having Classic Eggman laugh if Classic Sonic can't laugh. It's bad enough in Generations and Forces and it shouldn't be like that here

-Sonic's angry stare expression looks some dumb cal-arts cartoon facial expression

Which one? Despite a variety of different artstyles, some of them seem to be well animated.

-the music constantly switches all over the place per moment

What cartoons, with sound, doesn't do this?

That's the joke.

I can't think of a single timer or alarm that doesn't sound annoying, besides those in set to silent.

The only thing I don't like about the expressions is that all of them are kind of leaked because of the Expressions Sheets given out at SXSW.

While it's nice to play scavenger hunt with it through the episode, it feel it kind of spoils the episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_p7gbwoX3f61rplhyso1_1280.png

A sample of Part 2 was revealed on the Sonic Official Livestream today.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

During the stream this episode is revealed to be called "Sonic & Tails"!  It is interesting then, whether Metal Sonic will actually be in this next episode or it will be later, but simply previewed early on! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Since the next episode is "Sonic & Tails", and the previous episode had the teaser with Metal. Do you think it will be a tag team match vs Metal as the antagonist in this upcoming episode? Or do you think there will be teasers with Metal's journey across Angel Island at the end of each episode culminating in a final battle of sorts in episode 5? 

Edit : So Aaron just confirmed that the next episode will drop next week. I wonder if that means as early as Saturday or later in said week. The wait for each episode is a killer!