Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

I thought it was pretty alright, although it definitely feels like a filler episode. There's five episodes in total and the first two are dedicated to exposition and vague hints. Pacing wise, I'm interested to see where it goes from this because of that. I hope when the plot actually thickens things don't feel too compressed. 

Side note: I've got a feeling that since Knuckles is introduced in Episode 3, it's possible they might introduce Mighty and Ray in Episodes 4 and 5 and tie it closer to Mania Plus.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

I'd rather they use the last two episodes to actually finish the story they've been telling. Stick them in for a quick cameo, maybe, but we don't need the whole of Mania Adventures to be character introductions.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Actually upon watching it again, I  really liked it. There's a lot more I appreciate in it and loads of cute easter eggs.

One thing I really like is how they've handled the Sonic vs Eggman rivalry. Eggman's attacks aren't as lethal as they'd appear in real life, which is why Sonic can get whacked by a drill at full force, go flying in the air and still land up okay. I creates a sense that Sonic and Eggman are constantly at each other, attack and injure each other, but never realistically kill each other. I know this seems obvious as it's cartoony, but in the world of Sonic's dark and edgy days you never know. Especially as some people like Eggman to be really dark and villainous (which I personally find stupid and not fitting in the original spirit of Classic Sonic). I just can't find it believable that Sonic would have an almost friendly rivalry with Eggman that way, as indicated (brilliantly) in the first episode, where Sonic looks at Eggman to see his reaction when the flickies fly him away:

image.thumb.png.88770d35f6d8defe499243395c30ba73.png

It also alleviates a problem I had with the first episode, where Sonic left Eggman seemingly to die at the end :P

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Kind of surprised by the reactions here. I guess I just inherently enjoy things more when emphasis is put on how vital and fun the Sonic and Tails dynamic is. Seriously, while watching the fight scene, the first thing that came to mind is "This is totally what Sonic Colors should have been."

Well, I agree. Two characters is better than one...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got done watching part two not too long ago. I actually am loving the Sonic/Tails dynamic going on there. And I 100 percent agree that this is something that has been neglected for a while with the recent characterization of Tails being more of a coward. I mean Tails does have fears. Like his fear of lightning, which is emphasized with Sonic OVA and for sure with the updates done to Mania. But Tails was never a full blown coward. He would always fight back against Eggman and his robots.

At least Mania is slowly undoing the BS characterization of Tails, Sonic Team has been recently using. Even if this is for 'classic' Tails.

New Mania Adventures T-shirt for sale on the Sega Shop.

sgatvtatpp168fb_d941314c-ef10-4122-af81-

This looks neat for sure. Nothing says you're a fan of Mania that a shirt that has the heads of the characters in their Mania art style.

Edited by Ashwalking Bat

Surprised no one mentioned Eggman's using an upgraded version of the Mystic Cave Zone Boss.

s2-mcz-boss1img1.png

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 3

28 minutes ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

Just got done watching part two not too long ago. I actually am loving the Sonic/Tails dynamic going on there. And I 100 percent agree that this is something that has been neglected for a while with the recent characterization of Tails being more of a coward. I mean Tails does have fears. Like his fear of lightning, which is emphasized with Sonic OVA and for sure with the updates done to Mania. But Tails was never a full blown coward. He would always fight back against Eggman and his robots.

At least Mania is slowly undoing the BS characterization of Tails, Sonic Team has been recently using. Even if this is for 'classic' Tails.

This looks neat for sure. Nothing says you're a fan of Mania that a shirt that has the heads of the characters in their Mania art style.

Now I will say it. Mania's spritework and this cartoon made Tails one...

... small bitchy genius badass.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Welp, I have a shaky feeling Episode 3 will be Eggman tricking Knuckles into fighting Sonic again because well we've gotta hit those Sonic cliches. 

Yeah, really underwhelmed with this one. The animation was fantastic as always, but I found it odd that Tails was somewhat sidelined til Sonic went in and got his ass kicked alone. There isn't a lot of funny moments either outside of a few funny expressions and while the animation is glorious, I wish Tails for his introductory episode could've got something a lot more entertaining. 

Think this is a sign about how in such a short story, facial expressions can only do so much. I'm sure this was a worry to lots of people when this was going to be a silent cartoon.

Episode 2 was good! most funny part was seeing Sonic get machine slapped across the sky with his rings popping out. Sonic cartoons often seem to sadly ignore Rings and other game elements, so i'm happy to see more of them included here.

Hope we get a good episode for Metal Sonic. I'm guessing he'll be in the last one.

• Fist Bump 1

Public Service Announcement : This will be a recurring opinion on the release of each episode.

These are bloody FANTASTIC and the one thing that disappoints is the length, these NEED to be a full blown cartoon series, or at least have a longer run time if they ever decide to do another set. Yes it takes a length of time to animate, a lot of hard work etc, and it shows, these are quality pieces of work, but there are people voicing opinion that they would buy a set of these on DVD/Bluray, that they want a physical release like Mania. They can make back the cost of production via selling them.

The wait between each episode kills me inside!!

32 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Episode 2 was good! most funny part was seeing Sonic get machine slapped across the sky with his rings popping out. Sonic cartoons often seem to sadly ignore Rings and other game elements, so i'm happy to see more of them included here.

Hope we get a good episode for Metal Sonic. I'm guessing he'll be in the last one.

And an IDW tie-in to show the mysterious villain is... also Metal Sonic.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

image.thumb.png.88770d35f6d8defe499243395c30ba73.png

It also alleviates a problem I had with the first episode, where Sonic left Eggman seemingly to die at the end :P

Maybe he really did die and now we're dealing with Eggman Nega who's disguised himself to fool everyone. Mark my words!

But yeah that was a cute episode. I do find it weird Tails didn't just follow right off the bat but I loved the bit where Sonic got smacked all the way back to the beach so I mean, I can't complain really.

• Thumbs Up 2

No Metal Sonic. 0/10

Honestly, another cute animation. First one was way funnier though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I loved the hell out of this one. It did everything I could hope for. Tails is as he should be at long last in animated form, not since the OVA has he been this good in animated form/cutscene. He actually is useful, has speed, is adorable, and has his big heart. It has Sonic not be an overpowered god and Eggman despite being silly actually gets a one up on Sonic. He smacks him way out there for a home run. Them returning the favor was great in the end, and Eggman stealing the Tornado.....oh man I can't wait to see Tails frustrated adorable face on that. Yeah it's not as funny as the first one but so much more heart warming to see. It's like someone lit up a bright light in the darkness in my sonic fan heart.

Or it's my Tails fanboyism finally getting stroked after being kicked in the dick for years and years and years. I am gonna be so sad when these cartoons end.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Kudos to Capper from Retro pointing this out, there's some neat shoutouts:

unknown.png

I'm in agreement with others that the first episode was stronger in regards to comedy; but on the flipside, I think this might have the stronger attempt at setting up the plot (despite clocking under three minutes). Part 2 actually establishes a location for where the red emerald is (compared to Sonic just happening to have the green emerald) and the stinger does more to set up the plot of events for the next episode better than Episode I did. Eggman scoring a win against Sonic  with his mech (albeit a slapstick-induced win) and Sonic and Tails directly fighting Eggman together is also good to see.

With that said, I think I'm convinced that for the story Heese and co. are trying to set up, 2-3 minutes for each episode isn't enough. It's good for one-off shorts, but not enough for an overarching plot (especially when they're still trying to have some action/comedy sequences to them). They would had taken longer to produce, but I think these 5-7 minutes would had been the ideal length for the episodes to be properly fleshed out.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

I also think episode 2 had a more interesting story and better action than episode 1. May not have been as funny, but the bromance with Tails is adorable. Overall Ep2 is better.

1 hour ago, Space☆Yeow said:

Hide contents

unknown.png

Spoiler

Yeah, that is such a nice little reference.

Also, if you look at the very top of the image where it says "91 09 09 02 01 01 02 04". Now remove the "9" from the start and replace it with "0" and you get the DEBUG MODE code! I think Tyson made a mistake in putting 91 instead of 01 :P

• Thumbs Up 3

37 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

I also think episode 2 had a more interesting story and better action than episode 1. May not have been as funny, but the bromance with Tails is adorable. Overall Ep2 is better.

Hide contents

Yeah, that is such a nice little reference.

Also, if you look at the very top of the image where it says "91 09 09 02 01 01 02 04". Now remove the "9" from the start and replace it with "0" and you get the DEBUG MODE code! I think Tyson made a mistake in putting 91 instead of 01 :P

And on the bottom left 19 65 9 17 Yuji Naka was born. So map full of references ;)

Haha yeah it's double, sorry.

5 minutes ago, superman43 said:

And on the bottom left 19 65 9 17 Yuji Naka was born. So map full of references ;)

Haha yeah it's double, sorry.

Also, you can hear a little bit of “Fist Bump” just before Sonic attacks Eggman’s drill Machine.