Awoo.

Sonic Mania Adventures

Sonictrainer

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Because the Time Eater cause a considerable split by having the two Sonic's meet and then the Phantom Eater threw things further out of whack.

Is this canon?

2 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Is this canon?

Might as well be.

Generations straight up said he was the past version and retcon or not, that's still officially published. Also, this alternate dimension stuff came out more or less because of the Phantom Ruby's inclusion, so yeah.

This Mania short was one of the purest, most wholesome things to come out of the franchise! 10/10

latest?cb=20130117175354

This was probably brought up already, but I loved that Eggman was wearing his "Man of the Year" PJs at the end! I need me some merch of that

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how Eggman always wears pink pajamas, even in Boom if you remember, it's in line with the character. He's a proud feminist after all XD

Tyson provided a bit of insight in response to a members question over on Retro:

This was definitely intentional. When pitching it I always described Metal as broken/depressed because it's not one or the other. You can only do so much without words, but the subtext is not just that Metal is "defeated" but that he simply doesn't care that Amy is there. The last time they tried to use Amy as bait the plan failed and an endless Bowser/Peach scenario is thematically something I'm not interested in. Even if Metal could move, he probably just wouldn't bother. Amy brings him home because in his current state he doesn't seemingly pose a threat anymore, so in her naive sweetness she doesn't see the harm in returning him. 

When Eggman takes Metal back there's definitely an ambiguity to it, since Eggman's expression is a very clear "whatever, might as well bring it inside" but the music is telling you that it's a very sweet moment. I didn't foresee the music as going into such a great emotional swell but I liked it when I heard it because I think it's funny that this begrudging resignation is as "sweet" as Eggman gets. He's not emotionally moved by the flower or bow, he rolls his eyes at them but from Amy's perspective she's done the perfect job. Eggman still sees Metal as kind of a lost cause at the end because like you said, he brought him inside to rest his feet on him.

If there's any real lingering sentimentality I wanted it to be that in the ending image Metal is staring at the flower in fascination because he doesn't quite understand what just happened either. As a killer robot he was just the "victim" of a great act of kindness that he didn't particularly deserve and that it could be reaching him in some way.  Anyway, that's all the subtext and even if the common read is that the short is just cute and sweet I'm %100 okay with it because then the audience is seeing the situation through Amy's perspective which is one without cynicism. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I have to say I really like how Tyson describes Amy's POV as one without any cynicism. It fits with her never give up/be discouraged persistence and can be seen as rooted in her natural optimism and kindness. It really helps explain why she seems so sincerely caring here. Again, I really like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/20/2018 at 6:14 PM, MadmanRB said:

I did like this siort and for once (outside of Boom and Fleetway) i didnt hate Amy Rose :D

its almost like the character just needed to be given to someone who knew what they were doing

35 minutes ago, Scape said:

its almost like the character just needed to be given to someone who knew what they were doing

Not really. Back to the Basics is pretty easy.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Yeah, honestly, I'm sorta stretchin to imagine Amy doing all this.

Though to be fair, I don't think she's had much "interaction" with Metal since.

Bit late to the party, but to the people who say writing the modern characters well is too hard because they’ve been so all over the place...

To me, the obvious fix is to retcon out everything after Adventure 2 and continue from there. At that point, the characters were literally just the classic characters, but with dialogue and some development.

It’d also make the lore and timeline much easier to work with, and past weirdness could be fixed. Like, Knuckles could keep his job as Angel Island’s guardian, maybe with Amy as Sonic and Tails’ go-to teammate instead. And Shadow could stay dead or be brought back more gracefully.

17 hours ago, MasterDisaster64 said:

Knuckles could keep his job as Angel Island’s guardian, maybe with Amy as Sonic and Tails’ go-to teammate instead

How dare you suggest the concept of Sonic and Tails actually treating Amy like a friend and Knuckles taking his job seriously? This series couldn't survive a single game that doesn't wank off S3&K.

• Chuckle 3

It's such a simple story, but with more layers to it than you think, like Tyson Hesse said Amy's lack of cynicism, and seeing Eggman as emotional when in fact he is not at all, he rolls his eyes on the flower, and just takes Metal in to lay his feet on him.

I wish the modern games would have this effective storytelling, instead of overcomplicate it with "I'm not weak" edgelord without specifiying if they're a mobian, a robot, an android, a new lifeform, a normal citizen or a mercenary...

14 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Maybe, but she's also great in the IDW comics (and formerly the Archie comics) especially issue 2 had a perfect modern Amy. The recurring thing is that there are people who actually care to make her more than just Sonic obsessed with this and that comics.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

You know, Tyson Hesse's comment on Amy's lack of cynicism makes me think of this scene from SA2:

44 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Being more than Sonic obsessed, to be clear here, is not the starting point...it's where she goes as a character.

Fair.

Also, I think I phrased my post wrong. I said "something more than Sonic obsessed", but she really hasn't been that in the last few games (Though, I have yet to play Forces). Last time I saw her was in Lost World where all I remember her doing was spout some exposition and fake die. She's just boring.

IDW maintained her crush on Sonic, but gives her more than that and makes her fun to me.  So I guess it's more of a combination of things.

Just...have her character actually be dynamic. Not saying she has to be this multifaceted character, but showing there is more to her beyond just crushing on Sonic isn't a bad thing 

28 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Just...have her character actually be dynamic. Not saying she has to be this multifaceted character, but showing there is more to her beyond just crushing on Sonic isn't a bad thing 

SA1 was the last time Sonic Team gave a shit about Amy before they stopped giving a shit about everyone

Amy was at her best in Sonic Heroes she loved Sonic, she was sassy, determine and cute being more exciting to watch than both Boom or IDW Amy in Sonic Chronicles she made up a boyfriend to play with Sonic's feeling that was fun to watch in the IDW comics it talks about how grown she is with her just doing mission jobs and Boom hardly shows Amy in it and when it does the show picks on her both of them keep saying she has a big crush on Sonic like before but don't ever show it actions speak louder than words.   

8 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy was at her best in Sonic Heroes she loved Sonic, she was sassy, determine and cute being more exciting to watch than both Boom or IDW Amy in Sonic Chronicles she made up a boyfriend to play with Sonic's feeling that was fun to watch in the IDW comics it talks about how grown she is with her just doing mission jobs and Boom hardly shows Amy in it and when it does the show picks on her both of them keep saying she has a big crush on Sonic like before but don't ever show it actions speak louder than words.   

You define Amy way too much by her crush on Sonic, which is exactly why she's not that popular. Like, what's wrong with her having other traits besides just liking another character

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You define Amy way too much by her crush on Sonic, which is exactly why she's not that popular. Like, what's wrong with her having other traits besides just liking another character

Amy is define by her crush like Sonic is define by his speed but with him they don't say he's still fast but he's doing something else now and what are you talking about Amy was and still is popular even when she was crushing on Sonic. I don't see why Amy shouldn't be in love with Sonic more then being a mission runner, grown, being specifically caring or robot smasher its not like she didn't have other traits before so why do they keep pushing her to do more random things phasing her crush out with each game . 

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

You know, Tyson Hesse's comment on Amy's lack of cynicism makes me think of this scene from SA2:

I thought you were gonna pick a dead cut line from in-game.