Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

I don't mind a story for the new Racing game. Sonic Rivals 1 & 2 had a story, but it was barely there. Just excuses for the characters to race each other.

Something just came to my mind. There's a rumour floating around about a Star Fox racing game in development and a lot of speculation about a Crash Team Racing remake being revealed at E3.

How do you all think the Sonic Racing game will stand up against these? Can the world handle three furry racing games all at once?!

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

How do you all think the Sonic Racing game will stand up against these? Can the world handle three furry racing games all at once?!

Transformed has a stellar reputation behind it, sold well and was multiplatorm If this new one is being developed by the same cast and crew, then it can lean back on that pedigree with confidence - even if this new one goes in a different direction.

Coexisting with the Starfox game shouldn't be a challenge. SASRT hung with the biggest big boy in the Kart racing genre, Mario Kart, so the Nintendo exclusive StarFox license on its best day shouldn't put up a stiffer challenge than that. A Crash title would be a bigger threat, but if its more of a remake than a new entry - then again its not as big a issue as it could have been.

I think it'll be fine

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JingleBoy said:

Something just came to my mind. There's a rumour floating around about a Star Fox racing game in development and a lot of speculation about a Crash Team Racing remake being revealed at E3.

And then Microsoft throws their hat in the ring with a Battletoad racer...

That'd would be epic. Realisticaly, the only racer we're getting is Sonic, because we already know it exists. But that's just me, I don't buy rumors anymore. A CTR remake would be a dream come true tho', and Sonic would have to step it up in order to compete with it... If VV don't fuck up the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's also assuming the hypothetical Crash racer and the Sonic racer are released anywhere close to each other. The Star Fox racer I could maybe see being close, but Acti aren't going to want to cannibalise Spyro's sales with another of their own franchise. 

Whatever happened to the concept or racing that was Sonic Riders? That's a better racing game than generic kart driving in my opinion.

The Riders games felt more like a kind of racing game that Sonic really fits well into.

Not particularly enticed about a kart spin-off, but please tell me I'm not alone hoping that echoing Sonic Forces, classic Sonic will be in and that he gets his little car from Sonic Drift.

Sonic-Drift-2-Cyclone-Art.png

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Kellan said:

New teaser image:

It’s a car.

Meanwhile Pokémon showed off their Switch game and announced Gen 8 is coming next year. 

22 minutes ago, Jango said:

I really wish Sonic's car is red this time around, be it Classic or Modern. 

Going off the teaser image, it looks like it's going to be blue with red coloring the pipes.

3 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I'll add to that - here is the actual Walmart page that has screenshots and some information.

5f15f594-3365-4892-8370-675658d01c94_4.6

Is that a new character on the left?

03de6437-9cf8-4f57-bdaf-8edc792c3e08_3.944e4d5cc-7e98-4f89-8732-19ceb823ebb1_3.fd694f803-afea-49d3-a863-71801cd55722_3.2

Planet Wisp looks like a fun track.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, GuyWithThePie said:

Why are Sonic's eyebrows so thick?

Right? It looks like he was stung by Charmy.

Interesting to see if we will be getting gimmicks... guess we will have to wait for a trailer to see.

Hope it is a team based gimmick but I don't see that.

Other than that the visuals are impressive and I can't wait to see more.

Nice. Those visuals look great. I wonder if there's something coming today or tomorrow, considering this leak happened?

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

5f15f594-3365-4892-8370-675658d01c94_4.6

Is that a new character on the left?

03de6437-9cf8-4f57-bdaf-8edc792c3e08_3.944e4d5cc-7e98-4f89-8732-19ceb823ebb1_3.fd694f803-afea-49d3-a863-71801cd55722_3.2

Planet Wisp looks like a fun track.

Looks fun! I can't wait to see some gameplay footage!

• 1 month later...

Yoink!

So I was doing the editing for the comic solicit article and it has both the TSR comic and IDW StH#10. Now, as part of the process for that, I look at the blurb and sort of reword it in my own way with a bit more flair and maybe some hints with insider knowledge if I know more about behind-the-scenes comic stuff. 

Well, something struck me as odd about the solicit for TSR comic, and I think it'd actually be suitable to discuss it in the game topic. Because the solicit never actually talks about the comic story, all it says is that before the events described in the solicit you can read the comic for a story that leads into the game. 

No, the solicit seems to be describing the game plot. 

So, we're having Sonic and Co taken to another world and the teams having to race to rescue themselves, apparently. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

6 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Yoink!

So I was doing the editing for the comic solicit article and it has both the TSR comic and IDW StH#10. Now, as part of the process for that, I look at the blurb and sort of reword it in my own way with a bit more flair and maybe some hints with insider knowledge if I know more about behind-the-scenes comic stuff. 

Well, something struck me as odd about the solicit for TSR comic, and I think it'd actually be suitable to discuss it in the game topic. Because the solicit never actually talks about the comic story, all it says is that before the events described in the solicit you can read the comic for a story that leads into the game. 

No, the solicit seems to be describing the game plot. 

So, we're having Sonic and Co taken to another world and the teams having to race to rescue themselves, apparently. 

Hey, it explains why there are tracks in places they'd never be constructed, like Planet Wisp.

So, it's one of those plots... Trapped in a tournament and forced to play, it's nothing new. Then again, racing games aren't known nor played for their stories, it's just an excuse plot which works for the game.

• Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

...... Sooooo.... That means the losing teams would be stuck in prison or whatever random space limbo this game takes place in, huh?
So you're essentially dooming the teams you defeat? Hah, that makes their aggresive trash talk even darker.

Yeah yeah, obviously the game won't have a dark ending and will go back to status quo.
Then again, with how Sonic's friends barely have a presence in recent games, they might as well have them all trapped in another dimension after this game.

Whatever, we'll see if this rumor/ description is true.
Either way, stories in racing games are always deliciously stupid, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

...... Sooooo.... That means the losing teams would be stuck in prison or whatever random space limbo this game takes place in, huh?
So you're essentially dooming the teams you defeat? Hah, that makes their aggresive trash talk even darker.

Yeah yeah, obviously the game won't have a dark ending and will go back to status quo.
Then again, with how Sonic's friends barely have a presence in recent games, they might as well have them all trapped in another dimension after this game.

Whatever, we'll see if this rumor/ description is true.
Either way, stories in racing games are always deliciously stupid, so I'm looking forward to it.

I hope they have real cutscenes like Riders 1 and not photos like Free Riders.

• Thumbs Up 2