Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Dang, I was expecting a new modern main series Sonic game, a Sonic movie tie-in game, Sonic Boom continuation or cancellation and Sonic movie news. Good thing I didn't bet anything. But I think this  game should be more than just a racer like the last 2 all-stars games. Here's what I think they could do, have 3 different game types. Style 1. which includes gameplay from Sonic All-Stars racing Transformed Style 2. which includes Riders Zero-Gravity style gameplay and Style 3. no vehicle, just boost gameplay like a cross between Sonic Rivals 2,Colors multiplayer, Unleashed, Generations and Forces. As for playable characters (if it's a Sonic only racer), I think the options would be; Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Sticks (I doubt they would include her), Rouge, Jet, Wave, Storm,  and Infinite, now maybe throw in some console exclusive characters like Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Crash, Spyro or Jak & Daxter for Playstation, Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox (they did it before), Mario and maybe Donkey Kong for Nintendo. As for tracks there could be Green Hill, City Escape, Metropolitan Highway, Crisis City, Blizzard Peaks and others.

It it wern't for all the car themed merchandise we've been seeing leading up to this, The Sonic "R" in the logo would have lead me to believe the car shots and the engine revs were part of an elaborate ruse to bring back an on-foot mechanic.

Hmm, maybe they still can. I could see them making an elaborate run-to-your-vehicle lead up to the start of a race. I thought the Riders series did an excellent job with its pre-race shenanigans. Imagine a system that expands on that mindset and literally runs with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Biggs98 said:

Calling it now, it's gonna be called Super Sonic Racing. Sonic Racing is too basic, Super Sonic Racing sounds rad as hell and is a callback to Sonic R which fits in with the "R" reference in the logo

rr.jpg.d780b4e3d16854be5cd36d92f6ace2b7.jpgr.thumb.jpg.25b8f3dbeecb0ba75bc4d666477ba541.jpg

IDENTICAL. Yeah, I'd say this is probably going to be Sonic R 2, or they wouldn't have bothered ripping the logo.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

rr.jpg.d780b4e3d16854be5cd36d92f6ace2b7.jpgr.thumb.jpg.25b8f3dbeecb0ba75bc4d666477ba541.jpg

IDENTICAL. Yeah, I'd say this is probably going to be Sonic R 2, or they wouldn't have bothered ripping the logo.

I would say that too but...

Why the car in the intro?

Unless he cranked it up to park it in the garage? XD

Plot twist: It's actually Sonic Drift 3 and the car that's in the shadows is the Cyclone

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Assuming that this is a Sonic-Only Racer, was thinking of who the roster could be.

Likely Not Happening:

• Tails Doll

It is interesting that Aaron spoke the name of Tails Doll some time earlier during the presentation!  Of course,  is remains known as a fun and weird character outside of Sonic R within the overall community, but, maybe there is something more to it being mentioned.

The potential for multiple modes/formats of racing feels much more real due to the inclusion of and emphasis on the R logo !!  And, the same goes for the likelihood of a new instant classic soundtrack! 

Well they certainly have more than enough characters to do a Sonic characters only racer.

Granted I rather it be a 3rd Sega all-star roster, but they always seem to run into difficulties on the character roster, so understandable if that's not happening.

I wouldn't read too much into the "R". A car was shown and Sumo Digital are likely making this, right? So it's just a reference, probably because it's the first big Sonic-focussed racer since Sonic R.

That and it's been confirmed not to be a sequel (see the tweet posted by Sonikko on the previous page).

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Just showing how the logo could be, the Super could be bigger though.

Damn it fits well, I want this to be the title

DYc4sFEU8AAgg-S.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Dangerous ball tower engin said:

I would say that too but...

Why the car in the intro?

Unless he cranked it up to park it in the garage? XD

Amy drove a car in Sonic R though.

amymodel.png

Unfortunately she was the worst racer in the game. She goes slower than molasses, has a near-useless ranged attack, and her one benefit (that she can go offroad with no decrease in speed) doesn't really do a whole lot of good because its not like she'll be building a whole lot of momentum anyway and the tracks do a good job of limiting how many ultra shortcuts (I know that's a Mario Kart fandom term but I don't know of the Sonic equivalent) players can take or improvise anyway.

I'm guessing she's not going to be less useful than a wagon full of rocks in this title, given how subsequent Sonic racers have handled her a lot better as sort of an "item-user/strategic" type of racer. But still...

However, the prospect of a Sonic on-foot racer is immensely appealing to me, as it would embrace what the Sonic franchise is all about instead of holding Sonic characters back to acommodate characters from other franchises that don't stand a chance of matching his raw speed. However, I'd be happy with a kart racer too. I could use a kart racer fix-- the Mario Kart games for the Switch kinda left a bad taste in my mouth with how it charges money for stuff that was previously better and offered for free-- and it would have room for creativity. Its also a good opportunity to showcase a variety of characters in a context where people won't reflexively cry "Sonic's shitty friends!" or get hyped for a certain kind of story that simply was never planned to be (because racing games aren't usually bought for their story if they even include one). Racing fans will usually get introduced to characters they love because they like the characters' playstyle(s) and from there come to greatly like their personality/design/concept. So what could be a better way to gauge which characters should get priority and attention instead of haphazardly tossing a whole bunch of characters together as glorified cameos?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's bound to be "Super Sonic Racing" like you guys suggest. The name is incredibly generic without the "Super" and the "R" reference just seals the deal.

Honestly though, showing the logo like this is a really lame teaser.

• Thumbs Up 6

Nah nah guys. Aaron Webber said it weren't no All-Stars racing game situation (which he technically might not have lied about regardless considering the Sonic-only status) so what this actually is, is a really well hidden teaser for Cars 4 that snuck it's way onto Sonic's channel. Lightning McQueen is gonna cameo as one of Eggman's cockpits that gets fucking destroyed when Sonic fights the Death Egg Robot for the 7th time. 

Seriously though I like this. And so long as it's not being made by Sonic Team I'll go into it with relatively positive expectations. 

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Seriously though I like this. And so long as it's not being made by Sonic Team I'll go into it with relatively positive expectations. 

Given that the leak was true that a Sonic-Only racer was currently in the works, likely means the other portion about it being made by Sumo is true also.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can see the game being titled Sonic Racers, similar to Sonic Runners. It's generic but more streamlined than Sonic Racing or Super Sonic Racing.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Given that the leak was true that a Sonic-Only racer was currently in the works, likely means the other portion about it being made by Sumo is true also.

If that's true then that's great. That there Sumo has some good matches under his belt.

At the moment, all I need confirmed to come back is the announcer from the first game.

"I have sweat in places that DON'T EVEN SWEAT!"

I know this probably aren't going to happen, but what if...

Super Sonic Racing!

Play with Sonic by foot

Play with Tails with Tornado

Play with Knuckles with Extreme Gears

Play with Army with Cars

Or mix whatever racing method you want you any other Sonic Series Character.

Edit: Just now I realized something.

The game is called Sonic R (Something)

This year is Sonic Robo Blast 2 20th Birthday.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 officially cannon?

it's the first big Sonic-focussed racer since Sonic R.

actually, that would be sonic riders: zero gravity, which released 11 years later.

15 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

actually, that would be sonic riders: zero gravity, which released 11 years later.

This may be true to an extent, but Sonic Riders Zero Gravity featured other Sega characters like Nights, Amigo and others.

I never thought that a glowing R could make me so giddy with excitement! Maybe there's going to be a "kart or no kart" option for certain characters?

20 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

Actually, that would be Sonic Free Riders. I know everyone tends to (or wants to) forget it, but it's there.

Now that the racer has been confirmed, how about some idea conjecture? How would people feel if Sonic Racing nabbed the idea from Crash Nitro Kart (for 1P because it would broken in 2P) that Mario Kart 8 didn't?

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

I wouldn't read too much into the "R". A car was shown and Sumo Digital are likely making this, right? So it's just a reference, probably because it's the first big Sonic-focussed racer since Sonic R.

That and it's been confirmed not to be a sequel (see the tweet posted by Sonikko on the previous page).

Yes ^_^   I think it feels/seems likely that vehicular racing would be the main game, as it can include the most characters. 

Racing on foot may be a special mode!  It would be surprising for this option to be excluded entirely, but, the amount of characters that would not fit into it may also be why they are sure to describe that it is not exactly going to be a true sequel to Sonic R!  Also the game engine; course dynamics and character abilities can be so different twenty years later!!  :o:)^_^