Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Just now, blueblur98 said:

...the team meter?

yeah, that could work.

That's the one. 

It'd arguably work even better for Sonic since it's laid out its teams for over 15 years, while Crash had one definite team unit but had to make up excuses to define the rest. It even went off the premise of 3 basic members per team (there's technically 4, but the fourth member is treated more as a bonus than a proper core member. Fake Crash, N.Tropy and Pura aren't acknowledged in-story at all). 

They'd just need to tweak what effect it could grant. 

If this is going to be only playable Sonic characters this time then I hope Zeena makes it in as a racer!

What's the Crash team thing? I've never played or really had interest in that franchise, so I have no idea what the concept is.

3 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

What's the Crash team thing? I've never played or really had interest in that franchise, so I have no idea what the concept is.

The team meter was exclusive to Crash Nitro Kart. The cast was split up into teams (Bandicoot, Cortex, Velo and N.Trance), and in 1P mode a max of two members can be present in a race (eight racers means two members from each of the four teams). If they drive within a certain range of each other over time, it builds up the team meter. In CNK, reaching max gives a few seconds of it cycling through items very quickly. 

3 hours ago, Austroid said:

I never thought that a glowing R could make me so giddy with excitement! Maybe there's going to be a "kart or no kart" option for certain characters?

I wish it has no-kart mode but folks would just babble it makes no sense since Sonic is the fastest and thus has no competition.

I've never been for Sonic being on foot in a kart-racer anyway. The point of Sonic R, I assume, was to have the characters racing on foot. If the point of this competition is to race in karts then that's what I'd prefer to see. Making special exception for Sonic feels off. I'm one of them symmetrical tarts. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Apparently it's Sonic characters only: yay. And it's in cars: boo.

You know what would be best case scenario? Wacky Races.

Screw Knuckles in a quad bike, I want Master Emerald with wheels. All Chaotix in one, tiny car. Silver having rusty car he has to keep together with ESP.  Infinite with car looking like his mask. Cream in Chao Walker.

And Sonic...

Spoiler

Other idea: remember those cars in Heroes? How about fully customable cars that you can have 1 to 3 characters in. Like you can have normal wheel or put Sonic there, making it faster, but harder to control. Omega will be slower, but go better through hard terrain. Etc.

• Chuckle 2

Done my own mini logo analysis. Mostly straight forward, a couple of interesting points.

XCz9ebq.png

-Obviously the wings are based on the usual Sonic emblem.

-The letters that can be made out at maximum exposure (aka when the R is glowing) are the top of A, a bit of the top of C, a bit of the bottom of N and the bottom of G. I don't think it's a mystery what that word is.

-Shield shape has two possibilities based on the angles seen. It could be a simple direct angle down from the top to the bottom or, based on the angle of the bottom, it could have a bit of tapering down there. 

-The most interesting thing is the question mark zone; there's something obscuring both the G and the bottom emblem wing (notice with the R that the letters of RACING align underneath the wing, but the mystery shadow is completely over it).

Also I guess I'll put this out just to make it clear; if you see anyone try to insist it'll be a classic racer (whether seriously or for "lol modern sonic is dead" memes), just remind yourself that they wouldn't show off Classic Sonic stuff with a highly detailed and three dimensional image of a headlight.  

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

29 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

XCz9ebq.png

--The most interesting thing is the question mark zone; there's something obscuring both the G and the bottom emblem wing (notice with the R that the letters of RACING align underneath the wing, but the mystery shadow is completely over it).

I think the G also has a stylised wing/fin on it on the upper-right corner, mirroring the design of the R (but with one wing rather than two).  The extended fin directly above it is just the mirror of the shield shape on the left.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Biggs98 said:

Calling it now, it's gonna be called Super Sonic Racing. Sonic Racing is too basic, Super Sonic Racing sounds rad as hell and is a callback to Sonic R which fits in with the "R" reference in the logo

Yep, and it's the clever kind of reference/idea I expect Sumo to pull off. It's a good name. Let's just pray they go all out with this one, diging the Sonic world as deep as the SEGA world.

Stuff like:

- A track set on Angel Island AS A WHOLE, with segments of almost every zone from Sonic 3. 

- A track that's a remake of some Sonic Drift or Sonic R track because that would be a totally awesome and sweet homage.

- Forgotten characters made playable, not just the new ones. I was going to say Mighty and Ray, but they're no longer so forgotten! Give us "THE BOYS, THOSE DUDES®" Fang, Bark and Bean. Or even Honey, c'mon.

- Hard Boiled Heavies playable. Because YES, Heavy Rider was born for this.

- Classic characters playable (Sonic, Tails, Knux, Eggman AND Amy). If people can swallow Baby Mario, Luigi, Peach, I don't see a problem. Also, as far as I know (not a huge Mario fan, correct if I'm wrong please), but only Baby Mario is actually canon (SMW2), all the other babies are just "there", while Classic Sonic and co. are much more actual characters. Also I wanna see Classic Amy in 3D, ok? And race with a Sonic that rellies on cool animations instead of one liners.

- Eggman's track should be Scrap Brain, Launch Base or another level that isn't Death Egg for the 10th time. Nor Final Fortress/Egg Fleet. 

- Boom!Sonic as the secret ultimate unlockable character just for the lulz.

- A track set in City Escape. Now, I know, City Escape, it's been done before, but c'mon, racing in San Francisco is always exciting, those hills, the bridge... Throw in an awesome remix and some Crazy Taxi references and were good.

- A track set in an original Sonic Mania level. Because YES. And one set in a Sonic Forces level because God knows people are gonna be pissed if Mania is represented but Forces not. Metropolitan Highway (that's the name of the white city level?) would be rad. Music is great too.

- A track based on a Sonic CD level that features the time travel gimmick. Each lap being a time period. It can be done seamlessly, this is the PS4!

- Some SEGA characters should be made playable while a LOT of them could be hidden in the tracks as easter eggs, doing their business.

- The arena/battle mode levels could be from different SEGA games.

- And of course. Console exclusive guests. Switch gets Mario obviously, Xbox gets... Master Chief? Conker maybe? And OF COURSE. PS4 gets... CRASH. Or......... Sackboy? <.<

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

14 minutes ago, Jango said:

Also, as far as I know (not a huge Mario fan, correct if I'm wrong please), but only Baby Mario is actually canon (SMW2), all the other babies are just "there"

Baby Luigi and Baby Bowser are as well. The whole point of SMW2 is to go to Baby Bowser's Castle to rescue Baby Luigi, otherwise Yoshi could just take Baby Mario home with no issues at all. 

Anyway, in terms of classic characters, I doubt there'd be much rep, if at all. Even in games where classic meeting modern was the point, they don't seem to like throwing them all in there. They're more liberal with classic levels. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Baby Luigi and Baby Bowser are as well. The whole point of SMW2 is to go to Baby Bowser's Castle to rescue Baby Luigi, otherwise Yoshi could just take Baby Mario home with no issues at all. 

Anyway, in terms of classic characters, I doubt there'd be much rep, if at all. Even in games where classic meeting modern was the point, they don't seem to like throwing them all in there. 

Oh, I see. Haven't played World 2 much beyond the surface.

But please at least Classic Eggman, Amy and Sonic. They could be in the same slot as their Modern versions, kinda like a skin.

3 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Still dunno why they keep doing this(they did this initially with Forces). Its not like it hurts to show something more concrete.

It's not like SEGA are the only ones doing this.

*cough* Nintendo with Prime 4 and Smash Switch *cough*

But yeah, it would be neat if we could see more than this. I do wonder if March 22nd will have something related to this...

• Nice Smile 1

Yes; it could be that this was indeed a preview of the trailer which begins in the same way but will display the full title, and then either some gameplay, or animation sequence that at least indicates some of the nature of this! 

It seems very likely they will want to have both this game, and Mania Plus, to be playable at e3, so more information and promos are surely on the way!  

I hope you can switch out cars and parts like in Mario Kart.

And if not, at least give Sonic a red car :U

Here's Sonic Racing Characters Predictions:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles Tails Prower
Knuckles the Echidna
Amy Rose
Shadow the Hedgehog
Rouge the Bat
Cream the Rabbit
Silver the Hedgehog
Blaze the Cat
Fang the Sniper
Metal Sonic
Vector the Crocodile
Espio the Chameleon
Sticks the Badger
Jet the Hawk
Wave the Swallow
Storm the Albatross
Dr. Eggman
Zavok
Zazz
Zeena

18 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Here we go!

After hearing that all I could think of was this. ;)

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Yep, and it's the clever kind of reference/idea I expect Sumo to pull off. It's a good name. Let's just pray they go all out with this one, diging the Sonic world as deep as the SEGA world.

Stuff like:

- A track set on Angel Island AS A WHOLE, with segments of almost every zone from Sonic 3. 

- A track that's a remake of some Sonic Drift or Sonic R track because that would be a totally awesome and sweet homage.

- Forgotten characters made playable, not just the new ones. I was going to say Mighty and Ray, but they're no longer so forgotten! Give us "THE BOYS, THOSE DUDES®" Fang, Bark and Bean. Or even Honey, c'mon.

- Hard Boiled Heavies playable. Because YES, Heavy Rider was born for this.

- Classic characters playable (Sonic, Tails, Knux, Eggman AND Amy). If people can swallow Baby Mario, Luigi, Peach, I don't see a problem. Also, as far as I know (not a huge Mario fan, correct if I'm wrong please), but only Baby Mario is actually canon (SMW2), all the other babies are just "there", while Classic Sonic and co. are much more actual characters. Also I wanna see Classic Amy in 3D, ok? And race with a Sonic that rellies on cool animations instead of one liners.

- Eggman's track should be Scrap Brain, Launch Base or another level that isn't Death Egg for the 10th time. Nor Final Fortress/Egg Fleet. 

- Boom!Sonic as the secret ultimate unlockable character just for the lulz.

- A track set in City Escape. Now, I know, City Escape, it's been done before, but c'mon, racing in San Francisco is always exciting, those hills, the bridge... Throw in an awesome remix and some Crazy Taxi references and were good.

- A track set in an original Sonic Mania level. Because YES. And one set in a Sonic Forces level because God knows people are gonna be pissed if Mania is represented but Forces not. Metropolitan Highway (that's the name of the white city level?) would be rad. Music is great too.

- A track based on a Sonic CD level that features the time travel gimmick. Each lap being a time period. It can be done seamlessly, this is the PS4!

- Some SEGA characters should be made playable while a LOT of them could be hidden in the tracks as easter eggs, doing their business.

- The arena/battle mode levels could be from different SEGA games.

- And of course. Console exclusive guests. Switch gets Mario obviously, Xbox gets... Master Chief? Conker maybe? And OF COURSE. PS4 gets... CRASH. Or......... Sackboy? <.<

Also, a comic character as an unlockable bonus (maybe a pre-order bonus character?). Or at least some cameos from them, like the sega characters. 

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

I hope you can switch out cars and parts like in Mario Kart.

And if not, at least give Sonic a red car :U

Maybe blue car for Sonic, and red for Classic?

Anyway, my roster (one last time):

- Base roster:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Amy

Dr. Eggman

Shadow

Blaze

Vector

Silver

Metal Sonic

Charmy

Espio

Cream

Rouge

Big

Omega

Sticks

Infinite

Jet

Wave

- If the roster is big, additional characters:

Zavok

Zazz

Zeena

Classic Sonic

Nack

Mighty

Ray

Chao

Dark Chao

Tikal

Chaos

Storm

Heavy King

Heavy Gunner

- If more clones happen:

Classic versions of the characters

Boom versions of the characters

Sonic the Werehog

- Bonus guests:

Ulala

NiGHTS

AiAi

- Insert any famous character here -

What do you think? I'm not saying all of them are gonna be in it, the base roster for sure, but the rest, depends on how big it is. If the roster is decent we may end up getting those guys, if not, I assume we will see clones like the Classic team or the Boom gang, the Werehog or all of the Deadly Six/Hard Boiled Heavies.

5 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Maybe blue car for Sonic, and red for Classic?

Anyway, my roster (one last time):

- Base roster:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Amy

Dr. Eggman

Shadow

Blaze

Vector

Silver

Metal Sonic

Charmy

Espio

Cream

Rouge

Big

Omega

Sticks

Infinite

Jet

Wave

- If the roster is big, additional characters:

Zavok

Zazz

Zeena

Classic Sonic

Nack

Mighty

Ray

Chao

Dark Chao

Tikal

Chaos

Storm

Heavy King

Heavy Gunner

- If more clones happen:

Classic versions of the characters

Boom versions of the characters

Sonic the Werehog

- Bonus guests:

Ulala

NiGHTS

AiAi

- Insert any famous character here -

What do you think?

One of the bonus Guests needs to be someone from the comics. And I think characters like Marine, Bean, Bark, and the remaining D6 are worth at least a cameo (Marine could be a Cream or Sticks clone). I think AiAi sounds overused, and Burning Rangers needs another shot. We’ve never seen Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, The Ooze, or Project Rub in such a crossover yet.