Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

It's clearly Pikachu In A Sombrero Racing, guys.

So weird how they emphasized the obvious "R" from the Sonic R logo, yet it's not a sequel to Sonic R. I mean, why bother then? It's obvious enough it's a racing game.

Or perhaps...Sonic the Hedgehog: Nuts and Bolts?

• Thumbs Up 7

Well that...is certainly a teaser that doesn't say much.

For whatever reason the teaser gives me really weird Need For Speed Carbon or Underground vibes. I doubt it's in any way representative of an actual game, but still, I felt a bit giddy for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, PC the Hedgehog said:

So weird how they emphasized the obvious "R" from the Sonic R logo, yet it's not a sequel to Sonic R. I mean, why bother then?

They bothered because they wanted to disappoint people like me with potentially...good ideas. Then not actually deliver the positives.

Thank God this isn't a sequel to R or Riders. Now it can actually be good.

Still disappointed at it being Sonic-only, though.

And at how terrible the teaser is.

5 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

It's clearly Pikachu In A Sombrero Racing, guys.

So weird how they emphasized the obvious "R" from the Sonic R logo, yet it's not a sequel to Sonic R. I mean, why bother then? It's obvious enough it's a racing game.

Or perhaps...Sonic the Hedgehog: Nuts and Bolts?

It's just a letter. lol

23 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Don’t see why they can’t just use it as his default staple car though. Where are the rules that say that car is only tied to the asr series?

Well it could be the same logic as, say, Iron Man getting a new suit every movie: "If we come up with a new design we can justify making brand new toys of it." That and they'll probably want to differentiate this from ASR in general, which is understandable.

Not much to say about this so far. I actually kinda love they used the R from, well, Sonic R, it's a cute nod. Tho' because of it I can't help but hope the car stuff is a red herring and it really is on foot but I'm not expecting that. Either way, can't wait to see more.

• Thumbs Up 7

Given how far down on the logo the "Racing" (yes I clearly saw the "acing" after watching the larger, higher quality video) text is, I'm assuming the title is actually "Super Sonic Racing", to go with the classic Sonic R song.

Anyway, I'm hyped. Looking forward to seeing the roster. I'm basically expecting the Sonic Free Riders roster (without the random robots) and adding Omega, Espio, Charmy, and Big. Maybe they'll leave out the Babylon Rogues, but I'm not sure. Its another dedicated racing game, I'd think they'd fit right in even if its cars and not hoverboards.

The only "new" characters (as in, more recently existing characters) I can see are Sticks (who I find very unlikely) and maybe Infinite. Personally I really want, and really doubt, Tikal will be added.

• Thumbs Up 2

Assuming that this is a Sonic-Only Racer, was thinking of who the roster could be.

• Sonic
  • Tails
  • Knuckles
  • Amy
  • Big
  • Eggman
  • Cream
  • Rouge
  • Shadow
  • Omega
  • Vector 
  • Espio 
  • Charmy
  • Silver
  • Blaze
  • Metal Sonic
  • Gamma
  • Chaos
  • Tikal

Off the top of my head, anyway. Then going into more obscure and possibly spin-off areas.

• Bean
  • Bark
  • Nack
  • Mighty
  • Infinite
  • Hard Boiled Heavies
  • Ray
  • Sticks (She was already in a main series spin-off so it's possible)
  • Babylon Rouges

Likely Not Happening:

• Freedom Fighters (Sally, Antoine, Bunnie, Rotor) 
  • Egg Robo
  • Metal Knuckles
  • Tails Doll
  • Tangle (Depends if they'll give comic characters cross promotion)
  • Mephiles
  • Werehog

That's what I think at least.

• Thumbs Up 6

Seeing that they want to make more Mania content I can definitely see characters from that here. But what do you think of it being announced next Thursday? Is it possible or too soon?

1 minute ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Seeing that they want to make more Mania content I can definitely see characters from that here. But what do you think of it being announced next Thursday? Is it possible or too soon?

Too soon, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to announce the teaser of the game during their bigger conference then do a proper confirmation later. Would make more sense to do that at E3 or another showcase to me, at least.

That said, Generations was also revealed through a random Facebook teaser trailer so it's also not impossible.

19 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Assuming that this is a Sonic-Only Racer, was thinking of who the roster could be.

• Sonic
  • Tails
  • Knuckles
  • Amy
  • Big
  • Eggman
  • Cream
  • Rouge
  • Shadow
  • Omega
  • Vector 
  • Espio 
  • Charmy
  • Silver
  • Blaze
  • Metal Sonic
  • Gamma
  • Chaos
  • Tikal

That all seems good to me

dunno if they'd have both Gamma and Omega though. One robot's enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Because memes.

I'm being serious, referencing Sonic R is probably the reason. Sonic Riders did a similar thing actually, although not as blatant since the logo style was completely different.

How would people feel about a potential Adventure mode similar to Diddy Kong Racing/Crash Team Racing? Kind of eases off the sting of this being Sonic only doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

How would people feel about a potential Adventure mode similar to Diddy Kong Racing/Crash Team Racing? Kind of eases off the sting of this being Sonic only doesn't it?

I hope you remember that the Sonic Riders series was exactly what you were saying.

1 minute ago, Tails spin said:

I hope you remember that the Sonic Riders series was exactly what you were saying.

oh yeah I completely forgot haha

okay well how about something like that then. That'd be neato.

I’m fine with an all Sonic character racing game. I mainly got the Sonic & Sega games for the sake of Sonic characters. If it means finally seeing Blaze, Silver, Rouge, and the Chaotix being playable, then that’s great! I would also love to see Sticks playable, she should have her turtle shell kart from Sonic Boom.

What other characters would you guys want to see? Any other suggestions for the game? Here’s a list of track ideas I’d love to see.

Emerald Coast, Twinkle Park, Lost World, City Escape, Space Colony Ark, Frog Forest, Hang Castle/Mystic Mansion, Crisis City, Kingdom Valley, Eggman Land, and Planet Wisp.

For power ups, I could see elemental shields and wisps being power ups. The Spike Wisp could leave spike traps on the ground, rocket would shoot missiles, void would trap foes in a dark void, frenzy turns your vehicle into a monster that mowes over enemies, laser could dart your vehicle through opponents, drill could break through traps and obstacles, burst could shoot fire balls, etc.

Looks exciting!

The teaser gave me a Gran Turismo/Sonic kinda vibe so it'd be weird to see Sonic characters racing on real life inspired cars lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

That would be great!

I'm not much of a racing game guy, but the concept the Sonic series revolves around-- that is, going fast-- has always lent itself well to the genre, and I enjoyed playing a demo for the original ASR. I'll keep my eye on this.

Woof, way too little information to go off with. Having shots of a car (hinting its a kart racer) followed by a mostly silhouetted logo that has Sonic R (a foot racer) doesn't really tell us anything that seems concrete because both of those elements contradictory as to what style of racer it is. Also applies in regards to using the R logo but then saying not a sequel or remake/remaster (*glances at Forces* gee, that sounds familiar...). I feel like they could had simply stated that a racing game was in development with no footage and that would have had the same amount of impact as this teaser did.

Not even a release date for us to know when they're gonna talk about this game more is pretty lame too.

Not really a fan of this teaser at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

For the longest time, I've been wanting them to make another Sonic racing game that doesn't rely on cars. Like, make something interesting out of the Boost mechanic and incorporate it into a racing game setting. 

But from the looks of it, this isn't like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm also disappointed. I figured we wouldn't get any gameplay, but I was hoping we'd have a title, a release window, and maybe a developer confirmation. Especially given how long the game's existence has been leaked, just revealing a racer is coming I don't think is good enough.

Sonic racing sounds a little too obvious but realistically what else could it be? And what else could make any sense? I'm very exited for this. SART is one of my favourite racers of all time and if it is indeed Sumo who are making this then that's the icing on the cake four me.