Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't understand why they couldn't have just added in another three slots. 

Keep Team Chaotix and Team Rose the same and put the chao on Silver and Blaze's team. Why not do the Smash Bros, thing and just include them all? I seriously can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. Maybe they just like the tradition of keeping Espio and Charmy out of shit. 

I don't know. I knew this would happen and yet I'm still somehow in a bitter headspace. The idea of "Not popular = waste of a slot" always pissed me off but there's never anything I can do about it. 

It's been so long since the Chaotix got a chance to work off one another properly and this thing has a story mode. 

Fuck man. I gotta stop thinking about it. 

Same man. I think it's to have less voice actors. You single out cream charmy and espio and have chao instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't understand why they couldn't have just added in another three slots.

Money.  That's all there is to it.  Sonic just isn't a big-budget franchise any more - and when you consider what Sonic Team has tended to do with its budgets, you can see why the Sega paymasters might be drawing the pursestrings that bit tighter.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Same man. I think it's to have less voice actors. You single out cream charmy and espio and have chao instead.

I doubt that. Again, this is kind of how it usually is when you think about it.

Cream and Rouge are on-again, off-again characters but the rest of these guys aside from Omega, Big, and the Chao are the go-to character roster for the party games. Silver and Blaze weren't in any danger and the team they were most likely going to mess with to include them was the Chaotix. Even in Free Riders, when Vector was on Team Rose, they still included Silver and Blaze as unlockable characters.

This is just what happens when you pick the wrong characters to be fans of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, FFWF said:

Money.  That's all there is to it.  Sonic just isn't a big-budget franchise any more - and when you consider what Sonic Team has tended to do with its budgets, you can see why the Sega paymasters might be drawing the pursestrings that bit tighter.

That's why it's all "We need Sonic to shine by himself" and all his solo games without any other characters bullcrap!!

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

I don't buy it. I'm sorry but that just sounds ridiculous. The difference between an 18 character roster and a 15 character roster being such a big money issue that it could potentially sink their chances for efficient monetary gain doesn't sound plausible to me. If this were a matter of the state they were in now this wouldn't have been something they've always done either. But they have. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't buy it. I'm sorry but that just sounds ridiculous. The difference between an 18 character roster and a 15 character roster being such a big money issue that it could potentially sink their chances for efficient monetary gain doesn't sound plausible to me. If this were a matter of the state they were in now this wouldn't have been something they've always done either. But they have. 

I mean, it's not too ridiculous considering how the game overall looks like it's being cheaply made. Sumo Digital also working on at least 2 projects that have been in dev hell (Crackdown 3 according to numerous rumors and reports, and Dead Island 2, which has been dead for years, yet apparently still being in the works?) also doesn't help the circumstances. New models, new animations, necessary testing, balancing, new voicelines, etc. still adds up. I wouldn't be too surprised that they just didn't put more than 15 purely because of budgetary reasons. I might be completely wrong on this, but that's my take on the whole thing.

Though this makes their acquisition of The Chinese Room a bit weird, now that I think about it.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Just announced via Sonic twitter.

6C33058B-2255-4668-B2B8-A0ACD1773574.jpeg

Weird mix but I'm glad to see them in this, but I'm still want a bigger roster.

1 hour ago, Bobnik said:

I mean, it's not too ridiculous considering how the game overall looks like it's being cheaply made. Sumo Digital also working on at least 2 projects that have been in dev hell (Crackdown 3 according to numerous rumors and reports, and Dead Island 2, which has been dead for years, yet apparently still being in the works?) also doesn't help the circumstances. New models, new animations, necessary testing, balancing, new voicelines, etc. still adds up. I wouldn't be too surprised that they just didn't put more than 15 purely because of budgetary reasons. I might be completely wrong on this, but that's my take on the whole thing.

Though this makes their acquisition of The Chinese Room a bit weird, now that I think about it.

I can't fathom this not being ridiculous. The idea just won't allow itself to manifest in my brain. Maybe I'm too used to looking at other games and how they make decisions that make sense. I don't buy it.

Funny how Planet Wisp actually look like Planet Wisp in the CGI render, but in-game it looks like a Sonic Lost World-esque knock-off of the stage.

Anyways, isn't the final team obviously going to be Eggman, Eggrobo, and Metal Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I can't fathom this not being ridiculous. The idea just won't allow itself to manifest in my brain. Maybe I'm too used to looking at other games and how they make decisions that make sense. I don't buy it.

8aWmev5.png

What Bobnik just described is pretty reasonable. In addition to the roster (who all need voice acting, models, animations, car designs to model etc) there's also the matter of tracks (I imagine there'll be at least 16) as well as the Story Mode, new gameplay mechanics which require their own assets, etc.

If this were a bigger budget game, sure, but it sure as hell isn't looking that way, so what Bobnik said is pretty bog-standard logic. I'd actually argue what they've done in light of this is a sensible decision - prioritise the characters people like more. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

8aWmev5.png

What Bobnik just described is pretty reasonable. In addition to the roster (who all need voice acting, models, animations, car designs to model etc) there's also the matter of tracks (I imagine there'll be at least 16) as well as the Story Mode, new gameplay mechanics which require their own assets, etc.

If this were a bigger budget game, sure, but it sure as hell isn't looking that way, so what Bobnik said is pretty bog-standard logic. I'd actually argue what they've done in light of this is a sensible decision - prioritise the characters people like more. 

Alright, when people start posting images like this, it means I'm entering the area of being made fun of so I think it's best I cool off a bit so that I avoid looking any worse.

I wasn't trying to argue that it wasn't a low budget, cheaply made game and that all that stuff doesn't cost money. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the difference between 15 characters and 18 characters could be so huge that it'd lead to self-destructing their game. I wasn't trying to go against his logic and I wasn't trying to imply that prioritising the characters people like more wasn't the route they should go if this was truly the decision they needed to make.

I'll admit to still not completely buying it but I'll concede that it's a possible point.

I didn't mean to turn this into a fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I'd actually argue what they've done in light of this is a sensible decision - prioritise the characters people like more. 

Explain this

Omochao-sonic-free-riders-9.png

Nah I actually totally agree with you. Cream is just so boring that Omochao and The Chao Brigade make a more interesting stand-in. And Omochao sucks.

Although the Chaotix are primarily a team, they aren't the most popular characters by any stretch. There's probably all of six people the world over mourning the absence of Charmy in this game. Espio missing is a bit more of a disappointment, but Vector has a lot more going for him. Silver and Blaze are too popular to be left out of a spin off such as this, and bringing in an odd-ball like Marine or (God forbid) Sticks would be a much less beneficial move. For as stupidly small and non-SEGA that the roster is, I actually like what we have. Yeah, it sucks that its so small and I'm not going to be defending this game any time soon, but at least it's looking like the best outcome for such a lame situation. 

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Alright, when people start posting images like this, it means I'm entering the area of being made fun of so I think it's best I cool off a bit so that I avoid looking any worse.

I wasn't trying to argue that it wasn't a low budget, cheaply made game and that all that stuff doesn't cost money. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the difference between 15 characters and 18 characters could be so huge that it'd lead to self-destructing their game. I wasn't trying to go against his logic and I wasn't trying to imply that prioritising the characters people like more wasn't the route they should go if this was truly the decision they needed to make.

I'll admit to still not completely buying it but I'll concede that it's a possible point.

I didn't mean to turn this into a fight.

Don't worry too much, it's a light dig but I hold no ill will. It's clear you're a fan of the Chaotix and I'm also kind of surprised they didn't roll with the full team - Charmy's popularity is questionable but I was under the impression that Espio was decently popular. It's a shame either way, but sadly I can see why they've gone this route. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I promised myself I wouldn't react so strongly when this happened too. But I ended up making myself mad anyway.

I saw that this game was announced and figured it'd finally be the one chance I could get at playing as the Modern Chaotix in a 3D game for the first time in over 15 years. So it's an even bigger blow that it didn't end up happening.

However, I shouldn't let my emotions supersede my intelligence. I'm smarter than what I just wrote there. I knew from the get-go that this would happen and when it did I still wasn't prepared for it. It's time I gave up on it ever happening. It's just been far too long. I lost the lottery on what characters I chose to like. 

Oh well. There's always the comics.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Explain this

Nah I actually totally agree with you. Cream is just so boring that Omochao and The Chao Brigade make a more interesting stand-in. And Omochao sucks.

Although the Chaotix are primarily a team, they aren't the most popular characters by any stretch. There's probably all of six people the world over mourning the absence of Charmy in this game. Espio missing is a bit more of a disappointment, but Vector has a lot more going for him. Silver and Blaze are too popular to be left out of a spin off such as this, and bringing in an odd-ball like Marine or (God forbid) Sticks would be a much less beneficial move. For as stupidly small and non-SEGA that the roster is, I actually like what we have. Yeah, it sucks that its so small and I'm not going to be defending this game any time soon, but at least it's looking like the best outcome for such a lame situation. 

I do agree that the Chao Brigade is more interesting than Cream. And if the best outcome of a lame situation still includes Vector and Omega, than I suppose I can at least find it in my heart to appreciate that.

This isn't meant as a slight against any of you, but eyeballing what "should be" possible during a game development by outsiders is such a common thing that's correct maybe 1% of the time. Time or executive decisions could have been even more of a factor than money. We just deal with what we're given. Feel free to let your frustration be known though. They seem to like doing DLC for Sonic now so we could get a few more characters, maybe. 

I'm fine with the roster as it is since...
<
<
<

yeah, but when this game was first announced I was hoping for some deeper digs than the standard Sonic party game stuff. I wanted to race as Tikal and shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

You know, isn't that just a tad rude? You personally don't like a character so nobody else is allowed to have them?

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

This isn't meant as a slight against any of you, but eyeballing what "should be" possible during a game development by outsiders is such a common thing that's correct maybe 1% of the time. Time or executive decisions could have been even more of a factor than money. We just deal with what we're given. Feel free to let your frustration be known though. They seem to like doing DLC for Sonic now so we could get a few more characters, maybe. 

Letting my frustration be known doesn't tend to go well for me so I'm gonna try my best to suppress what I'm feeling. 

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

You know, isn't that just a tad rude? You personally don't like a character so nobody else is allowed to have them?

That's totally not what he said.

• Absolutely 1

The reason why the Chao are there instead of Cream is because how much people have requested the Chao Garden to come back, the Chao are popular so making them a racer makes sense from a marketing point of view, and Omochao is there just to talk like all the other characters do while racing.

Sure, there's no reason why they can't have Cream, Cheese, Dark Chao, and Hero Chao all as one racer, but they've decided against that. And don't tell me that Cream is too young to drive, Baby Mario is a racer in Mario Kart for fuck's sake. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

bringing in an odd-ball like Marine or (God forbid) Sticks would be a much less beneficial move.

Regarding Marine alone,  you have a point. Though Sticks is still well and in the more positive graces of the fanbase. Heck,  some even think she's a part of v the main canon.

That said, she hasn't been around as long as Blaze and Silver,  so that could certainly contribute to her not getting in as early as them. 

21 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Don't worry too much, it's a light dig but I hold no ill will. It's clear you're a fan of the Chaotix and I'm also kind of surprised they didn't roll with the full team - Charmy's popularity is questionable but I was under the impression that Espio was decently popular. It's a shame either way, but sadly I can see why they've gone this route. 

Ehhhh,  it's not the first time, especially if the Olympic games are anything to go by,  I guess those two notably don't have the same push that Vector does. 

This makes perfect sense.

Silver and Blaze are two of the more popular characters in the series. Then they needed a Power Type character who wasn't Knuckles, Omega, or Big.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That's totally not what he said.

It doesn't seem like that to me, but I'll happily agree to disagree. The decisions made for this game defy explanation so it's really making a mess of these threads.

I mean all they had to do was take the Sonic Heroes teams and make that into a racer, and expand that out. It would have ironically been the cheaper option logistically speaking. Instead they went with a more confusing option while pissing off people in the process. It's really weird. Never in my time in game development have I seen something like this before.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

I mean all they had to do was take the Sonic Heroes teams and make that into a racer, and expand that out. It would have ironically been the cheaper option logistically speaking.

Even though I don't completely buy that this was a necessary decision, I also don't believe that would have been the "cheaper" option. If they used the Heroes teams and expanded that out, it would have cost more money. Not even I was denying that. Whether or not I believe that they were in dire enough straights to not go ahead and add in 3 more characters to even this out doesn't change the fact that doing so would have cost more regardless. 

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

Technically Blaze was considered a power character in Runners.

Yeah, they don't care about the speed, power, flight dynamic as much as people seem to think they do. This was, is, and will continue to be a popularity contest. That's why I knew in my heart of hearts that the Chaotix weren't getting in. That's also how I know Blaze not being in Forces was a fluke and not them actually giving a shit about her being in another dimension. 

39 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

What I said was that Cream is boring character and she's been replaced by character that's marginally more interesting but who also still sucks. I've got absolutely no idea where you plucked this idea about nobody else being allowed those characters from because I personally dislike them. Lol.

The game has a limited roster, and they've made some unexpected and strange concessions when it comes to who's playable and who isn't. That's all there is to it. Let's not get upset about opinions now, cause that really sucks.

EDIT: I just slightly modified this post to make it less antagonist. It's supposed to light hearted and jokey as is the previous one, but you seem to have taken it completely the wrong way.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1