Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Alright the co-op for Adventure mode is actually a really good idea. Might not mean much to the older crowd, but I can see that aspect, combined with the team-based gameplay and story aspects of the game, being really appealing for the younger audiences. Almost makes more sense than pitching it as a regular racer, actually.

It does make the lack of cutscenes a little more baffling, though. If I were them, I'd make this aspect the biggest draw of the game, like Riders, and at the very least make an entertaining story out of it on all fronts. I don't think reading character dialog through text is going to be half as engaging as the basic idea of just... watching the story play out through cartoony cutscenes, especially for a kid in this day and age

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

As obvious as it may seem , I actually hope its not eggman in a disguise. I would actually like some other eccentric weirdo who just.. hosts tournaments and junk  

Me too. It'd be interesting if it's a rich car-racing passionate who wants to host his own tournament.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the scans you can see that Eggman's presumed team is apparently not selectable in Adventure Mode since there's only 12 slots, so the stage is all set for the Tanooki guy to end up being a badnik, illusion or the good doctor himself, who'll end up a post-campaign unlockable.

Invincibility is apparently also a hard-to-get item in the game, which is kinda surprising since this is exactly what the Team Ultimate does. Watch it end up being an Invincibility Wisp.

The adventure map looks like something out of a mobile game, sadly. Famitsu mentions the mode being "quite long", which wouldn't surprise me considering how challenging Transformed's World Tour got, but I shouldn't trust Google Translate since it translated the text next to an Amy screenshot to "She is in a cool lunch box!". Finally we know what that car is.

So with seven zones, we have:

- Planet Wisp

- Rooftop Run

- Cool Edge? Ice Cap? Even with Holoska music, maybe this is supposed to be the aforementioned Sonic 3 rep, no way they've remade one from the ground up.

- Seaside Hill, what is it with Sumo and this stage?

- Lava Mountain? Unless it's part of the Ice Zone

As well as two more, one of them certainly an Eggman base. I guess fans hoping for underappreciated picks like Twinkle Park, Aquarium Park or Hang Castle can lie down and die, as Zavok suggested once. Speed Highway, Sky Sanctuary or Final Fortress will probably fill up the rest.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, The Deleter said:

The headmaster's name is Dodonpa, apparently:

General Tao?!

3 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

DlN29QdWwAIQ3C_?format=jpg&name=large

Here’s the second Famitsu page, shows us the new character and Adventure. Seems similar to ASRT’s World Tour.

This guy looks like a throwback to Big technically being on the Dark side in SA2.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Can someone translate these pages?

Also, we know there's this new character since months and we don't even have his name!

Not uncommon, as the Deadly Six and Infinite weren't named for quite a while after they were teased.

3 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Dodopina is a tanooki apparently.

Sorry Marine.

On another note, looks like we're getting more Japanese bas.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I feel the story will have more effort put into it than Sonic Forces.

One would hope, given the game setup.

1 hour ago, Bobnik said:
  • When Sumo started making the game, they didn't have the team aspect in mind, but then Iizuka-san came in and said "I wanna play a racing game with kids, but they're scrubs at them so pls add something that makes them happy" (slight overexaggeration, but it is a slight one)

:lol:

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Why does Iizuka always do this

To consistently separate Sonic from the rest?

1 hour ago, The Deleter said:

It does make the lack of cutscenes a little more baffling, though. If I were them, I'd make this aspect the biggest draw of the game, like Riders, and at the very least make an entertaining story out of it on all fronts. I don't think reading character dialog through text is going to be half as engaging as the basic idea of just... watching the story play out through cartoony cutscenes, especially for a kid in this day and age

Wait, there's no cutscenes?!

21 courses is the same as ASRT. While less than Mario Kart's 24 new courses in each game, 21 isn't bad. But what's really, really bad is only having seven zones. If that truly just means three acts across seven zones, then that's just absolutely shit.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hahaha I called it! Still images of the characters with text boxes. Great!!

Argh not liking the idea of only 7 zones with three acts though. Means that even the variety in stages might be lacking on top of the roster.

• Thumbs Up 2

I called the talking heads before calling it was cool though guys. Though, to be fair, it was a pretty easy thing to call. Even easier than calling that the full Chaotix weren't going to be there. The games have been relying way more on a lesser number of cutscenes for a while now. I want to say, since Generations. After the text-box heavy Sonic Forces, this seemed inevitable. There might be an intro cutscene or something but don't be surprised if the first thing you see is a PNG still image of Sonic's face zooming in from the side.

Also, Dodonpa? That's the name of an attack name I've heard before. Wait, it couldn't be...!

*Takes off Scooby Doo Mask*

I knew it! It was Tao Pai Pai the whole time.

latest?cb=20110520154450

Nyah! And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for the fact that I got blowed up!

It crossed my mind at least once that one of the slots would go to Mr. High-As-Fuck-Cat-Person. However, I didn't think they'd do it considering the point of the game (I thought) was to get in as many Sonic characters as possible before we went into extraneous, experimental territory but I should have known better. 

Not too much else to say. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Bobnik said:
  • There's 21 tracks total, but divided into 7 zones, so 3 tracks per zone. Apparently the earliest they went to when it comes to tracks is Sonic 3, but then again, both of them mixed up Ice Cap and thought it's a level from Advance so lol

Can I just say how lazy that is? Maybe that's not fair cause their budget is probably low, but come on. They're seriously going to give us just 7 zones? The 3 acts thing is just an excuse to re-use assets, even the Riders games had more zones than this. Maybe I'm just bitching too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 locales... seriously?

I hate coming off as a broken hate record here but you've got to be kidding. All the levels in this franchise and you limit it to 7? I guess I really should've seen this coming with the already poor character rooster but this is somehow still painful to see. That's 3 tracks with the same damn environment. I love Rooftop Run but not that much (especially with this game's art style). and you already fucking wasted one on an lw stage too

Throw in the still images for cutscenes on a damn console release and this all just further cements how cheap and lazy this game is turning out to be. Does Sega plan on giving any good news about the game this week?

Man... at this point, please just let the music and online be ok.

• Thumbs Up 7

57 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

and you already fucking wasted one on an lw stage too

Hey I like some of Lost Worlds stages thank you very much. 

I like how the story is made in Team Sonic Racing reminds me of Sonic Battle's story mode I still the Sega did good job on the tracks it could have been like Sonic Riders.

I'm going to love playing Amy in this!

amy talks.png

I hated the repeated levels in SASR. I get that it's the cheap option, but geez everything seems to be "it's the cheap option" with regards to this series. I don't like the cutscenes being barebones but I realized it was a possibility given Free Riders. It sucks that it's coming off of Forces talking heads cutscenes too.

This game has two things going for it right now for me: the story mode giving us new character interactions like with Team Vector and the fact that it's an easy to pick up kart racer I can play with my girlfriend.

This game feels so small. If it's really performing poorly too... man.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I called the talking heads before calling it was cool though guys. Though, to be fair, it was a pretty easy thing to call. Even easier than calling that the full Chaotix weren't going to be there. The games have been relying way more on a lesser number of cutscenes for a while now. I want to say, since Generations. After the text-box heavy Sonic Forces, this seemed inevitable. There might be an intro cutscene or something but don't be surprised if the first thing you see is a PNG still image of Sonic's face zooming in from the side.

Also, Dodonpa? That's the name of an attack name I've heard before. Wait, it couldn't be...!

*Takes off Scooby Doo Mask*

I knew it! It was Tao Pai Pai the whole time.

latest?cb=20110520154450

Nyah! And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for the fact that I got blowed up!

It crossed my mind at least once that one of the slots would go to Mr. High-As-Fuck-Cat-Person. However, I didn't think they'd do it considering the point of the game (I thought) was to get in as many Sonic characters as possible before we went into extraneous, experimental territory but I should have known better. 

Not too much else to say. 

Hey, maybe there isn’t even any in-game cutscenes or fmvs? I’d count on them being super-cheap these days. 

I see now why complaining about the small roster was a non-issue. Clearly all the money that could have gone in to adding in those three extra characters went to good use reusing assets across 7 zones. Ah well. 

The first All-Stars Racing game was my favorite of the bunch, for numerous reasons, but it's biggest fault, that Transformed fixed in spades, was everything in relation to the tracks. In Transformed, the tracks changed from lap to lap. They were more dynamic and intricate. Each stage was a completely new area. If the first game had that, it'd have been a near perfect racer for me. Seeing that revert as well is quite the disappointment. 

I know these guys are all new to Sumo and this game series but man is it hard to care when you're the consumer. It just feels like a mishmash of the mundane. We've seen all these places recently. It's like Forces took half the Generations and Lost World's assets and this game took the other. 

Maybe Hang Castle and Eggmanland was too awesome an idea. 

• Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I like how the story is made in Team Sonic Racing reminds me of Sonic Battle's story mode I still the Sega did good job on the tracks it could have been like Sonic Riders.

Yeah, I did think that but the fact that full flavoured sonic storytelling is a lost art at this point. At least Sonic Battle had a full fledges stories and Riders had full fledged cutscenes with personality and comedy leaves a lot to be desired.

It may be all doom and gloom here but I see glimpses of brilliance. Like in Ice Mountain the alternate routes are more sneaky and clever compared to wisp circuit.
And the speed characters able to use a level 2 drift to deflect projectiles is brilliant but I wish they had honed in on that to give it a fighting game kick to the other types like Mario Tennis Aces did. Technique is just being able to drive on grass is really uninspired and Power is basically lifted from Sonic Riders.

I wish they did a 3D Mario World styled over world where you could lead the team you were using and drive around in the overworld to go into missions.They would look like cute toy cars and would lend that much more personality. Something Nintendo always prioritizes which they could learn from.

I think it has potential but it's clear that they don't know how to harness the potential. Sure, it's easy to blame budget but I see it as a developer problem.
But hopefully, things get better...but that's what we keep saying for years on end..

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, LukA8 said:

From the scans you can see that Eggman's presumed team is apparently not selectable in Adventure Mode since there's only 12 slots, so the stage is all set for the Tanooki guy to end up being a badnik, illusion or the good doctor himself, who'll end up a post-campaign unlockable.

Invincibility is apparently also a hard-to-get item in the game, which is kinda surprising since this is exactly what the Team Ultimate does. Watch it end up being an Invincibility Wisp.

The adventure map looks like something out of a mobile game, sadly. Famitsu mentions the mode being "quite long", which wouldn't surprise me considering how challenging Transformed's World Tour got, but I shouldn't trust Google Translate since it translated the text next to an Amy screenshot to "She is in a cool lunch box!". Finally we know what that car is.

So with seven zones, we have:

- Planet Wisp

- Rooftop Run

- Cool Edge? Ice Cap? Even with Holoska music, maybe this is supposed to be the aforementioned Sonic 3 rep, no way they've remade one from the ground up.

- Seaside Hill, what is it with Sumo and this stage?

- Lava Mountain? Unless it's part of the Ice Zone

As well as two more, one of them certainly an Eggman base. I guess fans hoping for underappreciated picks like Twinkle Park, Aquarium Park or Hang Castle can lie down and die, as Zavok suggested once. Speed Highway, Sky Sanctuary or Final Fortress will probably fill up the rest.

His eyes do look a tad plastic...

And also, considering the objects on his person resembling the Phantom Ruby... could he be CLASSIC Eggman? Or at least an Infinite prototype?

It makes so much sense now that this wasn’t developed by the same Sumo studio that did the previous two games. Shame they’re stuck working on Crackdown 3..

Team Sonic Racing is lacking not only in the roster and (seemingly) the stage department, but even visually it doesn’t look as exciting as ASR and Transformed. The latter especially WOWed me when I first saw gameplay footage, like wow this looks even better than Mario Kart! Team Sonic Racing makes me go...

dBq30mw.gif

It looks so...budget. I know I’ve been pretty down on this game since it was announced but really, besides the story maybe being decent I’m keeping the expectations low. Just like Sonic Forces. >>

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of which, I'm really surprised there's no Mania/ Forces tie- ins yet, I really expected Sega to throw those in.
Man, I was looking forward to a Studiopolis/ "the city" track, but guess not.
Then again, I suppose the original Sonic all stars racing didn't have a Sonic Unleashed/ Colors/ 4 track either, so should have seen that coming...

• Thumbs Up 3

I just watched the IGN Ice Mountain footage, I didn't notice any framerate issues, but I noticed alternate routes, obstacles, drifting sections, scenery changes, and also that you don't always stop when hit, but you just go slower.

My God, this game sure is a disaster. Definitely not buying it. Sorry, I know everyone wants this game to be good, but all those things I listed seem horrible.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I know these guys are all new to Sumo and this game series but man is it hard to care when you're the consumer. It just feels like a mishmash of the mundane. We've seen all these places recently. It's like Forces took half the Generations and Lost World's assets and this game took the other.

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

It looks so...budget. I know I’ve been pretty down on this game since it was announced but really, besides the story maybe being decent I’m keeping the expectations low. Just like Sonic Forces. >>

Oh, I definitely feel that this is a budget issue. While these Sumo developers may be new to this, it falls so in line with how much SEGA are willing to put into Sonic at the moment. Boom's failure may have dissuaded the company from putting much into the franchise for the time being. It makes me wonder if there's going to be anything to really look forward to in the near future, at least as far as 3D games go.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

2 hours ago, Silent Jack said:

I just watched the IGN Ice Mountain footage, I didn't notice any framerate issues, but I noticed alternate routes, obstacles, drifting sections, scenery changes, and also that you don't always stop when hit, but you just go slower.

My God, this game sure is a disaster. Definitely not buying it. Sorry, I know everyone wants this game to be good, but all those things I listed seem horrible.

I can’t judge the framerate right now because I wound up watching it compressed on my iPhone, so the player couldn’t target 60fps. I’ll have to look again later, provided the player is even in 60fps.

I noticed an alternate route. It lasted about 10 seconds and did nothing particularly unique to the other route besides potentially last a tad longer since it was the outside route. Which is fine, that’s the nature of most alternate routes in kart racing games, but it’s nothing unique or mind-blowing.

I saw obstacles. I’d be kind of worried if I didn’t, given this is a kart racer. 

I saw drifting sections. Again, this is like Bubsy 3D pointing out it has extra lives - of course it has drifting sections. 

There’s scenery changes? If there are I didn’t really clock them, but that’s nice. Wish there were actually like, track changes. You know, like the last game.

I did notice not coming to a solid halt when getting hit, which was great! Until I realised it was likely just because Big was hit by the outermost part of the bomb blast, because every other occasion still results in the jarring dead halt. I also noticed one point where getting hit by an item also 180’d Big, which looked great!

(it did not look great)

This was a weird post. Like I get the “ha owned it’s not bad” angle you were going for, but when most of the stuff you listed is extremely rudimentary stuff for a kart racing game it’s like... I’m supposed to be impressed that there’s obstacles or drifting bits? It’s a kart racer! Of course there are! Even Power Drift back in 1986 had that stuff! 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 8/22/2018 at 9:52 PM, Gabz Girl said:

Hahaha I called it! Still images of the characters with text boxes. Great!!

Argh not liking the idea of only 7 zones with three acts though. Means that even the variety in stages might be lacking on top of the roster.

Does anyone else find this kinda...offensively lazy at this point? This is honestly something I expect from handhelds/mobile games, not full console releases in 2018. Starting to appreciate from numerous comments that there probably is a significant budget issue with recent Sonic games, so perhaps unfair to compare to the past, but damn I miss the consistently impressive CGI cutscenes we were treated to in the 00's. Especially as a kid, they were such a huge part of what made the experience of the story, however clumsily plotted or embarrassingly dubbed over it was, so exciting to play through.

The text boxes in Free Riders were the most uninspiring and tedious way to experience the little plot that game had. This way of storytelling often tends to be far too verbose - I love hearing more from these characters, but when the dialogue is so plodding that characters simply spend five to ten minutes monotonously stroking their own egos and making lame jibes at each other like broken records, all whilst Omochao feels the need to literally spell-out everything that we've already seen happen, I'm the opposite of engaged. There's a benefit to cutscenes here - due to the expense of animation, they're often forced to keep dialogue short and sweet and focus on how the interaction can either drive the plot or provide something visually pleasing for the player. Look at Sonic Heroes. 

This also just gives me the impression that we're just going to get nothing but the same lame "nah but I'm gonna win" banter, especially considering how all the interviewees from SUMO seem very conscious of underlining the fact that the story is "casual", "fun" or "light." - Is it too far too dream of them getting in a couple of decent writers in who string together some sort of plot explaining why they're all there, includes a few entertaining yet meaningful character interactions whilst also featuring some sort of plot intrigue/action scenes that makes you wanna play on to find out what happens? I honestly don't know why they bother at all if its just gonna be these text boxes. 

Look at Riders 1 - just another spin-off racing game. The story is a bit melodramatic, overplotted and silly, but I'll still happily watch those incredibly cinematic, nicely choreographed CGI cutscenes that can often times still aesthetically hold up to today's standards. The intro heroes cutscene really establishes the world aesthetic and a sense of adventure for the rest of the game. Oh, and that animie opening thou...

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't wanna be Mr "It's too early to judge".

But is it not too early to judge tracks that we've not seen?

I seem to remember that the original ASR has tracks set in the same zone, but didn't they look and drive completely different to one another?

Also complaining about the story being in text boxes. Should you not be putting that complaint on reserve until we actually know what the story is like?

• Thumbs Up 4