Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

3 hours ago, Pawn said:

Oh, I definitely feel that this is a budget issue. While these Sumo developers may be new to this, it falls so in line with how much SEGA are willing to put into Sonic at the moment. Boom's failure may have dissuaded the company from putting much into the franchise for the time being. It makes me wonder if there's going to be anything to really look forward to in the near future, at least as far as 3D games go.

I’m pretty sure that’s the case nowadays. It’s amazing what Headcanon and co. could do with their animation. 

15 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Hey I like some of Lost Worlds stages thank you very much. 

Yeah, I actually thought most of the ideas and designs in Lost World were pretty good. The problem was that it was two(?) years off of Generations, introduced a new divisive & somewhat experimental gampelay style, and was attached to an undertold and questionably toned story in execution.

15 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I like how the story is made in Team Sonic Racing reminds me of Sonic Battle's story mode I still the Sega did good job on the tracks it could have been like Sonic Riders.

I'm going to love playing Amy in this!

amy talks.png

I question how many of those sound like Amy, but whatever, maybe hearing them will help.

4 hours ago, Pawn said:

Oh, I definitely feel that this is a budget issue. While these Sumo developers may be new to this, it falls so in line with how much SEGA are willing to put into Sonic at the moment. Boom's failure may have dissuaded the company from putting much into the franchise for the time being. It makes me wonder if there's going to be anything to really look forward to in the near future, at least as far as 3D games go.

Is it because Rise of Lyric? Cause honestly, I got the impression this really started after Unleashed and got increasingly apparent as time went on.

1 hour ago, Wordy said:

Does anyone else find this kinda...offensively lazy at this point? This is honestly something I expect from handhelds/mobile games, not full console releases in 2018. Starting to appreciate from numerous comments that there probably is a significant budget issue with recent Sonic games, so perhaps unfair to compare to the past, but damn I miss the consistently impressive CGI cutscenes we were treated to in the 00's. Especially as a kid, they were such a huge part of what made the experience of the story, however clumsily plotted or embarrassingly dubbed over it was, so exciting to play through.

Yeah, if they're insisting on the setup and scope that they're going with, I expect the story mode to take proper advantage of that to justify it.

• I want to see Vector make the most of being arbitrarily paired up with such tryhard justiciars as reserved Queen Blaze from another dimension or naive Silver from the future
  • I should see Team Dark interact and play off each other for the first time since 06
  • I want to see Dodonpa move around and, well, express as he communicates with the other characters to add to his characterization and presence beyond his voice acting and what the other characters say about him
  • And yes, I should be seeing what Omochao interacting with the other characters as a contestant rather than an announcer or assistant would look like
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I can’t judge the framerate right now because I wound up watching it compressed on my iPhone, so the player couldn’t target 60fps. I’ll have to look again later, provided the player is even in 60fps.

I noticed an alternate route. It lasted about 10 seconds and did nothing particularly unique to the other route besides potentially last a tad longer since it was the outside route. Which is fine, that’s the nature of most alternate routes in kart racing games, but it’s nothing unique or mind-blowing.

I saw obstacles. I’d be kind of worried if I didn’t, given this is a kart racer. 

I saw drifting sections. Again, this is like Bubsy 3D pointing out it has extra lives - of course it has drifting sections. 

There’s scenery changes? If there are I didn’t really clock them, but that’s nice. Wish there were actually like, track changes. You know, like the last game.

I did notice not coming to a solid halt when getting hit, which was great! Until I realised it was likely just because Big was hit by the outermost part of the bomb blast, because every other occasion still results in the jarring dead halt. I also noticed one point where getting hit by an item also 180’d Big, which looked great!

(it did not look great)

This was a weird post. Like I get the “ha owned it’s not bad” angle you were going for, but when most of the stuff you listed is extremely rudimentary stuff for a kart racing game it’s like... I’m supposed to be impressed that there’s obstacles or drifting bits? It’s a kart racer! Of course there are! Even Power Drift back in 1986 had that stuff! 

Because you were the one who was complaining that this game had nothing, it was just straight line tracks (when we only saw the tutorial stage) with horrible graphics, horrible music, horrible fps performance, horrible character selection, etc. Now we've seen it's a normal Arcade Racer, I'm not trying to convince anyone it's an amazing game, it's not, it's decent, average, with a very little budget sadly. You are free to be grumpy and point out all the flaws though.

19 minutes ago, Silent Jack said:

Because you were the one who was complaining that this game had nothing, it was just straight line tracks (when we only saw the tutorial stage) with horrible graphics, horrible music, horrible fps performance, horrible character selection, etc. Now we've seen it's a normal Arcade Racer, I'm not trying to convince anyone it's an amazing game, it's not, it's decent, average, with a very little budget sadly. You are free to be grumpy and point out all the flaws though.

M&Ms Kart Racing is a “normal” Kart Racer. Doesn’t mean it’s good. 

I’m not even “the one” being down on this game - in case you haven’t noticed, the general reaction to the latest in this thread hasn’t exactly been great. For the reasons you mentioned. It is still pretty bland track wise, with the aesthetic not helping. Everything else you said besides music is also varying degrees of true to many folks. I also don’t like the “tutorial stage” argument when Ice Mountain is barely that much better in terms of structure, and if Forces should’ve taught you anything it’s that the first thing shown isn’t necessarily the first thing in the game. 

I also haven’t ever stated the music was bad, so when you’re done just pulling stuff out of your rear to suit a flimsy point, I’d appreciate knowing. On the contrary, I don’t see this game being a Forces-style disaster - but it looks nowhere close to the previous titles for an array of reasons. Throwing a tantrum and rebuting my points with “you’re just grumpy!” isn’t exactly a strong counter-argument when this thread is full of folks concerned about how it looks. 

• Thumbs Up 6

49 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I actually thought most of the ideas and designs in Lost World were pretty good. The problem was that it was two(?) years off of Generations, introduced a new divisive & somewhat experimental gampelay style, and was attached to an undertold and questionably toned story in execution.

I question how many of those sound like Amy, but whatever, maybe hearing them will help.

Is it because Rise of Lyric? Cause honestly, I got the impression this really started after Unleashed and got increasingly apparent as time went on.

Yeah, if they're insisting on the setup and scope that they're going with, I expect the story mode to take proper advantage of that to justify it.

• I want to see Vector make the most of being arbitrarily paired up with such tryhard justiciars as reserved Queen Blaze from another dimension or naive Silver from the future
  • I should see Team Dark interact and play off each other for the first time since 06
  • I want to see Dodonpa move around and, well, express as he communicates with the other characters to add to his characterization and presence beyond his voice acting and what the other characters say about him
  • And yes, I should be seeing what Omochao interacting with the other characters as a contestant rather than an announcer or assistant would look like

Well, the budget was already diminishing over time, it just shrunk dramatically even further after RoL.

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

M&Ms Kart Racing is a “normal” Kart Racer. Doesn’t mean it’s good. 

I’m not even “the one” being down on this game - in case you haven’t noticed, the general reaction to the latest in this thread hasn’t exactly been great. For the reasons you mentioned. It is still pretty bland track wise, with the aesthetic not helping. Everything else you said besides music is also varying degrees of true to many folks. I also don’t like the “tutorial stage” argument when Ice Mountain is barely that much better in terms of structure, and if Forces should’ve taught you anything it’s that the first thing shown isn’t necessarily the first thing in the game. 

I also haven’t ever stated the music was bad, so when you’re done just pulling stuff out of your rear to suit a flimsy point, I’d appreciate knowing. On the contrary, I don’t see this game being a Forces-style disaster - but it looks nowhere close to the previous titles for an array of reasons. Throwing a tantrum and rebuting my points with “you’re just grumpy!” isn’t exactly a strong counter-argument when this thread is full of folks concerned about how it looks. 

They are concerned sure, but they aren't so aggressive and nasty towards it in my opinion, I mean, some of them are, fans have generally gotten more grumpy over the years, it's true. Also, comparing it to Transformed isn't helping. I just said it's an average game, it's NOT hype material, and as you said it won't be a Forces level of disaster either. So we agree, right? :P

12 minutes ago, Silent Jack said:

They are concerned sure, but they aren't so aggressive and nasty towards it in my opinion, I mean, some of them are, fans have generally gotten more grumpy over the years, it's true. Also, comparing it to Transformed isn't helping. I just said it's an average game, it's NOT hype material, and as you said it won't be a Forces level of disaster either. So we agree, right? :P

I’m not aggressive or nasty either. Or at least I wasn’t until you needed to pull stuff out of your rear to make my reasonable criticism sound worse than it actually is. Fans haven’t gotten more grumpy over the years - the games have gotten worse (Mania aside) and fan response has simply become more critical to reflect that. 

If I was like, “Damn Sumo, those bastards, I hate them they’re ruining Sonic!” then I’d agree I was being nasty. But I’m not like that, unless you think this non-sentient video game is going to have its feelings hurt. 

Comparing it to Transformed isn’t helping TSR because it looks bad in comparison. The fact it looks bad in comparison doesn’t invalidate the idea of making the comparison at all. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Silent Jack said:

I don't think the tutorial stage argument can apply to a racing game when tracks progressively going from simple to complex has never been labelled as such. Not to mention, being the first doesn't necessarily make it okay to be bland as it essentially serves as a waste of track selection since it doesn't feel fun to play through multiple times.

As an example, I absolutely hate the afterburner track in transformed because it has little opportunities for getting ahead outside of item usage and only one part of the track requires any skill to get past and that's only if everybody else didn't break all the obstacles that make it easier to get through.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game keeps getting more underwhelming, first the limited roster, then the mixed up team choices, now there’s  the small selection of race tracks, lack of animated cutscenes, and a boring mission select map for story mode, instead of a hub world to drive around.

It’s almost like Sega wants this series to die,, they’ve given up on effort. I hope this game turns out better than it sounds, but my hype has died down quite a bit. This game sounds like wasted potential.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will be a bit the contrarian, but for the moment, I'm not really bothered that much about the "three level per zone" thingy, as at least two of the levels seems to be combining two tropes :

- Ice Mountain have a volcano. I can suppose that at least a level will be "lava-based" ?

- Planet Wisp usually have a technological part, that isn't in Wisp Circuit IIRC.

So for the moment, I think that at least they might have enough diversity. But maybe they won't use the potential of these zone too. Wait and see, for me.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Space☆Yeow said:

Ah yes, I remember when modern Sonic Sunset Heights level got tons of flack for how linear, automated, and empty the level design it was. People rebutted that "it's obviously at the beginning of the game, it's supposed to be simple, you're being too critical!"...

...and then when the final game came out, that level turned out to be at the game's midway point...

It's kind of amazing. It was literally the middle. Stage 15 of 30. It's almost comically perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

...if Forces should’ve taught you anything it’s that the first thing shown isn’t necessarily the first thing in the game.

This should apply to almost any game being shown before release...the 1st level is rarely ever the 1st thing shown. Unless they release a demo or something...

Also the idea of only having 7 zones with 3 tracks each...sounds like Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Super Circuit. That's neat.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:14 AM, GentlemanX said:

Just to float the idea - Cream, Espio, and Charmy could be added as DLC if Sega and Sumo should choose so. I personally would prefer some odd ducks like Zavok, Jet, Infinite, or Chaos, but adding Espio, Cream, or Charmy would make sense as they're more recognizable. It's at least something to tweet or message the relevant parties about if you feel strongly about it.

I'd prefer Infinite in Team Empire.

Zavok can spearhead his own Zeti team

23 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I think a cheaper game like Colours seeing more success than a more expensive effort granted them a different perspective, but things seem to have gotten much worse since Boom flopped.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad Takashi Iizuka wanted to add the Team mechanic because in Mario Kart 8 at 10000 points and up I keep seeing the same people around first using things like large character + Wild Wiggler combo in Team Sonic Racing they'll have to work as a team and not just try to blast there way to first even if they all try to use Sonic and Shadow. 

Well. I had fun with the gamescom demo, but the framerate could be better. Looking forward to the finished product.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean for what it's worth, I'm near-convinced that Sunset Heights was moved at some point in development and they just didn't have time to redesign it.  Egg Gate and Luminous Forest are just so much more challenging (uhh... within Forces' scope, anyway) that it's unbelievable to me that Sunset Heights was MEANT to be the 15th stage.

Having said all that, the screenshot of the story mode map looks VERY significantly "at the start of the game", and it shows Planet Wisp.  I'd say that's major evidence that Planet Wisp is the first track, or at least early on.

The confirmation of talking heads sucks but if the story is lame anyway then I guess it won't be much of a loss.  At least they'll probably be voice-acted.

I'm glad this is a spin-off and not a main series title.  There's a lot of doom and gloom in this thread but for me I'm just like "oh, okay, it's a budget game then.  Expectations lowered, will probably be a pleasant stop-gap game for the franchise".  If all this shit was coming up for whatever they plan to follow-up Forces with, I'd be a lot more miffed.  This game isn't really worth that energy, it seems like a good time regardless, and I don't blame the new team for not being overly amibitious with their first title.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

On 8/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It's kind of amazing. It was literally the middle. Stage 15 of 30. It's almost comically perfect.

For better or worse.

Still like that level and especially it's music, though.

13 hours ago, jgcatindig said:

I'd prefer Infinite in Team Empire.

Zavok can spearhead his own Zeti team

For some reason, I read that as "Prefer Infinite on Team Empire with Espio instead Cream."

True.

8 hours ago, Pawn said:

I think a cheaper game like Colours seeing more success than a more expensive effort granted them a different perspective, but things seem to have gotten much worse since Boom flopped.

To be fair, I remember Colors looking pretty good for a Wii title and being pretty enjoyable, Asteroid Coaster partly aside.

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

I'm glad this is a spin-off and not a main series title.  There's a lot of doom and gloom in this thread but for me I'm just like "oh, okay, it's a budget game then.  Expectations lowered, will probably be a pleasant stop-gap game for the franchise".  If all this shit was coming up for whatever they plan to follow-up Forces with, I'd be a lot more miffed.  This game isn't really worth that energy, it seems like a good time regardless, and I don't blame the new team for not being overly amibitious with their first title.

I do ultimately agree with this sentiment. Despite being pushed further into the negative side and embracing the disappointment a bit more, the downtrodden feelings mostly stem from the possibility of an escape from Sonic Team's regular fits of mediocrity with the announcement of this game and the studio behind it only to be presented with something that feels like a lesser version of what came before yet again.  I'm more disheartened by the situation, not really by the game itself or the people working on it. I'm still going to play the crap out of it. The roster was and still is the thing I care about the most, despite talking about and agreeing with a lot of the complaints about dynamic structure and variety within the stages. That's why the Team Vector thing gave me the strongest negative reaction I've had yet and even then it didn't last much longer than a day. It still sucks but it's easier to get used to after 10 years of the status quo not going anywhere.

The promise and possibility of something that would change that and make things better was there though. That's the thing that's a bit harder to get over. It kind of always is, even with a game that isn't technically a part of the main series. Because, to be frank, I have more respect for these All-Stars games than I do for a lot of the games in the "main series". This game isn't even out yet and I feel in my gut that I'll enjoy it way more than Forces, despite all the stuff I've moaned about here.

• Thumbs Up 1

The biggest reason why I’m not pumped for this game is that it just feels inappropriate to be celebrating Modern Sonic at this point. Like, yeah, I harbor a deep attachment to the series, but ever since the original ASR, every other game has been some kind of Sonic celebration. On top of that, I don’t really feel like Modern Sonic deserves it right now. After being disappointed by Lost World, we waited 4 years - almost unprecedented for this franchise - only to get a hollow, slapdash, passionless product in Sonic Forces. Children who played the last great 3D Sonic game - Generations - are now in high school. 

Sonic needs to get a new mainline title that dramatically improves upon Forces in every area. Until then, I’m not interested in another “victory” lap.

Game looks fun, though. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Some of the news about this game inspired me to draw something for the hell of it and show you guys. It took a while but I thought it'd be funny.

team_vector_s_formation_in_team_sonic_ra

Always find the humor in any situation you can. 

Laugh out loud! This is he up nelly a funny one. Now explain how Amy and Big enlisted Omochao. Sadly, there’s some who’ll get the wrong idea about the image.

It'd probably be something similar to Omochao declining, with Amy saying they need someone who understands the chao. Omochao asks why Cream can't do it, to which Amy points at the kart and asks how Cream would sit on that chao-sized seat. Omochao is still hesitant, so Amy brings her hammer out. "Want me to take your insides out and put them inside the kart instead?"

• Thumbs Up 1