Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

13 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Because it looks thoroughly uninteresting. It doesn't look bad but it's got very little going for it. SEGA haven't shown off much of the game either, nor is there any buzz or hype coming from other outlets. What impressions and news we have gotten haven't been glowing, with people citing that performance issues are currently plaguing the gameplay and nobody really seems to be a fan of the team mechanics -everything seems to point to it being intrusive and confusing. Add this all on to the facts that there's not many characters or levels and the game just isn't going to drum up positivity.

On a more subjective note, the artstyle is bland and the reuse of the Sonic R logo amounts to nothing more than nostalgia pandering. Anything interesting from the previous games in the series, be it transforming vehicles, dynamic courses or SEGA representation has been stripped out with the replacements nowhere near as good.

Not to drive anymore negativity, but as I said earlier...

13 hours ago, Ruomarta said:

At this point, I'm just CONVINCED they're going to release this game around a crowded time like Jan/Feb or in December where it will get swallowed by SSBU in December. No way it will come out in October or November.

I see a lot of people hype for Team Sonic Racing it fix's the car crashing bugs and Amy being slow. I'll miss the Sega characters but I will not miss them if they only say one word like "PUNNDING!" It even has a big amount of tracks like the first game!  

Man, I really want to be excited for this game (My boy Vector is playable in a console title again!😎), but I simply can't. Currently, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed, a release from 2012, looks much more interesting and creative than what has been shown so far.

I hope we get longer gameplay videos with more tracks in the future because these tiny ones aren't helping very much...

@Mayor D Nice to hear some positive thoughts. Which version, or versions, did you try? 

SEGA need to drum up exposure for the game. They're really letting it fall under the radar.

• Thumbs Up 1

The speed of the game is a total non-issue every kart racer comes in multiple teirs. Still don’t understand how some people were worried about that....

If I were to Ask a question it would be about game balance.  It is much easier to get triple items in this game so I am curious as to how that would affect the overall race flow . You could bog it down or speed it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll answer a bunch of questions tonight. Internet here in the venue is really bad.

Keep the Q's coming.

Oh I got another one. If you got hands on with the Holoska course, do the racing physics change while driving on ice/snow or is it all cosmetic? 

I wonder how much sliding around we can expect. Unleashed put an emphasis on Sonic losing a bunch of traction in that level. It would be cool to see that replicated here.

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Oh I got another one. If you got hands on with the Holoska course, do the racing physics change...

Yes.

Considerably.

Even has an impact depending on the character you use.

Also will be playing the game again tomorrow. I have also recorded video of myself playing both stages. Will be posting that on sunday/Monday.

I'll also be doing a writeup for TSS.

There is a lot to say. Some good. But sadly quite a bit not so great on reflection.

Anymore Qs ask me via Twitter. The Wi-Fi at the venue is terrible. Much easier to get a Twitter notification than load SSMB.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's an old build, keep in mind this, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the press build at gamescom was the most recent one. But if the criticism has to do with the core of the game, then the build doesn't matter, in fact I doubt gameplay will change when the game comes out.

Edit: More impressions from Reddit - they like it, tracks are a lot more simple and open here, gameplay is fun, it runs at 60 smoothly on PS4, and the AI is aggressive and always one step ahead.

Tails Channel has a ton of footage of the TGS stream.

Still looking through it myself, but there is some new stuff in there, including gameplay of the Rooftop Run level, which was press eyes only earlier.

Spoiler

Also. Silver's car glows. lol

Also, the next racer has been confirmed

Spoiler

Its Eggman. You can see him cross the finish line at the 55 min mark and his icon is in the results screen.

He's on a team with 2 EggPawns. I would assume they are placeholders for Metal Sonic and probably Infinite (that would be my guess)

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, so before that blows up a bit, I've been meaning to get this theory out on team Vector. 

So you know how Donpa is hosting this entire and has basically made the stipulations for racing himself? You know how one common theory is that Donpa is Eggman in disguise?

So say that it ends up being correct. My theory is that both team Dark and team Chaotix were on his tail, but Eggman, knowing how good the Chaotix are at seeing through him when allowed to work together, was like "Nuh uh, you're not allowed to race with those two anywhere close to here." Vector still wants to investigate, so he approaches Silver and Blaze about acting as team mates while still letting him do the work he needs. 

I mainly say this because while nothing close to this occurred in Sonic Free Riders, the games have gone to great lengths to emphasise his detective skills when they can since Generations, so I think they might hit that angle harder this time. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

HHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh I finally get to play as Eggman again. The only character I will ever play.

So I am speculating that Eggman's art will be revealed really soon on the premise that he was allowed to appear in this demo build of the game. This makes me wonder who or what Dodonpa is on the prevailing theory he is actually Robotnik in disguise - either Robotnik is Neo Metal Sonic or Dodonpa could be Eggman Nega.

Or the magical flying tanuki is just a red herring because we are basing him off of appearances. Man what a farce that would be.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Okay, so before that blows up a bit, I've been meaning to get this theory out on team Vector. 

So you know how Donpa is hosting this entire and has basically made the stipulations for racing himself? You know how one common theory is that Donpa is Eggman in disguise?

So say that it ends up being correct. My theory is that both team Dark and team Chaotix were on his tail, but Eggman, knowing how good the Chaotix are at seeing through him when allowed to work together, was like "Nuh uh, you're not allowed to race with those two anywhere close to here." Vector still wants to investigate, so he approaches Silver and Blaze about acting as team mates while still letting him do the work he needs. 

I mainly say this because while nothing close to this occurred in Sonic Free Riders, the games have gone to great lengths to emphasise his detective skills when they can since Generations, so I think they might hit that angle harder this time. 

And you trust SEGA to do acknowledge this? I don't know, this game doesn't really have that big of a story, so Espio and Charmy could also not get mentioned at all, but there is a chance the Chaotix in general could get a mention, and Vector's detective skills are definitely used a lot, and I'm glad.

Impressions based on the demo footage:

- Eggman, I think they are not gonna reveal the last 2 racers until the game comes out, but I at least want to see his vehicle more in detail.

- Silver's car glows, pretty cool!

- That lady looks really excited, lol, it's quite funny, and Iizuka just can't play the damn game, ugh, he goes so slow, only the beginning of the video showcases how fast the game really is, the footage with Sonic, but then he hits the wheels and goes off road... eh, he can't play it.

- I've been told there are new remixes: 2P from Mania, Can you feel the Sunshine, apparently are in, not sure where, and obviously the Rooftop Run remix which is really good!

- Speaking of Rooftop Run, Market Street looks like it has lots of paths, balloons and bits of gimmicks, it seems nice for now... I'd say on par with Ice Mountain. 

Who bets Seaside Hill is gonna be revealed next? They just can't stay away from it, it's a plague in my opinion, the least interesting choice they could make for the game, because it has already 4 tracks in the All-Stars series, I know this is a different spin-off but, Green Hill would have been better, it was never used in a modern racing game I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

You were playing the demo when you suddenly posted a Tweet saying there was an unannounced character but didn't share the info?

Kinda pointless if you're not going to divulge the info.

• Thumbs Up 4

About the zones: yeah it is a bummer that there are only seven but I highly doubt they will reuse assets, I assume Every track is different, for example:

Market Street is at day and Generations like, with a festival.

The track in the CGI trailer was at twilight and in the skies.

I assume the third one will be at night with Dark Gaia Monsters and will resemble Unleashed.

Planet Wisp has a circuit around a tree, probably the alien forest and factory as other tracks. Etc.

I'm more bummed about Seaside Hill getting 3 more stages, I hope one will be underwater.

So I just spoke to two reps about this. Neither of them knew that there was a reference to this character in the game. One was a bit "Oh god" about it. The other was more laid back.

I have a photo of it. But I'm really unsure as to if I should post it or just say who it is.

It's not a glitch or anything. The reference is on the track itself. It's just in a part that very few people can get to.

So I really don't know what to do here. Anyone got any advice on this kind of situation? It's a public demo and there's no glitch used to find it. But you have to play the course in a specific way to find it.

If it's a billboard like how Vector's car was spotted, I really don't see what the problem would be. It's before the official reveal but it largely doesn't matter when we find out if they're part of the game one way or another.

23 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So I just spoke to two reps about this. Neither of them knew that there was a reference to this character in the game. One was a bit "Oh god" about it. The other was more laid back.

I have a photo of it. But I'm really unsure as to if I should post it or just say who it is.

It's not a glitch or anything. The reference is on the track itself. It's just in a part that very few people can get to.

So I really don't know what to do here. Anyone got any advice on this kind of situation? It's a public demo and there's no glitch used to find it. But you have to play the course in a specific way to find it.

15 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

If it's a billboard like how Vector's car was spotted, I really don't see what the problem would be. It's before the official reveal but it largely doesn't matter when we find out if they're part of the game one way or another.

If SEGA put stuff out there that reveals info before we're supposed to see it, the fault is entirely on them. But there's no responsibility of the fanbase to spread the leaks. Especially when it's only in a small scale (as far as we know it's only viewable to EGX players, unless it's Eggman), it's just sometimes the nicer thing to do too keep these things to yourself. Mayor D's presentation of finding this leak is one thing I won't go on about because what I said previously on the matter. But if the dilemma is "do I share this info for no real gain and risk messing things up for the individuals at SEGA and Sumo? Or do I just wait it out until it's formerly revealed or let someone else leak it if they want to?" then there's at least reason not to share it. Right now, it's a contained leak that might not go further. If we don't find out what it is unless SEGA intentionally show it, well, that's not doing any harm.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah that's what I figured, it's just that they're revealed pretty non-chalantly by SEGA in the first place. Plus I can't really wrap my head around there being any real megaton at this point, lmao

If it were me, and I didn't want to hurt any effort Sumo was putting into the game or the marketing, I'd probably try to reveal or hint at something that builds the hype for the character or reveal up, rather than spoil it altogether, if it was that important. The aim of the marketing is to build anticipation and interest overall, so anything that just adds another stage to that couldn't do anything but help, imo.

Though, again, I can't see a Sonic character being that big of a deal in the first place at this point, so it's probably not worth it if it's not that big of a deal tbh

Can definitely talk about it now. Spotted it during the stream.

Metal Sonic is in the game. Pic to come later. Internet is horrible here for images.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ice Mountain has just been confirmed to be a combination of different levels, explaining its lack of a specific identity.

EDIT: They also mentioned that 12 of the 15 characters have been revealed so far. Now, obviously Eggman is not included in that, despite being included in the demonstration, but that means the Egg Pawns really are just generic enemies and aren't taking a slot. Perhaps this has already been stated; it's just I've noticed some concern expressed about it. So who will Eggman and Metal be teaming up with? Orbot and Cubot? Infinite?

• Thumbs Up 3