Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

18 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Can definitely talk about it now. Spotted it during the stream.

Metal Sonic is in the game. Pic to come later. Internet is horrible here for images.

Hm... maybe tie-in to the IDW... as kind of ehrmm expected ?

7 hours ago, SchemingMinor said:

HHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh I finally get to play as Eggman again. The only character I will ever play.

So I am speculating that Eggman's art will be revealed really soon on the premise that he was allowed to appear in this demo build of the game. This makes me wonder who or what Dodonpa is on the prevailing theory he is actually Robotnik in disguise - either Robotnik is Neo Metal Sonic or Dodonpa could be Eggman Nega.

Or the magical flying tanuki is just a red herring because we are basing him off of appearances. Man what a farce that would be.

Or Dodonpa is Classic Eggman due to the events of Mania Plus. His significantly rounder shape helps, along with the Phantom Ruby looking thing on his turban and floating chair.

Now I'm afraid "remastered" means tracks from All-Stars Racing. I wanted 21 brand new tracks, Seaside Hill is already a pain, at least make it new and unique.

26 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Or Dodonpa is Classic Eggman due to the events of Mania Plus. His significantly rounder shape helps, along with the Phantom Ruby looking thing on his turban and floating chair.

If this is right then...

21 minutes ago, Marcello said:

No. He's in because he's Metal Sonic. It has nothing to do with the comics.

...this is not really a logical step, that he is JUST IN. I personally do think that IDW and Mania Plus is relevant to this game. As was "just" Mania to Forces. But ok, I won´t spread it out much more, let´s see what it will really be like. Though the fact that IDW is story-wise a sequel to Forces, the probability of yet another tie-in rises.

10 minutes ago, superman43 said:

If this is right then...

...this is not really a logical step, that he is JUST IN. I personally do think that IDW and Mania Plus is relevant to this game. As was "just" Mania to Forces. But ok, I won´t spread it out much more, let´s see what it will really be like. Though the fact that IDW is story-wise a sequel to Forces, the probability of yet another tie-in rises.

Dodonpa is not Classic Eggman and even if he was it wouldn't be illogical for Metal Sonic's appearance to have nothing to do with his role in the comics.

IDW Sonic is its own continuity. Games won't connect to it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Marcello said:

Dodonpa is not Classic Eggman and even if he was it wouldn't be illogical for Metal Sonic's appearance to have nothing to do with his role in the comics.

IDW Sonic is its own continuity. Games won't connect to it.

Never say never. As I said, let´s see what comes off of it. OK ? 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

If Dodonpa is a disguise, then it would likely just be a badnik, since Eggman and Metal are in the race. Free Riders already did the Neo Metal Sonic schtick anyway, didn't it?

Regardless, I'd rather the little tanuki was just his own character. I can't think of any outcome where a ruse like that wouldn't feel cliche and unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, superman43 said:

If this is right then...

Metal sonic has been in every ASR game up until this point as a DLC character so I really don't get how he just can't be in this time because "yeah he's metal sonic". I think you're over complicating something that doesn't really need much explanation other than just because. I'm happy that this time he is allegedly part of the base roster this time around though since it never made since to just have him locked behind a pre-order/paywall.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

Metal sonic has been in every ASR game up until this point as a DLC character so I really don't get how he just can't be in this time because "yeah he's metal sonic". I think you're over complicating something that doesn't really need much explanation other than just because. I'm happy that this time he is allegedly part of the base roster this time around though since it never made since to just have him locked behind a pre-order/paywall.

I never played any ASR game, so thank you for reminding me Metal Sonic was in them.

Though, when I think about it, you said that he never made it in the base roster, hmmm...

Metal Sonic? I thought he'd already been announced XD , have not been paying attention to any news on this game. Still praying its gonna be as good as transformed.

Impressions from The Mirror

They're positive impressions, but they ultimately don't go into much detail. And they're pretty off the mark too - they seem to think that ASR and ASRT didn't have items at all. The Mirror is a pretty crap British tabloid paper with approximately 50% of their articles written about Katie Price's love life, so take it as you will. The impressions mention Eggman as a playable character. Now while we know this is true from the stream yesterday, it was practically a given any way and it seems likely to me that they just put his name in their because he's a regularly appearing character and not because he was officially revealed to them in any capacity. They just got lucky that he is indeed in the game.

So yeah... Positive preview but also not worth taking notice of.

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Impressions from The Mirror

They're positive impressions, but they ultimately don't go into much detail. And they're pretty off the mark too - they seem to think that ASR and ASRT didn't have items at all. The Mirror is a pretty crap British tabloid paper with approximately 50% of their articles written about Katie Price's love life, so take it as you will. The impressions mention Eggman as a playable character. Now while we know this is true from the stream yesterday, it was practically a given any way and it seems likely to me that they just put his name in their because he's a regularly appearing character and not because he was officially revealed to them in any capacity. They just got lucky that he is indeed in the game.

So yeah... Positive preview but also not worth taking notice of.

So, basically damned by a fool’s praise?

latest?cb=20141010115457

Yeah, I wouldn’t trust them. But never say never to this being a plot of Classic Eggman’s.

54 minutes ago, superman43 said:

I never played any ASR game, so thank you for reminding me Metal Sonic was in them.

Though, when I think about it, you said that he never made it in the base roster, hmmm...

Ah, my bad. I assumed you played them, but yeah metal sonic was DLC, for all stars racing he was in about 2 months afterward but with transformed he was there at day 1 (albeit as DLC).

15 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

Ah, my bad. I assumed you played them, but yeah metal sonic was DLC, for all stars racing he was in about 2 months afterward but with transformed he was there at day 1 (albeit as DLC).

Well I never played much of Sonic outside of 1, 2, 3 and K and Heroes. Fueled back when Mania was announced, bought Generations (though had a crappy laptop), then Mania, got a better laptop, then Forces. 

11 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I'll be writing a very detailed impression for the game either Sunday or Monday similar to my Forces one from last year.

What I will say though...

The vast majority of us have greatly under-estimated this title and I include myself in that. But there's a good reason for it. 

You know how in most of the official footage shown the racers barely do anything? And every racer acts the same?

I don't know how they could show that when the racers in the demo I played are so much more aggressive and there are ways for people to play this game in a manner that can make this a really interesting racer.

They've also badly communicated both through social media and even at conventions the different race types (This I'll go into more detail when not on mobile) and how you can play the race tactically and create really exciting scenarios.

If the multiplayer takes off and we see dedicated teams of 3. We can REALLY see some truly cool and competitive things.

Now the game is not perfect, and from what I've seen Transformed is still king, Im also very concerned about the single player experience.

But in terms of current impressions. The marketing has not done a good job here at all.

I even went up to one of the Sumo guys and begged him to get Sega to change how they're showing off the game.

That is pretty much what I experienced with the game as well. So +1 on that one, including that Transformed remains superior.

A little question though, out of interest: Is Market Street playable at EGX or is the gamescom build for the press still the only way that we were able to play the track? (Okay, we've seen it on the TGS stream)

Also I'm interested if the difficulty was significantly lowered since gamescom. Because I sure had a hard time getting first for the most part while having quite a few sessions with the game (with over 150h of ASRT experience), but the TGS stream seemed to be A LOT easier, seeing how bad they were playing and still got first. 

11 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You know how in most of the official footage shown the racers barely do anything? And every racer acts the same?

I don't know how they could show that when the racers in the demo I played are so much more aggressive and there are ways for people to play this game in a manner that can make this a really interesting racer.

Prehaps this is close to other racers wheras the difficulty is tied to the higher speed settings. Now that they are starting to show the game outside of the slower difficulty setting and cranking up what is available to people playing the demos the real ai is starting to shine through a bit.

Transformed and Mario kart do the same thing. The ai is noticably more aggressive and livley in the higher speeds and just out for a stroll on the lower swttings. 

I really hate the marketing for this game and it doesn't do it justice, but @Mayor D there was official footage from Sonic social media in August that showcased all the team mechanics we saw today at the panel, so it's also the fans who barely noticed the game, but yeah marketing sucks here, no trailer since E3 and the pics at Gamescom weren't even released on social media but @Ruki185 had to post them.

25 minutes ago, Ruki185 said:

No market street. Only ice Mountain (Which is apparently a combination of EVERY ice stage according to the panel and planet wisp.

Difficulty is hard. It's very hard to come first in a race. But once you figure out the mechanics and realise how you use them. You find yourself coming top 3 very often.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

No market street. Only ice Mountain (Which is apparently a combination of EVERY ice stage according to the panel and planet wisp.

Difficulty is hard. It's very hard to come first in a race. But once you figure out the mechanics and realise how you use them. You find yourself coming top 3 very often.

Alright, thanks. Then it's most likely the same demo that was playable for the public at gamescom.

(I am curious why Market Street isn't playable anywhere, I'm dying to listen to a direct audio video to hear the OST again)

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I'll be writing a very detailed impression for the game either Sunday or Monday similar to my Forces one from last year.

What I will say though...

The vast majority of us have greatly under-estimated this title and I include myself in that. But there's a good reason for it. 

They've also badly communicated both through social media and even at conventions the different race types (This I'll go into more detail when not on mobile) and how you can play the race tactically and create really exciting scenarios.

If the multiplayer takes off and we see dedicated teams of 3. We can REALLY see some truly cool and competitive things.

That's what I've been thinking since the team mechanic (or, well, the game) was announced - it has the potential to be a very competitive and fun game if you play with proper teammates and actually having a bit of a tactical approach. Glad that I'm not the only one with the similar mindset now.

That said it still has these issues (from what I've seen that is) with items making you fully stop instead of just slowing you down, and the tracks being a bit more static than I wanted. Single player is also something very concerning, with teammates' AI being that main point of concern for me.

What I liked most about the mechanics talk for the game, was that they've actually thought about the best ways to implement Team mechanics that don't detract from the foundation of a racer, and feed back into the general formula to actively encourage use and strategy pretty effectively, imo. I.e. simple button presses and actions to keep the focus on driving rather than gimmicky maneuvers that wouldn't mesh with typical skill on the track, active communication about sharing item boxes to work around the typical limitations of powerup "pit-stops" and be as aggressive as possible at all times, and the general benefit players have for sticking together to earn boost, feeding back into the speed of the game itself. When it all comes together at a high level I could see it being pretty intense and satisfying, so that's definitely a cool outcome for the game's mechanics if that happens, and a pretty crazy amount of foresight the devs have for an entire formula for racing, imo; not even Onrush handles team mechanics that well, from what I hear.

I'm kinda skeptical of how the actual online multiplayer will turn out, though. The team mechanics are pretty unique, but also really aggressive, and from the way they were talking during the panel, it didn't really seem like they've thought about balance that much, outside of the campaign? For the co-op in the story mode, I can see it being a big highlight for the game, but online I kinda feel like it might be an unproven wild west of the game mechanics in a highly aggressive environment, honestly. It could go either way between a perfectly healthy and emergent competitive mode or an absolutely broken metagame with few openings for balanced competition, depending on how abusable certain mechanics are, so I'm kinda wary about hedging bets on competitive play being the main draw of the game, for now. It'd be pretty cool if it could pull it off, though.

It is amazing just how shitty the marketing for this game has been. I was seriously about to just come in here and comment about how I almost forgot this game was coming out, despite actually still looking forward to it. That's despite the disappointing roster too.

I'm glad Eggman and Metal Sonic are all but officially confirmed now so I can stop pretending as though it's viable to speculate on their inclusion even though it was obvious from the get-go that they were in. 

I'm still looking forward to it, despite lingering bitterness.