Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

It's for the best anyways given Smash Ultimate is coming out in December and even Pokemon Let's Go in November. 

Too bad they couldn't do the same for Forces to polish it up.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

I don't really care as I have lots of games to buy and little time to play them, but obviously it's a good thing, they should optimize as well as add more characters and tracks, without changing the core of the game.

The only thing that bugs me about this is that we aren't likely to get any news soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

They probably need extra time to create a level in which you press X few times (if you feel like) and then instantly boost out.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, insert name said:

With this delay, if we ignore Mania Plus (which was just an updated version of a game released the previous year), I think 2018 will be the first time since the series began back in 1991 that we go an entire year without a new Sonic game.

2015 also counts if Runners is ignored due to its stigma as a Mobile game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Although it's somewhat concerning that the game needs a delay that's anywhere from 3 to 6 months (assuming the original release date was anywhere from December 2018 to February 2019), it does reflect nicely on SEGA's current practices. The extensive delay can only improve the game, and it's now slated for the often-quieter summertime. I'm going to remain pretty hopeful that the final product will be refined and polished. But it would be very presumptuous to expect major changes like a larger roster, more track variety or changes to the story mode presentation. 

Mania got a deserved delay to ensure no content was cut and then recieved a few patches a bonus re-release with a massive patch a year later. I hope that SEGA continues to put resources into games that need it. Forces and Lost World wouldn't have benefitted much from a delay; those games were made to fit a tighter budget and just felt cheap as opposed to rushed. Fire and Ice also got a delay because... Well, the game was Boom trash anyway and SEGA probably just wanted something to prop up 2016. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I really welcome this decision, but I just wonder with such a far push back, how are they even going to promote the game in half a year? 12 of 15 characters are revealed, the other three are confirmed through not-quite-official means, but the character reveals kept the interest in the game going at least somewhat. The story's also been written so they won't alter the teams to bring in the missing Team Rose/Chaotix characters, so the only trio I could see being added are the Babylon Rogues. It's definitely in the realm of possibilities since a recent interview had "no comment at the moment" on the number of characters.

That being said, 18 instead of 15 won't solve the game's problems, so I hope they mainly use that time to create a better product, and also breathe more life into the game, its characters and locations. I'm getting a little wary though since I keep thinking back to the comment that said the game was initially planned for Spring 2018, and Sumo Digital having other games stuck in development hell..

I'm fairly certain fire and Ice was ready to ship for 90% of its delay time.

This title... I suspect it's a combination of the following...

1: The single player problem which I talk about in here:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/09/egx-2018-hands-on-impressions/

My biggest concern for the game when I played it was how well the online human team play would move into single player.

2: May is probably a better release period from January to May in terms of sales.

One thing I am very curious about.

Since this is an outsourced product. Is Sega funding the extra development. Or have SN failed to hit a milestone?

• Thumbs Up 1

Team Sonic Racing is getting delayed? That's disappointing it feels like Fire & Ice all over again where the extra time didn't even fix some of Amy's graphical effects and it doesn't give her more than one special action. At least there maybe less bugs now.     

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Breaking news: The game got delayed

That's a long delay, I wasn't really expecting that. Maybe a month like Spyro, but not close to 6-months.

Moving it away from such a busy period can only be a good thing, as would the extra development and refinement. I highly doubt any DLC had gone through any phase beyond initial development [so just pen and paper ideas, really], so nothing new will be added that wasn't planned for the base game.

Yeah, I've got no problem with this. Suffice to say, even though I'll end up getting it, it's also not something I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on either. The stuff I care to see changed are things that can't be fixed at this stage regardless so it's a "whatever" kind of situation.

Hopefully, I'll enjoy what I get. I've always known that things could always be worse, as the Nickelodeon Middle-Finger Kart Racer (TM) game clearly shows.

Gotta love the way that off-tune menu music screeches in your ear man.

• Chuckle 1

And there it is. Not surprised given how janky the framerate was in some builds and SD is still working on trying to get Crackdown 3 out the door as well. Hopefully they improve making it more engaging to play too (or at least actually have interesting gameplay to show the next time they showcase it); ASR but "more Sonic, no Sega, teamwork mechanics" wasn't really interesting.

I think this marks the third Sonic game that's been officially announced to have a delay ever since the fallout that was the first two Boom games. Not quite as long as Boom: Fire & Ice (pushed back an entire year, 2015 > 2016) but a bit longer than what Mania received (Spring 2017 > August 2017).

13 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Team Sonic Racing is getting delayed? That's disappointing it feels like Fire & Ice all over again where the extra time didn't even fix some of Amy's graphical effects and it doesn't give her more than one special action. At least there maybe less bugs now.     

Pretty sure they didn't do anything to the game during that delay. Quite sure the game was sat on during that extra polish time.

Delay. Unless its cause of the game running poorly at times I highly doubt it will affect sales. People aren't rushing to preorder this game honestly. Unlike mania and forces the hype is no where best their levels.

Not surprised they delayed TSR, but that’s a pretty long time! I hope they actually do something about the game while it’s delayed though (looking at you Fire & Ice!). It always looked rough and lacklustre to me in its character/stage roster selection and even its gameplay, so I’m not sure if any of those things can be improved upon when it releases in May..

I feel like sega knows it's not going to sell well. And that the only reason it was pushed was cause the game most everyone will be hyping in dec is smash bros  :0

I'm glad they've made this decision , each time they've delayed a game its turned out better for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2018 at 7:01 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Hopefully, I'll enjoy what I get. I've always known that things could always be worse, as the Nickelodeon Middle-Finger Kart Racer (TM) game clearly shows.

Gotta love the way that off-tune menu music screeches in your ear man.

I'm not sure whether that's horrific, tickling, or somehow charming. 

With/without the fact that it's a blatant Mario Kart wii ripoff.

What is that on?

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'm not sure whether that's horrific, tickling, or somehow charming. 

With/without the fact that it's a blatant Mario Kart wii ripoff.

What is that on?

It's a recently released game for all current machines.

Yeah...

An impressive delay, but probably not one that will really show.  Even assuming they were to work on it every extra minute, adding extra characters won't happen because that would almost certainly require them to rewrite massive chunks of the story mode (plus the tie-in comic, though I doubt that would really register).  Might give them time to start preparing some DLC characters, since there's clearly demand; perhaps Team All The Rest, those being Espio, Charmy, and Cream, or just the Babylon Rogues.  New tracks might be in the same boat, as I would imagine there's every chance they'd be more work, and they might impact on the story mode too.  Most likely the delay will only affect general polish, and possibly, hopefully, communication of the mechanics in single-player; perhaps it might bring forward potential DLC too, assuming the budget runs to that (which is questionable).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, FFWF said:

An impressive delay, but probably not one that will really show.  Even assuming they were to work on it every extra minute, adding extra characters won't happen because that would almost certainly require them to rewrite massive chunks of the story mode (plus the tie-in comic, though I doubt that would really register).  Might give them time to start preparing some DLC characters, since there's clearly demand; perhaps Team All The Rest, those being Espio, Charmy, and Cream, or just the Babylon Rogues.  New tracks might be in the same boat, as I would imagine there's every chance they'd be more work, and they might impact on the story mode too.  Most likely the delay will only affect general polish, and possibly, hopefully, communication of the mechanics in single-player; perhaps it might bring forward potential DLC too, assuming the budget runs to that (which is questionable).

There's literally no reason at all that including a larger roster would have to impact the story mode or comic whatsoever. The story is going to be limited to the existing roster. But if the cast was expanded, it would almost-certainly only pertain to the non-story mode scenarios (and let's face it - as a racing game, the focus is not on the story). They would have to record new dialogue lines for existing characters so that speech can be constructed, but that's the extent of it. And said lines might have already been recorded pre-emptiving DLC or an earlier revision of the roster. You don't have to look any further than the Riders series for cast segregation between story and free-play modes.

That said, it's really unlikely that there'll be any significant additions to the game through the delay. It's not going to get more characters or more tracks. But that's because of logistics, and not because of story mode.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Ok, so that’s 6 months - will give them enough time to add in the sea and air elements for racing and rename this Transformed 2.

Hey, I can dream right? 

In all seriousness this is probably a good thing. I have really mediocre feelings towards this title right now. It actually was quite fun to play at EGX - but it’s so boring to watch videos on this title - and I keep forgetting it’s primarily a strategy racer. That’s not a bad thing... it’s just a weird mix of genres, and when you play it it makes sense. 

Like others have said they key fun will be human multiplayer - I am concerned for CPU AI messing up my runs in the single player or story modes - I want to rely purely on myself and not AI in my team to win (it can be bad enough racing AGAINST AI most of the time).

But overall 6 months should hopefully polish this out - and perhaps make it more robust? I dunno - again I came away feeling like it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and was actually pretty good. But then when you watch clips or new videos it just appears dull and boring. I like speedy action racers primarily - and I don’t think this will cut it much for me even if all the other elements are in there. So I guess we’ll see next year.

They totally should have just taken Transformed and expanded it though. That game really peaked for me in terms of what I personally like in racing games and the genre mix at least made sense. Not to mention Sumo really gave Nintendo a run for their money that year and made the better Kart Racer.