Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

that track looks really sweet. dodging lasers as you make your way through the course sounds pretty intense.

sure wish we could see the track in, y'know, the game

Frozen Junkyard. That can't be right. That sounds and looks like something new. A blend of the familiar and the foreign to make something that looks relatively new is unprecedented. I dare say that looks rather cool.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

If I had the power to include Infinite into this game... I'd put him a on edgy tricycle with him pedaling absurdly fast. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

It really makes me wonder what they're doing with the marketing. Either:

- They are trying to create hype and wait to unleash a big trailer showing brand new gameplay of the different, updated look of the game. It's also true you can't hype a thing by showing a concept art and some renders.

- They are ashamed of how the game looks and plays, they don't want to show it and are terrified. Even with the half year delay and all. Maybe got scared by the negative reception from fans and critics.

I really don't know, it's clear they are hiding the footage. But why? Obviously fans will think it's the latter reason I mentioned... Conspiracy theories. Huh.

5 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

If I had the power to include Infinite into this game... I'd put him a on edgy tricycle with him pedaling absurdly fast. xD

That would be funny as heck! If Infinite would be portrait more like this I would have liked him more.

1 hour ago, Jack in the Snow said:

It really makes me wonder what they're doing with the marketing. Either:

- They are trying to create hype and wait to unleash a big trailer showing brand new gameplay of the different, updated look of the game. It's also true you can't hype a thing by showing a concept art and some renders.

- They are ashamed of how the game looks and plays, they don't want to show it and are terrified. Even with the half year delay and all. Maybe got scared by the negative reception from fans and critics.

I really don't know, it's clear they are hiding the footage. But why? Obviously fans will think it's the latter reason I mentioned... Conspiracy theories. Huh.

I think Sega knows or has a feeling, that this game will not really be that good. So they will do the same thing as they did with the Boom games. Just bring them out and hope the can sell a few copies without the internet freaking out too much.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool concept art. At least it looks and sounds unique, besides the Death Egg Robot of course. 

However I will admit I’m as baffled about the marketing for TSR as others are. Concept art reveals this late in development is very odd. In fact it’s been months since we’ve had any new gameplay footage, so I’m guessing this will be like Sonic Boom or Sonic Forces where marketing kicks in a month before the game’s release. Knowing how well THAT worked for the aforementioned games, I’m not so sure. 

Oh and that probably means no review copies either. >>

• Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sonic Riders: 16 Playable Characters
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity: 19 Playable Characters
Sonic Free Riders: 19 Playable Characters
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing: 23 Playable Characters
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed: 25 Playable Characters (32 if you had the PC DLC)
Mario Kart 8: 30 Playable Characters
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 42 Playable Characters

Team Sonic Racing: 15 Playable Characters

Just in case anyone might be wondering if 15 could be considered a nitpick. I wish to assure everyone, that it's not. Especially for the series that known far and wide for having too many characters.

Wow, only one less than Riders?

The small roster wouldn't be bothering me so much if they were putting more effort into each of the racers. It's been a while since I've seen the earlier gameplay videos, but I don't recall the character's having much personality in their animations and most of the character's karts just look pretty generic; it feels like they could've easily added in a couple more characters with how barebones every one has been so far. 

• Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, Spidey3525 said:

I don't recall the character's having much personality in their animations and most of the character's karts just look pretty generic;

Oh shoot, really?

17 minutes ago, Spidey3525 said:

it feels like they could've easily added in a couple more characters with how barebones every one has been so far. 

Yeah, seriously.

2 hours ago, Spidey3525 said:

The small roster wouldn't be bothering me so much if they were putting more effort into each of the racers. It's been a while since I've seen the earlier gameplay videos, but I don't recall the character's having much personality in their animations and most of the character's karts just look pretty generic; it feels like they could've easily added in a couple more characters with how barebones every one has been so far. 

They probably think the personality is going to be carried through solely from the dialogue.

I don't really get that line of thinking if it IS true. Sounds like you'd be wasting the potential of your animated cast of cartoon video game characters by not having them express themselves. 

And apparently all the Ultimates are just speed-ups with character music attached. 

I really don't wanna be too down on this because on its own it doesn't look bad or anything but its really hard not to when what we got before did all this so much better. 

This might just be the trend the games are stuck in now. Bare-minimum, safe execution and very little marketing until the well runs dry.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Wow, only one less than Riders?

Yeah. And keep in mind, the first Riders came out before Silver or Zavok were a thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah. And keep in mind, the first Riders came out before Silver or Zavok were a thing.

Also two of those characters are the same E-10000R and E-10000G with two more being Sega characters. 

22 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Just in case anyone might be wondering if 15 could be considered a nitpick. I wish to assure everyone, that it's not. Especially for the series that's known far and wide for having too many characters.

No. You are absolutely right. This isn't a nitpick. This just shows how much of a freaking downgrade this is compared to the other racing series. And not only that, they added the most save, predictable characters to the roster. The only ones, who were kinda a big surprise, were Zavok and the Chaos. That's it! Nothing more. No really weird choices like Merlina, or Chip, or Zazz or Marine. No, we get the most save characters possible.

And it is not only the characters. The tracks as well fill so freaking save. Seaside Hill, Planet Wisp, Rooftop Run, and that Ice stage that looks way too familiar to Forces' Chemical Plant. It was already hard enough that we had to sacrifice all the other Sega characters for more Sonic, but than not even take advantage of the brand feels even more insulting. They had the chance to go really deep into Sonic's history. This is the first real Sonic only party game since Free Riders. No Mario, no Sega, just Sonic. And they did nothing with it... NOTHING!

If that would have been the case then they just should have never develope this game in the first place. This game feels more and more like a quick filler because Sega does not seem to have anything else for Sonic planned in 2019.  Well... besides the movie that will most likely suck. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 2

11 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sonic Riders: 16 Playable Characters
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity: 19 Playable Characters
Sonic Free Riders: 19 Playable Characters
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing: 23 Playable Characters
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed: 25 Playable Characters (32 if you had the PC DLC)
Mario Kart 8: 30 Playable Characters
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 42 Playable Characters

Team Sonic Racing: 15 Playable Characters

Just in case anyone might be wondering if 15 could be considered a nitpick. I wish to assure everyone, that it's not. Especially for the series that's known far and wide for having too many characters.

This. I totally agree. Though I am expecting at least 1 team as DLC, so that would make it a 18 characters roster.

I really don't get this decision of having so few characters… there are so many opportunities. However I am expecting various NPCs or cameos in some way, I do think there IS fanservice in this game, at least in the tracks. Just not the quantity of fanservice people are expecting.

Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Eggman
Metal Sonic
Tails Doll
Eggman Robo
Metal Knuckles
Super Sonic

Resort Island
Radical City
Regal Ruin
Reactive Factory
Radiant Emerald

...Well at least it has more characters and tracks than the game it shares it's "R" with... not hat seems to be saying much at this point. Sometimes I wonder what happened to SEGA's ambition. It's not like you can't play it safe while being ambitious at the same time. It just depends on how you balance things out.

As I've said before, SEGA's always played a bit conservatively with the legacy Sonic roster (outside of mobile games), TSR is just the most honest about it. For example, Sonic Riders may have had 16 characters altogether, but when you take out characters made for the game, alternate forms and SEGA cameos, there's only eight pre-existing Sonic characters. The All-Star series was giving the usual Sonic fare then going wild with the rest. Only Free Riders poses an actual argument I think, and even then with caveats. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

As I've said before, SEGA's always played a bit conservatively with the legacy Sonic roster (outside of mobile games), TSR is just the most honest about it. For example, Sonic Riders may have had 16 characters altogether, but when you take out characters made for the game, alternate forms and SEGA cameos, there's only eight pre-existing Sonic characters. The All-Star series was giving the usual Sonic fare then going wild with the rest. Only Free Riders poses an actual argument I think, and even then with caveats. 

Yeah, I've been aware of this too. TSR is a different beast, considering that the entire focus seems to be on just incorporating Sonic characters and having you race as them. The Riders games didn't really feel like that was the main concept behind it. Ironically, the story modes for those first two games stood out more than the multiplayer aspect, at least to me. And, as you pointed out, it allowed for SEGA characters to join the roster alongside the Riders exclusive Babylon Rogues and the robot models made specifically for those games. 

To have a game like this where that is the focus and still come out with a roster that's one character short of the original Riders isn't acceptable. I mean, this game has models for Egg Pawns in them. If this were the Riders series, those guys would be playable.  I know they only branch out for the mobile titles but this game has made it exceedingly obvious that they need to knock that off. You know, if they don't feel comfortable using what they have for the Sonic cast then they probably should have kept it SEGA focused. But, that's silly because there's no reason to be conservative with them anyway so they should just stop doing that.

They won't but they should.

17 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

They probably think the personality is going to be carried through solely from the dialogue.

I don't really get that line of thinking if it IS true. Sounds like you'd be wasting the potential of your animated cast of cartoon video game characters by not having them express themselves. 

And apparently all the Ultimates are just speed-ups with character music attached. 

I really don't wanna be too down on this because on its own it doesn't look bad or anything but its really hard not to when what we got before did all this so much better. 

This might just be the trend the games are stuck in now. Bare-minimum, safe execution and very little marketing until the well runs dry.

That too.

There's also the fact that three of those characters were Ulala, Aiai, and Billy Hatcher.

6 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Sometimes I wonder what happened to SEGA's ambition. It's not like you can't play it safe while being ambitious at the same time. It just depends on how you balance things out.

06 and debatably Unleashed happened.

Which makes me look at Generations with a question mark.

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah, I've been aware of this too. TSR is a different beast, considering that the entire focus seems to be on just incorporating Sonic characters and having you race as them.

--in CARS!

The character roster feels great even with its lesser focus of attention to the cast now they can put more quality in tracks, story and other stuff. Characters like chao, Big, Vector, Zavok, and Omega now get the change to be playable. 

10 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

The character roster feels great even with its lesser focus of attention to the cast now they can put more quality in tracks, story and other stuff. Characters like chao, Big, Vector, Zavok, and Omega now get the change to be playable. 

Wow this optimistic mindset in Sonic Fans never changes does it?